IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thermite, do your Shadowrunners use it?
ShadowDragon8685
post Dec 14 2006, 02:02 PM
Post #1

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,445

And no, I don't mean that silly "Thermite Burning Bar" in the BBB, either.

I mean Thermite. It's a powdered mixture of aluminimum and iron oxide which, when ignited, burns at 2,500 degrees centigrade. (When done right; YMMV.)

The cool properties of thermite are:

1. It's very, very, very hot.
2. Because it's Aluminium oxidizing with the oxide of another metal, it dosen't need external oxygen to burn. This means there is literally no way to stop the reaction once it's started.
(Don't just take my word on it if you're skeptical. Check Wikipedia.)
3. It's dirt-cheap and easy to make, plus unless you're trying to "powder" the metals involved (Aluminium and rust) by packing bars of aluminum and rust flakes around a bomb, you can't have a catastrophie while making it. (Just remenber your eyes, mouth, and body protection; this is powdered metal you're working with.)
4. Did I mention that once you start the reaction, there's no stopping it? Not water (they use Thermite for underwater welding!), not CO2 gas, not Halon, not nothing. I'm not sure the stuff won't burn in a vacuum.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 14 2006, 02:09 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

You can stop it burning by cooling it very rapidly or by scattering it. Furthermore, you seriously underestimate the danger of grinding aluminium. It's not fantastically dangerous, but it still takes some care to avoid some nasty things happening.

That said, we use it early and often.

~J

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Dec 14 2006, 02:21 PM
Post #3

Horror

They poured the stuff into liquid nitrogen. I don't see any (practical) ways to stop it if that didn't work.

And as for scattering it, the only way I see of doing that would be to throw a frag grenade into the container of it. And really, are you going to throw a frag grenade into a pile of reacting thermite? Because I'd think you're loco.

The main idea behind using it, though IME, would be as a distraction - arrange it in flowerpots around the target site, possibly with flower-shaped ignition sources. Once they start going off, the fire surpression won't work on it, and people will panic and GTFO.

Or on top of the engine block of every car in the garage - that'll be a nice distraction - though better to put it over the fuel tank if the cars are driven by combustible fuel stored internally.

Or just set off a 55 gallon drum of the stuff on the roof. :)

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Dec 14 2006, 02:29 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Thermate gets used a bit in my games. A few incendiary grenades are often carried around, but they aren't used for much more than immobilizing vehicles and flushing people out.

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)

This would also just serve as a distraction, right?

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Dec 14 2006, 02:55 PM
Post #5

Horror

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Thermate gets used a bit in my games. A few incendiary grenades are often carried around, but they aren't used for much more than immobilizing vehicles and flushing people out.

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)

This would also just serve as a distraction, right?

That depends on your objective; it almost certainly WILL get the building evacuated. :)

Of course, that'll be because there's a torrent of molten hot iron and liquid aluminum oxide pouring down and melting it's way through the building, but if you're good and have fire-resistant suits, you can grab something while everybody's gone.

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Dec 14 2006, 02:57 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 7,534

Wasnt thermite extremely expensive and had an availablity of ultra high?

Forgot the numbers.

Edit: ok, not that bad. Avail: 12/14 days; SI: 2; 500 Nuyen/kg (see kg, not pounds or feet or gallons)

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Dec 14 2006, 03:02 PM
Post #7

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

The usability of thermite is often questionable in my opinion.

Welding is not somethings my runners had to do.

Silent destruction certainly is something that does come up.

Using a thermite bar to open something is not very realistic, and a controlled thermite reaction takes too much time and preparation.

If you go custom and aim for destructive value, try putting magnesium in a thermite tube.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Dec 14 2006, 03:08 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

Our group uses it a lot.

Aside from the normal use for property destruction or heavy-duty cutting, we've used it to kill several things with absurd regenerative powers.
A character of mine also forced a guy's face down into a burning thermite charge and held him there until he stopped twitching, but he had it coming. (He'd used elementals and spirits to bury 30-40 people alive behind tons of rock, though we were only going to beat the crap out of him and turn him over to our employer, until he had the bright idea to use one of his spirits to hold our rigger hostage to avoid capture, and hurt her badly in the process. The spirit got banished, and he died screaming.)
In addition, I think we used a burning bar as a threat to get someone talking, but never had to actually fire it up and make good on it, fortunately.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Dec 14 2006, 03:22 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Of course, that'll be because there's a torrent of molten hot iron and liquid aluminum oxide pouring down and melting it's way through the building, but if you're good and have fire-resistant suits, you can grab something while everybody's gone.

Considering how long it will take for pile of thermite to burn through a layer of reinforced concrete underneath it, it seems pretty unlikely you're going to get a lot of it melting its way through much further than the spaces just below the roof. Depending on the type of building, you'd probably manage to get the roof on fire which, in my view, still only counts as a distraction. At any rate, seems to me like it'd be much easier to fire an incendiary mortar round onto the roof than to smuggle a half-ton metal container on there.

QUOTE (Ryu)
Silent destruction certainly is something that does come up.

Thermite is only "silent" in the same sense that a sound suppressed gunshot is -- ie. it makes a whole damn lot of noise. But if the option is high explosives, it's often the better option for a shadowrunner.

For burning through things, a thermic lance is much more effective than a straight burning agent like thermite. Those have also seen use in my games.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Dec 14 2006, 07:10 PM
Post #10

Awakened Asset

I know about the noise; we did some thermite burning in school - I know why I loved the natural sciences. I think that you can use it in an industrial environment without anyone not knowing the "right" sounds of the place being the wiser. As oposed to anyone near a major explosion.

We did not need thermite so far because noise is no issue if you are far away, and much destruction can be caused with the right technical skills alone. As in taking a hammer to the right places of the controlling electronics.

+Quote Post
Marmot
post Dec 14 2006, 07:40 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 10,248

Screw thermite, we had our troll attack someone with a thermal lance in the genitals once. Now if that isn't hardcore, I don't know what is.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Dec 14 2006, 09:19 PM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

QUOTE (Marmot)
Screw thermite, we had our troll attack someone with a thermal lance in the genitals once. Now if that isn't hardcore, I don't know what is.

The guy getting back up and fighting would be pretty hardcore.

+Quote Post
Marmot
post Dec 14 2006, 10:07 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 10,248

This is true, but the question would then be: After taking a thermal lance to the genitals, would you want to get back up?

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Dec 14 2006, 10:27 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

I am still trying to figure out a way of using termites on a run :P.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Dec 14 2006, 10:30 PM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

The answer is very carefully. It's kinda like you shouldn't be running with scissors... oh you mean... :-P

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Dec 14 2006, 10:41 PM
Post #16

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

We used carpenter ants, is that close enough?

Snuck into a site earlier and seeded the area with the ants. Waited til they called an exterminator and intercepted the call. Showed up as the exterminators.

:)

Thermite can make an effective interrogation tool. I'll leave it at that.

:D

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Dec 14 2006, 10:44 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

Nice. Question for ya, what did ya stick inside your extermination cans for equipment?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 14 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #18

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

We got offered a run by the U.B. It may or may not involve termites.

~J

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Dec 14 2006, 11:57 PM
Post #19

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

thermite is an ideal way to destroy things because it is rediculously easy to aquire.

You need:

Scrap iron
Aluminum
Some way to set it off (magnesium and model rocket fuses)

for the from-the-barrens-down-on-his-luck runner type, it's right next to AK-47s as an everyday weapon.

4. Did I mention that once you start the reaction, there's no stopping it? Not water (they use Thermite for underwater welding!), not CO2 gas, not Halon, not nothing. I'm not sure the stuff won't burn in a vacuum.

it would, because you have an oxygen supply in solid form (FeO2=iron oxide=rust)
but there's no knowing how effective it will be.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Dec 15 2006, 12:06 AM
Post #20

Horror

I know - that's why it works underwater. :)

I guess it depends on the kind of vacuum - are we talking orbit, or a vacuum chamber? If we're talking orbit, it would probably disperse, but in a vac chamber, it might work... But it woulden't look normal. No flame - just metal getting hotter and hotter...

Plus, setting it off in vacuum would be hard.

+Quote Post
Sir_Psycho
post Dec 15 2006, 05:03 AM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,361

Is thermite like this in any of the rulebooks?

If not, anyone want to cook up some house rules?

+Quote Post
Kesslan
post Dec 15 2006, 06:09 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,116

Thermite is one of those oddities in the rulebooks. I think part of the only reason it's so expensive and has such a high avail raiting. Isnt because it's hard to use, but because at least in the every day setting... you really just dont see it being used at all.

It's one of those specialty industrial/military application type things. And even then it's not too common. But in the end if your careful, and know what your doing, it's stupid easy to make.

Personally I've rarely ever used incindiaries on runs. And the few times I did, it was almost allways to burn evidence. Nothing makes ash out of evidence better than some incidiaries the fire department cant put out! Woo!

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Dec 15 2006, 07:27 AM
Post #23

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (Kesslan)
Thermite is one of those oddities in the rulebooks...

...It's one of those specialty industrial/military application type things. And even then it's not too common. But in the end if your careful, and know what your doing, it's stupid easy to make.

...expecially for someone (like my retired character Leela) who has Demolitions with Chemistry, Metallurgy, and Explosives Background knowledge.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Dec 15 2006, 09:23 AM
Post #24

Awakened Asset

About the only problem one might have producing thermite is accidentially igniting the aluminium while grinding it, right?

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Dec 15 2006, 09:51 AM
Post #25

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

One player of mine has a tendency to use burning bars on down vampires (regen that sucker!) another had the tendancy to try and work Thermite into every plan, ever only for it to get vetoed by the saner (all the rest) parts of the team. I think his best one was trying to work out how much termite it would take to burn through thirty floors of the Renraku Arc to allow the depositing of a box on a particular floor.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:25 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.