Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kerris, Nerfing a Drone Rigger
Kerris
post Dec 15 2006, 05:20 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,360

I recently started a SR4 campaign, and am slowly learning how to effectively run this game (so it's fun for everyone involved). However, one of the major fun detractors is that one of the characters is a drone rigger who has four combat drones. Since his drones get 3 initiative passes, a large part of the combat turn is spent rolling attacks for these drones, and combat is very slow. Also, his drones, of course, have Very Large Guns mounted on them (Ingram White Knights, to be specific). The lackeys I've been throwing at them can't stand up to that (and some of the harder foes can't either). This makes combat even less fun for everybody else, since they shoot at a couple guys, they miss, and then the guys are dead (or at least mortally wounded and pulling themselves into cover) due to these drones.

So, my question is this: Should I limit his drone usage out of game? Or should I continue to attempt to take out his drones in-game? Do you guys have any tactics against flying drones with large guns that might be useful?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Dec 15 2006, 05:26 PM
Post #2

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

Jammers. cheap and easy.

Stick and Shock Ammo, cheap and easy.

Counter Rigger hack or spoof the drones and have the drones shoot at the team.

After that we get into what usually happens when heavy weaponry is used frequently, someone sends bigger, better, badder, entirely legal drones looking for the illegal ones.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Dec 15 2006, 05:30 PM
Post #3

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

Lone Star showing up a lot more often with even bigger guns?

Someone regularly using LMGs in downtown areas is going to get noticed, even in Seattle of the 2060s.

While they're nice weapons and sometimes nothing else will do, LMGs aren't exactly "shadowy".

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 15 2006, 05:45 PM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

You might get more specific answers in the SR4 forum. That said:

IMO, as you get into your stride, you'll probably discover that nerfing isn't necessary. Combat Riggers will munch just about anything in straight-up combat, but drone mobility is, for the more combat-effective chassis and models, highly limited—things like doors, hallways, stairwells, etc. all pose problems.

So my answer would be, "stop having all of your fights occur in wide open terrain".

Also, please use a thread title meaningful to the topic. Your username automatically appears next to the title, we don't it again on that line :)

~J

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Dec 15 2006, 05:49 PM
Post #5

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

Terrain is one of the fastest ways to level the playing field. I concur. I know that when I first started GMing, even when the terrain was described by me as inside a building, narrow alleyways, etc, when combat got rolling, my descriptions would get quickly forgotten by both me and my players, because it just took a back seat to trying to keep everything running smoothly. Thus, even in buildings, my fights would be "out in the open". Over time, it gets easier to incorporate, and can definitely provide some good opportunities for new tactics and different combats.

+Quote Post
Kerris
post Dec 15 2006, 05:55 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

I actually considered the "have fights inside" option, but when the team needs to escape from somewhere, it's going to be outside at some point. I'll see what I can do about it, though. My last combat had some cool terrain, though. I was proud of that terrain (yay for shipping yards).

As for the other options, they're much appreciated. Some of them, I'm not sure I can justify... like the Stick-n-shock ammo just doesn't make sense until somebody specifically knows they're fighting this exact team. Same with a counter-rigger. Random hacker guy might not be a bad idea, though.

I like the idea of throwing Lone Star at them more often, though. It's already worked once, in terms of getting the characters to be more shadowy. (The rigger had guns mounted on his van... it was parked in a residential area... somebody called security. They're just lucky I was nice enough to do it when the whole team was back from recon, and it wasn't just the Technomancer in the back of the van).

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Dec 15 2006, 05:58 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

Thirst thing would be a News Report where one official promises to end the threat of heavily armed combat drones by creating a taskforce. (so the players are warned, even if they don't know it :P).

The fastest way to neutralize the drones would be hackers (they can virtually be on-site really fast). The rigger most likely has no chance to protect all drones simultaneously.
The other suggestions so far are also good ;).

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 15 2006, 06:00 PM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Kerris @ Dec 15 2006, 12:55 PM)
when the team needs to escape from somewhere, it's going to be outside at some point.  I'll see what I can do about it, though.

So start the fight decently before it gets to that point. Even better, that way you can throw opposition at the rest of the team that might otherwise be too much, so they have to pick off the opposition and otherwise slow them down while they dash for the exit, where the cavalry waits with guns blazing.

In a stand-up, outdoor fight, the Rigger is going to be eating people. There isn't really a way around it, and usually doesn't need to be.

~J

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Dec 15 2006, 06:10 PM
Post #9

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

usually there's this thing called "Discrection" that keeps riggers in check.

unless you're in the middle of Redmond, (where you would WANT a quartet of LMG packing drones)

the star tends to get called right quick when people hear LMGs going off.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Dec 15 2006, 06:14 PM
Post #10

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

QUOTE (Kerris)
As for the other options, they're much appreciated. Some of them, I'm not sure I can justify... like the Stick-n-shock ammo just doesn't make sense until somebody specifically knows they're fighting this exact team.

Stick and Shock is legal(restricted), and used to stun people. It's more likely to be used by standard security forces then Gel rounds. I would expect a lot of armed security guards to come equiped with stick and shock ammo as the standard ammo load.

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Dec 15 2006, 06:17 PM
Post #11

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

as well as a lot of runners. you never know when you might need someone alive. (for a voice print lock for example.

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Dec 15 2006, 06:27 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 7,534

If he is a decent rigger his combat drones are vector thrust. Terrain is no problem for them, they are even better than humans there.

A combat rigger is an army. The only way to stop a combat rigger is to force secret runs. And when i was a gard and would see a couple of combat drones coming my way, I would be calling LoneStar with a mob master and a SAWT team.

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Dec 15 2006, 06:44 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

QUOTE (Kerris)
As for the other options, they're much appreciated. Some of them, I'm not sure I can justify... like the Stick-n-shock ammo just doesn't make sense until somebody specifically knows they're fighting this exact team. Same with a counter-rigger. Random hacker guy might not be a bad idea, though.

Stick-n-Shock is, as above, very very common. Also, keep in mind that your team isn't the first to come up with combat drones. Even if the guards don't have them loaded, it's likely that they have a locker with a couple extra guns....

As for a counter-rigger - most mid sized targets will have a security expert. He will very often be a rigger, to control their own drones. Even if he's not, again, many places are familiar with the idea of drones assaulting their compounds. They'll likely have someone on call.

it's not like "Rigger" is a very specialized and uncommon archetype....

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Dec 15 2006, 06:59 PM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

QUOTE (DireRadiant)
QUOTE (Kerris @ Dec 15 2006, 12:55 PM)
As for the other options, they're much appreciated.  Some of them, I'm not sure I can justify... like the Stick-n-shock ammo just doesn't make sense until somebody specifically knows they're fighting this exact team.

Stick and Shock is legal(restricted), and used to stun people. It's more likely to be used by standard security forces then Gel rounds. I would expect a lot of armed security guards to come equiped with stick and shock ammo as the standard ammo load.

That's pretty much what I was going to say. It also has the benefit of capturing them alive, immediately lowering their fighting capabilities, dropping drones in their tracks, and not being as destructive to company property.

Drones are probably more common than you give them credit for. If your starting rigger character can begin with them, the guys who have been running the shadows for a while would have even better ones. Any target worth hitting should have preparations in place for magical, matrix, and rigged opposition.

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Dec 15 2006, 07:04 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 7,534

Btw: Why have guards at all? Drones are much much cheaper and more effective.

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Dec 15 2006, 07:08 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

In fights? Certainly. Assessing threats in a crowded environment? Probably not.

+Quote Post
Caine Hazen
post Dec 15 2006, 07:37 PM
Post #17

MechRigger Delux

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 1,657

QUOTE (Butterblume)
In fights? Certainly. Assessing threats in a crowded environment? Probably not.

That's what autosofts are for... ClearSight and pattern recognition software so that officers aren't in danger... plus if you can a few rigged to recognize subtler threats, all the better. There's no need for leathal action on the drones.. a few tazers, stick and shock or pepper spray drones for riot control would be more effective than hazard duty pay for Lone Star.

Your down side to this would be either the need for expensice (rating 6+) signal that would need encrypted, or the need to send riggers out in patrol cars with lower signal...

-- I only play a rigger on Trid...

+Quote Post
Kasheu
post Dec 15 2006, 07:43 PM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 8,179

radiated areas tend to work well if he doesnt have them hardened plus if he's one to send his drones out in attack mode who's defending him? shadowrunners arent the only thing that can be stealthy heh. also maybe have mages with elementals. nothing worse for a combat drone with heavy weapons than having its ammo set off by a fire elemental.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Dec 15 2006, 09:16 PM
Post #19

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

I would think carefully before you decide to frag over a rigger.

Remember, he loses his drones, he's just lost it all. He'll probably be turned off by Shadowrun completely, "I was having fun, then the DM took away everything I could do." Drones are expensive, frequently more than the whole team makes in a run. You frag them over, and he's out of options, since all his resources are represented by that drone (squad).

+Quote Post
Kerris
post Dec 15 2006, 09:30 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

That's precisely why I didn't want to have to take them away out of game. He made the character, it's all in the rules... he should have his drones. But they should also be in danger. They're robots. They're not invincible killing machines. And the other players need to have a chance to do something in combat.

Again, thank you all for the responses.

As per the stick-n-shock discussion - next time they infiltrate a corp, I'll definitely put that into effect. I think the next run is going to be information-gathering... specifically on the Eighty-Eights. I figure once they know that the rigger is coming after them, they'd go out and get some stick-n-shock, since they probably don't already have it (or, at least, much of it).

Also, one thing I've thought of is storage space. I'm not sure if he can fit all of his drones in his van, and thus, I'm not sure if he can bring all his drones on a run. I'll look into it.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 15 2006, 10:27 PM
Post #21

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Maybe try sending the team on a few runs that don't require combat, like surveillance (Riggers are great for that).

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Dec 15 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #22

Horror

Another thing you could do is lock the drones into "Plot-Combat". By which I mean, feed the drones large amounts of fodder NPCs, tell the rigger he's chewing through them, and let the others deal with the dice.

For example, in a shipping yard - lots of ways to come at the PCs. Let the drones lock down some avenues, but there's more avenues than drones. (Right?)

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Dec 15 2006, 11:44 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

that's another good thing about the stick-n-shock. If the PCs win the battle the drones are barely nicked, but they were negated during the fight.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Dec 16 2006, 12:43 AM
Post #24

Horror

QUOTE (James McMurray)
that's another good thing about the stick-n-shock. If the PCs win the battle the drones are barely nicked, but they were negated during the fight.

There's just one problem with stick'n'shock...

Exactly what kind of idiot dosen't have his drone's shell grounded and electrically insulated from it's electronic components? For that matter, I thought computers in 2070 were optical - after all, everybody busted my chops about how an EMP bomb woulden't do anything. Why should tiny electrical capacitors be any better?

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Dec 16 2006, 12:49 AM
Post #25

Great Dragon

It's called nonconductive armor, and it already has game effects.

If you want a real world explanation you'll have to look elsewhere. :)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:28 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.