Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Yet Another Grenade Thread, Things that make ya go BOOM
Aaron
post Dec 21 2006, 01:27 PM
Post #1

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

Has anybody tried applying the mechanics for suppressive fire to grenade resolution? If you have, how did that work out?

It occurred to me while reading about the Storm power in SM that the case of suppressive fire (being caught in an area where metal is flying at high velocity) bears a lot of similarity to a grenade blast (being caught in an area where metal is flying at high velocity).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Dec 21 2006, 03:07 PM
Post #2

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

Well, the thing about a grenade blast is how fast it's over. If you know it's out there, and you know you're behind cover, you're good. If you don't know it's there, and you're exposed, well, you're probably pretty effectively "suppressed".

A single grenade just doesn't last long enough to have the same effect as suppressive fire really.

Now, if there has been a grenade thrown, and you're still alive, sure, you're going to be careful about exposing yourself, but you're also going to try and move to eliminate the thrower once you're reasonably certain you can do so.

With suppressive fire, you're keeping them down so that they aren't shooting at you (hopefully), usually so someone else can move.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Dec 21 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #3

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,715

There needs to be a surpressive grenade.
Something that burns for a few seconds and spits a lot of fire and sparks and other unpleasant crap in a several meter radius. Would that be vaguely like white phosphorous? I don't know much about grenades, but somebody out there does, I'd wager.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Dec 21 2006, 03:35 PM
Post #4

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

The grenade lands, rolls around, pops up an eyestalk, and cherrfully and loudly says, "Hi, I'm a class 5 anti personell smart grenade! Please be warned of the following side effects. Bleeding, pain, visual distortion, aural discomfort, temporal distortions, possible broken bones, nausea, and lots of other unpleasant things we don't want to think about. Ares Corporation disavows all laibility for the use of this smart grenade, now available in special bulk discount shipments. Call 89759234857. No no, don't run away, I go off if you ..."

BOOM

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Dec 21 2006, 03:39 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

QUOTE (DireRadiant)
No no, don't run away, I go off if you ...

BOOM

There's an AI in that grenade... poor AI...

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Dec 21 2006, 03:51 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Demerzel)
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Dec 21 2006, 07:35 AM)

BOOM

There's no reason to assume that an artificial intelligence would have motivations or basic instincts consistent with a biological being that was created through natural selection.
In other words, it is an adaptive trait, "not wanting to die", one that is generally shared by most things that have succeeded in surviving and evolving. An artificial intelligence has no inherent reason to not want to die unless it is programmed to. For the grenade, the ultimate joy and rapture is explosive oblivion and a job well done. ;)

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Dec 21 2006, 04:04 PM
Post #7

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (Demerzel @ Dec 21 2006, 10:39 AM)
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Dec 21 2006, 07:35 AM)

BOOM

There's no reason to assume that an artificial intelligence would have motivations or basic instincts consistent with a biological being that was created through natural selection.
In other words, it is an adaptive trait, "not wanting to die", one that is generally shared by most things that have succeeded in surviving and evolving. An artificial intelligence has no inherent reason to not want to die unless it is programmed to. For the grenade, the ultimate joy and rapture is explosive oblivion and a job well done. ;)

...Bomb#20: "In the beginning, there was darkness. And the darkness was without form, and void".

Boiler: "What the hell is he talking about?"

Bomb#20: "And in addition to the darkness there was also me. And I moved upon the face of the darkness. And I saw that I was alone. Let there be light."

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post Dec 21 2006, 04:58 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,301

I'd go with the classic: "I'm a thirty second bomb! I'm a thirty second bomb! Twenty-nine! Twenty-eight! Twenty-seven!..."

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Dec 21 2006, 05:29 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Something that burns for a few seconds and spits a lot of fire and sparks and other unpleasant crap in a several meter radius. Would that be vaguely like white phosphorous?

WP munitions in a smoke or anti-personnel application usually explode and spread their content in one go, the phosphorous then continuing to burn on the ground and in the air for a while. Other incendiary weapons will simply burn intensely without being spread over a significant area. I can't think of a weapon with applications similar to grenades that would continue to launch projectiles over a period of time.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Dec 21 2006, 05:33 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Something that burns for a few seconds and spits a lot of fire and sparks and other unpleasant crap in a several meter radius. Would that be vaguely like white phosphorous?

WP munitions in a smoke or anti-personnel application usually explode and spread their content in one go, the phosphorous then continuing to burn on the ground and in the air for a while. Other incendiary weapons will simply burn intensely without being spread over a significant area. I can't think of a weapon with applications similar to grenades that would continue to launch projectiles over a period of time.

Cool, thanks.
But, in your opinion, would such a device be useful?

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Dec 21 2006, 05:36 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

Some fireworks launch projectiles over a period of time. But unless you are wearing your kerosene drenched cotton wool armor, that's not really an issue :wobble:.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Dec 21 2006, 06:00 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
But, in your opinion, would such a device be useful?

I'd say no. It seems to me the most efficient use of explosives or pyrotechnics in a small package is to make it all go off at once. This allows it to destroy larger structures, penetrate better, have a greater area of effect, etc. It also means that if you happen to catch the enemy unawares, you are more likely to kill him than suppress him. If you do want to suppress an enemy, just keep firing more at him. Like this.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Dec 21 2006, 06:10 PM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 98

I only caught the first few seconds of that clip (I'm at work), but someone downrange is going to have a really, really bad day.

The problem is going to be when players get access to FA grenade launchers. Then they're going to want to COMBINE suppressive fire and grenades...

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Dec 21 2006, 06:14 PM
Post #14

Well all right then. Thanks. :-)

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Dec 21 2006, 06:30 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

This would function better as a drone, I think.

Something in line with the iBall - you toss it. It lands, and uses small legs to right itself, then create a tripod. It then begins spewing fletchettes in a random pattern, or a circle, or some such.

I say fletchettes because I'm still stuck on the idea of peeling off tiny slivers of a disk to make them. Which would mean it was easier to create them on the fly....

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Dec 21 2006, 06:35 PM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 98

Something like the shuriken weapons from WH40k, or the flywheel gun from CP2020? Amusing thought, but I always wondered what their penetration would be like.

If you had the cash (and with any luck, we'll be seeing prices drop again with SR4), building a laser-firing drone you could toss into a room should be doable.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Dec 21 2006, 06:37 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Shrike30)
If you had the cash (and with any luck, we'll be seeing prices drop again with SR4), building a laser-firing drone you could toss into a room should be doable.

I'm sure it would. Does someone have an application in mind for such a thing -- something actual grenades would not be more effective at?

+Quote Post
kzt
post Dec 21 2006, 06:40 PM
Post #18

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
I'm sure it would. Does someone have an application in mind for such a thing -- something actual grenades would not be more effective at?

I used grenades with prox sensors to keep people from following us and to deny corridors and such.

+Quote Post
Lazerface
post Dec 21 2006, 07:15 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 7,458

So, either the talking bomb is like the talking toaster from Red Dwarf, or the Tachikomas from GITS?

+Quote Post
knasser
post Dec 21 2006, 08:40 PM
Post #20

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...Bomb#20: "In the beginning, there was darkness. And the darkness was without form, and void".

Bomb#20: "And in addition to the darkness there was also me. And I moved upon the face of the darkness. And I saw that I was alone. Let there be light."

How do you know you exist?

Hmmm. Well... I think therefore I am!

That's good. That's very very good. Now, how do you know anything else exists?

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Dec 21 2006, 08:42 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

QUOTE (knasser)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Dec 21 2006, 04:04 PM)

How do you know you exist?

Hmmm. Well... I think therefore I am!

That's good. That's very very good. Now, how do you know anything else exists?

When I blow up, I think it also blows up?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 21 2006, 09:31 PM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

QUOTE (DireRadiant)
The grenade lands, rolls around, pops up an eyestalk, and cherrfully and loudly says, "Hi, I'm a class 5 anti personell smart grenade! Please be warned of the following side effects. Bleeding, pain, visual distortion, aural discomfort, temporal distortions, possible broken bones, nausea, and lots of other unpleasant things we don't want to think about. Ares Corporation disavows all laibility for the use of this smart grenade, now available in special bulk discount shipments. Call 89759234857. No no, don't run away, I go off if you ..."

BOOM

one of the coolest ideas in Starship Troopers (the book) was a grenade that shouted "i'm a bomb! i'm a bomb! 29! 28! 27!..."

+Quote Post
Trax
post Dec 21 2006, 09:50 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,924

I've read the book, but I don't remember that one.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 21 2006, 09:51 PM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

it's right towards the beginning. Johnny jumps through a wall into a church or something, while they're raiding that Skinny city.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Dec 21 2006, 10:30 PM
Post #25

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

Just for reference: Grenades

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 07:07 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.