IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Combat paralysis and Cybercombat, does it apply?
TheUrbanMonkey
post Dec 31 2006, 06:19 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,192

Couldn't find anything in the archives about this, so here goes:

Does the quality Combat paralysis apply to cybercombat?

on the one hand, it seems like it should, just out of common sense.

on the other hand, cybercombat is so different, thematically, than real combat that perhaps it shouldn't.

Therefore, i ask you, the people of the forums, your opinions on the topic.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Dec 31 2006, 06:23 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 211

I would say that it should apply as you are under attack and the dangers are just as real as for physical combat.

+Quote Post
TheUrbanMonkey
post Dec 31 2006, 06:47 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 10,192

QUOTE (Dafmeister)
I would say that it should apply as you are under attack and the dangers are just as real as for physical combat.

that was my gut reaction, but if you think about it, the only time the dangers are as real as in meatspace are when you're up against Black IC... so, perhaps only then should Combat Paralysis apply...

+Quote Post
Mikado
post Dec 31 2006, 06:48 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,286

I would say that Combat paralysis disrupts the normal "flight or fight" response generated when you enter a frightening situation. In a normal person you ether run for cover or fight it out in a fearful situation. With combat paralysis you stand there drooling as your brain can't decide what is the correct course of action. If that is the case it would not matter if combat was physical, astral or matrix.

+Quote Post
laughingowl
post Jan 1 2007, 03:49 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,895

It applies anytime you belive you are in danger 'in combat'.

It is very possible in a miltary 'training' scenario. IT doesnt hit you at all.

Sure you hear machine gun fire around you. Sure you are 'acting' like you were in combat. Hwoever you know you are NOT.

B the same token.

You walking down the street and an old Petrol bik backfires. You very likely freeze as for a second you brain think you are in combat.

Cybercombt (o your brain) is just as real a physical combat (wether in real danger or not), so if you THINK you are in combat boom you are hit with the penalty.

Now the same token.

Had somebody with a very bad case of it in SR3. Has the mage 'convince' them it was nothing but a miles gear (fake bullets) practice scenario. While the mage sustained the spell (to mask the bullet holes, etc) the person was able to ignore it.

IMO its all about if your brain THINKs you are in combat.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:55 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.