Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spell Threading (Meta-Magic)
Ravor
post Jan 1 2007, 07:04 PM
Post #1

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,361

Although in the non-Shadowrun setting I'm going to be starting up shortly I'm planning on giving this to all Mages, I think it might be a useful Metamagic in a straight Shadowrun game although I think it needs some serious tweeking in order to be balanced.

Spell Threading is the art of capturing Magic into a stable Spell Matrix that is fueled by a portion of the Mage's own Magic. In order to make use of it a Mage casts a spell, taking Drain as normal, but instead of releasing the spell into the world he instead binds it around his own soul (It's not possible at this time to bind a Matrix into another's soul/Magic, but you can bet people are researching the idea, and whether or not that would allow Mundanes a form of Magic.) to be released at a later time without Drain.

However, until released, each Threaded Spell is treated as a Broken Geasa and must be cast at the same Force it was Threaded with using the Mage's new Magic Score. (Yes, that means that if you have Magic (5) the first Threaded Spell can only be Force 8 at most, with the second Force 6, ect...)

Any ideas on balancing this?

Thanks,

*EDIT*

I am also assuming that a Mage could simply release any number of held Spell Matrix(s) without actually having the spells go off if he was in a bind and suddenly needed his full Magic, or if he wanted to use one of his more powerful Threaded Spells and couldn't because he Threaded enough spells that he couldn't cast the Force required.

Or perhaps only allow him to release the Spell Matrixes one at a time?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Jan 1 2007, 08:01 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 392

You might want to try something like Spell Matrices equal to Initiate Grade. Place any spell one spell in each matrix without force. When the initiate casts the spell he chooses the force at which to cast it (using normal rules). The initiate gets a number of dice equal to initiate grade to resist drain. Prereqs: Anchoring, Quickening, Filtering, Cleansing.

This way it still fits in with the basic rules more or less, requires less bookkeeping, and still makes it relatively difficult to get for the amount of power you get from it. Remember, any of the higher end ED stuff should still be a ways away. Although with the way that Street Magic was written that may not apply anymore.

Horrors, and False Men, and Legendary Items oh my!

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Jan 1 2007, 09:34 PM
Post #3

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

I might still be dense from too much New Year's Eve party, but how is this not Anchoring?

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Jan 2 2007, 12:12 AM
Post #4

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Well, basically instead of paying Karma to set up the Anchor, you tie up a point of Magic and can have more of them active at any given time if you are willing to weaken yourself so.

I had forgotten about the Anchoring Meta-Magic after seeing what a Karma Sink it and Quickening were. :oops:

So instead of a 'new Meta-Magic', what do people think about 'balance' if Quickening and Anchoring could be used by tying up Magic instead of Karma if a Mage choose?

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Jan 2 2007, 01:36 AM
Post #5

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

It seems to me that it would be trivializing delayed spells. The game fluff and the mechanics both seem to say that magic that lacks direct influence by some entity's will is a Big Deal, especially when performed on the fly.

On the other hand, it's your non-Shadowrun game. You could use twelve-sided dice and rule that only Scientologists can use magic. Knock yourself out.

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Jan 2 2007, 08:42 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 392

QUOTE (Aaron)
It seems to me that it would be trivializing delayed spells. The game fluff and the mechanics both seem to say that magic that lacks direct influence by some entity's will is a Big Deal, especially when performed on the fly.

On the other hand, it's your non-Shadowrun game. You could use twelve-sided dice and rule that only Scientologists can use magic. Knock yourself out.

Yeah but ED is deeply tied into SR and both have almost exactly the same Magic rules. Spell matrices in ED were created because astral space was getting so tainted by Horrors (shadow spirits) that you couldn't cast spells raw without killing yourself or opening yourself up to "possession/inhabitation."

SR Magic is still in the early phases of the "up cycle" of magic. As such astral space is still relatively clean so "raw" magic can still be used without dying. In ED, even in clean areas you still take "warping" damage from raw magic. This is 100% the same as Drain (adjusting for differences in game system). Thus magic in Safe Areas of ED and in SR are exactly the same.

In SR the prevalence of background counts and other astral corruptions/anomalies seem to be increasing. This implies that the astral space in SR is slowly approaching ED levels. This implies that eventually SR mages would come up with the same solution that ED mages invented. In fact Centering and Filtering are proto-spell matrices (hence why I included them in my prereqs). If someone's game is ready to advance that 1 step (which Ravor's probably is since it's all mages) then Spell Matrices are perfectly in line.

Neither Ravor's nor my method of doing this trivialize delayed spells or game fluff/mechanics. In his the mage is giving up Magic points to maintain that spell thus making him weaker for every spell he holds. I'd say that's a pretty big penalty to the mage. Mine doesn't have that drawback but only specialized 5th level initiates can get it and you still suffer drain as usual. Plus in both versions you can still cast the spell as delayed and then it would be delayed from time of release.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:50 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.