Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fetishes, Not Kinky Sex
Trigger
post Jan 4 2007, 06:37 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,215

I was wondering about the use of fetishes and their combination in tattooing. In Street Magic all it says is that they have to be made from a refined or radical reagent and then processed into the fetish to be sold or attuned later. If say the enchanter made the fetish from various plants and berries and turned them into an ink to act as the fetish. That ink could then be used for the application of a tattoo and still be the same ink and thus still be attuned.

I myself don't see any problem with this, since it both costs more to get the fetish (both the cost of the fetish and the cost of getting it done) and it is more costly to replace the fetish if someone were to remove, and possibly a lot more lethal to remove a fetish (loss of skin or limbs...ouch). I would also rule that the fetish would have to be reapplied every few years to maintain the quality of it and the amount of fetish crafted ink in the skin.

What are your guys thoughts on this? And yes, I did do some searching on the topic already, but none of the other threads quite answered the question or went into any real details that could be the mechanics for it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon
post Jan 4 2007, 08:00 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,754

Sounds like a munchkin move to me. I wouldn't allow it. Fetishes are not that expensive (and neither are tattoos); money is not a significant drawback. The drawback of a fetish is having an item that can be lost or destroyed, and losing skin is not something PCs have to worry about except in situations where they have bigger problems than losing a fetish.

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post Jan 4 2007, 08:13 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 8,445

If they are going to have a tatoo that is a fetish, then they run the risk of any physical damage done to them 'breaking' the fetish due to bullets or a blade ripping through the inked skin. It would be a GM call for the odds, but you also have the same risk for a physical fetish.
Then you have to worry about where the player puts the tatoo fetish... there are some players who would put it in very hard to hit spots just for that reason, though there are ways around everything. :vegm:

+Quote Post
Mortax
post Jan 4 2007, 08:51 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,950

Hooker with a thing for razor blades?

+Quote Post
Trigger
post Jan 4 2007, 08:57 AM
Post #5

Running Target

QUOTE (Mortax)
Hooker with a thing for razor blades?

Good thing or bad thing?

Bad if you got those tat fetishes...

But good every other way that comes immediately to my mind. ;)

+Quote Post
2bit
post Jan 4 2007, 07:37 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,526

The rules for what can be a fetish are wide open, really.

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Jan 5 2007, 01:29 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,629

Tatoos are better replicated with Quickened spells ... you get the tattoo to 'Bind' the spell to your body.

Fetishes are things to grip, hold, or wiggle.

+Quote Post
Drraagh
post Jan 5 2007, 04:43 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,631

QUOTE (Wakshaani)
Fetishes are things to grip, hold, or wiggle.

I read that and there was just one thing that came to mind....

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Jan 5 2007, 05:09 AM
Post #9

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Well personally I would allow a tattoo fetish, but only if it were displayed as openly as I would require a physical fetish to be during Spellcasting. So no, you can't tattoo your fetish on your left butt cheek unless your mojo includes a 'full moon'. Of course I also wouldn't allow c**** rings as fetishes either unless the character's magic included indecent exposure.

+Quote Post
Banaticus
post Jan 5 2007, 05:20 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,574

This isn't DnD where the cleric must present his holy symbol while turning undead -- fetishes don't have to be physically presented when used, they can stay hidden away in pockets or on necklaces underneath shirts or whatever.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Jan 5 2007, 05:42 AM
Post #11

Cybernetic Blood Mage

QUOTE (Banaticus)
This isn't DnD where the cleric must present his holy symbol while turning undead -- fetishes don't have to be physically presented when used, they can stay hidden away in pockets or on necklaces underneath shirts or whatever.

Hmm, after quick search through the books it seems that you are correct and that I was thinking of the rules for Geas Talisman which appear to be the only type of fetish that must be displayed or used during use.

Well in that case I'd allow a tattoo fetish to be placed in hard to reach places since there isn't anything preventing them from hiding a physical fetish either.

Although as a side thought, what would prevent a mage from swallowing their fetishes ala Brian from KotDT? Or possibly impanting it into their body somewhere?

+Quote Post
Banaticus
post Jan 5 2007, 06:03 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

That's not a bad idea. If a fetish was small and the mage was going to get some sort of cyber/bioware anyway, a small storage compartment for the fetish would help fill up that block of essence that's going to be lost anyway...

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Jan 5 2007, 07:49 AM
Post #13

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Well actually I was thinking more along the lines of something similar to a Cranal Bomb that wouldn't cost any Essense, although hopefully you'd never need to accesss the Fetish again... *grins*

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon
post Jan 5 2007, 09:20 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,754

lol why don't you guys just give mages +2 to drain resist tests for every spell? Hell, throw in a few free powerfoci while you're at it. Afterall, mages are so underpowered as is :S

+Quote Post
Trigger
post Jan 5 2007, 09:29 AM
Post #15

Running Target

Well, yeah...didn't you get the memo?
In response to the increases efforst of the 'Geek the Mage Society', all mages can consider their spells limited for the purpose of drain resistance. This minority of the world population will not tolerate being targetted by sammies for one good reason. So rejoice in your ability to cast with less fear of drain brothers, bevause when the world gets news of this the sammies will come a shooting.

~The Grand Poobah

+Quote Post
Banaticus
post Jan 5 2007, 09:47 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

What's that from?

+Quote Post
Trigger
post Jan 5 2007, 09:50 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Actaully....nothing, I made the quote up..... :dead: :sleepy: :dead:

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Jan 5 2007, 03:37 PM
Post #18

Cybernetic Blood Mage

QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
lol why don't you guys just give mages +2 to drain resist tests for every spell? Hell, throw in a few free powerfoci while you're at it. Afterall, mages are so underpowered as is 

What can I say, it is the logical side effect of Fetishes only needing to be in contact with the Mage's body in order to be used. Personally it's also why I prefer the rules on Geas Talisman requiring them to either be in the open or used when they are used. *grins*

Seriously though I very much doubt that c*** ring fetishes, butt cheek tattoo fetishes, or impanted fetishes are within the spirit of the game, the reason why I think the designers put in the 'contact with the mage's body' rule is to allow rings, small runes kept in a bag, ect to be used in such a way that wouldn't scream 'Hey, geek me first!' as well as providing some security to the player that every Joe Porker wouldn't be able to tell exactly what his fetishes were just by watching the security footage of him/her casting spells.

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Jan 5 2007, 04:11 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,687

QUOTE (Ravor)
Seriously though I very much doubt that c*** ring fetishes, butt cheek tattoo fetishes, or impanted fetishes are within the spirit of the game,

Why wouldn't they be? This is Shadowrun, not lily white sanitized for mommy D&D. Y'know - gritty and "realistic"? That said, we've always allowed tattoo/piercing/implant fetishes and it's never been an issue.

Tattoo/piercing/implant foci on the other hand is something my groups have been debating for years.

+Quote Post
2bit
post Jan 5 2007, 04:38 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,526

haven't there been canon or SR novel examples of implanted foci already? I don't know where this came from, but I seem to remember an example given of someone who had a focus implanted as part of a hip replacement surgery or . . something. . .

When it comes to implants and essence, try to keep in mind the range of things that can fall under "cosmetic modification". Implanting fetish jewels or something into or below your skin could plausibly fit that definition. I mean, you can get scaly skin or replace your hair with color changing fiber optics for no essence, for pete's sake. The only thing stopping you from going down this road every time you make a spellcaster is your own desire to not be such a stupid munchkin.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jan 5 2007, 07:47 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

QUOTE (Trigger)
Actaully....nothing, I made the quote up..... :dead: :sleepy: :dead:

No, you were channeling a line from The American President (or possibly an earlier film, but let's face it: Michael J. Fox does it best).

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Jan 6 2007, 02:36 AM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

AH is right, it's from The American President, in a scene where they're at the White House Chrismas Party.

(I'm paraphrasing the below quotes)

Sheen: "Fellas, relax, it's Christmas. Can't we not talk shop for one night?"
Fox (mox surprise): "It's Christmas?"
Assistant: "Yeah. Didn't you get the memo?"

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Jan 6 2007, 02:42 AM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

QUOTE (2bit)
haven't there been canon or SR novel examples of implanted foci already? I don't know where this came from, but I seem to remember an example given of someone who had a focus implanted as part of a hip replacement surgery or . . something. . .

Harliquin had Ehran's Daughter as a Apprentice and Ehran somehow had a magical gizmo implanted in her, but I forget what it was. IT'll be in H or H's Back. Hell, I'm at home, I'll go find out...

+Quote Post
Trigger
post Jan 6 2007, 02:42 AM
Post #24

Running Target

Oh....I didn't realize that....I feel like I have been possessed now.....damn possession totems...

I was saying that I made up the quote from the Grand Poobah,

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Jan 6 2007, 02:44 AM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

And I think the where did that come from was pertaining to the text in the quote, not the MEmo bit which I like to think of Morgan Freeman in BMan Returns. But really, that's such a generic phrase noone can really calaim to have coined it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:55 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.