Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ancestral Free Spirit
DV8
post Jan 12 2007, 08:21 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 116

Off the top of your head, do you know if there's a Shadowrun precedent that describes what could best be qualified as an Ancestral Free Spirit?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 12 2007, 08:29 AM
Post #2

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

You mean an actual 'character' example?

Do we know Buttercup's specifics?

+Quote Post
Kesslan
post Jan 12 2007, 08:32 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,116

Not exactly.

But there is simply a precedent for free spirits of all types. To me an 'Ancestral' free spirit, would simply be a free spirit that either portrays itself as, or perhaps more importantly 'believes' itself to be some one's ancestor. In the case of a free spirit, I would assume it's likely to either stick to one specific 'persona' or, possibly fluctuate between various personas but stick to that sort of 'ancestral' theme.

It could, especialy if it were a deceptive type, shift to try and match the likeness/personality of any given persons 'ancestor'. Dead relatives etc. If it's for manipulation purposes it's likely to be some one who was once close to the target, or an ancestor held in awe but otherwise unknown by the target. IE Your great grandfather who was a war hero but died before you ever met him, and was your inspiration to join the military or some such.

+Quote Post
adamu
post Jan 12 2007, 01:19 PM
Post #4

Snakehandler

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,508

On this topic, has there been any canon indication about whether ancestor spirits (fluffed in SR4 as one form of Guidance Spirit) really ARE the ancestors, or, as you imply, just representations of dead people by confused and/or deceptive spirits?

My impression has always been that in some way they ARE the Ancestors' spirits, but then there is the ironclad No Resurrection postulate in the Core Magic Rules Structure, so would that be violated by the very existence of an ancestor spirit?

Or are we obligated to believe they are not REALLY from an afterlife because SR editorial (and game balance) policy is not to favor any one religion (which by extension would mean not acknowledging any religion to be true, which really messes with any concrete vision of an afterlife)?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 12 2007, 01:22 PM
Post #5

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

It's always been vague, and my impression (possibly due to preference) is that they are not in fact of any human origin whatsoever.

~J

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jan 12 2007, 02:15 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

I have always considered them more of a Jungian archetype that uses the summoner (or whomever they are interacting with) as a basis for their behavior and appearance.

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Jan 12 2007, 05:45 PM
Post #7

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

To my knowledge no. It does specifically state that they don't go free in MitS somewhere, I'm almost sure of it.

At that point they would be more like ghosts anyway, right?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 12 2007, 05:51 PM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

P113. They do not become free.

They also have no Great Form.

~J

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 12 2007, 05:54 PM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

QUOTE (adamu)
...but then there is the ironclad No Resurrection postulate in the Core Magic Rules Structure...

was this added in SR4? i've never been able to find anything like it in SR3.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 12 2007, 06:07 PM
Post #10

Manus Celer Dei

There's no mention of any sea being filled with flames/lava, so it can be inferred.

~J

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jan 12 2007, 07:55 PM
Post #11

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Dunkie's ressurection as an amnesiac Free Spirit possessing a cyberzombie?

+Quote Post
adamu
post Jan 13 2007, 12:38 AM
Post #12

Snakehandler

Member No.: 8,508

Okay, right, the Ironclad rule specifically applies to Sorcery, not necessarily all that is or can be conceived of in the SR universe. The clause in Street Magic also includes a maddeningly non-committal comment regarding this discussion -
From The Limits of Sorcery, pp 160-161

Sorcery Cannot Raise the Dead
Though spells can heal, once a person has passed away, they are gone forever (though some view conjuring spirits as raising the spirits of the dead).

So IF "some" are correct, then the no resurrect rule would not apply to Conjuring? Of course, without adding a physical body (which seems like the realm of Sorcery) it is not true resurrection, but then Guidance Spirits (SR4 Ancestral Spirits) have the same Materialization power as all the other sorts of spirits....

Sometimes I feel like the whole Ancestral Spirits thing was a nod to a bunch of real-world belief systems made without much thought for the rules vortex it would open up.
Or maybe I'm just being too uptight - each campaign can always interpret them however they please, and the rules are leaving things open for that.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Jan 13 2007, 12:57 AM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Next up: can conjuring be used for teleportation?

Hmmm... that actually sounds like a fun goal to research for. Maybe make it part of a run.

Strange ritual to learn one's own true name, telephone that to a high initiate conjurer somewhere else, prepare vomit bag. Sounds like a valid process.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jan 13 2007, 01:04 AM
Post #14

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

The only problem there is that inhabitating spirits can't use a metaplanar shortcut when summoned with their True Name. When you call the True Name of a Grande Zombie three times it will be compelled to come to you but it'll have to take the bus to get there.

+Quote Post
Roadspike
post Jan 15 2007, 01:34 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 389

QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Next up: can conjuring be used for teleportation?

Depending on your interpretation of teleportation, sure. Astral Gateway, moving through the Astral, then another Astral Gateway is pretty close to teleportation (even if not instantaneous).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 02:41 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.