Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What should gangers have?
sunnyside
post Jan 20 2007, 12:57 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,502

It has occurred to me that even in the FASA days exactly what kind of gear gangs should be toting and in what quantities has been something they haven't laid a baseline for. Even in sourcebooks supposedly dedicated to the underworld. Sure they'll give stats for a single typical ganger, but they don't give indications of the complete package especially in regards to things like heavy and special weapons.

And the stats do give are somewhat questionable. (You'll pay for hand razors but not an armored jacket, heavy pistol, or melee weapon? No wonder the halloweeners as written in SR4 got wiped out.)

Typically I've just balanced things along the lines of how much cash flow the gang probably has compared to the availability of weapons and the like, and then just winged it with only a handful of extra heavy weapons if any.

Still I'm feeling bugged by it. On one hand real world gangs may have lots of money, but in developed nations they tend to not have anything heavier than an assault rifle, and even in third world countries they seem to only be able to come up with some LMGs and a smattering of RPGs.

However gangs are known to be able to make LOTS of money in the drug trade etc, and I think we all know what the PCs would do if you had them play gang leaders with a six figure budget.

Typically my games haven't centered around gangs to much so it wasn't enough of a factor for me to worry about. But now I'm running a game out of the Redmond Barrens so gang contact is a bigger factor.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post Jan 20 2007, 01:34 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,630

When it comes to your typical street gangs cheep.
The hand razors are likly second hand used cyberware.
The gangs may make alot of money off drugs and BLT chips but they also blow most of the profit on there own drugs and BLT chips.

The gangs actually making a profit in the SR world graduate to criminal syndicates.

The gangs also need the contacts to get a hold of this stuff. Many fixers might not want to deal with street trash as there is a high probability of getting screwed if not by them then by a rivial.

Also the gang colors would get them stopped by police alot more. And being sinless Lone Star can simple take their armor and weapons on a whim. So they stick to streetlines and the like that will escape mad scanners.

Finally the go-gangers like the Halloweeners are meant to be stupid. They aren't ment to be very threatening. Some enemies have to be the easy guys so make it the street punks. All the successful street gangs joined criminal syndicates.

This doens't mean a gang might not have heavier weapons and armor hidden away. They just don't want there members causing a ruckess and lossing that stuff.

+Quote Post
Sir_Psycho
post Jan 20 2007, 02:54 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,361

light pistols, decent melee skills and edged/clubs. A gang leader might carry a shotgun, heavy pistol or smg. Gang members go to war with clubs (wood, lead pipes, baseball bats, wrenches, crowbars), knives/shivs (kitchen knives, sharpened screwdrivers, sharpened junk, broken bottles, syringes ( :S ) etc.) and even larger weapons like swords, and occasionally gangs have the odd lowly trained spellcaster who can cast low force heal and fireball/powerbolt, as well as being tough in a punch up.

Generally, a gang will have some nicer stolen vehicles, probably average cars like standard ford Americars (if those exist in SR4) and maybe even some roadmasters, westwinds (''), all not so expensive, and souped up, painted, and covered with makeshift armor and gun placements.

Ware is usually simple things like the occasional cyberlimb, lots of spurs/razors, crazy coloured cybereyes and maybe even boosted reflexes or plastic bone lacing.

+Quote Post
ornot
post Jan 20 2007, 03:41 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 8,638

There are several grades of gang described in Runner Havens.

I think Sir Psycho's description is good for a street gang, but I'd be inclined to make those larger gangs (which may be associated with a syndicate) rather better equiped. I'd still consider extensive 'ware to be unusual as it costs a lot, and how do you decide which ganger gets it? But then I tend to run a low 'ware gameworld.

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Jan 20 2007, 05:03 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

Remember too that gangs focus more on appearance than utility in a lot of cases.

A big nail studded rusty bat is more valuable than a more dangerous, but not nearly as impressive, combat knife. A Super Warhawk, with it's heft and boom, is more useful than a Predator loaded with Stick n' Shock. Cyberweapons show your street cred. Etc.

Also, present day, a majority of gangers either think they're invincible, or don't care one way or the other. So in a choice between something that gets you street cred (hand razors) or something that keeps you alive longer (Armor jacket), most will pick the street cred.

+Quote Post
cetiah
post Jan 20 2007, 06:32 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,510

The SR3 Companion covered some of this, and I think the SR4 BBB grunts section covers the rest.

According to the SR3 Shadowrun Companion, gang-fights always break down into a numbers game, by convention. It doesn't matter whether this is the way it should work or not, but as far as gangers are concerned, it does.

"No matter hos tuough its members, a small gang will always lose to a larger gang in the long run, and so the gamemaster should aim for a roughly equal balance of forces." -SR3, Runners Companion

The SR4 grunts section outlines a weak Professional Rating 1 ganger and what he would have, and this seems consistant with the "numbers over expertise" viewpoint.

The Companion further goes on to outline these members. For example, the Halloweeners shows 5 lieutenants built as prime runners. Whether you want to build these as SR4 Prime Runners or SR4 Lieutenant Grunts is really a matter of taste, but to keep the whole idea that gangers are anything better than a joke, I'd stick with making these 5 individuals superior prime runners.

The SR4 Companion lists the Halloweeners as having 25-40 members. I would assume most, if not all, of these people are grunts or lieutenant grunts, using the SR4 grunt rules.

These forces make for a healthy little gang fight, no?

The economics of gangs, also from SR3 Companion, describes how gangs don't work on "get paid for the job" system but rather do "jobs" that they don't get paid for, such as turf ways with other gangs. They get a steady income from some kind of illegal activity they do regularly. So over time, a gang's numbers will grow or the grunts in that gang will get better stuff, but I prefer to think that most of this money is going to the 5 people on the top, and there's really nothing anybody can do about it, because they're a bunch of grunts.

In summation, I'd make 3-6 prime runners with fully dished out cyberwear and weapons and stuff. The works. Everything you can, but try to keep with the idea that everything's second-hand or cheap. Then figure they have 10 times that number in grunts.

I should point out that Fanpro has officially said that the SR3 Companion is *not* compatible with SR4 and that they will be releasing a "Runner's Companion" for SR4 that appears to cover some of the same issues. (At least, I know they both cover metahuman variants...)

+Quote Post
Thane36425
post Jan 20 2007, 07:30 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,416

Your typical ganger probably would be carrynig a melee weapon of some kind and a pistol. The gang will probably have something heavier, like shotguns, and a few automatic weapons for the bigger gangs. Then again, there is no reason a small gang couldn't have something like that in their arsenal too. The big guns would be kept at the gang's HQ and would only come out when really needed. It wouldn't do to have it lost when a ganger got caught strolling up the street with it.

The more developed gangs like the Tongs and such, well, they would have more of the heavy weapons, but still would only use them when really necessary.

Another way to look at this is to use the gang archetypes in SR4 or the previous generations. That's what I used to do in terms of getting loot off of them, with some variation of course.

+Quote Post
Dale
post Jan 20 2007, 07:43 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,088

Gang members in 2070 going to war with clubs? Clubs?!?
That is the most absurd thing I've heard on Dumpshock.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Jan 20 2007, 08:07 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

@cetia: The SR3 companion does indeed have gang info (I'd forgotten about it though). However it doesn't actually give any armament info. Other than Halloweners have a flamethrower.

Even in your otherwise well reasoned comments you avoid it. Or when you say "prime runner" do you mean "assault cannons and missile launchers"

@lorechaser that was a clever rationalization. I may use that logic with them a lot.

If anyone is interested I spent a little while going through dusty tomes and came across an adventure called Elven Fire that deals with Ancients gang(and the rise to power of Green Lucifer, who is lucky he's an elf because this adventure was SR1 and he'd be old now otherwise).

Anyway the ancients (who are Tir backed and large it must be granted) are all equipped with scorpion bikes, UZI III's and Shotguns if they want them. "lieutenant" level members having better SMGs with vents and the like. And the leaders would be superior prime runners save for being light on the cyberware. The text describes an all out war with another gang and they pulled out a goodly number of mages, at least a pair of LAWs, and a sniper rifle.

The opposing gang, the meat junkies, manage to field four heavily armored trucks (not armoured enough to handle a LAW though) and a smattering of bikes. Otherwise they're armed with Uzi III's, Mossburg CMDT shotguns, and AK-97's. No heavy weapons.

While the Meat Junky members were fairly unimpressive, even the Ancients near grunts were more skillfull than a Knight Errant team member.

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Jan 20 2007, 08:36 PM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 8,297

QUOTE (sunnyside)

While the Meat Junky members were fairly unimpressive, even the Ancients near grunts were more skillfull than a Knight Errant team member.

SR1 had a lot more Punk and 1980's angst than SR does now. After all the game started as cyberPUNK. :grinbig:

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Jan 20 2007, 09:01 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

I still do high tech and low life, but, yes, somewhere in my GMing I suppose I did lose some of the angst and punk. Ironically the system actually supports the punk more now as the prices on cyberware and hacker grade hardware have plumeted.

Which is something I'll can use. Once you toss in the old mods for 2nd rate cyberware, used cyberware, and increased essense you can probably drop the price on the stuff by a factor of five. That starts putting much of the ware into some gangs price ranges (and offers some fun flavor as it may malfunction).

+Quote Post
cetiah
post Jan 20 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (sunnyside @ Jan 20 2007, 03:07 PM)
@cetia: The SR3 companion does indeed have gang info (I'd forgotten about it though).  However it doesn't actually give any armament info.  Other than Halloweners have a flamethrower.

Even in your otherwise well reasoned comments you avoid it.  Or when you say "prime runner" do you mean "assault cannons and missile launchers"

Hmmm... sorry about that. Yeah, by "prime runners" I mean exactly what you would expect player character shadowrunners to be armed with.

That being said, I think the character generation restrictions in SR3 Companion were good, even by SR4 standards, and I'd recommend them for building the prime runners:

-No ganger can have a Knowledge, Technical, or Magical skill above rating 3.
-Gangers cannot have any gear with an Availability higher than 5.
-Contacts are generally restricted to Street contacts.

I would stretch the availability limit up to 10, so that they can at least get some of the cool goodies that their grunts have. Maybe the leader can go higher, like 12 or more, for large/scary gangs, but leaving the Halloweeners at 10 makes sense to me. This gives them some basic cyberwear (hand spurs, wired reflexes 1) and a decent selection of firearms and armor.

I would suggest, however, not applying the availability limits to vehicles or any vehicle equipment (i.e., vehicular weapons) since the book specifically suggests that gangers have an edge in this area, stealing cars and souping them up.

+Quote Post
Mistwalker
post Jan 20 2007, 11:03 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,304

What the gangers have could also depend on if they have a patron or not.

Curfrently, my group of players has sponsored a small street gang. Equiped them with UZIs and decent Commlinks. They plan on continuing with better armor, some cyber, etc... Gang has 10 members right now.

Like others, most gangers don't carry their "good" weapons with them at all times. Think of the Hell's Angels. They mostly will have small stuff, usually not even a firearm. But while "working", they will carry more, and if at war, a whole lot more.

Part of the threat of gangs, is their number. If you don't take them all out, the rest will be after you.
As well, they may have connections with organized crime, who may take a dim view of your messing with their entry level people.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jan 20 2007, 11:58 PM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (cetiah)
QUOTE (sunnyside @ Jan 20 2007, 03:07 PM)
@cetia: The SR3 companion does indeed have gang info (I'd forgotten about it though).  However it doesn't actually give any armament info.  Other than Halloweners have a flamethrower.

Even in your otherwise well reasoned comments you avoid it.  Or when you say "prime runner" do you mean "assault cannons and missile launchers"

Hmmm... sorry about that. Yeah, by "prime runners" I mean exactly what you would expect player character shadowrunners to be armed with.

That being said, I think the character generation restrictions in SR3 Companion were good, even by SR4 standards, and I'd recommend them for building the prime runners:

-No ganger can have a Knowledge, Technical, or Magical skill above rating 3.
-Gangers cannot have any gear with an Availability higher than 5.
-Contacts are generally restricted to Street contacts.

I would stretch the availability limit up to 10, so that they can at least get some of the cool goodies that their grunts have. Maybe the leader can go higher, like 12 or more, for large/scary gangs, but leaving the Halloweeners at 10 makes sense to me. This gives them some basic cyberwear (hand spurs, wired reflexes 1) and a decent selection of firearms and armor.

I would suggest, however, not applying the availability limits to vehicles or any vehicle equipment (i.e., vehicular weapons) since the book specifically suggests that gangers have an edge in this area, stealing cars and souping them up.

personally, i say 9 is a good rule of thumb for street level availability. 10 is what i have often seen, but imo that's just a hair high, whereas 8 is too low to allow important, basic stuff to go up to a decent rating (for example, a rating 3 fake SIN).

10, on the other hand, allows for stuff like the fubuki (not overpowering, but not street level) the walter MA-2100 (sniper rifle?) the armtech MGL-12 (semiauto grenade launcher) aztechnology striker (missile launcher) frag grenades (incidentally, i have to admit that if a gang was going to use grenades, those grenades probably would be frag... but they're cheap, and not too hard to pick up after chargen if you have the right connections) chameleon suit, thermal damping (both of those are more of a spy thing), taser shield, rating 5 autosofts and hacking programs, response 5,

on the other hand, it allows (in terms of stuff that 8 won't, but probably should imo) rating 3 agent/IC/Pilot (just enough to be slightly useful, and just before the price jump), the aforementioned fake IDs/licenses at rating 3, and cyberlimb enhancements up to rating 3. if it weren't for the C-D dalmation (and a few things that simply don't fit too well into a more street level campaign anyways, but which are available at lower ratings as well), it would be a perfect fit imo.

of course, the C-D dalmation is, as i mentioned, a little not-right for gangs. fine for street level runners, though.

+Quote Post
HappyDaze
post Jan 21 2007, 12:50 AM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,669

Like others, most gangers don't carry their "good" weapons with them at all times. Think of the Hell's Angels. They mostly will have small stuff, usually not even a firearm. But while "working", they will carry more, and if at war, a whole lot more.

This is really dependent upon a gang's territory. In a suburban B/C zone knives and even some pistols will be fine, but if the gang operates in a E zone you can bet pistols are the rule with many guys packing something heavier in the car. In a Z zone you might get guys packing SMGs, shotguns and rifles along with big melee weapons (axes, swords. etc.) as an everyday thing.

+Quote Post
Mistwalker
post Jan 21 2007, 01:45 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

True,
I had AAA-C zones in mind.

I would still think that pistols would be the normal weapon carried in the other zones.

+Quote Post
cetiah
post Jan 21 2007, 01:59 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (Mistwalker)

It's always assumed that gangs have some way of making money... whether it's looting other gangs, stealing cars, selling illegal drugs and btl chips, running protection rackets, performing low-level shadowruns, or performing "services" for a patron corp, government, gang, or wealthy individual.

The method by which a gang makes its money is irrelevant.

QUOTE (Jaid)

personally, i say 9 is a good rule of thumb for street level availability. 10 is what i have often seen, but imo that's just a hair high, whereas 8 is too low to allow important, basic stuff to go up to a decent rating (for example, a rating 3 fake SIN).

Okay. The only reason I set it as high as 10 was because I thought the cyber-razors were 10, and the Halloweener grunts have them listed as gear in the SR4 main book. But I'd be perfectly comfortable with "Availability 9, plus all gear listed in the main book".

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 21 2007, 02:05 AM
Post #18

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I wouldn't bother sticking to arbitrary generation rules when creating NPCs. I just go by what feels right for that particular individual ... or group. There's no reason why one of the Halloweeners can't have a Synaptic Accelerator, or that the Red Hot Nukes don't have access to high-rated explosives. Quite a few gangs make their money from running weapons, some like the Ancients do it on a large scale, and have access to quite a bit of mil-spec stuff.

As I said, I would just go with what feels right.

+Quote Post
cetiah
post Jan 21 2007, 02:14 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (Fortune @ Jan 20 2007, 09:05 PM)
I wouldn't bother sticking to arbitrary generation rules when creating NPCs. I just go by what feels right for that particular individual ... or group. There's no reason why one of the Halloweeners can't have a Synaptic Accelerator, or that the Red Hot Nukes don't have access to high-rated explosives. Quite a few gangs make their money from running weapons, some like the Ancients do it on a large scale, and have access to quite a bit of mil-spec stuff.

As I said, I would just go with what feels right.

There's nothing ever 'arbitrary' when it comes to rules the GM must abide by. GM rules and guidelines are always subjective and subject to altercation as necessary.

For some people, like myself, it's important to have a certain protocol when generating things. Deviations from that protocol can always be applied later, but having a pre-made protocol can save a GM a lot of time, work, or just brainpower. These resources can then be alloted to other things.

It's useful to say, for example, a given area will have X amount of gangers and those X amount of gangers will have Y gear. For story/roleplaying/challenge purposes, you can always change those variables later on a case by case basis, but there's no reason to potentially cripple/hinder yourself by not having them.

It's kind of the same logic that goes into whether or not to use character generation for NPCs or just make 'em up. You might as well assume that most NPCs use character generation or some other similiar system, because a GM can always "make 'em up" when appropriate.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 21 2007, 02:24 AM
Post #20

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I just don't see how I'm crippling myself by saying that all gangs ... and even all gangers are not the same. It seems to me that you are doing twice the work by creating a basic 'ganger template" and then adjusting it later.

Different styles I guess, but I've never really had to stress myself in order to create appropriate NPCs, even on the fly.

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Jan 21 2007, 03:10 AM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,629

Admitedly, I run a lowerpowered game, BUT, for my, Greg teh Ganger will have a knife or club, because each is easy to conceal and doesn't get them horribly hassled by the police, but, can intimidate civillians, and a leather jacket (Again, they mostly deal with melee weapons, thus, armored clothes = not so handy.)

The core gangers, a step above teh punks, get Streetline Specials (Thus proving that they're a "Soldier"), and armored clotehs to go with their leather jacket.

Lieutenants get a heavier weapon ... a heavy pistol, shotgun, even an AK-97 if fairly well off.

Bosses always pack a heavy pistol and something else to stand out. Tehy usually upgrade to an armroed vest as well.

Now, if the gang is connected, such as being a Syndicate heavy, or a major gang, then things go up a notch. *Everybody* gets armored clothes and a streetline special, for example. These are "Real" gangers that the lower level gangs like teh one I mentioned above want to be someday. This gang's LT's have armored vests and either a heavy pistol or an assault rifle standard.

The bosses get special gear, while the Big Boss is tricked out heavily. Everyone at this stage is packing boosts as well, be it Quickened spells (Triads), cyberware (Yakuza), or serious social contacts (Mobsters).

The generic Ganger, tho, is pretty much like today ... a high school/Jr High kid who's dirt poor, lives at home, and pushes drugs to try and get ahead. He looks forward to fighting, to try and get himself a rep, but sucks at it to be honest. It's all about strength in numbers and intimidation.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Jan 21 2007, 06:01 AM
Post #22

Shooting Target

As an aside gangs like the Nova Rich probably have, well, whatever they want.

+Quote Post
Mistwalker
post Jan 21 2007, 06:34 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (cetiah)
QUOTE (Mistwalker @ Jan 20 2007, 06:03 PM)

It's always assumed that gangs have some way of making money... whether it's looting other gangs, stealing cars, selling illegal drugs and btl chips, running protection rackets, performing low-level shadowruns, or performing "services" for a patron corp, government, gang, or wealthy individual.

The method by which a gang makes its money is irrelevant.

I wasn't talking about them having a way to make money. I was talking about a patron who gives them gear (weapons, cyber, etc..). This isn't them making money and deciding between buying the gear or buying booze and recreational partners.

They are getting an upgrade on their gear, nuyen free. They would be in a lot of trouble if they sold said gear without permission.

Your little local gang that runs a few drugs and BTLs, doesn't normally have a lot of firepower, nor the resources to get it.

+Quote Post
cetiah
post Jan 21 2007, 06:47 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

I wasn't talking about them having a way to make money. I was talking about a patron who gives them gear (weapons, cyber, etc..). This isn't them making money and deciding between buying the gear or buying booze and recreational partners.

They are getting an upgrade on their gear, nuyen free. They would be in a lot of trouble if they sold said gear without permission.

Whether they get gear in exchange for service or they conduct services to earn money that buys gear... they really amount to the same thing. It's just a rationalization. You can also argue that "really lucky gangs" can have even better gear because they spend all their time being lucky instead of working for patrons.

Your little local gang that runs a few drugs and BTLs, doesn't normally have a lot of firepower, nor the resources to get it.

This is a highly subjective opinion. Which can be seen in my response. Here it is:

Your local gang conducts lucrative underworld activities, such as runnings drugs and BTLs, that gives them money and resources to buy lots of firepower.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jan 21 2007, 06:56 AM
Post #25

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Gangs don't buy their stuff, they steal it. All it takes for The Spikes to to get anti-tank weapons is one poorly-planned arms shipment to Tir Tairngire.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 03:10 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.