Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ally spirits and literacy
Silent
post Oct 30 2003, 09:15 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,774

I know that normally a character is able to speak and write his native language...
But can ally spirits automatically read/ write in languages they have the skill for or do they need to learn reading for at least one language ( mimicing the fact that PC/NPC s have at least some kind of education)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Nov 3 2003, 08:51 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,689

I'd venture that ally spirits have 1/2 base skill level read/write literacy in languages for which their conjurer paid karma. If the GM uses a native language house rule, then ally spirits should have the same native language at the same level as their conjurer.

+Quote Post
Jpwoo
post Nov 3 2003, 09:18 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,613

spirits speak whatever you want them to speak.

+Quote Post
Guest_Artemis_*
post Nov 3 2003, 09:35 PM
Post #4

Guests

It makes sense to me that an ally would need to know how to communicate with its master, and since a piece of the master's essence is given to the ally at its creation it would make perfect sense that a single predominant language skill would be given to the spirit. As mentioned before, a summoner could teach the spirit other languages and skills as well, provided that they are skills equal to or less than that known by the summoner already.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Nov 3 2003, 11:24 PM
Post #5

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

I would personally give allies all the languages it's master knows at the same leves as the time it was created.

Reading on the other hand I do not believe it is possible for it to do. The ally is permanently astrally percieving, and in astral space text simply cannot be seen, instead the emotion context is seen. I would say the ally cannot therefore actually read anything.

+Quote Post
Guest_Artemis_*
post Nov 4 2003, 08:53 AM
Post #6

Guests

I'd say that's open to interpretation. When it materializes it in effect becomes a dual being. And Even dual beings like Shapeshifters and Vampires can learn or already know how to read texts and trid displays. They get the benefit of seeing two realities at once. If dual beings can get away with that, I would assume that a materialized ally could as well.

But that's me.

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Nov 12 2003, 09:44 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,689

It makes sense to me that an ally would need to know how to communicate with its master
- Artemis

It has that as a freebie: the telepathic link.

However, I had forgotten about the language multiplier based on IN. The ally's mental attributes are IIRC equal to its conjurer's. With or without the native language house rule, why not just use that multiplier to determine others (none to be higher than the conjurer's)?

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Nov 12 2003, 09:47 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 5,818

QUOTE (Artemis)
And Even dual beings like Shapeshifters and Vampires can learn or already know how to read texts and trid displays. They get the benefit of seeing two realities at once.

They can read because they have an actual presence on the material plane, whereas Allies do not. Some can materialize, sure, but that's temporary.

Maybe allies with a host body (golem or animal), but I don't think most should.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Nov 12 2003, 11:52 PM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

If it can take a bullet it can see the letters.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Nov 13 2003, 02:02 AM
Post #10

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

That's like "If I can smell I can play basketball" what on earth does one have to do with the other?

+Quote Post
danbot37
post Nov 13 2003, 02:31 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,137

if a completely physical bullet, nothing astral at all, can hurt it, then why couldn't it interact with the 'physicalness' of the text?

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Nov 13 2003, 02:43 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 5,818

If it's materialized, yes. But the physical plane is not its home and it doesn't visit often. It's like you learning to read chinese for the two days you are in Taiwan, where most people speak and write English.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Nov 13 2003, 07:09 AM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

QUOTE (BitBasher)
That's like "If I can smell I can play basketball"

Wonderful attempt at a counter-argument. I should have realized that I need to explain everything in the simplest of terms.

If processed lead can affect the spirit, then it must have a physical component. If it has a physical component, then it should have some form of physical sense to be able to aim LOS on the physical plane. If it has a physical sense capable of such determinations, it should be able to sense colors and variations of colors so as to fully understand commands that it may be given ("break the red box" "what is this 'red' that you speak of?"). Thus to be able to interact with the physical, a manifested spirit should be able to see the letters just fine. Whether a spirit will see the need to learn the significance of each letter when it can just look at the emotional intent of the complete document is a different matter.

+Quote Post
CoalHeart
post Nov 13 2003, 07:11 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,757

Does seeing the intent of a message or letter only apply if it were written by hand?

Would a letter written by hand and then sent via fax be readable astrally on the other end?

Can you look at a letter written on a datapad and get it's intent from that?

Can you get it from a computer printed letter?

Can you read a novel about some subject that was very emotional and sence the story?

What if the hand written letter was about something with no emotional content at all. Just a bunch of numbers, or a shopping list?

What if I'm just a jackass and should have my internet connection cut to prevent me from asking questions?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:29 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.