Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CSI: Shadowrun
JongWK
post Jan 22 2007, 08:45 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,992

Over at theRPGsite, there's a Shadowrun thread that some people here might be interested in.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Jan 22 2007, 08:53 PM
Post #2

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

Cool. I use some of the stuff he/she has provided so far in my games.

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Jan 22 2007, 09:56 PM
Post #3

Man In The Machine

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,105

I love AH's comment. Its so.... true?

+Quote Post
Thane36425
post Jan 22 2007, 11:31 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,416

Interesting posts.

His solution to magic use is much like mine: only use it when necessary on a run. The Cleansing and the new variable trace (can't think of the name) metamagics can help with that.

He's right on about the PANs leaving traces everywhere. Limit the gear and go wired as much as possible. For communications, there are probably disposable commlinks just like there are disposable cellphones these days. Aside from that, old fashioned radios should be small and cheap and should work just fine, provided there aren't too many walls and such between the team members.

Ammo is still a problem. If all of it is marked by the manufacturer, then going to private makers wouldn't solve the problem either. As that fellow pointed out, the Corps will probably know or be able to track down the maker anyway. Making your own might help on a single run because it would be unique. However, the second time you used it, to include at another location on a single run, they would be able to link the actions to you very easily due to that uniqueness. Swapping out barrels and firing pins after a heavy run would probably help and would not require buying a completely new gun.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Jan 22 2007, 11:40 PM
Post #5

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

Good thread. Good analysis (IMO at least) of how forensics go in SR. I agree that the fundemental tenet of Shadowrun, what makes is a playable game, is that there is no real forensics being done. If there is no added incentive for a corp to get you (i.e., they want to retrieve a physial sample you stole), there is no reason why anyone would attempt to hunt you down. Justice for justice's sake is not profitable.

Edit:
Also, me and my gaming group, mostly after watching a few CSI episodes (unrealisticness of it all notwithstanding), ame to the conclusions that there are so many forensics tricks and ways to identifiy you, that no matter how careful you are, a sufficiently determined investigator WILL track you down. Thankfully, in SR, the cost threshold at which point it becomes too expensive to track you down arrives very quickly.

+Quote Post
Sticks
post Jan 23 2007, 12:42 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 4,923

Think i hear the corps knocking on my runners back door :(

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jan 23 2007, 03:00 AM
Post #7

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

I prefer to think that the role (and indeed, the name) of CSI has changed over the intervening 63 years (or 53 years) between now and 2070 (or 2060).

Specifically, it no longer means Crime Scene Investigation. Now it means Crime Scene Instigation.

At least informally. CSI dosen't have to actually investigate the crimes and use forensics evidence. They just have to "find" forensics evidence that backs up whatever the parent corp wants to say.

Ex:
Investigator: "Boss, these guys capped forty people, women and children, when they hit that orpahnage. We need to make a kill, fast, of people will panic."
Boss: "Right! CSI, remember those 'runners that we caught last month that did a run for us after we put those kink bombs in their heads?"
CSI: "You want them to have done this, right?"
Boss: "Right! Think you can handle it?"
CSI: "No problem. We got samples and everything, won't take but a day to put together an open-and-shut case."
Boss: "Good. HTR?"
HTR: "Yes, boss?"
Boss: "Geek 'em. No survivors. Anyone who surrenders was "shot while resisting arrest". Get it done in under a day."
HTR: "We ride!"
Boss: *sits back smugly.*

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Jan 23 2007, 03:18 AM
Post #8

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

This article in a nutshell is a direct quote from "Heat":

Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.

Then there are the private citizens. STUPID Shadowrunners often commit senseless acts of violence in the course of the average run.

fixed. tasers and electroshock rounds are dirt cheap. then put a few sedative patches on them and they're out for hours.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Jan 23 2007, 03:35 AM
Post #9

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (Lindt @ Jan 22 2007, 03:56 PM)
I love AH's comment.  Its so.... true?

Good lord. I agree with AH.

What is the world coming to?

QUOTE (Fix-it)
This article in a nutshell is a direct quote from "Heat":

Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.

Uh... No. It isn't even close.

+Quote Post
Hound
post Jan 23 2007, 04:13 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,778

So I don't actually know anything about the process of manufacturing ammunition, but would it be all that crazy to say that a 'runner with a Shop of some sort (probably an Armorer's Shop, I guess) could make their own ammo? Raw materials would likely be more difficult to trace than manufactured ammunition, if not nearly impossible. Although that would make his/her ammo completely unique I suppose... Hmmm... perhaps you could either make ammo that is as close to an exact copy (or a perfect copy if you could steal the proper data) of a more common type of ammo, but has no markings. Or maybe you could change the way the ammo is made slightly every time, though that would likely be more expensive and the ammo would still share the fact that it doesn't have numbers on it. Anyways, like I said, I don't really know anything about the process of making ammo, so feel free to shoot holes in it if you wish.

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Jan 23 2007, 04:30 AM
Post #11

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

y'know. a lot of factories overseas often run unofficial third shifts to make goods they can sell on the black market. why would ammunition be any different?

or just buy it from a country that doesn't have such laws. I assure you most don't.

lead slugs aren't hard to cast, but I doubt ex ex or sticky shock would be whithin the range of a home setup...

APDS might not be too hard...

+Quote Post
Sir_Psycho
post Jan 23 2007, 08:39 AM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,361

Happydaze eat your heart out. :wobble:

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jan 23 2007, 12:30 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

QUOTE (SL James)

If you could peek inside my head, you might know.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Jan 23 2007, 04:04 PM
Post #14

ghostrider

QUOTE (Hound)
So I don't actually know anything about the process of manufacturing ammunition, but would it be all that crazy to say that a 'runner with a Shop of some sort (probably an Armorer's Shop, I guess) could make their own ammo?

People do make their own ammunition. I don't know how common it is, but people do it.

That said, using custom ammo you'd just have a new problem. Instead of your ammo being traceable by lot number etc, it would just have its own file at LS and KE. :)

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jan 23 2007, 05:51 PM
Post #15

Horror

QUOTE (Ancient History)
QUOTE (SL James @ Jan 23 2007, 03:35 AM)

See? I told you he was an IE!

+Quote Post
Thane36425
post Jan 23 2007, 05:59 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,416

QUOTE (eidolon)
QUOTE (Hound @ Jan 22 2007, 10:13 PM)
So I don't actually know anything about the process of manufacturing ammunition, but would it be all that crazy to say that a 'runner with a Shop of some sort (probably an Armorer's Shop, I guess) could make their own ammo?

People do make their own ammunition. I don't know how common it is, but people do it.

That said, using custom ammo you'd just have a new problem. Instead of your ammo being traceable by lot number etc, it would just have its own file at LS and KE. :)

Most people don't make their ammo from scratch, but buy components and assemble them. They buy casings, powder and bullets and put them together to make just the kind of load they want. They could hot load a pistol round for more hitting power or they could light load a heavier bullet to make silencers more effective. Or they can make a batch of match grade rounds so their performance it almost perfectly identical.

Actually making rounds from scratch would probably be quite expensive and sime consuming. You'd need a machine to make the casings, and that machine would have to be resettable to make all different calibers and lengths. They you'd have to have another one to make bullets. With the jacketing and hollow points and such, that wouldn't be too easy either. Then, of course, there is the powder. That would have to be milled just so and would require buying the component chemicals which would leave a trace and some of those might actually be tagged, depending on how paranoid the government is in the future. So, you'd be looking at an expensive set up to crank out a few bullets at a time.

A friend of mine used to reload shotgun shells. He did that mainly to save money over the cost of store bought rounds. Most of the time he could recycle shells but they do wear out. That left regularly buying powder, cups, primers and shot. Eventually, the price came down so much on factory shells that it was cheaper to buy new than reload.

Now all that said, I know that there are a few small companies out there that will make bullets to your specifications. I suppose one could ask them the cost of the set up, operating and time costs, though if they would actually tell you that is another matter.

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Jan 23 2007, 06:44 PM
Post #17

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 23 2007, 08:30 AM)

Oh dear goddess no. I value what tenuous grasp I have left on my sanity.

Now its interesting you say that, as a old friend of my family still loads his own 30 aut 6 because its cheaper to buy the parts in bulk and do it himself.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Jan 23 2007, 07:09 PM
Post #18

ghostrider

QUOTE (Thane36425)
<snip>

I'm not disagreeing with you per se, but it wouldn't be all that difficult to manufacture your own bullets. I agree that most people likely buy components, and even people that make their own bullets likely buy powder and casings pre-made, and that even they have to buy their metal stock somewhere, but people have been pouring their own bullets since the ball and cap days (and prior, now that I think about it; amend that to say "since the invention of firearms"). I don't see why it would disappear, especially in the context of someone wanting custom ammunition.

For example, "bullet mold" in Google, first result. Clicking "blank bullet mold" and then "use" leads to a description making sure that you realize that the bullet mold being sold hasn't been machined (in other words, there's no bullet shape cut into it yet). So it's definitely out there.

As far as expense, etc., my father has a complete metal shop in one corner of his larger wood shop. Lathe, milling machine, presses, saws, etc. Expense is in the eye of the person that needs something done and wants to do it himself. ;)

+Quote Post
Hound
post Jan 23 2007, 07:55 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,778

Well the main problem with identifying ammo seemed to be the numbers on it, and those are on the bullets themselves, right? Not the casing. So it seems to me that you would only really need to manufacture the bullet part and you could get the rest somewhere else, probably alternate what types/how much you use, every bit of misdirection helps. And like I said, if you could steal the right data I bet you could find out how a big corp manufactures theirs, might lead to an easier/more efficient process and you could attempt to copy them.

Or I guess you could just buy it off the black market/foreign market like Fix-it said. Though that's considerably less interesting to discuss.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Jan 24 2007, 02:01 AM
Post #20

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 23 2007, 06:30 AM)

I'd rather rip off my scrotum with my fingernails.

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)

Collecting hundreds of other peoples' work into a couple of pages doesn't make him a goddamn IE.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jan 24 2007, 02:02 AM
Post #21

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 23 2007, 06:30 AM)

I'd rather rip off my scrotum with my fingernails.

I love it when you sweet-talk.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jan 24 2007, 04:48 AM
Post #22

Horror

QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)

Collecting hundreds of other peoples' work into a couple of pages doesn't make him a goddamn IE.

Denial is such an ugly thing.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true!

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 24 2007, 05:02 AM
Post #23

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

There is a realization that I believe is inevitable in the maturation process of the Dumpshocker: the realization that Ancient History is not God.

Dedicated, detail-oriented (in some respects), and willing to put forth a great deal of effort, certainly, but as much as I indulged in it in my youth, and as much as I do believe he deserves a great deal of credit, he nevertheless gets more than is reasonable (though I don't see that as his fault).

~J

+Quote Post
cetiah
post Jan 24 2007, 05:31 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,510

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jan 24 2007, 12:02 AM)
There is a realization that I believe is inevitable in the maturation process of the Dumpshocker: the realization that Ancient History is not God.

Blasphemer, Heretic, Defiler of the Sacred Ones.
Thou art Deprived of Your Limbs.
Thy Nose Shall be Split.
Thou art Cast Down and Overthrown.

Blows are Rained upon Thee.
Dismemberment and Slaughter are on Thee.
Thy Crocodile is Trampled under Foot.
Thy Soul is Wrenched from its Shade.
Thy Name is Erased.
Thy Spells are Impotent.
Nevermore Shalt Thou Emerge from Thy Den.
Thy Name is Buried in Oblivion.
Be Drowned, Be Drowned, Be Vomited Upon.

The Gods have Pronounced Thy Doom.
The Ancient Ones Turn Their Backs upon Thee.
Thou Art Cast Down, Overthrown.
Thy Reign of Heresy is Ended.
Those Thou Hast Driven Out Have Risen Against Thee.

Cast down the Heretic.
Cast down the Heretic.
Cast down the Heretic.

+Quote Post
Sir_Psycho
post Jan 24 2007, 08:21 AM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,361

I didn't know he got any recognition. I just thought he was a guy with too much time on his hands, who provided somewhere for us to spend the time... which we have too much of... on our hands.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:23 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.