IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pregnant characters in the sixth world?
Raventhewingedwa...
post Jan 23 2007, 05:10 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,214

Has anyone here ever had a pregnant character on their team. If so please help our drone rigger is pregnant and we don't know what to do.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cristomeyers
post Jan 23 2007, 05:14 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,642

Um..wow..that's a bit of a predicament isn't it?

I would almost go as far as to retire the character. I mean, a kid seems like it would be a career ender.

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Jan 23 2007, 05:16 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

Get pickles and peanutbutter :P.

+Quote Post
Xenith
post Jan 23 2007, 05:16 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,361

Nope. However, that seems hilariously funny for some reason. If the player prego, was it a character concept, or did your GM inflict this rather uncomfortable (if bloody funny) situation on you?

If you want to keep playing with this, I don't see much of a problem. Its dangerous, but so is 'Running when the kid is already out. Theres no end to the gut busting gags made in poor taste (and even good taste) that this situation would entail.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Jan 23 2007, 05:17 PM
Post #5

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

retirement is always plausible...

Are you looking for game statistics for morning sickness and all that type of thing or something else?

In my game, I'd say that anytime the rigger takes a M wound (more than 4 boxes of damage) that she would have to roll Edge to avoid miscarriage. Pregnant women shouldn't be shot at...

By the 7th to 8th month, she will start having problems with acrobatics and the like and probably need to take an LOA from running by week 30. The first few weeks after giving birth, beyond the need to bond with the child, she will be exhaustable and easily winded.

I'd also recommend finding a babysitter you can trust.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Jan 23 2007, 05:19 PM
Post #6

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

I've heard of plenty of PCs that had children, but actually being pregnant is a new one. If she goes on missions, chances of miscarriage become rather high. Not to mention that towards the end, she won't be physically able to run away much. But being a rigger, she can just sit in the van anyway.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Jan 23 2007, 05:19 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,502

Um. Are you wondering what to do from an RP point of view or a "what can a medicine do now" point of view?

If you're looking for some inspiration you can look to Cyberpunk 2020 (or one of it's supplements). I remember a hilarious picture of a pierced/cybered 20 something woman taking her baby out of a metal device called something like "wombulator 5000" with a semi disgusted look on her face.

Of course cyberpunk is a bit more about dysfunctional families than Shadowrun neccesarily is.

However the point is introducing something like that where your rigger could temporarily have her womb removed and put on automated life support for nine months would allow her to keep running if she'd like and you'd still wind up with the baby. It's also well within the tech level of shadowrun.

+Quote Post
Raventhewingedwa...
post Jan 23 2007, 05:22 PM
Post #8

Target

It was inflicted on her by the GM as she acted really stupid and innoyed him. It' an awful lot of fun winding her up about it. What happens if an elf gets pregnant with a dragons bady

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Jan 23 2007, 05:24 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Raventhewingedwarrior @ Jan 23 2007, 12:22 PM)
What happens if an elf gets pregnant with a dragons bady

The mystery of how Drakes are made is revealed! :D

On a more serious note I assume by your pronoun use that the female rigger is run by a female player. Do try to not drive her out of the hobby chummer.

+Quote Post
Raventhewingedwa...
post Jan 23 2007, 05:27 PM
Post #10

Target

Yeah thats kind of the situation. We have an NPC bad ass dragon who got her preganant. Also what would happen if two half-elves-half-dragon had a baby. Silly questions but this just seems to be arrising within our runs

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Jan 23 2007, 05:27 PM
Post #11

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

As they are different species, science would say that such a thing is impossible.

Given the magic inherent in the system, my guesses would be IE or Drake.

+Quote Post
Raventhewingedwa...
post Jan 23 2007, 05:28 PM
Post #12

Target

On a more serious note I assume by your pronoun use that the female rigger is run by a female player. Do try to not drive her out of the hobby chummer

She wont leave she just laughs at the situation herself but is just getting frustrated with the morning sickness

+Quote Post
Raventhewingedwa...
post Jan 23 2007, 05:39 PM
Post #13

Target

How many people have females on their team. We have a team of 9 and have 3 girls. Just interested to see how many girls play

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Jan 23 2007, 05:42 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Actually it's cannon that you don't get "half" anythings. For example if an elf and a troll have a baby you'll either get a troll or an elf (or maybe a human that could later turn into one or the other).

Not sure where I would go with a dragon doing it. You could get something weird like a Drake which does seem to be a dragon metahuman hybrid. Or maybe you could just consider whatever form the dragon was in at the time of conception.

*Edit so far I seem to get a little under 20% girls.

+Quote Post
Xenith
post Jan 23 2007, 05:50 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,361

If the dragon was in (meta)human form at the time, its likely going to be a (relatively) normal metahuman. How drakes were made seems vastly different if you read the data on it, so not likely a drake... but not impossible.

If it was just in vitro, then ANYTHING could pop outta there.

Personally, I'd handle it like a normal kid. Then have the dragon make off with it for any one of a hundred reasons. Boom. New plotline.

Edit: I have had about one or two women, but it varies. Most of the time, they join in because a boyfriend is playing. A situation I disdain but not entirely discourage.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jan 23 2007, 06:03 PM
Post #16

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (Raventhewingedwarrior)

People will hate you.
Because you created yet another immortal elf.

+Quote Post
Raventhewingedwa...
post Jan 23 2007, 06:05 PM
Post #17

Target

Thats a good idea about having the Dragon run off with the baby. I shall have to tell my GM. My boyfriend is the GM but the other two girls joined off their own backs.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jan 23 2007, 06:16 PM
Post #18

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (Raventhewingedwarrior @ Jan 23 2007, 07:22 PM)

People will hate you.
Because you created yet another immortal elf.

We can never have too many of those. Plus, some of them are going to have to inevitably survive the 6th's world's collapse and the ensuing 7th world until the 8th.

And you don't want ALL of the old crop to be leftovers from the 4th world, do you? That would just suck. We need someone from the 6th to carry over to the 8th.

Of course, I suspect this can be done anyway, thanks to Leonization treatments.

+Quote Post
HappyDaze
post Jan 23 2007, 06:26 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,669

You can follow the usual rules for diseases and toxins to replicate the long-term/continuous and short-term/intermittant symptoms of sperm poisoning.

Considering that she's a shadowrunner and active, she may wqant to consider aborting the child. If she can find a wealthy ghoul, she may be able to sell the resulting delicacy for some heavy :nuyen: .

As a rigger, she can probably just continue to operate just fine through wireless all the way through the pregnancy.

BTW, I find the whole dragon-breeding/immortal elf thing to be crap and would never introduce it to any shadowrun game I ran. As a player, I'd also drop out of any game in which it was directly a part of the storyline.

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Jan 23 2007, 06:32 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 6,543

If she isa shadowrun of just about anything other than heavy duty street sam she could work around it or in some cases use it.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Jan 23 2007, 06:45 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Actually dragons are sneaky enough anything could have really happened down there. I'm sure they could have managed some kind of insemination spell with somebody elses sperm on the fly.

That would conveniently avoid the crossbreeding issues, and adds another plot element to the whole thing. And gives you some room to go nuts but stay in cannon.

For example back in earthdawn times both T'skrang and windlings were on the decline, but were biocompatable with humans I do believe (The T'skrang certainly tried!).

A dragon intent on saving a bloodline could have used a combination of magic and having a minion drop some sperm deep into a polar ice cap to keep them around.

I'm sure you can come up with dozens of other reasons and plotlines.

+Quote Post
Unarmed
post Jan 23 2007, 06:56 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,517

QUOTE (sunnyside)
*Edit so far I seem to get a little under 20% girls.

Sounds about right. Our regular group has one girl and then 4 guys.

+Quote Post
Ben
post Jan 23 2007, 07:11 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 9,730

*cough* abortion *cough*

solves the problem. get a screwdriver or something to uncork bottles…

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 23 2007, 07:27 PM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

QUOTE (Raventhewingedwarrior)
Has anyone here ever had a pregnant character on their team. If so please help our drone rigger is pregnant and we don't know what to do.

well, you'll probably need to get the snake eyes cyberware custom-made, since the standard ware probably wouldn't physically fit inside an infant's skull. mechanically, i'd just say it has to be alphaware and call it a day. for mobility, you'll probably want some sort of carrier drone to put the baby in. i know crawlers are all the rage, but seriously, babies don't crawl very fast, and they don't have enough body to be more than a light scout.

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Jan 23 2007, 07:37 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

If she's tired of the morning sickness, it can go away. It doesn't usually last the entire pregnancy, and some women don't experience it at all (my wife's one of the lucky ones that didn't).

My group (when it existed) fluctuated between 4 and 8 guys and 2 to 4 girls. One of the girls was the GM's wife, two were player's wives, one was my daughter.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:48 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.