Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How powerful ARE immortal elves?
emo samurai
post Jan 26 2007, 03:28 AM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,019

I coded a program in c to calculate this. *flexes* This is assuming that the average immortal elf has lived 10,000 years and gained 3 karma per month because he has a cheapass GM. That means he has 360,000 karma by the time he hits the 6th world.

I'm disregarding magical groups, since they probably didn't form groups since they're so disinclined to agree with anybody that they didn't convince to agree with them in the first place. And I'm disregarding ordeals, since it's probably a pain in the ass to be constantly writing theses.

I'm assuming that they use 1/2 their karma on initiation grades, and the other half on leveling up their libraries of 100 skills.

The numbers are... *drumroll*... 341 initiation grades (0_0) and 100 skills at rating 43, making them INVINCIBLE.

The source code is here:

[ Spoiler ]

I am the nerdiest man aliiiiiiiiive!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jan 26 2007, 04:43 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

The Karma system breaks down any time you try to apply it beyond its narrow scope as a guage for professional criminals who are always trying to improve themselves.

Past a certain point, improving a skill takes incredible dedication. If you had an extended lifespan, would you become the best kung-fu fighter in the world, or would you get to a cerain point and be happy with it?

The other thing is that immortal elves would only have superhuman skills if they not only had an immortal lifespan, but also an eidetic memory and a superhuman ability to focus on something for thousands of years. More likely, they have learned, and then forgotten, many things over the years.

That said, I would give immortal elves extremely high levels of initiation (20+), at least one or two unique metamagics, quite a few foci, quickened and anchored spells, and spirits, just about every spell in the book, magical skills in the 9-12 range or higher, and a wide selection of other skills at 5-6. They would have the equivalent of exceptional Attribute on all of their mental stats, and physical stats would be at least above average, and magically boosted from there. Their magical tradition would be the equivalent of the Path of the Righ. They would have a huge Karma Pool, say 100 or so (and that's assuming they burn Karma fairly regularly). And to that, I would add lots of minions, paranoid security precautions, and plans ready to go for any contingency.

So they wouldn't be invincible, per se, but they would be effectively invincible against anything but an extremely determined, high-powered team of runners bringing all of their resources to bear. But they aren't invincible by being statless super-beings or having illogical numbers to their stats - they survive by a combination of extreme personal power, more subtly amassed power, and circumspection. Immortal elves shouldn't go around bullying PCs- they are mostly movers and shakers behind the scenes.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Jan 26 2007, 04:45 AM
Post #3

Dragon

You hate fun, Glyph. Why do you hate fun? :D

And Eidetic Memory's a 10 karma positive quality.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Jan 26 2007, 04:53 AM
Post #4

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

But if they took it Emo, then when would the IEs ever get to say, and really mean it, "I've forgotten more about magic and the world then you could possibly understand in a mortal span."

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Jan 26 2007, 04:58 AM
Post #5

Dragon

Then they'd have to settle for saying "I'm sooooooo much better than you."

+Quote Post
yoippari
post Jan 26 2007, 05:05 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,865

So should there be a shelf life to skill points? Mundane boxed points a life of a couple years but the freeze dried and shrink wrapped awakened character's points more like 10 years. Because you need to keep practicing and using skills or you get rusty. Awakened might have special brains that keep their skills from going bad, but it is just a stop gap measure.

So they would need to pay "upkeep" karma on their skills every so often to represent keeping in practice.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Jan 26 2007, 05:10 AM
Post #7

The back-up plan

Great idea Yoippari!

Every century, there will be upkeep equal to the karma cost to build those skills up. This should keep those pesky IEs at nearer to mortal levels.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Jan 26 2007, 05:26 AM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

I had much more fun when the exasperated runner group opened up on Ehran and Harlequin during their silly sword fight. The elves were both blown into bloody chunks, with extra graphic descriptions of what huge amounts of explosive rounds do to unarmored bodies. Then the team walked past the open mouther group of Tir soldiers and into teh sunset.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Jan 26 2007, 05:31 AM
Post #9

Dragon

Wouldn't they have, like, 50 anchored spells to stop the bullets?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 26 2007, 05:46 AM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

yeah.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jan 26 2007, 06:16 AM
Post #11

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

mfb should know, he is one. ;)

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 26 2007, 06:19 AM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

shh, don't tell. i'm trying to scam my way back onto the British throne.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jan 26 2007, 06:23 AM
Post #13

Uncle Fisty

what, you think some shiny sword and a winning smile are enough?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 26 2007, 06:27 AM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

it worked at least once!

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jan 26 2007, 06:36 AM
Post #15

Uncle Fisty

well when you've got actual ranks in the Winning Smile talent, you can go far....

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Jan 26 2007, 07:14 AM
Post #16

Dragon

Especially 43 ranks.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Jan 26 2007, 08:10 AM
Post #17

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
well when you've got actual ranks in the Winning Smile talent, you can go far....

Lasting Impression. ;)

+Quote Post
Kyrn
post Jan 26 2007, 12:46 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 815

I think a good benchmark for IEs is that their group is roughly on par with the Great Dragons. Of course GDs are solitary creatures, and the elves organize into courts of varying sizes (more like covens really). So six or more IEs can roughly equal a GD in power. With some notable exceptions, of course.

Like that fucking bastard, Harlequinn. Still the only fucker in canon to teleport. And I can't even handwave the event out of existence, because it was Findley's last book and...

I just don't have the heart to do that.

Now, for an example of a statted IE, try digging up Prime Runners (I know, I know) and checking out Teachdaire's raw level of accomplishment. Then give him sane choices in adept powers and ware.

There aren't a lot of Grade 9 initiate physical adepts with 4 points of Deltaware running the Earth. He's a scary fucker when used effectively. And there's an argument against him even being a real IE, and that if he is, he's an example of one of the weaker ones. He's rather nutty, as I recall. Does a good job killing Azzies though.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 26 2007, 12:51 PM
Post #19

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Netherwalking != teleporting.

~J

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jan 26 2007, 01:29 PM
Post #20

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

As cheezy as it sounds, especially from the perrinial disliker of IE ultrauberness, IE: me, I kind of like the idea of an IE being the ultimate martial artist. The kind of person who has traveled the world, learning and doing so the hard way, without the benefit of Adept powers or Cyberware or Magic to aid in his learning, and becoming, ironically, the purest Mundane badass.

+Quote Post
Kyrn
post Jan 26 2007, 05:52 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 815

Not after 2070. :D

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Jan 26 2007, 06:07 PM
Post #22

Dragon

Huh?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 26 2007, 06:24 PM
Post #23

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

In SR4, they can't have a skill higher than 7. I believe that's the implication.

~J

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Jan 26 2007, 08:24 PM
Post #24

The back-up plan

The great dragons do, I'd say that opens the door for exceeding the mortal threshold in certain areas.

+Quote Post
Warmaster Lah
post Jan 26 2007, 10:39 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,072

So how many ally spirits you think an IE has. On average. (~_^)

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:56 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.