Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Weapon size differentiation, Or why not always use a sniper rifle
sunnyside
post Feb 1 2007, 10:28 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,502

Basically in the rules, if you're going out loaded for bear, there isn't any reason to not use as heavy a weapon as you can carry. Personally I like some differentiation in the weapons so you may want a different firearm in different tactical situations.

Since I'm now trying SR4 I should come up with SR4 based house rules. Let me know what you thing/what you do.

Shooting from cover/around corners

SMG and smaller - no penalty
rifle/shotgun - standard -1
sniper rifle/heavy weapon - -2
(just try it if you don't think weapon length makes a difference)

fireing while in close combat
hold out pistol - -1
light pistol -2
SMG/heavy pistol -3 (standard)
assault rifle/shotgun -4
sniper rifle -6

Again if this does take sense get something that's 1.5 meters long with an imaginary trigger part way back. Let someone stand close to you and then see if you can "shoot" them with it or if you don't get the chance.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mrlost
post Feb 1 2007, 10:41 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 10,846

I'm not sure it matters where the trigger is when IMHO everyone of note is going to be using Smartgun Links anyway and firing their personal weapons electronically (especially when firing around corners since that is one of the things that the Smartgun link is for).

My character likes using a Defiance EX Shocker since it can be used as a hand or ranged taser and incapacitates fairly easily without murdering my foes. If I was just interested in doing as much damage to my foe as possible its a forgone conclusion that I'd load up the biggest scariest weapon I could lay my grubby hands on.

+Quote Post
Thain
post Feb 1 2007, 10:46 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,652

I find weight and concealabilty is enough of a limiting factor, without introducing rules that none of us will remember anyway. Weight and conceal modifiers can just be noted on the players sheet, and life move on.

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Feb 1 2007, 10:59 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 7,534

And then, there is always the law.

+Quote Post
mrlost
post Feb 1 2007, 11:05 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 10,846

QUOTE (Thain)
I find weight and concealabilty is enough of a limiting factor, without introducing rules that none of us will remember anyway. Weight and conceal modifiers can just be noted on the players sheet, and life move on.

Have to agree on the concealability.

Common sense plays a factor too, if your supposed to infiltrate an office building during the day and blow something up, trying to sneak a Assault Cannon in is going to make things...tricky. You can't exactly hide it under your coat. Unless your the highlander :P

+Quote Post
ornot
post Feb 1 2007, 11:38 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 8,638

Maybe I just run and play in fairly low power games, but by far the most common weapon is a heavy pistol (usually with a clip of gel rounds and a clip of regular, APDS or EX-ex ammo). I don't actually have a problem with characters toting SMGs or assault rifles, but they choose not to as those kinds of weapons tend to attract too much attention in town.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Feb 2 2007, 01:46 AM
Post #7

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (ornot)
Maybe I just run and play in fairly low power games, but by far the most common weapon is a heavy pistol (usually with a clip of gel rounds and a clip of regular, APDS or EX-ex ammo). I don't actually have a problem with characters toting SMGs or assault rifles, but they choose not to as those kinds of weapons tend to attract too much attention in town.

...that's pretty much the norm in my campaigns. Heavy Pistols and SMGs are usually the most common since you can hide them under a longcoat. One character just acquired an Ares Alpha (full decked out sammy girl) but hasn't used it yet. When a bit of hell broke loose outside the coffee shop they were in during the beginning of the last session, she actually drew her pistol loaded with S&S rounds. She wisely left the Alpha concealed in the van.

+Quote Post
Spike
post Feb 2 2007, 03:13 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,765

A great deal of this has to do with what the GM does. If the GM constantly throws fully armored, assualt rifle weilding guards at the players in large numbers, then the players go heavy everywhere.

If the GM lets the players walk around the streets fully strapped for the Yucatan war without the Star falling on them like a ton of bricks, the players will routinely have assualt cannons strapped to their backs.

On the other hand, if the GM keeps the guards light, and only escalates as the players do, then they'll have a good mind to keep a low profile...

+Quote Post
Garrowolf
post Feb 2 2007, 06:05 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,517

Sunnyside, I agree with your point. I do think that there should be some more situational modifiers. Somehow it seems like these modifiers should be giving a bonus to the defender though instead of the attacker but I can see it both ways.

One way I thought about dealing with this giving the defender within a certain range a bonus to parry longarms. Basically it is easier to move it out of the way.

The length of the rifle is causing a problem right now in Iraq in confined quarters. That is why some people favor bullpup configurations. The Israelis are developing a bullpup assualt rifle to replace the M16 for their solidiers.

Now the only real problem I have with your idea is that you have a -2 to firing from cover with a sniper rifle. This is the main way you use them. With cover you have a stable platform. I think that it would improve things for a sniper rifle.

I agree on the close combat and not on the cover part.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Feb 2 2007, 06:44 AM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Another problem you have is that any space that a troll can fit in, a man with a rifle can fit just as well or better. So unless you want to give trolls a constant -1 or -2 to their dice pools for being in confined spaces, this won't fly.

+Quote Post
Garrowolf
post Feb 2 2007, 06:50 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,517

Actually Bob I do give Trolls a problem with confined spaces. I also give them a problem with small objects because of their large hands and their dermal deposits make it hard to hold tiny things. I tend to see this and the level of racism against them as balence factors. But on the other paw I give them 2 pts of free RC for their mass and a +2 to intimidation checks.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Feb 2 2007, 01:39 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

By the way I don't have a problem with stupid PCs who just want to fight. It's just that it would feel more realistic and, if they know they're getting into a fight as occasionally happens, they would have tactical choices to make that might give them more SWAT like layouts.

Plus I always feel a little silly sending out guards with SMGs when assault rifles are wholly superior. I'm sure they don't mind as it's fluffy but there you are.

Or maybe the lesson is that SMGs are only for times when you need to conceal them and shotguns are for full auto on gyromounts.

@ Bob & Garrowulf. The cover modifier isn't for space limitations but the added difficulty to the shot when leaning around a corner or something else unwieldy instead of being able to have a proper grip. I don't and wouldn't advise applying the modifier if the users can fire their weapon in the normal fashion and there just happens to be some cover between them and the target. Similarly I wouldn't impose it if you can properly set up in a window or somesuch.

+Quote Post
Mistwalker
post Feb 2 2007, 01:57 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,304

@Sunnyside

SMGs are a lot easier to get around with for most things. I am not talking about concealability. Getting into or out of a vehicle, moving around in confined spaces, etc..

Assault rifles are usually long and unwieldly in any kind of confined space, like offices, sewers, etc..

That is why tank crews won't be issued with assault rifles, but probably SMGs.

+Quote Post
cristomeyers
post Feb 2 2007, 02:16 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,642

QUOTE (mrlost)
You can't exactly hide it under your coat. Unless your the highlander :P

The Trench Coat hides all...

I would have to disagree on pistols having CC penalties. Anything larger, sure, but not pistols. They're one handed weapons and if you're firing while in close combat, you're most likely already taking the off-hand penalty (is there one? hasn't come up yet).

+Quote Post
underaneonhalo
post Feb 2 2007, 03:24 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,736

QUOTE (sunnyside)
Plus I always feel a little silly sending out guards with SMGs when assault rifles are wholly superior.  I'm sure they don't mind as it's fluffy but there you are.

Or maybe the lesson is that SMGs are only for times when you need to conceal them and shotguns are for full auto on gyromounts.

I could argue the superiority of the SMG over the AR in confined spaces all day, but seeing as FN Herstal has already done the work for me I'll just direct your attention here.

Also check out some of H&K's promo videos, awesome stuff. :grinbig:

+Quote Post
cristomeyers
post Feb 2 2007, 03:44 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

True, tight spaces call for SMGs and shotguns. Take your Assault Rifles to open spaces for suppressive fire.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Feb 2 2007, 03:53 PM
Post #17

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

You are aware that the average shotgun is as easy to move around as a rifle?

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Feb 2 2007, 04:37 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

@ mist and crist. I agree and that's what I'm trying to model. Ideally if equiping a team I'd like them(or me) to think things like "Ok we want a couple people with pistols/SMGs in front. One guy with a FA shotgun in case we need to clear a room. A couple guys with assault rifles for midrange/heavier hitting and one sniper rifle in case we need to drop a high rotodrone."

However what I'm wondering is if that's a good way to model things.

+Quote Post
Spike
post Feb 2 2007, 04:46 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
You are aware that the average shotgun is as easy to move around as a rifle?

Many shotguns used for 'combat' applications are significantly shorter, as they do not require the barrel length that rifles do for maximum efficency. However, yes they are still more or less longer than most SMGs, and therefore a bit unwieldy...

I think, however, that the reason they still get a bye is because they are most effective at close quarters. Police use shotguns in urban environments, in WWI US doughboys earned the ire of europe by using them in trenches... The shotgun is the king of close quarters firepower.... and the SMG is queen. :P

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Feb 2 2007, 04:58 PM
Post #20

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

And where does this put short-barrel, folding-stock assaultrifles like the G36C?

+Quote Post
Spike
post Feb 2 2007, 05:11 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
And where does this put short-barrel, folding-stock assaultrifles like the G36C?

Actually, if you look at the game use of such weapons, it's essentially a very high power (or should be) SMG. Most games put such cut down assault rifles as cut down AK series (AKMs and the like) into the SMG catagory, along with the Bushmaster (a 5.56mm SMG)...

+Quote Post
cristomeyers
post Feb 2 2007, 06:47 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

I think SR pretty much just calls them carbines and puts them in the SMG category.

+Quote Post
Thain
post Feb 2 2007, 08:35 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,652

QUOTE (cristomeyers)
I think SR pretty much just calls them carbines and puts them in the SMG category.

Bingo. This, of course, blatantly ignores what a carbine actually is... But the designers have no idea what a clip, magazine, semiautomatic, double action, sound suppressor, or a bullet actually are either. Part of the charm of SR is just how many basic things about firearms it has ignored over the years... Sadly, many other RPGs seem to have copied all these same mistakes.

I have actually been forbidden by my game-master to stop correctign the other players when they say things like "I load a clip of new bulltets into my Ares Predator." ARRGH!

I can understand the designers reasons for not listing concealability and weight in the SR4 book, but in all honesty, I think it causes far more problems then it solves. Thankfully, we all have access to prior sourcebooks and quickly added both back into the game. 99.9% of the time, we don't track it, but when we need to we have it available.

I've played every edition of this game, and have read every last gear supplement, and to date I've not seen a single one that uses clips.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Feb 2 2007, 08:42 PM
Post #24

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

I have actually been forbidden by my game-master to stop correctign the other players when they say things like "I load a clip of new bulltets into my Ares Predator." ARRGH!

Forgive me, but what's wrong with the statement? I ask not so that you become so incensed that you destroy your keyboard but only for my own personal edification.

+Quote Post
Spike
post Feb 2 2007, 08:42 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Thain:

While I understand what your point is, it is rather... er... silly to insist on the exactly correct technical terms at the game table, much less in the book. Common use terms are not the same as technical terms, and lets face it: Clip is common lingo now.

Sure, you and I and a few other gun geeks out there know a clip is a band of metal holding a number of rounds together and is left out of the gun when it's loaded...

but to joe gamer, just like Joe on the street a clip is a box magazine, nothing more and nothing less. Language is fluid, roll with it.

Just like in todays world, the M4 carbine is not technically a carbine at all. But that's what the Army calls it. Good enough for goverment work, I say. ;)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:12 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.