Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Reality Filter, AR and VR
Garrowolf
post Feb 6 2007, 07:05 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,517

What if instead of having AR and VR being completely seperate you have them as a continuum? Treat AR, VR, and eality Filter as all versions of the same thing.

At the bottom of the rung is small simple interfaces. They can be floating hologram looking menu systems. They give you the abiliy to access information and have a limited feedback system to allow you to push buttons they project.

Then next rung has full floating AR that uses your head as the center of a desktop. Basically it al floats around you and you can move your head some but notthat much before the whole thing moves with it. You can pull these windows around and mentally press some buttons.

The next rung is better integration with the physical world. You can anchor a window to a meatspace object as long as it has a RFID tag there. This way you can have an office++ in meatspace. You can also close your eyes and enter into VR to see a small office or a house with fairly good rendering. You can access a VR site and asign it to a door. Then you can walk through the door in a form of Virtual Projection (kind of like Astral Projection - like that? I just made it up! Virtual Projection (At least I think that I made it up)). You walk around while your meat body is coma like.

The next rung is good integration with the physical world. You can edit the world around you to look like some other place. You can give your house a window that looks like a real window, looking out onto the Mediterrianian ocean. You can change your walls. You can edit new objects that are VR that either cover up the physical or add features to the physical. You can feel these objects as different. The simsense is there adding to it's reality. People in VR can come over to your altered house (or your real one) and interact with you as if they were actually there. They would open the door. It would show that the door was open and provide the correct sounds as well. He could shake your hand and the simsense would provide that information as well.

You could either choose to Virtual Project or edit the world around you to still go to a VR site. You could have you bedroom work like a holodeck. You would just have your reality filter providing clues to keep you from hitting walls or furniture. It could scroll with you so that you could move through the VR site to places out of range of the size of your room. You look like you are walking straight through the room but you are actually pacing slowly back and forth wth the VR rotating around you. You tell it mentally that you want to make it to a certain chair so it will steer you to your own chair at the right moment.

The last level would be fully integrated. Your reality is fluid.

I was thinking that each of these steps would require a higher and higher system and response level. This way you can have low level commlinks that act much like AR PDAs. Then you have someone who is always making the world a rosy hue.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Feb 6 2007, 09:18 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

The problem here is that the limits on the interface are generally the user's ability to comprehend the data and the design of the interface that makes this harder or easier. Even the dirt cheap CPUs found in t-shirt care tags can probably put up all sorts up pretty pictures in post processor-gasm 2070.

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Feb 6 2007, 10:30 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 7,534

Garrowolf: thats already the case. Sim-modules provide AR and VR. VR is just full AR with RAS override on.

Dont ask me how that fits to the rules, but thats the fluff.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Feb 6 2007, 03:08 PM
Post #4

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

i would not say that AR is just VR with the RAS off, and i cant say i understand how you get that impression from the books. but then we have had a lot of those discussions lately. so many in fact that i some times wonder if we are reading the same book ;)

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Feb 6 2007, 04:30 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 7,534

Effectively its just that.

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Feb 6 2007, 05:12 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

QUOTE (Garrowolf)
Then next rung has full floating AR that uses your head as the center of a desktop. Basically it al floats around you and you can move your head some but notthat much before the whole thing moves with it. You can pull these windows around and mentally press some buttons.

Tangent.

Why is this a good thing? I can alt-tab from window to window and use keyboard shortcuts a lot faster than I can reach up, grab the dancing document icon, and move it in front of me, then pull out my virtual pen to start writing a document.

I completely buy in to the idea of the VR matrix, but at the same time, I really don't. It simplifies things to a level that anyone can grasp, but I think the hard core are still command-line hacking.

I liken it to the Matrix, where the Operators learn to actually read the code, not the digital representations. They don't watch a movie screen showing what's happening, they watch the streaming code bits to know what's going on....

And I know it's a staple of VR from way way back, it just occasionally bugs me.

Then I go model the next DatSecure haven as a neon blue sphynx with 5 wings, and get over it. ;)

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Feb 6 2007, 05:25 PM
Post #7

panda!

QUOTE (Serbitar)
Effectively its just that.

reductio ad absurdum in effect i take it...

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Feb 6 2007, 05:33 PM
Post #8

panda!

QUOTE (lorechaser)
I liken it to the Matrix, where the Operators learn to actually read the code, not the digital representations. They don't watch a movie screen showing what's happening, they watch the streaming code bits to know what's going on....

but operators are slowpokes compared to agents and neo.

do not forget that hot sim VR is compared to people being able to feel the code flowing past them. kinda like neo "feeling" the agents outside the door in matrix 2...

its also a case of rather then reading, interpeting and formulating the right command to send back, you just reach for the virtual file like you whould reach for the physical document.

you are not thinking about each and every movement of the arm when reaching for a book on the table. but if want to load a file commandline style you have to think about the file name, the command name, and maybe some switches you want to use to get the right sorting of the files content.

when one talks about the power of the command line, one most often talk about the ability to chain together multiple programs using "pipes". that you can send the output of one program as input to another.

this is much harder to do when using gui style programs.

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Feb 6 2007, 06:20 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
QUOTE (lorechaser @ Feb 6 2007, 06:12 PM)
I liken it to the Matrix, where the Operators learn to actually read the code, not the digital representations.  They don't watch a movie screen showing what's happening, they watch the streaming code bits to know what's going on....

but operators are slowpokes compared to agents and neo.

do not forget that hot sim VR is compared to people being able to feel the code flowing past them. kinda like neo "feeling" the agents outside the door in matrix 2...

its also a case of rather then reading, interpeting and formulating the right command to send back, you just reach for the virtual file like you whould reach for the physical document.

you are not thinking about each and every movement of the arm when reaching for a book on the table. but if want to load a file commandline style you have to think about the file name, the command name, and maybe some switches you want to use to get the right sorting of the files content.

when one talks about the power of the command line, one most often talk about the ability to chain together multiple programs using "pipes". that you can send the output of one program as input to another.

this is much harder to do when using gui style programs.

Maybe that's the key. I'm not thinking of it from a DNI point of view. I'm thinking of the guys with the trodes on their heads and the gloves, actually reaching out to grab the book.

If rather than the thought process of "windows -> arrow down 3x, enter" I think "open drawer, remove book" it might not be so different.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Feb 6 2007, 06:33 PM
Post #10

panda!

as in reaching for the AR book icon/ARO?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 6 2007, 06:46 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

interfaces are probably customizable by the user. people who don't use computers often probably slave their icon's 'movement' to their gloves--when the user moves his hand, the icon moves his hand, so they look like blind retards. more advanced users slave most Matrix actions to finger movements. curling your right index finger downloads whatever your left index finger is pointing at. tapping your left index finger and thumb together logs you off. tiny, intuitive gestures.

DNI would work the same way. slow users (low skill, low-end gear) concentrate on moving in the direction they want to go, and their icon moves that way. faster users select a location by glancing at it, twitch their virtual fingers, and end up where they wanted to go.

+Quote Post
Garrowolf
post Feb 7 2007, 08:10 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

okay so I didn't really finish.

What I was trying to say was how about this as a new stat on your commlink? Basically give rules to the fluff.

I was thinking that if it had a rating it could be linked to response. It would show the difference in another way from one level of commlink to another. The cheap stuff would be a version of a PDA. A high level one would be like walking into a desktop.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Feb 7 2007, 11:53 AM
Post #13

panda!

i just dont see the need for that...

+Quote Post
Garrowolf
post Feb 8 2007, 04:21 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (hobgoblin)

*sigh*

Then don't use it.
I was trying to come up with a way to integrate the pieces a little better. I also don't see the reason that there should be a IP boost when using VR.

+Quote Post
cetiah
post Feb 8 2007, 05:07 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,510

QUOTE (Garrowolf @ Feb 7 2007, 11:21 PM)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 7 2007, 06:53 AM)

*sigh*

Then don't use it.
I was trying to come up with a way to integrate the pieces a little better. I also don't see the reason that there should be a IP boost when using VR.

I don't really see the need either. An interface "type" works for me.

But I'll bite anyway.
In 2070, factors such as memory and hard drive space are assumed to be infinitely abundant. And yet, System and Response are limtied and yet they are the only thing that can be theoretically determined to be "infinitely abundant" with today's technology through distribtued computing.

It's clear that we need a limiting attribute somewhere in the rules, and I think replacing Response (which is more or less useless) with Interface opens up a wide range of possibilities. I don't know for what. One idea I can think of is to have every interface device contribute some amount to Interface score. So a DNI interface will have a different Interface score than someone using gloves and glasses.

If you adopt Frank's theory that coordinating activities between multiple nodes is the primary characteristic of System and System represents the ability to orchestrate these resources, then I can even see Interface reflecting System. Alternatively, I suppose Interface could limit hits in the same manner that spells limit hits for magicians.

I don't know. There's stuff you can do.

+Quote Post
Garrowolf
post Feb 8 2007, 06:06 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

well I can see some sort of matrix score based on proxy actions you have taken. I can see what he is talking about. I'm just worried that it is leading away from regular shadowrunning. It would work well for NPC hacker information brokers though.

I already have reworked the concepts of response and system. Response is a combination of CPU and memory. It is the hardware limiter.

System is just a package deal OS. I don't use it as a limiter. It is basically the default rating for the common use programs and the firewall. It is just what it packaged with your commlink. That way the PC doesn't have to buy up a bunch of programs. They buy the System and raise a couple of programs that they use alot. You could have a System of 3 and a Firewall and Reality Filter of 5.

Response is the only limiter. You can have a program on your computer that has a higher rating then your response but it only works at your response level. If you are having to bridge through a repeater then the rating of the repeater's response becomes the limiter.

I like the idea of calling it an Interface rating.

+Quote Post
cetiah
post Feb 8 2007, 06:36 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (Garrowolf)
System is just a package deal OS. I don't use it as a limiter. It is basically the default rating for the common use programs and the firewall. It is just what it packaged with your commlink. That way the PC doesn't have to buy up a bunch of programs.

Hmmm. Sort of like the computer "defaults" to its attribute rating. I kind of like that.

+Quote Post
Garrowolf
post Feb 8 2007, 06:40 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Basically I think of system as just the stuff that comes with the OS. It's like windows. You could put more advanced programs on it then what it came with. The limiter was the hardware most of the time, not the software. People think that it is the software because they didnt find the right patch to get it to work most of the time.

This way it is simple to buy commlinks but people can fine tune what they want quickly.

+Quote Post
Spike
post Feb 8 2007, 07:36 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,765

The way I've seen it is more or less thusly:

AR requires some sort of display/interface technology to work. This can be wireless capable contact lenses (In teh RAW no less...) that read your eye movements coupled with voice recognition software and earbuds for sound replay. But you DO have that display/interface requirement.

VR requires a simrig in your commlink. Simrigs either require a trode set or a datajack to function, and the data flows too and from your brain.

I don't see this as an interpretation so much as what the damn manual says. Maybe I'm reading into it, maybe not. VR requires SIM, SIM requires a SIMsense interface... trodes/datajack. AR does not require/use SIMsense at all, completely different method of interfacing. the AR display could completely cover your reality with a reality filter, but it's a hollow illusion, take off your display set, or use a sense not covered (touch, say) and you won't feel plate armor or see knights... you'll touch and see the dirty real world without any ARO's or filters.

VR is essentially real, it's all in your head, but its real. Only by breaking the connection completely can you get out of it (vs just peeking around your VR display).

Obviously the difference between hot and cold VR is the level of signal strength and the number of filters between your brain and nasty Mr. black IC. Note that by purely fluffy descriptions, Hot Sim VR can fry your brain even without hostile IC attacking you (and probably represents a critical glitch). It's runnign sim without safety nets...

All of which might explain why I find these threads a little confusing.... :wobble:

+Quote Post
cetiah
post Feb 8 2007, 07:47 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

QUOTE (Spike)
All of which might explain why I find these threads a little confusing.... :wobble:

"What if instead of having AR and VR being completely seperate you have them as a continuum?" -Garowolf

+Quote Post
Garrowolf
post Feb 8 2007, 08:14 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Yes Spike I was talking about a CHANGE.

I think that the seperation between AR and VR is mostly artificial. If you make it a series of Interface levels then it makes more sense. I think by this point you could have alot more levels of simsense access then just hot, cold, and off. You would probably need one for the AR anyway to give you tactile feedback from touching the floating windows.

I was thinking that the types of interface could give you access to certain interface levels.

Take away the bonuses from VR. It shouldn't make you faster because it is a physical object to be manipulated. If anything it should keep it at the same rate as you normally do things.

I was thinking that the interface type could determine that. Basically have the passive types be things that allow you to see and maybe feel things as a receiver. Basically have something like the squid from Strange Days that sends but does not receive. Then the datajack becomes useful again because you reasonably would be faster if you could mentally access controls. Those controls would be faster as small floating icons and such instead of large virtual objects. Flashing menus and fast icon clusters would be much faster.

Besides there is no real reason for the VR to need simsense. It just is more convienent. You can do VR now (just low res). I see no reason that you can't have simsense in variable levels in AR as well. Why not have a menu for a resturant where you can taste things ahead of time? Why not have your commlink tell your body that you are warmer then it really is?

The game has packaged things together a certain way. I think that you can do alot of interesting things by seperating them.

+Quote Post
Spike
post Feb 8 2007, 04:46 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,765

Well, I can see that then. Rather than suggesting they ARE something which is contradicted by the RAW, you are advocating making a change to teh RAW to add levels of interesting ideas to your games. I'm down with that.

Recall that as it stands the only way to actually feel or smell anything in AR now is to buy very expensive and limited tactile feedback suits and rare and exotic (becuase you gotta be strange to do it...) cyberware that accepts teh occasional ARO code for smells. The AVERAGE AR user doesn't feel the icon's he moves around.

The reason for the seperateing the AR/VR thing is that according to the book, everyone uses AR to some extent all day long. You don't see billboards and roadsigns and advertisements, you see ARO's. Go to a 'bookstore' and the books are flat black boxes with no information on them, its all in the AR interface everyone uses from RFID tags. You don't talk to your buddy, you chat with him via AR, you don't flirt with that hot chixxor, you check out her AR profile and send a compatabilty check. People aren't going to have it downloaded into their brains be default.... maybe some would like it, but others would refuse to make that leap. Simsense is still 'dangerous' technology... and a technology that overrides your normal sensory input, making it daunting to use while attempting to use your real senses at the same time.

Now, altering sim to make it a continuum is not a bad idea for flavor reasons. Mechanically it wouldn't need to have an effect, unless you just like people being kacked by rogue IC through their cell phones as a feature of daily life. Remember in Strange Days the 'Sim' technology was fairly safe, the closest we saw to an actual murder using it involved the bad guy monkeying with the hardware while the guy was 'jacked in' to override his ability to get out. Essentially he electrocuted the man by the special effect of burning out his brain from sensory overload...

+Quote Post
Garrowolf
post Feb 8 2007, 06:28 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

I don't think that the average user needs to worry about IC in the first place. You can very easily have a safe rig that has safety limits in the hardware. You can feel like you have touched something but not that you have been stabbed. You can feel like you have smelled something but not a poison gas. You can probably taste things but not burn your tongue.

My point is that the setting has had decades to work on this technology. It is already been on the street for years. I think that it makes sense for it to have evolved. You maybe couldn't generate BTL signals with the normal rig. You would need a specialized or hacked rig to do that.

Simsense doesn't need to be seperated off. I think that it would add to advertising and all kinds of interesting things. I see things moving away from the seperation between VR and RL. We already are trying to go into escapism. WHy not make YOUR world a better place without actually doing good.

Sounds pretty cyberpunk to me.

+Quote Post
cetiah
post Feb 8 2007, 11:59 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Garrowolf @ Feb 8 2007, 01:28 PM)
I don't think that the average user needs to worry about IC in the first place. You can very easily have a safe rig that has safety limits in the hardware. You can feel like you have touched something but not that you have been stabbed. You can feel like you have smelled something but not a poison gas. You can probably taste things but not burn your tongue.

My point is that the setting has had decades to work on this technology. It is already been on the street for years. I think that it makes sense for it to have evolved. You maybe couldn't generate BTL signals with the normal rig. You would need a specialized or hacked rig to do that.

Simsense doesn't need to be seperated off. I think that it would add to advertising and all kinds of interesting things. I see things moving away from the seperation between VR and RL. We already are trying to go into escapism. WHy not make YOUR world a better place without actually doing good.

Sounds pretty cyberpunk to me.

What if your Interface score gave you benefits toward Matrix perception but penalties in actual perception and similiar things. Or penalties to acting outside the Matrix while interfacing with the Matrix at the same time.

How's this?

"Standard" AR has interface 2.
DNI AR and simsense has Interface 4.
VR has Interface 6.
Hot-sim and BTL has Interface 8.
Maximum Interface is 10. Minimum Interface is 0.

A hacker can specify any interface value he wants to use up the limit of his comlink's and associated equipment's Max Interface rating. Technomancers have a max interface value of 10.

Some nodes or matrix activities may require a certain amount of Interface. Most nodes require Interface of 1 for matrix perception or comcalls, and 2 for most operations.
  • Black IC stun/physical damage is limited to your Interface score. Lower scores indicate less possible damage taken in each attack.
  • Each 3 points of interface grants +1 to Matrix perception tests.
  • Each point of interface grants a -1 penalty to "real life" actions taken while conducting Matrix actions, including perception.
It's a start, maybe.
Hope it helps some.

+Quote Post
bait
post Feb 9 2007, 12:38 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,413

AR is designed to allow the user to operate in both the matrix and the real world, in order to do this the matrix side of things is abstracted. ( Kinda of like the current gui interfaces of today.)

This is also why non-matrix initiative is used when running AR as your dealing with ARO and not full matrix objects.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:14 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.