IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ghoul Hunting and HMHVV Infection, There are no details / rules on this.
JanessaVR
post Feb 12 2007, 07:28 PM
Post #1

Awakened Master Ninja

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 10,844

I have some questions that hopefully someone here can point me to some
answers on:

A) What exactly are the bounties on Ghouls and other para-critter menaces? Are we talking spare change or some decent nuyen?

B) In 4e, there apparently are no rules on Disease Resistance Tests or the specifics of HMHVV infection possibilities (something which runners never seem to contract, no matter how many ghouls bite them or bleed all over them with all of their bodily fluids carrying the highly infectious Krieger Strain of HMHVV). Any older references on this that actually have specific game mechanic entries?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cristomeyers
post Feb 12 2007, 07:34 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,642

Don't know about canon, but:

Bounties would vary from place to place depending on the Ghoul population and their threat to the outside world. If there's maybe one nest that really only snags street rats, there's not going to be much of a bounty. I would say start at 750 nuyen a head and work from there.

Disease resistance in 3rd, if I remember correctly, was a Body test. For Ghouls, I would say a Body test with a threshold of how much damage was dealt by the Ghoul to the player. If they fail, they're infected.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Feb 12 2007, 07:41 PM
Post #3

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (JanessaVR)
Any older references on this that actually have specific game mechanic entries?

Companion Revised (SR3) and Target: UCAS (SR2).

Getting infected with KHMHVV is not nice, but it has an incubation time of about one month and can be treated.

Otherwise it's a illness resistence test that need 3 hits (formerly against essence as TN, wich is <=5) for no effects (but possible host if not treated), a nasty 'flu' for 2, 1 causing ghul-look, and 0 being the actual thing.

+Quote Post
Dread Polack
post Feb 12 2007, 09:50 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,822

Isn't it illegal to pay a bounty for killing ghouls in the UCAS? IIRC, Dunkelzahn got that law passed.

Dread Polack

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Feb 12 2007, 10:15 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,502

Actually the SR3 companion even told you about playing as a ghoul after the change. You might have to translate things a little, but I thought it was pretty good.

+Quote Post
Thane36425
post Feb 12 2007, 11:08 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,416

Ghoul bounties vary widely. In Seattle it was about 100 nuten for a male and 150 for a female. In Germany it was EC 10,000, and in England it was 25,000 either pounds of Nuyen, can't remember which. Fat chance collecting it though since pretty mcuh everything that could be a weapon was banned or regulated and mages had to give material samples and have implant bombs to make sure you behaved.

I always thought Seattle's bounty was low, but that was probably a game mechanic. It was set low so all new players wouldn't go out and get rich quick killing ghouls.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Feb 12 2007, 11:41 PM
Post #7

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

QUOTE (sunnyside)
Actually the SR3 companion even told you about playing as a ghoul after the change.  You might have to translate things a little, but I thought it was pretty good.

If by "good" you mean "the rules do not generate the NPC ghouls that existed before, during, and after those rules were current" then yes. If you might mean something like "rules that were fairly balanced and allowed players to have characters which vaguely matched up with the ghouls demonstrated everywhere else in the game" - then no. Those rules were shit.

I always thought Seattle's bounty was low, but that was probably a game mechanic. It was set low so all new players wouldn't go out and get rich quick killing ghouls.

Absolutely. While a bounty on a Sioux Scalp has been as low as $25, that was back in 1863, when that was worth about 416 bucks in todays money. That's a good baseline minimum for what someone might accept in order to kill a sapient person and take a gruesome trophy in for a reward.

Still, the days of going into dungeons sewers and fighting Ghouls for cash are over. Thankfully, that was kind of dumb.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Dale
post Feb 13 2007, 01:31 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,088

My 2 :nuyen: are that ghouls are a walking plague that need to be hunted to extinction.

+Quote Post
Draug
post Feb 13 2007, 02:09 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,259

My 2 :nuyen: are tossed into Frank Trollman's hat. Da capo!

+Quote Post
JanessaVR
post Feb 13 2007, 02:15 AM
Post #10

Awakened Master Ninja

QUOTE (Dale @ Feb 12 2007, 08:31 PM)
My 2  :nuyen:  are that ghouls are a walking plague that need to be hunted to extinction.

Dale: My thoughts exactly. I'm thinking my new Elf Chaos Mage has a weekend hobby of hunting ghouls - call it voluntary community service (we all have our own definitions of being civic-minded). I was just curious if it could at least supply some spending nuyen for the effort - and the risks of infection if you let one of the nasty things get too close to you...

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Feb 13 2007, 02:17 AM
Post #11

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

Why was the bounty higher on female ghouls?

[edit]How did they determine the gender - drag the entire day's haul back to Mr. Johnson?

+Quote Post
JanessaVR
post Feb 13 2007, 02:18 AM
Post #12

Awakened Master Ninja

QUOTE (Thane36425)
Fat chance collecting it though since pretty mcuh everything that could be a weapon was banned or regulated and mages had to give material samples and have implant bombs to make sure you behaved.

Implant bombs? I read the London book some time ago and I remember the tissue samples but I must have missed the implant bombs! Yikes! *Really* avoiding the UK for any future runs...geez...

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Feb 13 2007, 03:11 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

Gouls are not hunted in the UCAS and CAS. In the NAN they are just killed if they are found near towns or cities. In Quebec they is still a bounty on their heads. You will have to look it up in the Shadows of North America to see how much it is.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Feb 13 2007, 03:18 AM
Post #14

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (JanessaVR)
QUOTE (Dale @ Feb 12 2007, 08:31 PM)
My 2  :nuyen:  are that ghouls are a walking plague that need to be hunted to extinction.

Dale: My thoughts exactly. I'm thinking my new Elf Chaos Mage has a weekend hobby of hunting ghouls - call it voluntary community service (we all have our own definitions of being civic-minded). I was just curious if it could at least supply some spending nuyen for the effort - and the risks of infection if you let one of the nasty things get too close to you...

You know the very best place to hunt for ghoul bounties? Asamando. Getting your trophies across the border will be trouble but you'll never be at a loss for game.

+Quote Post
Sir_Psycho
post Feb 13 2007, 03:26 AM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,361

Just because there aren't government sanctioned ghoul bounties, doesn't mean us shadowrunners don't get hired to put some lead on ghoul communities.

+Quote Post
Thane36425
post Feb 13 2007, 03:47 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,416

QUOTE (JanessaVR)
QUOTE (Thane36425 @ Feb 12 2007, 06:08 PM)
Fat chance collecting it though since pretty mcuh everything that could be a weapon was banned or regulated and mages had to give material samples and have implant bombs to make sure you behaved.

Implant bombs? I read the London book some time ago and I remember the tissue samples but I must have missed the implant bombs! Yikes! *Really* avoiding the UK for any future runs...geez...

I've been looking for that reference but can't find it. It was mentioned in a published mission I played years ago. Maybe that was in Tir Nan Nog that they did that? It is probably in one of the books that is currently hiding from me.

+Quote Post
Sir_Psycho
post Feb 13 2007, 05:37 AM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,361

I seriously doubt it was Tir Nan Og, them bein' so magic lovin' and all. Fraggin' daisy eaters.

+Quote Post
Slump
post Feb 13 2007, 10:28 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,492

If you were a sick and twisted individual, you could easily exploit ghoul bounties by just getting a bunch of squatters infected, shoving them into a cage until they transformed, then killing them to collect the bounty. All you'd need to do is capture one ghoul, and you could make all the ghouls you wanted.

Hired to clear out a building full of squatters? Why not get paid twice! Heck, for the squatters that didn't survive, you could probably find some ghoul-sympathizers to sell the meat to!

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Feb 13 2007, 12:53 PM
Post #19

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 8,314

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Why was the bounty higher on female ghouls?

For the same reason that modern hunters are required to kill a doe before being allowed to kill a buck during deer hunting season when the herd is too large: the female is necessary for breeding.

How did they determine the gender - drag the entire day's haul back to Mr. Johnson?

There are a number of body parts that can be used for sex identification, including the hands, the head, the pelvis, the mammary, and the genitalia.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Feb 13 2007, 05:41 PM
Post #20

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

You know, when it comes to ghouls, somehow I suspect that sexual reproduction is probably far and away in the minority compared to infective reproduction.

Plus, walking around with hacked-off body parts is a really good way to get infected yourself...

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Feb 13 2007, 06:58 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
You know, when it comes to ghouls, somehow I suspect that sexual reproduction is probably far and away in the minority compared to infective reproduction.

actually, according to the SR3 companion, most of the ghouls in the world were born that way.

+Quote Post
Crakkerjakk
post Feb 13 2007, 07:09 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,756

Seems like the problem with classic werewolves to me. You get bitten by a werewolf, you turn into one. Reason why the world isn't everflowing with werewolves? You gotta survive a werewolf attack first.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Feb 13 2007, 07:11 PM
Post #23

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)

I see where you're coming from, here, but then I'm walking around at work and I see a couple who weigh close to a half-ton between them and suddenly ghoul procreation becomes a little more believable.

The feral ones probably breed like any wild animal, and the civilized ones eventually get lonely/horny and hook up with each other.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Feb 13 2007, 07:42 PM
Post #24

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

Ghoul reproduction really isn't that weird if you think about it for a while. Let's consider the problems that ghouls have getting laid:
  • They Smell Really Bad.
    Well, they smell really bad to non-ghouls. To other Ghouls they smell virile and attractive. So that's not really a problem.
  • They look like crap.
    Well, they look all funky on the physical plane - they are also blind on the physical plane and get around entirely by astral perception. And astrally, they look much more alive and powerful than the pale shadows that mundane humans look like.
  • They are all clawed and shit.
    Not a problem if your potental mate also has claws. In fact, when you get up in the morning with a strength of 6, you probably don't even want to have sex with normal humans - they're like little girls to you.

Really, once you get over the minor details like "humans are genetically determined to enter a fight-or-flight response upon seeing or smelling a Ghoul" - they're actually pretty hot. A person who becomes a Ghoul is more than twice as strong and gains less than 10% body mass. So they are extremely athletic and healthy - prime breeding stock except for the whole thing where their mere presence invkes an instinctual revulsion response in normal metahumans.

And other Ghouls don't have that response, so from their perspective every Ghoul woman is built like Keira Knightley and is immune to preeclampsia. Seriously, how could you not hit that?

-Frank

+Quote Post
Crakkerjakk
post Feb 13 2007, 08:27 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,756

How's that song go? "ooo that smell... can't you smell that smell...."

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:36 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.