IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun Anime influences, Which would be more SR-ish?
Perssek
post Feb 17 2007, 07:41 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,968

Recently I watched this Black Lagoon anime, that could easily be a Cyberpirates setting, minus cyber and other high-tech stuff. Well, some characters display amazing capacities that only an adept or sammie could have, like one of the protagonists, that shoots with both hands and always hits.

There´s also Ghost in the Shell, the movies and the series, but that´s far obvious. Witch Hunter Robin deals with an agency that tracks and hunts people with a "mage gene", and one of the hunters also has this gene. They don´t have not cyber, but magic is extremely SR-like.

Any other sugestions for anime? I´m trying to build a new gaming group, and almost all of the candidates (except for one) are anime fans that never gamed before. My idea is that if I can relate them to the setting´s mood, they can have a better approach to gaming.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Feb 17 2007, 07:47 AM
Post #2

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

Not an Anime fan myself, but I heard Cowboy Beebop is both good and quite cyber-punkish. Also Bubblegum Crisis might fit the theme. Akira, maybe.

Only seen Akira myself from those, and didn't like it at all, but that doesn't mean anything, since I don't really like Anime. ;)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Feb 17 2007, 07:47 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

After a quick glance at my anime shelf

Akira
Bubblegum Crisis
Patlabor
Appleseed
Blood

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Feb 17 2007, 07:50 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

I think the old GITS movie best fits the bill. I've watched quite a lot of anime over the years and I'd say that most futuristic or cyberpunk anime settings don't have quite the combat grit that Shadowrun does for someone new to the combat system.

For example, Noir (isn't futuristic, I guess) could be about a pair of Shadowrunners, but the style of the gunfights is very not Shadowrun. All the bad guys die with one hit from a tiny pistol and the unarmored non-cover-using main characters can go pistol rambo and not have any problems.

For anime that resembles Shadowrun you have to get away from that dynamic.

+Quote Post
Gerzel
post Feb 17 2007, 07:52 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,771

QUOTE (Thanee)
Not an Anime fan myself, but I heard Cowboy Beebop is both good and quite cyber-punkish. Also Bubblegum Crisis might fit the theme. Akira, maybe.

Only seen Akira myself from those, and didn't like it at all, but that doesn't mean anything, since I don't really like Anime. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Bubblegum Crisis is good, as is Akira for SR style.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Feb 17 2007, 09:02 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

I love Bubblegum Crisis, but it is only superficially like shadowrun. You take a first look and think "Hey, these Knight Sabers are just like shadowrunners!"

But one of shadowrun's main themes is that the runners are cogs in the very system that they fight against. They can do some good, but for the most part they are pawns. The Knight Sabers, on the other hand, make elite police units seem underarmed by comparison, kill megacorporate executives and sign the crime scene, and otherwise are at the top of the food chain.

Noir has a more shadowrun feel, but as in many anime, completely mundane characters are capable of doing amazing feats in combat that couldn't be matched by the most tweaked-out adept or street samurai. In addition to the usual "You can't hit us, but we kill with every single shot" thing, you see things like one of them hitting the same spot in a wall repeatedly to make a bullet hole, then firing through that bullet hole, and killing people.

Ghost in the Shell has a shadowrun feel, with the caveat that it deals with government operatives rather than independent agents. Go with the superior manga, though, not the film, which is nice eye candy but not nearly as good.

Akira, other than the psis, was very shadowrun in feel. And although it is an older title, it has aged very well.

+Quote Post
Sir_Psycho
post Feb 17 2007, 02:11 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,361

Watch Akira for Go-Gang inspiration, seriously. And also the riots and following government/military MASSACRES are good to set the tone.

Ghost In The Shell is amazing influence for the feel of the Matrix. The fact that they have VR (Diving) and also can hack things wirelessly is great inspiration for both sr3 and sr4. Also, the first movie confronts a lot of interesting issues that could be related back to the effects of cyberware upon the human being. Other things that feature are Ruthenium skin/polymers and vehicle rigging.

Ghost in the Shell II is interesting, though I'm not totally sure what could be applied to Shadowrun. The concept of Anthroform Drones modified to be prostitutes and going nuts/getting hacked would make a great plot hook, with some tweaking.

The TV show is quicker, flashier and is probably way better for one shot run ideas. Although you have to remember that a hacker (if you're sr4) can not hack another person to punch himself in the face. However, some instances of the Laughing Man (probably the l33test hacker ever) would make good ideas for things to do with the matrix (for example. If a hacker altered a Simchip production factory to cause all the chippers to think they are the laughing man, and then believe it is their mission to kill a certain government official).

All i've got right now honestly.

+Quote Post
Thane36425
post Feb 17 2007, 04:21 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,416

There was one on Adult Swim for a while called Blue Gender. It was about some kind of creatures that had taken over the earth and were feeding on the Humans. That could be inspiration for a Chicago Containment Zone of Inscet Spirit heavy campaign. You would have to work in magic though. Probably more to the series than I know about: I didn't really get into it and didn't watch the whole thing.

Witch Hunter Robin was an interesting premise.

With modification, Bleach could work. Make the Soul Society an initiatory group for Adept and a few mages whose purpose is to hunt ghosts, ghouls, wraiths, toxics, etc.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 17 2007, 04:50 PM
Post #9

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Texhnolyze. There's no magic (or almost none, I suppose), but the characters don't demonstrate any resistance to damage they shouldn't have, and… well, there are more similarities, but they're hard to describe without giving things away. Anyway, it's awesome, and is very cyberpunk.

BLAME! Of course, you'll want to read the manga first, as I can't imagine it making any sense whatsoever without it (it's an OVA of the oldschool "let's make a short OVA for the preexisting fans" variety).

It's manga rather than anime, but Duds Hunt is very Shadowrunnish. Lower tech, but the proper sort of authoritarian hopelessness.

I think there were more, but I can't remember right now.

~J

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Feb 17 2007, 09:04 PM
Post #10

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

Black Lagoon kicks aaaaasss!!!

And the end has a lot of syndicate action.

+Quote Post
Trigger
post Feb 18 2007, 12:06 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 10,215

A awesome anime with very nice syndicate and a shedim-esque protagonist is one of my favorites: Gungrave. If you have not seen it, I do highly recommend it.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Feb 18 2007, 03:54 AM
Post #12

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

The 2 season of the TV shoiw Ghost in the Shell are great for SR- each season had an over all plot but many little runs inside it.

Read or Die, the original serries or the later one have good interaction though the paper masters is a little hard to get in.

in Witch Hunter the entire team has the witch gene but only the title character is active

+Quote Post
Trigger
post Feb 18 2007, 04:00 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 10,215

Snow_Fox, I personally like the R.O.D. movie more the tv show, but that is IMO.

Witch Hunter Robin is also an extremely great anime, and also a good SR influence piece.

GitS can be said without any arguement.

For someone awesome Adept and Mystic Adept stuff, as well as beautiful swordplay and it being one of most recommended animes besides Akira, I do recommend Ninja Scroll.

+Quote Post
Perssek
post Feb 18 2007, 05:43 AM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 6,968

Wow, people, thanks! and all in the same day I´ve posted - now that´s quite a Dumpshock! (hehehe)

I´l take a look at the animes and mangas you indicated. Some of them I already seen, like Cowboy Bebop (that certainly has a SR-ish side to it, that I didn´t think of before), Akira (yes, exactly, the go-gangs) and Ninja Scroll (talk about adept initiates!). Or read, like Blame! (SR future?) and Appleseed (only if full cyborgs weren´t all cyberzombies...).

Thank you a LOT.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 18 2007, 12:15 PM
Post #15

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (Perssek)
Or read, like Blame! (SR future?)

Maybe on Earth, maybe in the Future…

~J

+Quote Post
Drraagh
post Feb 18 2007, 04:31 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,631

I think Serial Experiments Lain could fit in here. Yes, it's weird, yes it's a fair bit difficult for some people to understand, but if you're looking for Shadowrun in it, you've got a fair bit of it. Mostly Matrix and Technology stuff, with a nice theme backdrop.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 18 2007, 04:50 PM
Post #17

Manus Celer Dei

And it has a tip of the hat to the Knights, which is always nice to see.

I really like the series, but I haven't reconciled it with Shadowrun yet which is why I didn't mention it.

~J

+Quote Post
Synner
post Feb 19 2007, 09:09 AM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 185

Besides GitS, AD Police (cyberpunk cop spinoff) and Cyber City Oedo 808 (three hardened criminals operating as a suicide squad to shave time off their sentences, bit campy and 80s at time but not bad).

+Quote Post
Turtle
post Feb 19 2007, 12:50 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,072

How about Silent Möbius? You have a group of extraordinary women either modified with cybertech or magically talented, that hunt down spirits from another dimension and their allied mages who try to bridge the gap. The roster is easily transferred to Shadowrun, I think.

+Quote Post
2bit
post Feb 19 2007, 04:13 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,526

Ghost, Robin, and Bebop. In that order.

+Quote Post
HullBreach
post Feb 19 2007, 09:19 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,055

Another Shirow oldie that I would recommend is 'Black Magic M-66'

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Feb 19 2007, 10:05 PM
Post #22

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

I only saw a few episodes of Robin, but my two thoughts were:

1.) Isn't it funny that Robin blows up the wrong guy until she gets a pair of glasses? It's the equivalent of giving someone a M21, telling him to snipe out the hostage taker, kapow, kapow, kapow, and all the hostages have been headshotted. Then someone hands him glasses and he's like, "Crap, wrong dudes."

2.) Why does Robin sleep naked at night but wear a Victorian style getup during the day?

+Quote Post
cristomeyers
post Feb 20 2007, 12:41 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,642

1. They explain why that is and why she needs the glasses, but it's kinda easy to miss.

[ Spoiler ]

Not touching #2, c'mon, she's 14. :P

And Robin isn't the only active Craft user

[ Spoiler ]

So as not to completely de-rail this thread:

Adapting WHR to SR is easy. The quick and dirty way is to have them hunt rogue spirits and other nuisance paracritters. "Need that Naga taken out of your basement, call..."

If you wanted to write up your own setting, it could fit better, but the same could be said for any anime really.

Bebop has a good SR feel, but you're missing pretty much all of the cyber save for replacement limbs. I think there's only one other character with enhancements, but my collection isn't complete so I can't be sure.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Feb 20 2007, 01:07 AM
Post #24

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

QUOTE (cristomeyers)
Bebop has a good SR feel, but you're missing pretty much all of the cyber save for replacement limbs. I think there's only one other character with enhancements, but my collection isn't complete so I can't be sure.

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Feb 20 2007, 02:35 AM
Post #25

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

Bebop comments in spoiler.

[ Spoiler ]

Oh, and my collection is "complete", save for the fact that one of the damn discs is fucked up and won't even read well enough to make a backup copy on my laptop. :( I keep forgetting to try the toothpaste and brasso tricks.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:52 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.