> The Shadowrun Commando Program, FanPro's Demo Team
the_dunner
post Feb 26 2007, 01:33 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

Hey folks,

The Commando program is FanPro's demo team. Members are encouraged to run game sessions of Shadowrun at public locations where anybody who's interested can join in. Examples of places include game shops, conventions, game days, and college game clubs.

Currently, the program has a lot of members interested in running Classic Battletech, but not nearly enough to run Shadowrun. We've received a number of requests to run Shadowrun at conventions or game shops where we just don't have GMs.

So, we'd like to fix that.

Here's how the program works:

-Commandos are required to run a minimum of 3 events annually. An event means a public game session. So, if you go to one con and run 3 game sessions, you've hit your minimum requirements. Games do need to be scheduled in advance through the Commando web site, and you will need to fill in a (very brief) report about the game afterwards.

-In return, Commandos receive complementary products from FanPro and substantial discounts with a number of manufacturers who make products that are associated with FanPro game lines. Compensation is proportionate to the number of games you run annually. Run 3 annually, and you'll be nicely compensated. Run 6, and it'll be nicer.

-Commandos receive Shadowrun Missions scenarios about a month before the public receives them.

-When developers are looking for playtesters, Commandos are the first place that they look. If you're interested in becoming a playtester for Shadowrun, joining the Commando program is a very good way to put yourself on the candidate list.

Application to the program has been simplified. If you'd like to join, hit the Commandohq.com website, and click on the Enroll button. Once you've filled out your information, you should receive a PDF file with some additional paperwork. That spells things out in solid detail. Essentially, applicants need to either mail or fax in that additional paperwork. With that, they need to include a short essay explaining why they'd like to join the program, and either a short scenario or a letter (included in the PDF) signed by their FLGS manager, stating that they'd like to have the applicant run games there.

To get more information about the Commando program or to apply, hit the public web site at www.commandohq.com. Alternatively, drop me a PM, an e-mail, or just a post in this forum and I'll try to do my best to help out.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Feb 26 2007, 02:12 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,737

do the games have to be official FanPro game modules? Because I'm already running four one-shots at my school's con; would that qualify?

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Feb 26 2007, 02:17 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

QUOTE (bibliophile20)
do the games have to be official FanPro game modules?

Nope. The only requirement is that they use the latest version of game system's rules. (So, for Shadowrun - 4th edition.) Of course, since I'm the Missions Coordinator, it makes me happy when folks choose to run Missions. However, it's absolutely NOT a requirement.

Because I'm already running four one-shots at my school's con; would that qualify?

Those would absolutely qualify. :cyber:

+Quote Post
Gnomish Mustard
post Feb 26 2007, 02:21 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 11,056

I would be interested in having this program at my store and my convention.

The convention is coming up soon however, so I am not sure if there is time. I have a pretty solid candidate that runs our game outside of the store.

How long would it take for him to become a commando? The convention is at the end of March, 30th - April 1st. www.Distracticon.com

I am unfamiliar with this missions program. Can you post a link to some literature?

Thanks,
GM

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Feb 26 2007, 02:23 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Awesomeness.

Now my only worry is having enough people sign up for each run to actually run them.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Feb 26 2007, 02:29 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Gnomish Mustard)
How long would it take for him to become a commando? The convention is at the end of March, 30th - April 1st. www.Distracticon.com

From the time that we receive the paperwork, admission to the program can be pretty quick. PM or e-mail me once your candidate submits his paperwork (for fastest return, please fax it rather than mailing it), and I'll see to it that things are expedited to meet the timeframe you've mentioned.

I am unfamiliar with this missions program.  Can you post a link to some literature? 

The Shadowrun Missions campaign is the FanPro's worldwide ongoing campaign for Shadowrun. Full information on the campaign is on the main Shadowrun Web Site. There's also a discussion forum for the campaign right here on dumpshock.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions on the campaign as well, but I'd rather take that discussion over tto the Missions forum instead of threadjacking this one. ;)

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Feb 26 2007, 02:31 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

Just curious, is this only for the US or worldwide?

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Feb 26 2007, 02:32 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

QUOTE (bibliophile20)
Now my only worry is having enough people sign up for each run to actually run them.

As long as you show up and TRY to run the event, it counts towards your membership requirements. We appreciate the effort. :D

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Feb 26 2007, 02:34 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Butterblume)
Just curious, is this only for the US or worldwide?

It's worldwide. Off the top of my head, outside of the US I know we have Commandos in the UK, Italy, Spain, Germany, Canada, and Hungary. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few places.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Feb 26 2007, 02:51 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Ah, good; it's also nice because my con is at the same time as Mustard's, and I was worried about getting the events listed.

Alright, I'll go sign up :)

(I'm just wondering if I qualify as an "expert"; I'm still a little rough around the edges when it comes to GMing...)

+Quote Post
Black Jack Rackh...
post Feb 26 2007, 04:49 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,202

Well speaking as the newest (as of this moment) Commando, I can tell you, you don't have to be an expert. What the players are really interested in is having a good time. If you can do that, the rest is easy.
Mark

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Feb 26 2007, 04:59 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 392

Do you have to be sponsored by a store? I just got the phase 2 stuff and it seems to be the case. I'd be running events at my university club.

+Quote Post
Xenith
post Feb 26 2007, 05:06 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,361

QUOTE (the_dunner @ Feb 26 2007, 08:17 AM)
QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Feb 26 2007, 09:12 AM)
do the games have to be official FanPro game modules?

Nope. The only requirement is that they use the latest version of game system's rules. (So, for Shadowrun - 4th edition.) Of course, since I'm the Missions Coordinator, it makes me happy when folks choose to run Missions. However, it's absolutely NOT a requirement.

Because I'm already running four one-shots at my school's con; would that qualify?

Those would absolutely qualify. :cyber:

Are house rules allowed and does the commando need to report those rules?

Edit: Nevermind. Its explained in the pdf file. No House rules.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Feb 26 2007, 05:45 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Cheops)
Do you have to be sponsored by a store? I just got the phase 2 stuff and it seems to be the case. I'd be running events at my university club.

If you want to use the form letter, then I'm afraid that yes, you'll need to have a store manager sign off on it. If you dont' have a local shop and you're only going to be running events at a public venue that doesn't sell games, then you'd need to submit a short scenario instead of using the form letter.

Are house rules allowed

Hopefully it makes sense to you why they're not. Essentially, as "official" representatives of FanPro, we need to promote the actual product that FanPro is publishing. If we allow house rules, then we're not actually promoting the product that we're selling.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Feb 26 2007, 08:32 PM
Post #15

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

This looks quite good fun. I notice that you don't have any commandos in the UK South West and I haven't been able to keep a group together very well recently due to everyone having too many commitments, so I'm up for this.

I'll need to speak to my local store and see if they'd do this, though.

-K.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Feb 26 2007, 09:23 PM
Post #16

Running Target

QUOTE (the_dunner)
Are house rules allowed

Hopefully it makes sense to you why they're not. Essentially, as "official" representatives of FanPro, we need to promote the actual product that FanPro is publishing. If we allow house rules, then we're not actually promoting the product that we're selling.

But when we're just playing games with our buddies/gaming club/etc, we can use house rules; it's just at the "official" events you can't use house rules--which makes sense, because then everyone's on the same page.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Feb 26 2007, 09:40 PM
Post #17

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...sounds interesting.

If say, I decide on running Missions scenarios at cons, am I responsible for providing the PCs or will there be Pregen character files provided with the particular Mission?

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Feb 26 2007, 09:43 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
If say, I decide on running Missions scenarios at cons, am I responsible for providing the PCs or will there be Pregen character files provided with the particular Mission?

For Missions games, players are supposed to provide their own characters. So, they should either have a starting 400BP character, or they should have a character who has played in previous Missions adventures and has advanced from play in those games. If a player has neither, then they can just use a standard archetype out of the SR4 core rules.

One of the other Commandos created a printer-friendly version of the SR4 archetypes that's freely available for Commando download.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Feb 27 2007, 02:15 AM
Post #19

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...I see part of the aim as also being a means to introduce new people to SR4 (thus broadening Shadowrun's base). To this end, well designed Pregens are the best way to go. Most convention gaming tracks block out a specific amount of time for each game session which precludes generating new characters on the spot. I have worked on convention committees before, and can say that programme scheduling is often very tight and needs to be finalised months in advance for hotel and programme book layout purposes.

Rather than use the sample characters from the BBB I would then go with working up pregen PCs tailored for the particular Mission. Granted, it means more set up work, but I see this as the best way to get new people who haven't played Shadowrun before into what it is all about by allowing them to concentrate more on the run and having fun actually playing the game.

I am still very interested in this project, and will check out the Commando site tonight after I get home from work.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Feb 27 2007, 02:26 AM
Post #20

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
Rather than use the sample characters from the BBB I would then go with working up pregen PCs tailored for the particular Mission.

That's certainly the prerogative of whoever's running the event. If you were running actual Shadowrun Missions Campaign games, they'd need to be 400BP starting characters, but that's a threadjack for the Missions Forum. :)

The logic to using the BBB characters is that new players can look at the shiny pictures in the book and say, "I want that one." ;)

+Quote Post
Trigger
post Feb 27 2007, 02:36 AM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 10,215

I am all up for doing this, I just actually need a hardcopy of the BBB now...I have a PDF copy but I have been waiting for the fourth printing so I can actually get something I can holdin my hands and show to other people.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Feb 27 2007, 03:06 AM
Post #22

Running Target

Ok, I'm ready to sign up--there's just one issue:
Where can I get decent miniatures, much less painted ones, without having to part with arms, legs or firstborn children?

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Feb 27 2007, 03:43 AM
Post #23

Shooting Target

Minis aren't required for Commandos to run Shadowrun. (It's a requirement for Classic Battletech.)

Shadowrun Minis are available from Iron Wind Metals. They're not painted, but they've got the molds for nearly all of the old Ral Partha figures. Iron Wind Metals is also one of the organizations that offers discounts for Commandos in good standing.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Feb 27 2007, 03:44 AM
Post #24

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Trigger)
I am all up for doing this, I just actually need a hardcopy of the BBB now...I have a PDF copy but I have been waiting for the fourth printing so I can actually get something I can holdin my hands and show to other people.

If you're seriously up for it, I'd recommend you go ahead and get your application in now. The 4th Printing should be available soon, and if your application is already in, you won't have to wait for everything to process before you get started.

+Quote Post
Mistwalker
post Feb 27 2007, 06:17 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,304

Out of curiosity,

On the application form, it asks about Classic Battletech, is that to differenciate it from the click based Battletech?
And will it change to Total Warfare Battletech?

As for the photos that are requested, if we fax in the application, can we email the photos to you?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:42 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.