Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hacking a Technomancer, is it doable?
Blog
post Mar 2 2007, 08:23 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,782

Since a Technomancer has all the qualities of a node (system, firewall, signal, etc). Do they effectively act as a node and are therefore hackable?

Now I know it would completly suck for whoever hacked in, the lack of memory to load programs and the possibly quick detection/slaughter by sprites would make this unwise.

But on that side if a TM can act as a node, can they also act as a comm. central for the team? TM subscribed to all the teammates nodes, protecting the systems, keeping communication flowing, etc.

Doable or pipedream?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Mar 2 2007, 08:48 PM
Post #2

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

If they are hackable, I think it would only be possible by other technomancers, as their way of running "programs" isn't the same as what the rest of the Matrix uses.

If I were to make a ruling in my game, my answer would be no. Hacking a node involves getting some form of access, either as root or as a legitimate user, and that means authentication tables, which are stored in some form of storage memory, which a technomancer as a node just plain doesn't have.

Alternatively, if you wanted to run very spiritual and intimate technomancers, you could make it possible, but only on the fly. A sort of "Do you know what it's like when techomancers make love, Commander?" kind of situation. Then hacking attempts would be akin to rape.

As far as comm central is concerned, I don't see why not.

+Quote Post
Ranneko
post Mar 3 2007, 02:30 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,984

TMs act like nodes, thus can be hacked like nodes.

You won't be able to do much in there, not like they are storing any files.

But you could always crash their node. =P

+Quote Post
Magus
post Mar 3 2007, 05:28 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,644

IRC you CANNOT hack a TM. You can only engage them in cybercombat and crash them.

+Quote Post
Ranneko
post Mar 3 2007, 07:30 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

No where I have found in the rules has stated that you cannot hack a TM.

Only thing I have found is that TMs effectively have a commlink with matrix stats determined by their mental stats.

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post Mar 3 2007, 08:09 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,630

QUOTE (Ranneko @ Mar 2 2007, 08:30 PM)
TMs act like nodes, thus can be hacked like nodes.

You won't be able to do much in there, not like they are storing any files.

But you could always crash their node. =P

Hacking a comlink or a node requires you go inside once you get past the firewall. (otherwise you can't do anything other then sit outside the now open firewall)
As a techomancer has no storage capacity you can't enter there living persona only crash it through cybercombat, trace it or otherwise effect it from the "outside"

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Mar 3 2007, 08:14 AM
Post #7

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

Let's say you could "hack" a Technomancer. Then what? You end up having access to a node that you can't do anything in anyway. Kind of pointless.

Take a look at all the matrix actions, and think about how well they work on a node where you cannot load programs.

+Quote Post
Ranneko
post Mar 3 2007, 08:36 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

So, the programs you are using are loaded on your commlink.

You can use it as access to their gear, to where they have been holding all their files.

And if something acts like a commlink and can interface with it, you can interface with it like it is a commlink, it works 2 ways.

Some operations will not work, you won't be able to browse through for files, because there won't be any. But you will be able to connect to what it is connected to, which is more important.

+Quote Post
Wasabi
post Mar 3 2007, 01:23 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 6,651

It says a TM can use standard hacking programs with a separate skill, right? That implies their head can run standard programs. You couldnt spoof a CF as a hacker I don't guess, but you could get in there and crash the node forcing his living persona to reboot which takes much longer than 1 combat.

TM's are usually so stat heavy into Willpower and Logic their Response from Intuition is not 6, so a hacker can actually tool a TM on his home turf in cybercombat. Its the darn sprites that make it tough to win the fight...

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Mar 3 2007, 07:46 PM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

QUOTE (Wasabi)
It says a TM can use standard hacking programs with a separate skill, right? That implies their head can run standard programs. You couldnt spoof a CF as a hacker I don't guess, but you could get in there and crash the node forcing his living persona to reboot which takes much longer than 1 combat.

TM's are usually so stat heavy into Willpower and Logic their Response from Intuition is not 6, so a hacker can actually tool a TM on his home turf in cybercombat. Its the darn sprites that make it tough to win the fight...

Actually, that particular area is referring to Technomancers being able to hack using commlinks instead of their natural abilities. It has nothing to do with them being able to use their abilities to run normal programs without a comm.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Mar 3 2007, 08:39 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (Wasabi)

the TM's response would be the same regardless of where they battle. why would the fact that it's in the TM's living persona be relevant?

and, incidentally, i assume this is dependant upon the TM not having either a high rating fault sprite or good cybercombat CFs (for the record, cybercombat happens to be one of those areas where the TM can brutally crush things by virtue of the fact that higher rating programs makes so much more of a difference... specifically, a TM with attack threaded to 10 is doing 9 matrix damage + net hits...)

+Quote Post
Wasabi
post Mar 5 2007, 02:12 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 6,651

Excellent points.... both of you are spot-on.
My bad!

+Quote Post
Blog
post Mar 5 2007, 10:28 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,782

Hmm ok seems doable.

Though from the TM's standpoint.
Hacker hacks in.
Hacker fumbles around trying to figure out why he cant load programs (for example no stealth)
TM notices
TM summons/calls a fault sprite
TM Threads Black Hammer
TM + sprite assault hacker
One screwed hacker

^.^

One thing i'm thinking of trying to do with my TM is to make 'honeypots' to distract wandering hackers. You know the good old low system comlinks with some moderate security and 'opps' i forgot to take it off public while doing the run.

+Quote Post
Ranneko
post Mar 5 2007, 11:28 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Once again, a hacker loads programs on his OWN commlink.

Not on the system. This is why if they load too many response degrades.

You could rule against him being able to shift an agent onto the TMs node, but you can't stop him from running stealth and the like.

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post Mar 6 2007, 01:19 AM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 8,445

One question for any of you. How is a Hacker going to get into a TM's brain without a Resonance signature of some kind?

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Mar 6 2007, 02:52 AM
Post #16

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Konsaki)
One question for any of you. How is a Hacker going to get into a TM's brain without a Resonance signature of some kind?

presumably in the opposite manner of a TM hacking into a commlink using a resonance signature instead of a normal one.

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post Mar 6 2007, 03:04 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,630

QUOTE (Blog)
Hmm ok seems doable.

Though from the TM's standpoint.
Hacker hacks in.
Hacker fumbles around trying to figure out why he cant load programs (for example no stealth)
TM notices
TM summons/calls a fault sprite
TM Threads Black Hammer
TM + sprite assault hacker
One screwed hacker

^.^

One thing i'm thinking of trying to do with my TM is to make 'honeypots' to distract wandering hackers. You know the good old low system comlinks with some moderate security and 'opps' i forgot to take it off public while doing the run.

What about hacker realizes there isn't room on the node to load in persona. (which has to be on the node to access it)

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Mar 6 2007, 03:20 AM
Post #18

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

I don't know, personally since Technomancer Sprites can encrypt data in such a way that no-one else can ever hope to break, I'm not so sure that a Technomancer's brain should be treated as merely another Node that can be hacked, especially since unless I'm mistaken everything except a Techno's System rating is directly related to Cybercombat.

What I'm interested to know is what happens if you run a Trace on a Techno, since they don't really have a true 'comm-code'. But then again maybe that has been answered and I just missed it as Technos although cool, tend to make my head hurt... *winks*

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post Mar 6 2007, 09:19 AM
Post #19

Runner

Member No.: 8,445

QUOTE (Jaid)
QUOTE (Konsaki @ Mar 5 2007, 08:19 PM)

presumably in the opposite manner of a TM hacking into a commlink using a resonance signature instead of a normal one.

Sorry, Jaid, I dont follow.
A TM can perform any action that a Hacker can; except a TM can not store data in their brain.
A Hacker can perform any action that a TM can; except use resonance skills due to no link with the resonance.

With no Resonance link, the Hacker doesnt have a resonance signature which is something that cannot be spoofed. Without that, the hacker has no chance of hacking into the TM's brain, since the TM can deny any attempt that does not contain a resonance signature.
This is also a reason why a hacker cannot spoof a command to a sprite.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Mar 7 2007, 12:45 AM
Post #20

Great Dragon

where does it say you need a resonance signature to be able to hack into a TM's brain?

sure, they can't use resonance skills. they have no resonance. but unless they are trying to compile a sprite or thread a CF or something like that, that's irrelevant. the TM's living node has matrix attributes. you treat their 'living node' the same way as a normal node, because no other way to treat their living node is given.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Mar 7 2007, 12:49 AM
Post #21

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (Magus)
IRC you CANNOT hack a TM. You can only engage them in cybercombat and crash them.

...I don't know...

KK4.3 could do a pretty good job of hacking a TM with her Katana.

+Quote Post
Ranneko
post Mar 7 2007, 04:29 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Can anyone point out anywhere where it says you cannot hack a TM?

As far as I can see, they get treated as a commlink with stats determined by their mental (and special) stats, and no permanent internal storage.

The only other exceptions for normal matrix rules than I can recall noted (I am writing this at work, so no book) are: Sprites cannot be spoofed without resonance, TMs take matrix damage as stun damage.

I cannot recall anything mentioned of their inability to be hacked, or even that they didn't need to do the spoofing of their datatrail.

EDIT: Basically, if something says you act like a commlink with the following exceptions, and that list of exceptions does not include an invulnerability to being hacked by non-TMs, then you would, by the rules, act like a commlink for the purposes of being hacked.

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Mar 7 2007, 06:30 AM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

There are no game rules preventing you from hacking a technomancer, but theres not a whole lot you can do there. Since a technomancers brain doesn't contain any programs and information usable to a non technomancer it's more or less just a road block to any other hidden devices that may be slaved to them. You could crash the technomancers node though, which would be kinda pointless(they can just reboot themselves) and make them very very very mad.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Mar 7 2007, 07:04 AM
Post #24

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (The OOB)
You could crash the technomancers node though, which would be kinda pointless(they can just reboot themselves) and make them very very very mad.

...Yeah, but Violet has several extra IPs in the meat world, can go into hidden mode, and has a big gun with nasty ammo now.

+Quote Post
iron_ic
post Mar 7 2007, 02:49 PM
Post #25

Target

Member No.: 8,628

To sum up what has been said ruleswise so far:
* There is nothing that prevents a hacker hacking a TM.
* The hacker could not do a lot as there is no data stored in the node. Maybe he could crash the node thus forcing the TM to reboot.

Personally, I wouldn't forbid it. It's just too cool to imagine TMs having a node they can design in VR. [Many possibilities for RP + no practical use => good idea.]

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 09:42 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.