> Stun Weapons
Prime Mover
post Mar 10 2007, 04:14 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 9,313

Ok heres recent question that came up.

Example: Taser or Stun Baton, is damage done both stun and electrical or merely electrical with stun damage code being used for the duration of paralysis.

I personally have gone with both, but argument given to me is once initial shock wears off target is sore at worst.

So my argument is one hit makes you sore multiple hits should wear ya down?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Mar 10 2007, 07:09 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 9,313

After rereading Electricity damage on pg. 154 seems like, was right first time stun + incapacitate both in effect.

+Quote Post
djinni
post Mar 10 2007, 08:32 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,934

the real question is...
if you smack a vehicle with it does the vehicle have a chance of shutting down?
whatabout the cyberware or commlink of the guy you just hit....

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Mar 10 2007, 10:17 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (djinni)
the real question is...
if you smack a vehicle with it does the vehicle have a chance of shutting down?
whatabout the cyberware or commlink of the guy you just hit....

actually, i seem to recall the answer being pretty explicitly yes.

of course, stun damage does nothing to objects, but it can still cause the vehicle/drone/commlink/whatever to short out for a few rounds. mind you, this gets increasingly unlikely the larger the vehicle is... around body 9 it gets to the vehicle having a decent chance to just shake it off, and around body 12 it can happen consistently, at GM's discretion (ie, body 12 you can buy 3 hits, 3 hits negates the extra effect)

anyways, in case there is any doubt in your mind prime mover, you deal stun + electrical effect.

+Quote Post
djinni
post Mar 11 2007, 04:18 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

QUOTE (Jaid)
actually, i seem to recall the answer being pretty explicitly yes.

I was pointing it out so that he'd look it up and there would be no question...
had to argue with my GM on it until he read it.

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Mar 11 2007, 07:19 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

If you don't take damage from an elemental you effect you don't suffer it's secondary effects, hence since a stun weapon doesn't damage a tech object, it won't disable it.

However, if you have physical electric damage, such as the lightning bolt spell, you can do quite well vs machines.

+Quote Post
Mistwalker
post Mar 11 2007, 07:59 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,304

Some how, I think that if you take a taser, touch a computer, and activate it, you will fry or seriously hurt the computer.

Not sure if it would do anything to a car.

Anyone with real world experience with taser?

+Quote Post
Gamble
post Mar 11 2007, 08:03 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 7,941

Having been tased before, it's not a fun experience. As for being able to take a taser and try to move, that's just not going to happen. Either that or you're not going to go very far or do much besides fall to the ground and twitch. Only thing that kept me up were two people holding me up.

+Quote Post
Mistwalker
post Mar 11 2007, 08:59 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,304

Thanks Gamble

I was hoping for someone who uses them, who might know of shots that hit computers, cars, etc.., and what happened to the gear after it got tazered.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Mar 11 2007, 09:53 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (Mistwalker)
Some how, I think that if you take a taser, touch a computer, and activate it, you will fry or seriously hurt the computer.

Probably not. The chassis of a computer is grounded and the system is designed to handle very large static discharges without any effect. Cars are also able to handle static discharges without any effect.

When you shoot a taser into the demo aluminum foil target the effect is pretty cool, but the metal of computers and cars is a lot thicker. A taser uses what are basically small straightened fishooks to deliver the electrical damage, so I wouldn't expect it to adhere to a car or computer. Given the low power of the propelling charge I doubt that it's going to do anything other then bounce off the metal of a computer or vehicle chassis. It might chip the paint, but it's not going to do much else.

And if the chassis is plastic (an insulator) you're going to have absolutely no effect.

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Mar 11 2007, 10:14 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

Non-leathal weapons are designed to take down humans as quick as possible with as little chance of collateral damage as possible. It's not that you can't make a gun to fry electronics with electricity, it's that there is no gun like that in SR4 at the moment.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Mar 11 2007, 02:09 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (TheOOB)
If you don't take damage from an elemental you effect you don't suffer it's secondary effects, hence since a stun weapon doesn't damage a tech object, it won't disable it.

However, if you have physical electric damage, such as the lightning bolt spell, you can do quite well vs machines.

QUOTE (TheOOB)
Non-leathal weapons are designed to take down humans as quick as possible with as little chance of collateral damage as possible. It's not that you can't make a gun to fry electronics with electricity, it's that there is no gun like that in SR4 at the moment.

you're sure about that?

QUOTE (SR4 @ pg 154 "electricity damage")
Electronic equipment, vehicles, and drones can also be
aff ected by Electricity damage. Th ey never suff er Stun damage,
but they do roll Body + Armor (drones and vehicles) or
Armor x 2 (other objects) to resist secondary eff ects.

it then goes on to define what the secondary effects are. now, if you're talking real life, then maybe you have a point, but as far as SR4 is concerned, you can render vehicles and other electronic devices inoperable with electricity damage, including tasers. i would assume that traditional tasers probably fire sticky darts rather than pointy ones in shadowrun, since no mention is made of not sticking to any type of target.

+Quote Post
pestulens
post Mar 11 2007, 05:34 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 11,022

QUOTE (TheOOB)

well actually, virtually every gun in sr4 is like that. with the exeption of a few witch can only load flechett rounds. There is a amo tipe cauld Stick-n-Shock witch is almost exactly what you describe.

+Quote Post
djinni
post Mar 12 2007, 02:41 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (TheOOB)

you know just off the top of my head a bean bag round fired from a shotgun if you miss...it obliterates things.

computers are not designed to handle an electrical discharge from an outside source, if you are inside one and just happen to touch the wrong place and zapped it you have a good chance of frying it. a taser is bad for a PC
cars, unless you have an open shot into the engine compartment you aren't doing anything to it...
but that's real life not the game...

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Mar 12 2007, 05:03 AM
Post #15

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

From the FAQ

"If you punch someone with shock gloves, do you inflict standard punching damage (STR/2) in addition to the glove's 6S DV? If you have gloves on both hands, can you attack with both and do 12S DV?

No, it's one or the other. You can choose to punch/kick/whatever and do regular unarmed damage, or you can choose to touch/punch and zap with the shock gloves, doing *only* the shock glove damage (not the unarmed damage too). Even with two gloves, the damage is still just 6S DV.

The upcoming Arsenal rulebook may feature rules for two-weapon melee. "

Stick n Shock does 6(e) damage.

Despite what we know about today's electronics devices, in SR4 stun batons, shock gloves, and stick n shock can effect vehicles equipment and drones.

Of course, you can always buy non conductive armor.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:46 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.