IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lifestyles of the rich and criminal..., The home of a Yakuza higher-up.
bibliophile20
post Mar 12 2007, 08:04 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,737

Alright, I need some help here:
I'm putting together a run where, if the runners mess up enough, they're going to have to rescue someone from the home of a senior Yakuza--not the Oyabun, but one of his inner circle.

Any suggestions on:
A) Where his home would be in Seattle? (Downtown, Renton, Bellevue, etc...)
B) How big?
C) What kind of security and how much of it?
D) Anything else.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cristomeyers
post Mar 12 2007, 08:13 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,642

Let's see...Downtown would make for an interesting penthouse in some areas, but the higher end neighborhoods would make for a full on compound. Either way, probably nothing below a AA rated neighborhood.

Size would depend greatly on location. Like I said before, you could get a full on mansion in some neighborhoods but be limited to a penthouse suite in others.

A man that high in the Yakuza is bound to have at least one trusted bodyguard, probably more. These guys would be a few notches above your average goon.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Mar 12 2007, 09:33 PM
Post #3

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

You could also go with the more isolated ares, maybe Snohomish, or a good spot of land in Bellevue. Put up those stylish tiled walls around the out side, koi pond with bridge, rock garden the works. Then have all the "traditional japanese landscaping" conceal security measures such as minidrones, pup up turrets, motion sensors , pressure pads, and neat things like nightingale floors. Depends on just how bad ass an oyabun and how difficult you want it to be.

+Quote Post
Chance359
post Mar 12 2007, 10:38 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 313

1) Bellevue, probably an AA neighborhood with several other Yakuza members living near by.

2) A two story /w finished basement, 5 or 6 bedrooms, and an attached 3 car garage should be pretty good. More or less rooms depending on the size of his family, with one bedroom turned into a home office.

3) Panic buttons in each room, alarms on the doors and windows, cameras disqused as sculputres, astral bacteria in false walls around the office, neighborhood security that patrols by the house every hour at random times, maybe even a few yakuza members who stay in a spare bedroom/monitering station.

+Quote Post
imperialus
post Mar 13 2007, 12:21 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 769

I doubt he'd get a compound or too much crazy high tech stuff to himself. Stuff like that would probably be limited to the Oyuban.

Assuming he is a family man who doesn't need to live too close to his work my thoughts are:

A stylish house in a nice neighborhood. Sitting at the upper end of the high lifestyle, probably around 8000 sq feet, on a lot that still gives him a decent garden possibly with a small 1000 sq footish "guest" house that is inhabited by his personal body guard. The gated community has an armed security force that will respond in 5 minutes or less if a panic button is hit by anyone in the house.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Mar 13 2007, 12:39 AM
Post #6

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

I agree with imperialus with the addition of wards around the house and additional Astral Security built into his 'office'. (Or maybe the other way around, Dual Plants, ect around the house and a decent warding in the office.)

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Mar 13 2007, 01:25 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Hmmm... sounds a little overkill for what I need. Still... perhaps...

This is a run for very low level characters--less than 20 Karma; they need to rescue someone and if they screw up or wait too long, that someone is going to be taken away by the Yakuza in question.

I'll have to think on this. Thanks!

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Mar 13 2007, 02:18 AM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Just watch Showdown In Little Tokyo. Dolph Lundgren's hideout is what the yakuza oyabun's house would look like. See also Mr. Miyagi's house in The Karate Kid 1.

There's no other way you can be sufficiently 80s sterotypical for the purpose of SR.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Mar 13 2007, 02:19 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Mar 12 2007, 04:33 PM)
You could also go with the more isolated ares, maybe Snohomish, or a good spot of land in Bellevue. Put up those stylish tiled walls around the out side, koi pond with bridge, rock garden the works. Then have all the "traditional japanese landscaping" conceal security measures such as minidrones, pup up turrets, motion sensors , pressure pads, and neat things like nightingale floors. Depends on just how bad ass an oyabun and how difficult you want it to be.

The fister has caught t3h corr3ct.

As Hitman 2 demonstrated, nightengale floors are mandatory. Not necessarily because they're even a very good security measure in this day and age, but just because they have historical precedent.

And remember...there must be ninjas.

A variety of ninjas with varying power levels make for a gleeful garden combat romp.

There can even be heroic named NPC ninjas who strike by surprise.

+Quote Post
Anythingforenoug...
post Mar 17 2007, 06:19 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,054

It does not need to be a big deal in the game, but I would guess that the Yak Big Cheese would do the same thing as The Godfather-own every house on the street and put loyal people in those houses. Given the tech in Shadowrun that would be the only way to make sure that you are not under constant surveillance and subject to a sniper or a mortar type of attack-all of of which would be deadly accurate in the sixth world, and at great range (and the Yak Big Cheese would be the type who would have enemies who would pay someone, (i.e. Shadowrunners) who could put something like that together).

As I said, this does not need to be a big deal, I only bring it up because the players should not be able to easily set up in a near by house or adjacent apartment and use that as a staging area.

Sounds Like Someone Is About To Have A Cool Run,
AFE :nuyen:

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Apr 7 2007, 05:53 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Okay, here's what I came up with: (and if anyone here is attending UBCon next week, either don't read this or don't play the "Puppet Desires Strings Cut" module that I'm running)
[ Spoiler ]

So, any comments, suggested alterations, etc? I actually didn't get to send the runners here when I ran the module last Saturday--only two people showed up and they managed to beat the clock, so to speak.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Apr 8 2007, 07:41 AM
Post #12

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

I'm always looking for a good module, is there anyway one could get a copy, perhaps after the con?

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Apr 9 2007, 02:36 AM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Hmm. Is Hotaka going to be enough to stop a party of runners? You might want to give him some friends or else beef his stats.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Apr 9 2007, 02:53 AM
Post #14

Running Target

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Hmm. Is Hotaka going to be enough to stop a party of runners? You might want to give him some friends or else beef his stats.

He'll have two slightly-higher-than-normal Yaks for backup, but Hotaka is designed not as a bullet sponge, but as a guy that avoids being hit--he rolls 15+ dice for evading attacks!

Additionally, this module is intended for con/beginning-runner use--not for a campaign of any length, so up against 4-5 runners that are still at the <20 karma stage? I think he's good.

Still... I may give him another initiate grade and bump up his magic to 8 and give him another two levels of combat sense, if you think that it's necessary.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Apr 9 2007, 04:21 AM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Personally I think it's better to err on the side of challenging a team than on the side of coddling them. I think that holds especially true when you're talking about a team who can approach and attack in any way they want versus one melee dude who is restricted to specifically guarding a target and whose role is fundamentally reactive.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Apr 9 2007, 04:44 AM
Post #16

Running Target

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Apr 9 2007, 12:21 AM)
Personally I think it's better to err on the side of challenging a team than on the side of coddling them.  I think that holds especially true when you're talking about a team who can approach and attack in any way they want versus one melee dude who is restricted to specifically guarding a target and whose role is fundamentally reactive.

Okay, I see your point. So, how does this version of Hotaka look?

[ Spoiler ]

*looks at changes made*
:eek:
Now I think that he might just slaughter all of them! Perhaps I went a little overboard!

+Quote Post
knasser
post Apr 9 2007, 09:06 AM
Post #17

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Apr 7 2007, 05:53 PM)
Okay, here's what I came up with: (and if anyone here is attending UBCon next week, either don't read this or don't play the "Puppet Desires Strings Cut" module that I'm running)
[ Spoiler ]

So, any comments, suggested alterations, etc?  I actually didn't get to send the runners here when I ran the module last Saturday--only two people showed up and they managed to beat the clock, so to speak.

That's a very good idea for a run. Is there any chance of you tidying it up into a form that other people use? I did that with an adventure of mine and put the PDF on my website. This sounds a lot of fun. You should do the same so we can all get copies. :)

(Feeling cheeky)

-K.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:34 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.