IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What slang do you use?, Removal of SR3 slang
How much SR3 slang do you still use?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 96
Guests cannot vote 
Cheops
post Mar 15 2007, 09:12 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 392

Personally I have adopted the SR4 use of real swear words but have kept the old SR3 terms like Chummer and Omae. For characters who were established before the crash I'll still have them use some of the old slang (like Decker) because they're used to it. I've even had high-grade initiates drop the Name-Giver bomb.

Anyway, just interested.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fezig
post Mar 15 2007, 09:24 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,168

Personally, I use a good combination of both. Frag and chummer stick out from my fun with the old genesis game, and that is also a good part of the reason I laps into saying Decker from time to time. I however also use the SR4 lingo as well as current modern lingo. For me things can be both wicked awesome and wiz and someone can be just another dude or just some omae. IMHO its sorta like even though I was born in the 80's things can still be groovy and my lack of involvement in the hair metal or much of the 80's scene still lets me use rad, awesome, righteous, wicked, sick, tubular, and far out. Slang is slang, and as long as others understand it then it works.

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Mar 15 2007, 09:41 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

You can have my Hoi, Chummer when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Mar 15 2007, 10:42 PM
Post #4

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

QUOTE (lorechaser)
You can have my Hoi, Chummer when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

*BLAM! BLAM!*

*pry.*

*runs off into the night.*

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Mar 15 2007, 10:59 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

*walking by*

"Oooo, dead body."

*looks around, removes docwagon bracelet and takes wallet/watch/etc...*

*drags body off to organ legger*

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Mar 16 2007, 01:10 AM
Post #6

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Well in my games, a 'Hacker' might be someone who uses a combat axe and a Decker is who you hire to slice some IC.

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Mar 16 2007, 01:44 AM
Post #7

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

*hits the matrix and steals lorechaser's SIN, credit cards, and the rest of his identity and financial holdings*

+Quote Post
Fezig
post Mar 16 2007, 02:02 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

And that chummers, is why you never pass out in the barrens. You'll get fragged and robbed in ways you never realized were possible :P

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Mar 16 2007, 02:24 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

when discussing on dumpshock, i usually don't use the old slang. about the only new "slang" i use is hacker, and that's just for the purpose of discussion. i much prefer the old slang, personally.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Mar 16 2007, 02:40 AM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

QUOTE (Fezig)
And that chummers, is why you never pass out in the barrens. You'll get fragged and robbed in ways you never realized were possible :P

At least I didn't mention about renting the body out first for the goth/necrophiliac group for a short time before taking it to the organ leggers... and then selling the body to the ghouls...

There, now your statement is appropriate since it covers all possible meanings. :-P

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post Mar 16 2007, 02:45 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,301

Personally, I always thought most of the old slang was a bit ridiculous. I mean, decker made sense, what with cyberdecks and all, but 'drek'? The only person I've ever actually heard use the word 'drek' was a middle-aged Jewish lawyer. It just doesn't work to me. I always figured it was just some kind of ridiculous self-censorship. God forbid the readers (who are not likely to be kids anyway) should glimpse the words shit or fuck. I just figure that the classics never go away. Fuck is a damn fine cuss word. And i can never call something "wiz" with a straight face. I just can't do it.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Mar 16 2007, 02:58 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

QUOTE (Eryk the Red)
Personally, I always thought most of the old slang was a bit ridiculous. I mean, decker made sense, what with cyberdecks and all, but 'drek'? The only person I've ever actually heard use the word 'drek' was a middle-aged Jewish lawyer. It just doesn't work to me. I always figured it was just some kind of ridiculous self-censorship. God forbid the readers (who are not likely to be kids anyway) should glimpse the words shit or fuck. I just figure that the classics never go away. Fuck is a damn fine cuss word. And i can never call something "wiz" with a straight face. I just can't do it.

I hear "drek" all the time. Of course the fact that I'm Jewish might have something to do with that... :)

But I don't mind having some variety of curse words; using the same "classic" few can get *very* monotonous.

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post Mar 16 2007, 03:43 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,301

My game runs not unlike reality, in that the way you talk is a reflection of you, your upbringing, etc. A humorous result of that (to me) is that old Shadowrun slang exists. But it is outdated, used by "old" folks who can't keep up with the times. It gets you snickered at, because culture has continued to evolve, and it left those words behind.

So yeah, there is definitely variety in the way people speak. But "frag" will never take the place of "fuck". It just doesn't have the impact.

+Quote Post
Catharz Godfoot
post Mar 16 2007, 03:53 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,493

QUOTE (Eryk the Red)
So yeah, there is definitely variety in the way people speak. But "frag" will never take the place of "fuck". It just doesn't have the impact.

"I'm going to frag you" and "I'm going to fuck you" certainly have different connotations.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Mar 16 2007, 03:57 AM
Post #15

Running Target

QUOTE (Catharz Godfoot)
QUOTE (Eryk the Red @ Mar 15 2007, 10:43 PM)

"I'm going to frag you" and "I'm going to fuck you" certainly have different connotations.

Indeed; the object of the epitaph would probably prefer the second option over the first.

+Quote Post
Catharz Godfoot
post Mar 16 2007, 04:04 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,493

QUOTE (bibliophile20)
QUOTE (Catharz Godfoot @ Mar 15 2007, 11:53 PM)

Indeed; the object of the epitaph would probably prefer the second option over the first.

Thanks for the compliment :D

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Mar 16 2007, 05:59 AM
Post #17

Running Target

QUOTE (Catharz Godfoot)
QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Mar 15 2007, 10:57 PM)
QUOTE (Catharz Godfoot @ Mar 15 2007, 11:53 PM)

Thanks for the compliment :D

well it's true; most people would prefer getting laid to having a live grenade laid on their lap when they're sleeping.

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Mar 16 2007, 07:51 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,687

Our group is mixed to the point that frag and fuck routinely appear in the same conversation, used by the same character. This is largely due to the fact that myself and one other member of the group came in with old school SR, and the rest are newbies. We tried to hammer into the newbies that frag, drek, etc were the "proper" ways to swear in SR, then SR4 comes along and frags everything up.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 16 2007, 08:09 AM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i've never been able to bring myself to use frag, chummer, hoop, or even hoi. here's how i look at it: if i were playing a roleplaying game set in ancient Rome, my character might speak Latin and Greek, but i'd play him in English. in order to impart the desired emotional loading to my 206x character's words, i use 200x slang and assume that there's some OOC-to-IC translation taking place.

+Quote Post
Deva
post Mar 16 2007, 12:43 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,432

Sadly, I really can't use SR slangs as I don't play the game in english. As many knows translating something to other language many times ruins the original meaning of the word. Although I use some japanese, french, germanese, spanish and (of course) english words in my phrases but they don't usually are any of the SR slang words.

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Mar 16 2007, 02:54 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

For me, the slang is a mindset. It's a quick touchstone to say "This isn't modern day." It also makes a nice way for a person that is nervous about rp to get in to it - they can simply pepper their speech with SRisms, and get more comfortable.

Of course, when we play fantasy games, I hit people that try to use Thee and Thou, so I'm kinda mixed up inside.

+Quote Post
Fezig
post Mar 17 2007, 12:56 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

I just find it fun to use some of the old slang to keep the feel. To me I suppose it is as much a part of the setting as the company names like Ares and NeoNet. It just helps establish that right roleplay feel for me, but all in all I think its entirely a matter of personal opinion.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Mar 18 2007, 03:17 AM
Post #23

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

I use the old slang. This isn't CP3.0, it's Shadowrun. Shadowrun shouldn't sound like a hip-hop artist or the WinXP users manual.

+Quote Post
apollo124
post Mar 18 2007, 03:47 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,246

I think I used the old SR slang more than any of the other guys in our group ever did. Just an occasional word here and there to spice things up a bit. As far as I know, no one ever got lost in translation with the "chummer" and such. But we didn't play it like robots just spouting the slang section of the BBB. If a real or made-up cuss word ended up in the conversation, it was just taken in stride, as long as everyone had an idea what had just been said.

+Quote Post
Voran
post Mar 18 2007, 08:18 AM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

Heh, I like using the older slang in real life. Occasionally I'll run into someone who gets my reference, usually not.

In game my chars would likely use it as well, as its almost second nature to me at this point. To be fair though, I'm not fully versed in the old style lingo, I sorta use specific ones, or come up with my own meld.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:37 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.