IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [RL] gold bar in an open safe, they were just asking for it.
PBTHHHHT
post Mar 18 2007, 06:20 PM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,327

Thieves take a gold bar from an open safe in a museum.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Mar 18 2007, 06:27 PM
Post #2

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...talk about a milk run.

...maybe soy milk run at that.

Of course if these boobs don't have the equipment to properly melt and recast the massive ingot into smaller more marketable sizes, they will have a real fun time fencing it.

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post Mar 18 2007, 06:56 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,630

I wouldn't put getting a hold of the right equipment to melt down gold past them just yet. The thing is worth almost 2 million dollars.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Mar 18 2007, 07:08 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

Not to mention you could break it apart with chisels and hammer it into any shape you desire. Gold is rather soft.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Mar 18 2007, 07:27 PM
Post #5

Bushido Cowgirl

...still, gold hits the streets shortly after the job. This would definitely arouse a bit of suspicion, not only from the police either.

I were a fence, I would be just a bit wary with all the publicity surrounding the heist.

...and who knows who this Nakahagi guy is?

Tried to find other sources on this story for more details. but search fu dead ends when everything is in Kanji.

+Quote Post
StealthBanana
post Mar 18 2007, 08:14 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 3,840

Link the sources? I can probably puzzle the kanji out.

+Quote Post
Teulisch
post Mar 18 2007, 08:22 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,965

THINK man!

if the owner of the gold was mr johnson, he then gets the insurance money, AND he gets a block of gold he then melts down into smaller bars... some to pay the theives. easy fraud scenario, storing that much gold in one spot.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Mar 18 2007, 08:51 PM
Post #8

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (Teulisch)
THINK man!

if the owner of the gold was mr johnson, he then gets the insurance money, AND he gets a block of gold he then melts down into smaller bars... some to pay the theives. easy fraud scenario, storing that much gold in one spot.

Quick! What is the name of the insurance company that went for insuring a hunk of gold put out "so people could touch it". I wanna find out what else they are insuring.

+Quote Post
Fezig
post Mar 19 2007, 12:51 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,168

Haha, good point. How do you get away with including "huge ass chunk of gold out in the open" in your list of assets insured. Seems like Farmers would be hesitant at the least. I think even the e-surance chick would tell you where to stick it on that one :P

+Quote Post
Meriss
post Mar 19 2007, 02:18 AM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 11,025

They didn't *rereads news story* Yup they did. How many folks wanna gues this is one of those Yakuza soy milk runs? :nuyen: Just one more example of Mind boggling Japanese happenings.

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post Mar 19 2007, 04:57 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,630

Well if anyone in Japan can launder a 198,482,195 Yen bar its the Yakuza.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Mar 19 2007, 05:41 PM
Post #12

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

I really don't understand how they got away with it. It's 100 kilograms of gold, inside a cubby hole, and under 24 hour observation.

Let's say you did itthe fast way: you and two friends have two titanium prybars and a thick plastic tarp. You have two people with prybars raise the bar from each corner and have the third slide the tarp down to the far edge of the bar. Then you let the gold down and have all three members of the team pull together and quick drag the gold bar into the open. Then you unfold the bottom of the tarp and wrap the gold bar like an egg roll.

Now you've got yourself a quandary. The bar itself masses in as much as 1.5 Nippon men. So it's actually well within the possibility of a man to carry by mass alone. And the bar is only about 5 liters so it could easily fit into a backpack that in turn could fit into a pocket well folded. That's somewhat discreet, but it may tear your bag and it is also going to slow down your primary lifter something fierce. Your other option is to split the mass between two people and have them carry it like a palanquin between them. Even with the leverage neither team member is going to be faced with more than 60 kg, so if they are all stong guys this should be no problem. Heck, on straightaways the thrid man can hold the tarp up in the middle. You can make good time that way, but of course you completely don't look like you're doing anything legitimate.

In any case, you've just made a couple of metal-on-metal crashing sounds and you're on 24 hour candid camera anyway, so you have to assume that they know you're up to something. And you have to sneak or run downstairs and past an armed guard. Seriously, what the hell?

My supposition is that the guard was either intimidated by the third man holding out a gun, or straight up paid off with say... a 10,000,0000 yen bribe. Once that guard has been bypassed by either of those means it's a sprint to the car and out you go.

But seriously, that's a more difficult job than most jewelry store robberies. A jewelry store just has bars and such on the windows - nothing you can't go through with a thermite line or a hydraulic cutter on the locks. Just the fact that you had to go up and then down a flight of stairs past personel while being watched on camera makes it much harder than the vast majority of smash and grabs.

-Frank

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Mar 19 2007, 05:48 PM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

Most smash and grabs are done in daylight too, who needs to break in to the store when you can just go in during store hours and smash the glass, grab the goods, and be gone. People won't even try to stop you.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Mar 19 2007, 06:10 PM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

And the payoff for this grab is close to 2 millions, a much larger return for one item... (though heavy).

+Quote Post
2bit
post Mar 19 2007, 07:19 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,526

I'm pretty sure they make machines that can handle this sort of thing.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Mar 19 2007, 07:51 PM
Post #16

Bushido Cowgirl

QUOTE (2bit)
I'm pretty sure they make machines that can handle this sort of thing.

...Hurricane Hannah has one of those in the back of her pickup.

+Quote Post
Spike
post Mar 19 2007, 09:40 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,765

And on a completely unrelated note...

... I expect I'll be taking a little vacation to the bahamas for a while. ;)

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post May 30 2007, 02:12 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Not just gold bars that goes missing in Japan. How about gold bathtubs?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070530/ap_on_...gold_tub_stolen

+Quote Post
Demon_Bob
post May 31 2007, 12:13 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,226

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Mar 18 2007, 02:51 PM)
QUOTE (Teulisch @ Mar 18 2007, 08:22 PM)
THINK man!

Quick! What is the name of the insurance company that went for insuring a hunk of gold put out "so people could touch it". I wanna find out what else they are insuring.

I want to know if they will insure some of my stuff. For a couple of months.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:00 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.