Reply to this topicStart new topic
> DV of Bows
Grinder
post Mar 19 2007, 02:29 PM
Post #1

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

A bow has a DV of (STR+2), while throwing and melee weapons are based on STR/2. Thus, the bow becomes very powerful, especially above a STR of 6 (like sammies and one trick ponies have). The drawback is that a bow can be fired only once per IP, due to needing a complex action. But duing the game, we found a bow to be very strong, mabe a little too much and the question arose: was it intenional to give bows the high DV or is this a need a for an errata?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cristomeyers
post Mar 19 2007, 02:36 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,642

I can't see why bows would be overpowered. The more pull on the bow, the stronger you have to be to use it and also it's going to launch a more powerful projectile. Hence, STR Min +2

It's melee weapons being based off of Str/2 that I think is a little wierd, as it's based entirely off of your strength (as opposed to the pull of the bow).

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Mar 19 2007, 02:42 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

Didn't Rambo take out a heliopter with a compound bow in one of those movies? I can't say I saw it, but I remember the trailer.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Mar 19 2007, 02:47 PM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 948

QUOTE (Demerzel)
Didn't Rambo take out a heliopter with a compound bow in one of those movies? I can't say I saw it, but I remember the trailer.

He had some souped up Ex-Ex arrows with huge exploding tips.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Mar 19 2007, 02:53 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Ah yes, then the movie poster of Hot Shots had Charlie Sheen with a Ex-Ex Chicken in his bow...

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Mar 19 2007, 02:53 PM
Post #6

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (Demerzel)
Didn't Rambo . . .

So is this an argument for, or against, uber-bows. ;)
As in: "Rambo did it, so it must be okay!" vs "Rambo did it, so it's obviously crap!"

Guiltily I will admit that I enjoyed Rambo 3 (the one with the explodie arrows)

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Mar 19 2007, 02:59 PM
Post #7

Running Target

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
So is this an argument . . .

It was less an argument and more just supplying mostly irrelevent information, that may be used in an argument either for or against.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Mar 19 2007, 03:18 PM
Post #8

Great, I'm a Dragon...

My thoughts were not Rambo-related, but more like: all damage codes have been divided by 2 when you compare SR3 and SR4, only the bow still has its old damage value ((STR+2)M at SR3 and STR+2 at SR4). That seems odd to me.

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post Mar 19 2007, 04:01 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,301

I use Str. min.+2 DV for bows in my game. It works well. A troll-bow still hits hard (very hard, in fact), but it's not likely to stop a Citymaster. Which seems fair.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Mar 19 2007, 04:44 PM
Post #10

Great, I'm a Dragon...

But it leaves a big scar in the Citymaster, when it is hit by an arrow with what? 15P plus net hits?

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Mar 19 2007, 05:38 PM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

QUOTE (Eryk the Red)
I use Str. min.+2 DV for bows in my game. It works well. A troll-bow still hits hard (very hard, in fact), but it's not likely to stop a Citymaster. Which seems fair.

Unless you Dikote your arrow heads.

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post Mar 19 2007, 05:39 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,301

Um, I totally screwed up what I was actually trying to say. I meant that I do Str. Min./2 +2 DV for bows.

It should make more sense when read that way.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Mar 19 2007, 05:44 PM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

Compare what a sword vs an arrow can do to your average suit of platemail. There is a reason the Longbow changed combat so radically. With the case of compound bows you are getting far more energy out than you are putting in to it. I know its hard to imagine an arrow doing more damage to a person than a giant axe, but it will have a much higher penetration value. Perhaps the bow needs to be changed to have an AP value instead of a huge damage value?

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon
post Mar 19 2007, 05:45 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,754

I houserule a cap of rating 6 bows, and I divide the ranges in half. It just seems ridiculous that a bow can be more powerful than a panther cannon.

+Quote Post
cristomeyers
post Mar 19 2007, 05:48 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

The damage for bows is fully realistic. Honestly I see your average compound bow doing more penetration against body armor than the bullets (then again, aren't arrows resisted with Impact?)

An arrow shot from a longbow WILL penetrate armor at least somewhat, our compound bows can put out about that much power with pulleys and the pull of the bow.

Str min +2 without any AP is conservative.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 19 2007, 05:58 PM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (X-Kalibur)
Compare what a sword vs an arrow can do to your average suit of platemail.

The exact same thing?

At close range a direct shot that impacts a plate at a straight angle with an armor piercing arrowhead, a longbow could penetrate plate armor of the 14th and 15th centuries. Similarly a powerful thrust with a good armor piercing sword at a straight angle could penetrate the same plate.

QUOTE (X-Kalibur)
I know its hard to imagine an arrow doing more damage to a person than a giant axe, but it will have a much higher penetration value.

Does not compute. A large axe with a narrow head swung full force will penetrate body armor much better than any personal bow every built.

At least in SR3 you needed a Ranger-X bow with a strength minimum far out of the reach of 99,999% of humans firing EX-Ex to equal a Sniper Rifle, and an absolutely ridiculous troll bow rig with Dikoted arrows to get into Assault Cannon territory. Seems bows are even better in SR4. But then I guess those who see this as a problem will simply house rule it away in an instant, so no worries.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 19 2007, 06:08 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

QUOTE (cristomeyers)
Honestly I see your average compound bow doing more penetration against body armor than the bullets (then again, aren't arrows resisted with Impact?)

You can get a rifle and ammunition for it capable of penetrating around 10mm of rolled homogenous armor steel at a few hundred meters from any serious gun shop anywhere in the world -- and that's a long way from the best you can manage with heavy sporting rifles or sniper rifles with the right ammo. I would love to see someone get anywhere near the same kind of penetration with a bow weighing less than 50kg. Hell, I'd love to see someone manage 3mm of armor steel with any personal bow and any arrow -- that's the minimum to equal assault rifle FMJs, and I seriously doubt that's going to happen.

The issue of broadhead arrows vs. current flexible body armor (which you didn't mention, but I just feel coming up any moment now...) is moot here since: 1) every single dedicated armor piercing round in the world, along with just about every rifle round in the world, will penetrate clean through any flexible body armor; 2) stab protection and advances in rigid-on-impact armor and other technologies are quickly removing this threat altogether.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Mar 19 2007, 06:25 PM
Post #18

Running Target

I think like much of Physics, this may be an equation that breaks down for large values. The issue at hand isn't the ability of an arrow to really mess someone up, it's the ability of an arrow to really mess an armored vehicle up.

Consider a Strength 13 Troll fires an arrow from a rating 13 bow. 15P is the base damage. Assume they get at least one net hit against an Armor 15 Body 15 vehicle. They defeat the hardened armor and so they do damage (15 + Net hits). The vehicle resists, on average the vehicle would get around 10 hits on the resistance test. Or the GM could say 30 dice sell them off at ¼ and that’s 7 hits. Lets give them the higher number for arguments sake (as a GM I wouldn’t buy off a roll that wouldn’t be a complete success, or near it). So the 15/15 armor/body vehicle takes 5 +Net hits damage.

Okay consider a HMG, 7p base damage –3 AP, give the man some Ex-Ex for fun, and that’s what, now 8p –4AP. If the shooter fires a narrow burst he has to get 4 net hits to achieve any damage at all. Then if he manages 4 net hits, he does 21 damage before resistance, give them the same average reduction of 10 and it does 11 boxes. This requires much more skill since it needs to bridge a larger gap to penetrate the vehicle armor.

Then what about an Assault Cannon? At 10P –5AP a Panther has the same armor penetration as a Rating 13 bow.

The question is should a single arrow be nearly as good, with less skill, against a vehicle as 9 rounds out of an HMG, or a shot from a Panther?

I don’t really have an answer to that, but if it were realistic wouldn’t the army use some sort of hydraulic ballista as an anti-tank weapon?

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 19 2007, 06:33 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Demerzel)
The question is should a single arrow be nearly as good, with less skill, against a vehicle as 9 rounds out of an HMG, or a shot from a Panther?

Realistically, NO. Not even fucking close. I doubt even the most massive siege ballista ever built firing 50lb steel shafts would get close to what a 25x59mm HEAT or 12.7x99mm SLAP (dedicated armor piercing small arms rounds in the "Assault Cannon" range) can do to armor steel. No personal bow ever built can even match an assault rifle firing NATO standard FMJ.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Mar 19 2007, 06:34 PM
Post #20

Great, I'm a Dragon...

QUOTE (Demerzel)

A two-meters long arrow, fired from a steam-driven (sorry, too much Iron Kingdoms) siege ballista should be able to do so. But an ordinary composite longbow, even when fired by a troll?

No.

+Quote Post
ornot
post Mar 19 2007, 07:02 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 8,638

I don't know a great deal about guns, but ancient siege weaponry is more potent than it's given credit for. A trebuchet, for example, can make a huge dent in something remarkably accurately, over a very long range. Very long reload times though, compared to a howitzer.

My biggest problem with the 15DV bow is the cost and availability. As a GM I would rule that it needed to be custom made (at great expense due to the materials involved. They have to be strong enough not to snap, and yet flexible enough to bend, and as we're talking about a compound bow with all its attendent pulleys... well, you see my point. Then there is the ammunition. This would be cheaper in terms of materials, but would still not be the kind of thing you could pick up off-the-shelf. And the size and bulk would mean that carrying a bunch of them would be impractible.

Hopefully this arguement would discourage hopeful troll archers, but if they don't fancy a Whiteknight with 100 eXeX rounds, they're welcome to the troll portable seige weapon and 6 or 8 arrows.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 19 2007, 07:08 PM
Post #22

Great Dragon

QUOTE (ornot)
Very long reload times though, compared to a howitzer.

Loses out pretty badly in every aspect compared to a howitzer. :)

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post Mar 19 2007, 07:15 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,630

Ok A Strength of 13 is fairly massive. The Troll with a combat axe would be dealing 11P damage with an AP of -1. Thats just short of the bow's damage.
Just with his fists he'd deal 7S and with proper bioware 10P.

You could also just cap the bow at x strength at some point you reach diminishing returns or they simply can't construct a bow that can stand up that repeated stress.

Some times you have to throw in common sense. And say you can't damage a city master with an arrow. It can rend flesh like butter but an armored vehicle stops it cold.

+Quote Post
cristomeyers
post Mar 19 2007, 07:18 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

I'd say that any bow that requires a strength of 8 or more to pull isn't really going to be able to stand up to repeated use. Just the stress that amount of pull is going to cause is going to wear the bow out really quick.

Sorry, Troll Archers, you can't all be Odysseus.

+Quote Post
Thane36425
post Mar 19 2007, 07:27 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,416

QUOTE (ornot)

My biggest problem with the 15DV bow is the cost and availability. As a GM I would rule that it needed to be custom made (at great expense due to the materials involved. They have to be strong enough not to snap, and yet flexible enough to bend, and as we're talking about a compound bow with all its attendent pulleys... well, you see my point. Then there is the ammunition. This would be cheaper in terms of materials, but would still not be the kind of thing you could pick up off-the-shelf. And the size and bulk would mean that carrying a bunch of them would be impractible.

Hopefully this arguement would discourage hopeful troll archers, but if they don't fancy a Whiteknight with 100 eXeX rounds, they're welcome to the troll portable seige weapon and 6 or 8 arrows.

I agree and that is also how I would handle high STR bows. Anything above 6 saw its cost go up sharply for each extra point due to its increased size and greater use of expensive, component materials. Arrows would also have to be tougher. Shooting a too weak arrow in a bow can easily result in it splintering. A standard arrow from a STR 12 bow wouldn't stand a chance. The expense of the bow and its arrows would quickly make guns and bullets much cheaper, and easier to carry and conceal.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:57 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.