Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Seattle Intelligencer, Subscription and recruitment call
Synner
post Nov 4 2003, 03:13 PM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 185

For those might be interested - I hope to have the first issue of the New Seattle Intelligencer newsfax edited and laid out next weekend. After that I'll be mailing it out to the old "regular" subscribers (and probably asking Adam to add it to the page he put together to house previous issues).

If you are interested in receiving this and future issues of the NSI please post here (or send me a PM or mail) including a mailing address and whether you would prefer the file as a PDF or a Word.doc.

I'd also to send out my thanks to JongWK, Kanada Ten, Sepherim, Granite and everyone else who contributed to the First Issue and urge anyone interested to jump aboard and help with Issue 2 (guidelines and pointers can be found here).

Aside from the regular features (CrimeWatch, Local News, Corporate Life, MediaLine, International Front and Sports Desk), we've expanded the NSI format to include a nightspot review column Night on the Town and a Headline Act corner for concert reviews.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sepherim
post Nov 4 2003, 03:22 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,446

I'd like a copy, in .doc format, please. :D

+Quote Post
JongWK
post Nov 4 2003, 03:36 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,992

Me too :wavey:

+Quote Post
Buzzed
post Nov 4 2003, 04:07 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,782

Free Shadowrun stuff! You know I can't pass up an offer like that.

synbuzzed@excite.com PDF please. :D

+Quote Post
JongWK
post Nov 4 2003, 04:34 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,992

More international news on the way! :D

+Quote Post
Spookymonster
post Nov 4 2003, 05:06 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,638

What would be great is if the SI could be set up as a 'real' newsite, a la Slashdot. Each article gets posted on the main page in chronological order, with the latest news appearing at the top of the page. Each article would also have a comments section for users to carry on in-character discussions, kind of like the flavor text in the sourcebooks. A full-on karma system (like Slashdot uses) would probably be overkill, not to mention resource intensive. Post-Nuke could do it... hmmm... lemme think about this a bit...

+Quote Post
Siege
post Nov 4 2003, 05:07 PM
Post #7

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

What the hell, sign me up:

stark_000@hotmail.com

-Siege

+Quote Post
Sepherim
post Nov 4 2003, 05:13 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,446

QUOTE (Spookymonster)
What would be great is if the SI could be set up as a 'real' newsite, a la Slashdot. Each article gets posted on the main page in chronological order, with the latest news appearing at the top of the page. Each article would also have a comments section for users to carry on in-character discussions, kind of like the flavor text in the sourcebooks. A full-on karma system (like Slashdot uses) would probably be overkill, not to mention resource intensive. Post-Nuke could do it... hmmm... lemme think about this a bit...

Could work nicely, but it would require a lot of individuals to participate so it was kept active and not start to buzz off and dissapear.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Nov 4 2003, 05:44 PM
Post #9

Runner

QUOTE (Spookymonster @ Nov 4 2003, 05:06 PM)
What would be great is if the SI could be set up as a 'real' newsite, a la Slashdot.

In an ideal world that's how I would like it too. Unfortunately I have neither the programming skills nor the time to put it online in such a format, if anyone wants to volunteer please contact me.

Regardless of this though the NSI is meant to be a customizable handout for GMs rather than just generic atmosphere, which means it needs to retain it's printed version.

+Quote Post
Spookymonster
post Nov 4 2003, 05:48 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Check this out, Synner -

Spookymonster: SI

Just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

+Quote Post
Shadowrunner13
post Nov 4 2003, 05:56 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 163

I'm interested. Hook me up! :)

shadowrunner13@hotmail.com

I think I'd prefer a Word version of the SI. Thanks!

SR13

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Nov 4 2003, 06:01 PM
Post #12

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

SM, that rocks. Could be quite interesting.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Nov 4 2003, 06:04 PM
Post #13

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Synner)
In an ideal world that's how I would like it too. Unfortunately I have neither the programming skills nor the time to put it online in such a format, if anyone wants to volunteer please contact me.

This could tie in very well with some plans we have.

+Quote Post
Req
post Nov 4 2003, 06:15 PM
Post #14

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 277

I'm in.

req AT u DOT washington DOT edu. Doc format, please.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Nov 4 2003, 06:26 PM
Post #15

Runner

Adam - Argggh, you tease! Well, content has always been my thing and you have my mail in case it's needed...

Spookymonster- That looks very cool and pretty close to how I envisioned it to begin with. Depending on what Adam's plans are this might be an interesting opportunity. Should I take this as an interest on your side in hosting it if necessary?

Which brings me to the big problem I've always forseen if the SI left the Dumpshock Forums, which is that aside from myself and a couple of other hardcore contributors the SI has always depended on Dumpshock regulars to take up the slack and file reports (there's no way I can keep it regular by myself, I know, I've tried) and in this format it would go double for the shadowtalk posting.

Of course this might not be such an issue if I can convince the DSF mods for a link on the DSF Matrix or the Dumpshock page... and I am (in)famous for pimping my projects ;).

+Quote Post
Adam
post Nov 4 2003, 06:38 PM
Post #16

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

Or if it ends up on the front page of Dumpshock.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Nov 4 2003, 06:44 PM
Post #17

Runner

Now that would be nice :D

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Nov 4 2003, 07:04 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,304

Please add me to the mailing list.
I don't have any content to add, because we are currently in Oct, 2056. Not much curernt stuff :D

megwar@hotmail.com

+Quote Post
Spookymonster
post Nov 4 2003, 07:05 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

I used Post-Nuke, a free Open Source web content management system (CMS), to build that sample page. It took about 5 minutes to define the category (Shadowrun) and cut-and-paste the articles from the first SI into 2 news items. The comments are easy enough to add and moderate. I disabled unregistered users from commenting; only registered users can comment, making it easier to track and ban/censure if necessary.

If you're interested in setting something like this up on Dumpshock, I'd be more than happy to volunteer my time and skills to the project.

As for me hosting, my site is really just a vanity page hosted on Ipowerweb.com for about $7US a month. IIRC, I get about 30GB of bandwidth per month. Any idea how much traffic Dumpshock gets in the average month?

[edit]
The front page of Dumpshock would be ideal for this!

+Quote Post
Synner
post Nov 4 2003, 09:14 PM
Post #20

Runner

If I do take it this way I'd be grateful for your help Spooky. Let me talk to a couple of people about the idea and the hosting and see what turns up. I'll drop you a line as soon as I know something.

I dropped by the Post-Nuke site and found myself at a complete loss in under 30 seconds (new record for me ;) ). Don't know even where to start so I'd be very happy to have your expertise if we do go this way. I do think that it'd be a great idea especially if the NSI gets front page profile.

I'll be in touch as soon as I know more.

And now back to our regular broadcast...

+Quote Post
Dun Fe'Ran
post Nov 4 2003, 10:29 PM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 5,791

please add me to the list

ph34r_d34th@yahoo.com

Oh, and PDF would be great

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 5 2003, 12:25 AM
Post #22

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Don't forget to include me. :)

dreamrhythm at hotmail dot com

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Nov 5 2003, 12:32 AM
Post #23

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,006

Ditto

.pdf please

This post has been edited by Shadow: Nov 5 2003, 10:14 PM

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post Nov 5 2003, 09:49 AM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 4,488

Also note that Slashdot itself has a open-source version of its software that it uses for its webpage and there are more than a few news websites that use it. Basically, it's a stripped down version that looks like crap, but has all the functionality. Just play with the style a little and change the colors and you've got your own Shadowland BBS on the web...the only thing you couldn't do would be post messages in the middle of a document. I've been scratching my head on that one for a while and the only thing I could come up with is after every paragraph, post a "Click Here to Comment" link or something equally distracting...

Sign me up too since everyone else is posting it on here instead of letting you know in PM :P abstruse at gt.rr.com, should also be in my profile.

The Abstruse One

+Quote Post
Spookymonster
post Nov 5 2003, 12:39 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Slashcode's nice, but it is pretty OS-dependent. If you're running your server on Linux, you're fine. Anything else (Mac, BSD, Win) requires tweaking and kludging. (at least, that's what the FAQ sez).

Check out Google's listing of Content Management Systems for more choices. PHP-Nuke, Post-Nuke, Xoop, Zope... they're all pretty full featured.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:19 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.