Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A survey, survey for the Shadowrun MMO "Awakened"
a_jediknight
post Mar 30 2007, 08:34 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,211

Dear Members, I would like your help, i need marketing information for my project. To be able to get possible sponsorship and the like. Please take 5 minutes of your time to complete the survey. many thanks.
Survey link: http://awakenedmmo.org/survey.php

Awakened is an Open Source project to create a Shadowrun MMO. Unlike other projects like this, we have license from the ineractive rights owner for Shadowrun (microsoft) to produce the game.
http:\\www.AwakenedMMO.org

Feel free to ask me any questions or make comments. We want to hear from you all. And, as with any Opensource project, we are always seeking talented team members. 3D artists are currently the premium! Coders are always welcome, but we have a crack team of skilled hackers. Artists with Shadowrun experience are a rare breed indeed!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 30 2007, 09:04 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Mein Gott, holy total absence of commit messages Batman! I suggest better habit-building immediately, so that it doesn't become a problem in the future.

~J

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Mar 30 2007, 09:52 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE (a_jediknight)
Feel free to ask me any questions or make comments. We want to hear from you all.

I took a quick look at the "concept art gallery"...

What's with the elf's ears?! This is SR, elves have "Mr. Spock" ears, not these giant horizontal manga elf ears.

That "dwarf rigger" girl is completely wrong. Dwarfs have way different body proportions (short legs, broad shoulders) - she just looks like a human with strange ears and even stranger hands (oversized and with claws?).

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Mar 30 2007, 09:57 PM
Post #4

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Mein Gott, holy total absence of commit messages Batman!

:rotfl:

Sweet, "Mein Gott" made it into american speech.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Mar 30 2007, 10:03 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Mar 30 2007, 10:04 PM)
Mein Gott, holy total absence of commit messages Batman!

Sweet, "Mein Gott" made it into american speech.

Or he took German in highschool and likes to interject bits of it here and there. I'm lucky I still remember any German :P

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Mar 30 2007, 10:04 PM
Post #6

Great, I'm a Dragon...

That's possible, but it's still strange to read german words in an english forum. :)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 30 2007, 10:10 PM
Post #7

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Nah, I was a Latin student in high school. That said, some expressions (like that one) just feel more satisfying to me in German.

~J

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Mar 30 2007, 10:10 PM
Post #8

Runner

I'll give you that. Heh, I've been known to use "Ach, mein auge!" from time to time. But only when the goggles do nothing :D :rotfl:

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Mar 30 2007, 10:28 PM
Post #9

Great, I'm a Dragon...

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon
post Mar 30 2007, 10:40 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,754

Good luck with your project. PLEASE don't just use the name 'Shadowrun' like the FPS did, while making a completely different game.

+Quote Post
Meriss
post Mar 30 2007, 10:44 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 11,025

Sweet! Auch du lieber! Jahwohl!

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Mar 30 2007, 10:54 PM
Post #12

Great, I'm a Dragon...

I don't want to become picky, but "Auch du lieber" makes no sense and "Jahwohl" should be "Jawohl". :)

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Mar 30 2007, 11:11 PM
Post #13

Runner

Best use of german ever though, was "Ich bin ein berliner". Someone should have told him that a berliner is a type of doughnut.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Mar 31 2007, 09:19 AM
Post #14

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Looking back this might be true, but when Mr. Kennedy said it to the people of Berlin nobody thought about this connection, I'm sure. :)

+Quote Post
Straight Razor
post Mar 31 2007, 11:30 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,761

Mmm, your art needs a good going over by the SR fan boys, it's a little to WOW for my taste.

And my question for you is how are you going to handle death?

i REALLY recommend looking at a MMO called EVE on-line. I think their spin on getting killed is VERY good. I would like to see your developers play EVE for a bit and see what they can take away from it.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Mar 31 2007, 01:18 PM
Post #16

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Looking at the gallery, I found the dwarf somehow "unfitting" - it looks more like a small, tiny human and not like a dwarf (who have shorter legs and a broader torso). And the cyberarm of the ork is strange - it should begin on the shoulder and not in the middle of the upper arm.

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Mar 31 2007, 01:32 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,687

In the magic section, I noted that a full magician's tradition will determine or limit the types of spells he/she can cast. I am not pleased, since that is obviously NOT SR.

+Quote Post
Lodestar_77
post Apr 1 2007, 06:12 PM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 9,982

With the uproar that the MS FPS made I would be very wary. An MMO should really be truer to the IP and canon. The FPS is an unecessary standard FPS in a situtaion where there are so many FPS games we are drowning. Microsofts SR game did a total hatchet job just to create yet another FPS.

Now we have a mass influx of Everquest and World of Warcraftclones with more on their way. Even Lord of the Rings online. I would not think that another game of that kind would go down well unless it was spectacular. And especially iof it broke far too much of the IP and canon. And to be quite honest. WoW and EQ are not the best MMOS in anycase.

Shadowrun with its decades of material over the years offers so much to a fantastic MMORPG that with good development and time taken and innovation could break the mould and become a benchmark in ANY genre but most noteably I think RPGs and MMORPGs. Such a game would be a great hit with MMO players irrespective of how much they know of SR. For one thing SR has alot to offer as a game and the potential is there. The canon works. And for MMO players thats a bonus and for SR fans its even better. For myself Id love it as I cant get to game groups these days and the prospect of turning on my PC and logging in rather than months of legwork for a gaming group would be fantastic. Im sure Im not the only on.

Another serious point I would like to make is that the most important factors in any RPG or MMO is character creation. JUst as it is im PnP RPG games. The reason is obvious. We are playing someone we want to relate to and present a recognisable facade to others. Create concepts and so on. Even if they do end up generic stereotypes they can still end up being unique in some way.

Now to me I have been disapointed in many MMO and RPG vidoe games on character customisation. But I think its even mpre important in an MMO. Not only because you see your character all the time but so do many others all at the same time. WHereas in PnP groups we have an image of a player character between a few other [layers we are dealing with a situation in which we play on servers with numbers far greater than any PnP group. And game devs just fall shprt of this.

I dont beleive many devs actually bother with this and it beats me why. Either they dont truly understand the need to make a player character as individual as a real person or they have low standards. So far the best game for character creation is City of Heroes/Villans but even that can be very basic and limiting. I know some people who play the game just for its options. And yet few games have tried to even equal it let alone exceed it. Too many MMOs out there arwe cookie cutter crap. And often where character abilities are the same we end up with clone toons. WoW and EQ are great examples of this. The upcoming Chronicles of Spellborn looks like one of the few to take it seriousluy and Age of Conan alos is set to be the only game to take it further. All other titles of the genre have simply gone for Cookie cutter (or few options amounting to the same thing) even if they have nice graphics a clone toon is a clone toon.

My advice on this matter is to look at the ioneers of character customisation. Consider that even when player characters may end up being built and developed the same they can at least look diferent. This was at least a comfort in City of Heroes/Villans which for all its nice graphics and rather well customised apperances were clones in powers and abilities.

Body scaling options to allow us to be fat, thin, muscualr or inbeteen along with height and skin colour and age have been used to a lesser extent in the WWE consloe games for years. Age of Conan MMO also uses these very well. Naturally all these options may be too much messing for some people and so an option of taking a generic type and altering slightly or severly would be preferable or leave alone. We can choose this model and maybe change skin tone and select or select each individual part and advanc custom so we can even change lips and eye size, shape and position or whatever.

There are also alot of clothing lines and armour types in the SR universe that could really be used to greart affect. Especially with a good colour scheme and style of wearing. For example armour jackets are common. But while player 1 has a plain black jacket that fits well, player 2 has a baggy red armour jacket with Orange horizontal stripes and a symbol or decal on the back like a gangster with the zip open. And player 3 wears a armour jacket half zipped of the colour blue that is tight fitting. And Player 4 has same as player 1 but in a camoflague pattern of blues.

Thirdly the actual abilities in SR are so very loose and customisable many player characters end up unique just by the canon rules nature. Its what made Shadowrun abov many other more generic PnP games and I said before this can very much be the problem of manyy MMO gamen to the extreme. Again I use WoW and EQ as examples. This is made worse by game instances where only a certain build will do. While it is very hard to allow for such diversity in MMOs due to technology restraints and other logistics I do beleive with time and effort it is possible.

No one expects a Shadowrun MMORPG that is the same as the PnP something will have to give but things should not be cut and simplified too early on. Shadowrun as I have said has all the potential to break the MMO mould and improve on the whole MMO genre as a whole to become a benchmark. But if a good version of a SHadowrun game that is not part as good as expectaions it would better not be made at all. For a game with great potential receives stronger criticsm than one that is unknown. And Shadowrun is a great IP that has a great following. To try make a quick turnout on this game would be a disater on so may levels.

Anyway I have waffled at you good people enough. Just take things into consdieration.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Apr 1 2007, 06:33 PM
Post #19

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

He's just lucky he didn't say Arsenal was out. *mumble mumble*

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Apr 1 2007, 10:12 PM
Post #20

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Here's the forum for that project if anyone wants to post comments there: http://awakenedmmo.org/forums/

+Quote Post
Pyritefoolsgold
post Apr 2 2007, 12:54 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,861

Use the SNES game as inspiration. It wasn't absolutely true to the mechanics and setting, but it was quite close enough to be respectable.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Apr 2 2007, 02:23 AM
Post #22

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Except of course for the fact that you could be a Fully Cybered Sammy/Decker/Shaman and could only learn spells after finding various regents for them...

Naw, if they want to look at the existing games, then look at the SEGA version for the mechanics and only at the SNES version for the 'feel'.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Apr 2 2007, 05:11 AM
Post #23

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

QUOTE (Lodestar_77 @ Apr 1 2007, 07:12 PM)
Such a game would be a great hit with MMO players irrespective of how much they know of SR.

I totally disagree with this.
MMORPG aren't RPG (at least, not what I'd call RPG), they're a more complicated and more expensive version of "My dad is stronger than your dad." or "my dick is bigger than yours".

As you said yourself, WoW isn't the best MMORPG... But it's by far the most successful. Why ? First because of the IP, and also because it's just mindless levelling.

What Kevin, 13, and Fat Bob, 35, want in their MMORPG is to become the best. (for different psychological reasons). Why else would people sell or buy high-level characters at such high prices. Why else would people describe their character as a {race}, {level} {class} with a {weapon} and a {armor} ?

A SR MMORPG that truely has a Shadowrun feel (both in rules and fluff) would have a slow character progression and a bigger emphasis on death which is incompatible with the aforementioned expectations.

+Quote Post
ThatPaolo
post Apr 2 2007, 06:41 AM
Post #24

the Coke in the Machine

Member No.: 46

QUOTE (a_jediknight)
Unlike other projects like this, we have license from the ineractive rights owner for Shadowrun (microsoft) to produce the game.

Then why there is...

"WizKids LLC and Microsoft Corp. do not endorse, and are not affiliated with this project in any official capacity whatsoever"

...at the bottom?

+Quote Post
Blade
post Apr 2 2007, 07:05 AM
Post #25

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

Because they just "tolerate" it. They aren't affiliated with it. If Awakened turns out to be a totally illegal product, WizKids LLC and Microsoft Corp. won't be responsible of anything.

Just like in here on Dumpshock : Wizkids allow us to talk about Shadowrun, to use Shadowrun's names, logo, artwork and so on on Dumpshock, but nothing that's said here is WizKids' words and nobody can sue Wizkids for something that has been said or done on this forum.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:06 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.