IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Albino Gnome Shaman w/ Excp+Bonus WP, Why go through all the trouble?
Sphynx
post Nov 4 2003, 08:23 PM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,437

I've always heard alot of talk about the 'munchkin' version of a magic-user was the Albino Gnome Shaman w/ Exceptional Attribute Willpower and Bonus Attribute Willpower. I've also always considered people who thought that to be wasting alot of points on a few WP points that didn't make a huge difference (Just get a Trauma Dampener).

Yesterday I got my friends' character sheet, the one with the Albino Gnome, etc, etc. Admittedly, at 225 karma, you'd expect any character to be pretty powerful. Especially since last game he spent his karma to bond a Force-6 Power Focus that he's been hoarding for a couple of months now. But I had no idea the incredible potential a Willpower 10 gave someone. With only 2 grades of Initiation, he's got an effective Magic rating of 19(!?!?!?) in addition to a Sorcery and Conjuring skill of 10 each (THAT's the advantage to a 10 Willpower). 10 dice for anything without the need for a Pool. Damn.......

To top it off, his Force 5 Ally spirit (also a Willpower 10 and Sorcery skill of 6) tops off the Power Focus for that huge 19 (8+6+5) effective Magic Rating.

I just wanted to say.... I stand corrected. It is definitely an incredible munchkin setup. :P I now have a new goal for my own PC, hats off to Spirit (the character in a previous thread about the Infirm flaw), our Astral Guardian. :P

Done with the Rambling, character posted with his permission,
Sphynx
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 4 2003, 08:27 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

I still say it's a more effective twink for an Otaku, though I'm eyeing Dryads or Wakyambi as possible better options.

~J

+Quote Post
Guest_Artemis_*
post Nov 4 2003, 08:34 PM
Post #3

Guests

‘Once you go Gnome— That's what you moan!’

Gah! The one phrase that drives my character entirely insane... and she hears it all of the time from her short little companion on the team. Eh...

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Nov 4 2003, 08:45 PM
Post #4

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

But has he dikoted the ally spirit yet? That'd be the true sign that he has made it into the twink hall of fame ;)

+Quote Post
Req
post Nov 4 2003, 08:50 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 277

QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
But has he dikoted the ally spirit yet? That'd be the true sign that he has made it into the twink hall of fame ;)

That just depends whether he's sleeping with it.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 4 2003, 08:59 PM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

Some horribly twinked Otaku coming when I get the chance.

~J

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Nov 4 2003, 09:15 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

been there and stopped short. wanted something playable

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Nov 4 2003, 09:16 PM
Post #8

Dragon

Otaku are easy to twink... twinking them and making them useful for something besides decking is the real challenge :)

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Nov 4 2003, 09:21 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

I went the "face" of a sort. She just doesn't do it in person.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 4 2003, 09:32 PM
Post #10

Manus Celer Dei

Not really. You just make an Otaku Troll.

~J

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Nov 4 2003, 09:34 PM
Post #11

Dragon

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

Hand to hand Otaku? That might work fairly well, actually. The big hit is that quickness of 1. Stealth don't work so good.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Nov 4 2003, 10:06 PM
Post #12

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

QUOTE (Sphynx)
With only 2 grades of Initiation, he's got an effective Magic rating of 19(!?!?!?)
Sphynx, it is such a shame the poor Albino Gator Shaman Gnome is infirm. I hope he gets his health back sometime. Perhaps a radical new surgery, drug, or physical therapy could help him -- with or without his permission -- and the GM can replace the flaw with one of his own choosing. But I digress...

While you probably already know it, others might not be aware that you should treat him as having a magic rating of 8 for almost everything, including:
* calculating spell pool
* radius of area-affect spells
* the opposed-magic test to correctly assense a masked aura
* the TN for a spirit to oppose the Gnome's banishing test
* fast Astral movement speed (magic x 1000 km/hr)
* the 2D6 roll to avoid magic loss
* temp loss of magic from combat with astral barriers
* maximum Force he can give a Ward
* for determining Focus Addiction

As per canon a Power Focus
QUOTE (SR3 p. 190)
increases the owner's Magic Attribute by its own Force for purposes of determining whether or not Drain does stun or physical and stun (sic) damage, as well as for determining the maximum spirit Force that can be summonded.
The Ally Spirit Aid Power
QUOTE (MitS p. 108)
...acts as a power focus, adding its Force to its master's Magic for purposes of Drain...

The Gnome experiences Stun conjuring damage when summoning spirits up to force 19, though above force 9 (1.5 x Charisma) he'll be resisting Deadly stun.

The Gnome experiences Stun spellcasting drain when casting spells up to force 19. Though we all know it takes years to learn a high-force spell. :)

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Nov 4 2003, 11:07 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Hence, the Effective comment. :P

However, since he gets to add that whole +11 to any magic skill roll, he has 21 dice before Spell Pool. That's crazy. :P

Sphynx

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Nov 4 2003, 11:16 PM
Post #14

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

er how? a power focus adds its rating to their spell pool, not directly to their skill. I could be wrong, but I was pretty sure about this. Also they cannot roll more dice than their base skill, so that is somewhat limiting.

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Nov 4 2003, 11:19 PM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Although it acts similarly to a pool, it does not add to a pool. It does limit itself to 1 dice per combat round per force point though. But it can be used in conjunction with the Spell Pool and doesn't have the skill-cap.

Sphynx

+Quote Post
Guest_Artemis_*
post Nov 4 2003, 11:22 PM
Post #16

Guests

No, you're right BitBasher.

Core skill of 10 according to the first post.

Then they get +5 dice to their Spell Pool from their Force 5 Ally Spirit. So they can have a first spell every Initiative that has a lot of kick to it, or they can save up for spell defense.

It has advantages, but expendable spell foci and a high spellcasting specialization can be jsut as effective if not even more so. The only ugly thing is when you try to target a spell on a monster with Willpower 10. In such a case I'd resort to my physical manipualtion spells and burn the tiny little fragger. If I had to.

+Quote Post
Guest_Artemis_*
post Nov 4 2003, 11:25 PM
Post #17

Guests

1 dice per combat round? According to page 108 of MitS it acts as a bonified power focus. Which means that you get a number of dice equal to its force after every initiative roll. The full amount will refresh after the next roll, but up till then it's a unique pool in itself with the same uses and limitations as the Spell Pool.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Nov 4 2003, 11:30 PM
Post #18

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

only ugly thing is when you try to target a spell on a monster with Willpower 10.
In cases like that a Ruger Super Warhawk with EXEX can cast a little offensive magic of it's own. :D

+Quote Post
Guest_Artemis_*
post Nov 4 2003, 11:34 PM
Post #19

Guests

-smile- I'll leave that to the sams of the team to display their expertese in. But that is certainly a good point. Someone mentioned a body 6 Gnome... isn't there a certain point where their diet changes their metahuman classification?

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Nov 5 2003, 12:41 AM
Post #20

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

QUOTE (Sphynx)
Although it acts similarly to a pool, it does not add to a pool.  It does limit itself to 1 dice per combat round per force point though.
I interpret the rules as Sphynx does here. Since it's only 1 usable die per round per force point, it gets used and 'refreshed' much like Spell Pool, but doesn't have the same limitations. From the Power Focus description:
QUOTE (SR3 p. 190)
use a power focus's Force dice for Sorcery, Conjuring, or Drain Resistance Tests ...[and] for Spell Defense. These bonus dice may be divided up among the owner's tests each Combat Turn as desired.

If your GM chooses to use the Focus Addiction rule (MitS p. 45-46), the Albino Gnome is ony a force 5 Expendable Spell Focus away from trouble if he has on both his Sustaining Focus 6 and his Power Focus 6.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Nov 5 2003, 01:10 AM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

I still don't think it beats the charisma 12+invoking+channeling+traumadampener shaman... Willpower 10 may be one thing, but immunity to natural weapons providing 10-12 points of hardened armour is another. Especially when you consider using the spirit's storm+storm strike powers...

Do 6S (no armor) to everything within a radus of up-to 600m from a point within your LOS? Once per combat turn? With no chance of drain? It would appear that you have just destroyed a small army... Oops.

[edit]Oh yes: And you can shrug-off light railgun and high-explosive heavy mortar hits[/edit]

+Quote Post
msoya
post Nov 5 2003, 02:54 AM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 5,792

QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Nov 4 2003, 05:32 PM)

Hand to hand Otaku? That might work fairly well, actually. The big hit is that quickness of 1. Stealth don't work so good.

Can't you get a quickness of 2 by using the Bonus Attribute edge? From what I remember, the edges and flaws weren't counted in the otaku rules.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Nov 5 2003, 04:27 AM
Post #23

Dragon

QUOTE (msoya)
Can't you get a quickness of 2 by using the Bonus Attribute edge? From what I remember, the edges and flaws weren't counted in the otaku rules.

By the letter of the rules, yes. Expect most GMs to flog you about the face and neck with a herring for trying it, though.

+Quote Post
Guest_Artemis_*
post Nov 5 2003, 06:38 AM
Post #24

Guests

Hmm.. this is new information to me. 1 die per Combat Round per Force Point. I don't recall ever having read that outside of this forum, but I'll take your word for it.

Is that true for Power Foci as well as for Ally Spirits using the Aid Power?

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Nov 5 2003, 07:57 AM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

That's true for Power Foci and Ally Spirits. The Aid Power is something different, that let's you cast the spell and the Spirit soak the drain. You don't need that power for your Ally to act as a Power Focus.

To others, there's no mention anywhere that a Power Focus (or Ally Spirit) adds to Spell Pool. They each just add dice that refresh once a round with no cap. So, 10 skill + 5 Ally + 6 PowerFocus + 10 Spell Pool is legitamately possible.

Sphynx

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 12:56 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.