Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Japanese Shadowrun
Large Mike
post Apr 5 2007, 07:02 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,062

I've got a buddy going to Japan, and he goes, 'what do you want me to bring you back?' I go, 'Sumo wrestler.' He goes, 'Customs might have something to say about that. Besides, I don't think my bags are allowed to weigh that much.'

Anyways, long story short, I've got him hunting down Japanese Shadowrun. Only problem is, I don't know what it looks like. I know Fujimi-Shobo publishes it, but I'd really like to be able to show him a picture so he can't accidentally buy CP2020 Japan. Can anyone help me?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Apr 5 2007, 07:13 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

If you're asking your friend to hunt down Japanese SR just so you can see what it looks like, I don't think there's anyone that can help you.*

*Can I have some too?

+Quote Post
knasser
post Apr 5 2007, 07:16 PM
Post #3

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

Me too. I'd buy a copy just because having it in Japanese would be stylish. Not that I can read a single word, mind you.

Sorry I can't help. I did just type Shadowrun Japanese Edition and Shadowrun Japanese Language into Google images but nothing on the first four pages. I'd never even known there was a Japanese edition.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Apr 6 2007, 12:35 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

Sadly I think this is the english version.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Shadowrun-Fanpro/d.../dp/1932564667/

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Apr 6 2007, 01:07 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

Shadowrun 2nd edition was translated into Japanese by Group SNE. The company's still in business, but I don't think they still have a license for Shadowrun. This is the same company that published the Shadowrun MegaCD game in Japanese in the late '90's.

I've also never seen a copy, but I have vague memories of seeing a picture of the cover on a review site. Googling hasn't given me any love either. (Incidentally, this same company published a translation of CBT with some very different mech designs.)

Also, in 1996, they published a Tokyo Sourcebook. Old Usenet Review

It wasn't highly thought of, and it was quite pricy, comparatively.

Here's a little more info about the products.

I've seen some references to a Manga having been published as well.

Best of luck finding this. I'd imagine that it's very out of print by this point, but as a collector, I'd love to have a copy as well.

+Quote Post
WhiskeyMac
post Apr 6 2007, 01:15 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,789

There was a Shadowrun manga that was run in Japan. I've seen some pictures of it but never actually seen one. From what I remember it only had elf and human protagonists and barely had any mention or pictures of Trolls or Orcs. And what pictures they did have were more humanesque than anything. I would love to get my hands on a copy of those babies.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Apr 6 2007, 01:27 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

Sometimes, a little persistence pays off later :cyber:

Tokyo Sourcebook Cover

Core Rules Cover

If anyone's actually fluent and wants to verify that those are the correct images, I found them here. Unfortunately, Babelfish was unable to translate the page.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Apr 6 2007, 02:02 AM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

The second image, at least, is correct. I was at an auction and bid on a copy, but lost when one of the others went over my limit at $150. Nice hardcover, little manga tucked in there.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 7 2007, 04:40 AM
Post #9

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

This time pick up Shadowrun RPG. Released in '89 in America, second edition released '92, in '94 something something publishing house did something. Japanese language edition launched something something not less than three years in the making some more stuff that I can give a shot at in the morning but I'm falling asleep now.

~J

+Quote Post
adamu
post Apr 7 2007, 06:16 AM
Post #10

Snakehandler

Member No.: 8,508

QUOTE (the_dunner)
Sometimes, a little persistence pays off later :cyber:

Tokyo Sourcebook Cover

Core Rules Cover

If anyone's actually fluent and wants to verify that those are the correct images, I found them here. Unfortunately, Babelfish was unable to translate the page.

Sorry - but too lazy to do more than skim the site.

It does a very nice job of outlining the basic concepts of SR, including chargen, dice pool, canon history. Notes that the Tokyo sourcebook is the only "Japanese original" sourcebook, and that about 1/3 of it actually deals with Tokyo, with the rest going to Japanese history through 2050, and unique Japanese magic and characters.

Note that in nine years in Japan, never seen any of these products in any gaming store or manga shop (I haven't really looked that hard, but I do have my gamer's eyes open and do go to those sorts of places a lot).

+Quote Post
Large Mike
post Apr 9 2007, 04:03 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 2,062

Uhh, Kage? We're aware that Shadowrun was published in '89, and so on and so forth. Unless you're talking about something else? That post was confusing.

And Dunner: Kick-Awesome! Have three Karma!

+Quote Post
tmiya
post Apr 12 2007, 12:07 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 7,767

QUOTE (Large Mike)
Anyways, long story short, I've got him hunting down Japanese Shadowrun.  Only problem is, I don't know what it looks like.  I know Fujimi-Shobo publishes it, but I'd really like to be able to show him a picture so he can't accidentally buy CP2020 Japan.  Can anyone help me?

Shadowrun 2nd Edition was translated and published in 1994, and it became out of print many years ago. You might have a chance to buy as a used book.
Shadowrun 3rd Edition has not translated in Japan.
Japanese translation of Shadowrun 4th Edition is said to be published this year. At first, it was planed to be published in 2006, but the schedule was changed again and again.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 12 2007, 03:30 PM
Post #13

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Large Mike @ Apr 8 2007, 11:03 PM)
Uhh, Kage?  We're aware that Shadowrun was published in '89, and so on and so forth.  Unless you're talking about something else?  That post was confusing.

That was a partial translation of the site given above. Well, up until the last bit.

~J

+Quote Post
Dread Polack
post Apr 12 2007, 08:45 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,822

Hah! I visited Japan in '03 and was gonna try to pick up a local Japanese RPG, but I ran out of money and luggage space. Luckily I have a friend over there who can hook me up if I need it. I found D&D and GURPS in Japanese, as well as some local fantasy RPGs that reminded me a lot of Lodoss Wars and other anime/manga.

Another funny story: before I left, I asked my friends if they had any requests while I was over there, and one said "I want to find a random Japanese person and kill him, because your're an American, and their 'Mickey Mouse' laws don't apply to you." The words constantly came to me as I walked down random Tokyo streets. Haha!

The Dread Polack

+Quote Post
The ubbergeek
post Apr 18 2007, 10:56 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,415

The japanese books are said however to downplay or change unsavory parts of the Shadowrun version of Japan though, so you know.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Apr 18 2007, 11:07 PM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

QUOTE (Dread Polack)
Another funny story: before I left, I asked my friends if they had any requests while I was over there, and one said "I want to find a random Japanese person and kill him, because your're an American, and their 'Mickey Mouse' laws don't apply to you." The words constantly came to me as I walked down random Tokyo streets. Haha!

Heh, I remember chatting about Japan on the subway in NYC and some random guy chimes in with a unique story. A friend of his was in Japan, she gets caught having sex in a temple of theirs, next thing you know she has a one way ticket back to the States the next day. Not welcome back to the country also. But hey, if you ever want to visit Japan only once and the one way ticket price is cheaper, you have a way of getting back no problem. ;)

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Apr 18 2007, 11:26 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

I imagine you'd need an accomplice to accomplish that plan. :rollin:

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Apr 18 2007, 11:36 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

I'm sure one can manage to still offend Japanese society just by their lonesome... though... from what I've seen on their televisions, it'd may take some doing. ;-)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:18 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.