Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Proposal for recoil house rules, Suggestions and comments wanted
ornot
post Apr 22 2007, 05:43 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,638

A fellow player in my SR4 game came up with what sounds like quite a good ruling on recoil.

At its root it involves applying the damage rating of the weapon as a recoil modifier, and giving the character recoil compensation equal to body+strength. This bonus recoil compensation is halved if the weapon is a two handed weapon used in one hand, and if any net recoil exceeds the characters body, the character cannot move in the same combat turn that they fire.

From my perspective this makes strength less of a dump stat, makes trolls more able to happily wield machine guns by virtue of their increased size, and discourages very weak characters from carrying around and firing assault rifles with impunity.

Note that this only applies to the damage rating of the weapon, not any changes caused by ammunition. Hence weapons firing flechettes as standard would need their ratings readjusted.

We plan to play-test this, but if anyone can think of any circumstances where this falls down, please let me know.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Blade
post Apr 22 2007, 06:01 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

Didn't do the maths, but it looks interesting.
I take it you also add the burst-fire modifiers if needed.

[Edit] : Oh, and of course this only applies to weapon affected by recoil. I mean lasers or missile/grenade launcher shouldn't follow the same rules.

And a question : do you consider the recoil just for the second shot or does the modifier also applies for the first shot ?

+Quote Post
ornot
post Apr 22 2007, 06:35 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Yes. Burst fire modifiers also apply, and weapons like rocket launchers are unaffected, as the damage for a rocket launcher results from the shell. I hadn't actually considered lasers, but exempting them is reasonable.

These recoil adjustments apply to all shots with the weapon, including the first. Although I'm no expert, I shouldn't have thought that a weak and skinny (str 1, bod 1) individual should be able to fire a gun without any penalty.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 22 2007, 07:32 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (ornot)
These recoil adjustments apply to all shots with the weapon, including the first.

There will not be any significant movement of the weapon due to recoil before the projectile has already cleared the muzzle. Physics and all that.

QUOTE (ornot)
[...] discourages very weak characters from carrying around and firing assault rifles with impunity.

I suppose, then, that you don't agree with an Africa full of AK-wielding child soldiers?

+Quote Post
ornot
post Apr 22 2007, 09:00 PM
Post #5

Running Target

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (ornot)
These recoil adjustments apply to all shots with the weapon, including the first.

There will not be any significant movement of the weapon due to recoil before the projectile has already cleared the muzzle. Physics and all that.

QUOTE (ornot)
[...] discourages very weak characters from carrying around and firing assault rifles with impunity.

I suppose, then, that you don't agree with an Africa full of AK-wielding child soldiers?

While I do bow before your superior knowledge in terms of guns, AE, I would suggest that the larger weapons remain harder to aim and use for smaller individuals. I recall seeing in Hyzmarca's sig a quote from your good self suggesting that "Small children need compact, polymer frame single stack .380 ACPs with really light triggers", which indicates that I can't be that far off the mark.

To call it a recoil penalty is something of a misnomer, I guess, seeing as it is meant to reflect the size and general unweildiness, rather than the kick of recoil. I only used the same name to try and intergrate it into the system as it stands.

Likewise, how effective are these child soldiers with their AKs? To use SR4 rules, they would have a body and strength of probably 2 each. Provided they fired the rifles from the shoulder to gain the bonus recoil compensation from the stock, they would be dropping only a single die, assuming the common damage code of 7 for an assault rifle. This suggestion doesn't preclude children with large guns, it just makes them less effective than a full grown adult.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Apr 23 2007, 05:28 AM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

Yes I guess it's not recoil compensator but more of a "weight compensator" that can be applied to recoil when positive.

I like the idea because I always felt guilty when playing my 2 STR/BOD adept/hacker/face with his 2 warhawks. So guilty that most of the time I just used only one...

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 23 2007, 06:57 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

I am well under average in strength and endurance, ie. STR 2/BOD 2, and I never had trouble firing the RK 62. The really small kids, the ones who are clearly closer to STR 1/BOD 1, do have problems holding their guns straight, but it might not be a good idea to create a new system of penalties for ranged combat centered around the idea characters with more than one physical attribute at 1.

If you're just thinking of the mass factor, the damage code of a weapon is a bad basis for the penalties. For example, shotguns and sport rifles can be chambered in really powerful calibers without being much larger or heavier than their brethren. There are repeating magnum shotguns (12 gauge 3.5", 10S in SR3) and sport rifles (e.g. .300 Weatherby Magnum, .338 Winchester Magnum, .375 H&H, .376 Steyr, 12S/14S/10D in SR3) weighing less than the assault rifle I carried. No healthy adult human would have trouble holding these guns.

On the other hand, many machine guns and sniper rifles are much bulkier than assault or sport rifles firing the same cartridges. The M249, in the same caliber as the 5.3lb M4 Commando, weighs 16.7lbs empty, enough to make accuracy of the average adult male suffer significantly unless it is fired prone and/or supported.

But that doesn't help you at all, unless you want to come up with weights for all the guns yourself. Making the penalties be based on just the weapon category is a very bad idea, with the heaviest weapons in each category easily weighing 1.5-2.5x what the lightest weapons do in similar calibers.

+Quote Post
ornot
post Apr 23 2007, 09:14 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Certainly interesting AE, but I suspect that you may have a different interpretation of average strength and body than me, and by my standards I suspect you are under-estimating your own 'stats'.

Obviously firearms come in such a wide variety of forms that to exhaustively and accurately convert them all into SR4 versions would be horribly time consuming, and of limited utility to all but the most dedicated gun enthusiasts.

Basing this 'recoil penalty' on the weapon's damage rating is simply an easy and convenient way to model the wieldiness of the weapon. Many of the weapons in the RAW have special recoil modifiers built into them (such as the Ares Alpha), which could be applied to particularly well designed weapons if one so wished.

I have to admit I'm mostly interested in whether this change to the rules would have any significant impact on game balance, either positive or negative, rather than how closely they model real life (as we can probably all agree that there are many aspects where the SR4 model falls down).

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 23 2007, 09:23 PM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

the thing is, as AE said, damage code is not a good basis for what you're talking about. smaller weapons do not necessarily have smaller damage codes. you'd be better off basing this on the class of the weapon (light pistol, heavy pistol, SMG, AR, etc.) if you didn't want to make up new stats for every single weapon.

+Quote Post
Random
post Apr 24 2007, 12:05 AM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 11,511

You seem to want to discount those around you. If you simply want new rules that's your choice, However if you want a realistic system then as others have said the power of a gun does not directly translate into its weight. As for Austere Emancipator's view on body and strength differing from yours, you may be making a big assumption.

I personally have taken a 9 year old boy and girl to the range and taught them to fire a Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum with 240gr loads with a MV of 1000-1400FPS. (For those of you not familiar this is a more powerful version of "Dirty Harry's gun, with full power solid loads)

They were able to shoot quite well, especially since they had few Psycological preconcieved ideas about what they could or could not handle. Neither played sports or worked out and both were well under 100lbs. If thats not a body and strength of 1 or 2 I don't know what is.

The quote above "Small children need compact, polymer frame single stack .380 ACPs with really light triggers" I would assume reffers more to the childs small hand size as well as the comfort level for a trigger pull. I am 200+ pounds and decent strength and even I preffer a light trigger.

A troll useing a man sized gun would be at the same minuses as a kid for nearly the same reasons. The gun was not made for the trolls size or the sensitivity of his finger strength. He would find it impossible to fire many normal weapons because he couldn't get his finger in the trigger guard, the saftey was not positioned so he couldn't reach it with his thumb (IE, his palm is covering the saftey), or the slide is ripping off his fingers and flesh because it is above the handle grip.

A gun designed for a small person to hold can fire pretty much the same power loads as most "manly guns". Just look at some of the derringers and the rounds they fire.

As for recoil, in reality recoil does not effect the first round in either a burst or single shot mode (Except psycologicly). As long as the weapon is aimed well, then the first round will find it's target.

Random Unicorn

+Quote Post
Demon_Bob
post Apr 24 2007, 12:17 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,226

My biggest problem with adding recoil reduction rules using Str and Body is that it tends to encourage the Troll Combat Mook.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Apr 24 2007, 12:29 AM
Post #12

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...I've fired the Redhawk/Blackhawk series with little if any control difficulty and definitely do not consider myself having even the "average human:" 3 Strength. On top of it I also have arthritis which would put me at an Infirm flaw of rating 2 (in SR3 terms).

[edit]
As to recoil mods, I liked the way Cannon Companion handled it in SR3. We can only hope it reappears in Arsenal

+Quote Post
Narmio
post Apr 24 2007, 12:46 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,053

I reintroduced the old "One point of recoil per each full 4 points of Strength" rule, and it seems to have worked well. It gives sams and gunbunnies the incentive to put their strength up at 4, at least, which does seem to be missing otherwise.

Recoil isn't such a big deal in SR4, and this seems to be enough to remove most of
what you're worried about without too much extra hassle of new rules and provoking the gun nuts.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Apr 24 2007, 08:11 AM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 98

I was taught to shoot sometime around the age of 10. Handguns ranging in recoil from .22 to .44, and 12 gauge shotguns are what I learned on. I was not a particularly large 10 year old (hit my growth spurt around 12). Recoil certainly didn't affect my accuracy on the first shot, although I'll not claim my refire rate with the .44 was particularly high.

One issue you've got here is that you've just created a system where any trog is essentially immune to the effects of your rule, and one that actually puts more than the bare minimum amount of points into body and strength is capable of using something like a Smartgun on full auto all the time, without really eating much in the way of penalties. I hate to imagine what they could do with something like a White Knight LMG.

Smartgun has 2 points of built-in RC, ignoring the folding stock because Mr. Ork Ganger is holding his Smartgun sideways out the window of his buddy's car. Smartgun base damage is 5, making a long burst, under your system, give 14 points of recoil. "Sprawl Ganger" archetype in the BBB has 7 body, 6(7) strength (racial equivalent of a 4 in both stats, with a cyber boost on strength). He goes through ammo pretty quick, but he dishes out 14(p) after autofire every turn, with no penalties.

Even if he was running Ork average stats (6 body, 5 strength is like 3/3 for a human), when you add in the 2 points of recoil on the Smartgun, he can rip it up on autofire with a grand total of -1 for a penalty, or 0 if he actually uses the stock of the SMG. If he "dumps" Strength, his minimum is 3 points... still only a -2 if he uses the stock, and we're assuming he dumped it for something besides Body.

This gets sillier with Trolls... racial average troll (7/7) can fire an Ultimax HMG 2 from the shoulder on full auto with zero penalties. Slap a scope on top, and he's capable of engaging targets out to 3/4 of a mile with zero penalties imposed upon him by his weapon. Most games have balance issues when you get a character in play who can dump a 16(p)/-3 hit every turn to anything inside of 1200 meters with no penalties.

+Quote Post
TheOneRonin
post Apr 24 2007, 05:04 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 5,729

Real autofire for those who think Hollywood full-auto depictions are accurate:

HK G3 Battle Rifle (7.62x51mm NATO)
Full-Auto

HK G36 Assault Rifle (5.56x45mm NATO)
Full-Auto

HK MP5 Submachine Gun (9x19mm Parabellum)
Full-Auto

HK MP5SD Integrally Suppressed SMG (9x19mm Parabellum)
Full-Auto

HK UMP Submachinegun (.45 ACP)
Full-Auto

HK21E Belt Fed Machinegun (7.62x51mm NATO)
Full-Auto

HK MP7 PDW (4.6x30mm)
Full-Auto

To borrow a phrase beloved by one of the DS Forums Gun Experts, Shadowrun Full-auto and recoil rules have "six pounds of dick" in common with real life.

+Quote Post
TheOneRonin
post Apr 24 2007, 05:08 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Oh, and this one too because I like the P90 and to prove that I know HKs aren't the only firearms out there:

FN P90 PDW (5.7x28mm)
Full-Auto

+Quote Post
Random
post Apr 24 2007, 08:23 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 11,511

QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
Oh, and this one too because I like the P90 and to prove that I know HKs aren't the only firearms out there:

FN P90 PDW (5.7x28mm)
Full-Auto

Nice footage "TheOneRonin". Between that, "Shrike30", and "Kyoto Kid"s experiance those who have bought into the hollywood/SR recoil myths may be enlightened as to what reality is like. I was begining to wonder if me and "Austere Emancipator" were the only "Gun nuts" :twirl: around.

I am sometimes surprised at the misconceptions on firearms when in most areas you can got to a local range and use one of their guns for as little as $20 an hour. For those who have never fired a weapon I would recomend it (Weather your pro or antigun) just to know a bit about them.

Random

+Quote Post
ornot
post Apr 24 2007, 08:48 PM
Post #18

Running Target

Those clips were very interesting. I also appreciate that realistically speaking even a relatively small and lightly built person can fire a larger weapon. I admit that my own experience with handguns is nil, although I have fired shotguns and automatic rifles (12 gauge clay pigeon shooting, and an SA80 alongside its LSW variant if you really want to know. Even that little experience makes me somewhat unusual here in the UK).

But as TheOneRonin points out, the SR4 system is not real but an attempt to model, somewhat cinematically but in a balanced manner, professional criminals in a future dystopia.

Just to clarify my point, I was looking at a change to the rules to make strength more important and discourage casual use of the larger guns. The change does fall down rather when faced with trogs, due to their enhanced strength and body, (thanks for your comments Shrike30 and Demonbob). I figure that trogs should be able to better wield larger guns, but giving them such an advantage is unbalanced. I shall ponder the situation more.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 24 2007, 09:01 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

i think the SR3 method of simply having high Str provide recoil compensation (personally, i think high Bod would make more sense, but whatever) is your best option. the system you've proposed is neat; i like the fact that it re-uses stats for different purposes. and it's not more unrealistic than some other parts of the game. but i wouldn't use it myself, because i prefer to reinforce realism than add to non-realism.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Apr 24 2007, 09:04 PM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 98

I actually preferred it linked to Strength. Bod is closer to stamina and endurance, whereas sheer physical bulk would likely be more directly related to Strength.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 24 2007, 09:10 PM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

i don't see that as being the case. body allows you to absorb hits, resist toxins, and other matters that are size-related. a gymnast can be quite strong without being bulky at all. at some point, for realism, extremes of strength should be related to a rise in body, but it's still body that denotes bulk.

+Quote Post
ornot
post Apr 24 2007, 09:22 PM
Post #22

Running Target

In the body vs. strength arguement, I admit that I come down on body. Body does limit the armour you can wear, for example. But from a balance point of view Strength would be best, since you get so many perks out of a high Body already, and very little benefit from strength.

+Quote Post
cREbralFIX
post Apr 24 2007, 10:31 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,150

No amount of strength (or body) can stop recoil. It is so fast that the body cannot do anything about it.

Managing recoil is done with good technique and technology. You train your eye and body for it. I cannot really describe it...it's more of a physical and mental "feeling" than anything else. You know it's coming, then it's gone. Even with fully automatic weapons, you have to use good technique.

One idea is to change recoil modifiers depending upon skill level, technology, and weapon type. For example, the new Russian AK changes the internals of the bolt such that it fires exceptionally fast. It fires so quickly that two shots feel like one (there's that "feeling" thing again). It loads the second round as the bolt goes back, thereby eliminating the need for it to go all the way back (and slam into the frame). Another new technology (mentioned in another gun thread) redirects the bolt downward. This seems to me to be the most innovative design, but I have yet to shoot the gun.

Another innovation from STI, is the "True Sight" (www.stiguns.com. Click "Complete Guns" -> click "True Sight" -> click the center picture of the front sight). It's really a trick: the front sight doesn't move, allowing your eye to stay with it during recoil.

The oldest trick in the book is to just add weight to the front of the gun. For handguns, the *second oldest* trick is to grip the gun as high as possible. Another is to use a polymer frame that flexes during recoil.

My vote for this would simply change recoil compensation modifiers as follows:

Skill Level TN Modifier from the book (ie: add to the book's normal recoil mods)
1 +3
2 +2
3 +1
4 0
5 -1
6 -1
7 -2
8+ -3

Note: This only applies to recoil modifiers and will not modify the TN to hit for the first shot or anything covered by mechanical recoil compensation.

Technology is already accounted for in this system.

So, if a shooter with a Pistol 5 fires two rounds in the same action, normally he would have a +1 to the second shot. Due to his skill level, the second shot would have no modifier. If the pistol had a compensator (gas vent 1), then this rule would not apply.

+Quote Post
cREbralFIX
post Apr 24 2007, 10:40 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,150

I haven't decided about weapon type. Power of the cartridge certainly affects recoil. However, it may just get too complex to be practical. I'd rather have a simple system that I can remember on the fly.

+Quote Post
TheOneRonin
post Apr 27 2007, 02:29 PM
Post #25

Running Target

QUOTE (cREbralFIX)
No amount of strength (or body) can stop recoil.  It is so fast that the body cannot do anything about it.

Managing recoil is done with good technique and technology.  You train your eye and body for it.  I cannot really describe it...it's more of a physical and mental "feeling" than anything else.  You know it's coming, then it's gone.  Even with fully automatic weapons, you have to use good technique.

Just to clarify for our viewers, managing recoil is real life has VERY little to do with the body "absorbing" the recoil impulse force. It has FAR more to do with rapidly reacquiring your site picture AFTER the recoil throws you off. Being "prepared" for incoming recoil doesn't really help you...it's recovering from it that helps. And for what it's worth, that's why Raygun and I (and prob several others) feel like Reaction is a better stat for mitigating the effects of recoil than Str or Bod.

One idea is to change recoil modifiers depending upon skill level, technology, and weapon type.

This does make a certain amount of sense. But to properly model in SR would be a serious pain. Subcompact Heavy Pistols should have heavier felt recoil than their full-size brethren, Carbines will have more felt recoil than full size rifles in the same caliber, SMGs will generally be heavier and have less felt recoil than HPs that are chambered for the same ammunition, etc. And how would you quantify the difference? In SR4, changing targets incurs a -2 dice pool penalty. If you only lose two dice for changing your point of aim to a completely different target, then you should never lose more dice than that for recoil. That doesn't give you much room, does it? As has been said before on these boards, there just isn't enough granularity in the system to support such a rule set.

For example, the new Russian AK changes the internals of the bolt such that it fires exceptionally fast.  It fires so quickly that two shots feel like one (there's that "feeling" thing again).  It loads the second round as the bolt goes back, thereby eliminating the need for it to go all the way back (and slam into the frame).

I think you are talking about the AN-94, which actually isn't a Kalashnikov at all, but Nikonova assault rifle. The super-fast two-round burst thing is more of a novelty than anything else.

The HK MP5/40 has a two-round burst setting as well, though doesn't feature the fancy 1800 cyclic RPM fire rate of the AN-94. Watch this video of the the MP5/40 in action. Pay attention to the muzzle when the shooter switches to two-round burst mode. Hardly any muzzle movement between the first and second shot. No fancy mechanics necessary.

Another new technology (mentioned in another gun thread) redirects the bolt downward.  This seems to me to be the most innovative design, but I have yet to shoot the gun.

You are talking about the TDI Kriss Super V. I have a tendency to believe that having the bore of the weapon more in line with the arm of the shooter is what mitigates the muzzle rise more so than the weight thingy that directs the "recoil forces" downward. Maybe some of the resident Gun Experts on this forum might have more to say about that.

Another innovation from STI, is the "True Sight" (www.stiguns.com.  Click "Complete Guns" -> click "True Sight" -> click the center picture of the front sight).  It's really a trick:  the front sight doesn't move, allowing your eye to stay with it during recoil.

Oh good lord...these STI guys are completely full of shit. Or at least their marketing people are.

QUOTE (STI Website)
Using a 4.15 slide, the TruSight has a faster cycle rate than a traditional 5" pistol.

Riiiiight. If that has ANY effect whatsoever on cyclic rate, you won't notice it seeing as how your finger isn't going to pull the trigger anywhere near as rapidly as the action of the weapon is able to cycle.

QUOTE (STI Website)
The TruSight barrel system has the sight dovetailed to the barrel rather than the slide for quicker front sight pick up.

WTF? How is having the front site post attached to the barrel instead of the slide going to affect my front site pickup? That's like saying a toothbrush made at an angle makes it easier to reach your back teeth. Oh wait...people believe that shit too.

QUOTE (STI Website)
The TruSight barrel incorporates an expansion chamber that does not add any weight to the pistol; in fact it weighs less than other pistols comparable to it in its class.

Someone please tell these morons that lighter weapon = more felt recoil. Exactly HOW does that help???

QUOTE (STI Website)
The Trusight comes standard with features such as a stainless steel STI knuckle relief hi-ride grip safety, stainless steel STI ambi-thumb safeties, and aluminum magwell for QUICKER RELOADING.

That just takes the fucking cake. I'm supposed to believe that an aluminum magwell will help me to reload more quickly??? Sorry folks, but I don't take kindly to having my intelligence insulted by someone who is trying to sell me something (happens a lot, sad to say).

My vote for this would simply change recoil compensation modifiers as follows:

Skill Level    TN Modifier from the book (ie:  add to the book's normal recoil mods)
1                +3
2                +2
3                +1
4                0
5                -1
6                -1
7                -2
8+              -3

Note:  This only applies to recoil modifiers and will not modify the TN to hit for the first shot or anything covered by mechanical recoil compensation.

Technology is already accounted for in this system.

So, if a shooter with a Pistol 5 fires two rounds in the same action, normally he would have a +1 to the second shot.  Due to his skill level, the second shot would have no modifier.  If the pistol had a compensator (gas vent 1), then this rule would not apply.

My problem with this is that skill level already affects how much of an impact recoil has on hit probability. The guy with AGI 3 and Pistols 3 is going to feel a 2 point recoil penalty a LOT more than a guy with AGI 5 and Pistols 7. Your system simply widens the gap between experts and amateurs.

And for the record, since this is a Fourth Edition forum, your numbers are backwards. In SR4, penalties don't modify the TN (which is always 5), they modify your dice pool. So your chart should have the shooter losing dice with a low skill, and gaining dice with a high skill.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:20 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.