Reply to this topicStart new topic
> best contacts
djinni
post Apr 27 2007, 03:13 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,934

I had a bunch of points left, and bought a bunch of contacts...the GM stated no fixers, or Mr. Johnson are available, but everything else is fine.
what should I get? this is what I picked.
Mechanic
Bartender
Corporate Scientist
Corporate official
Government Official
Mafia Don
Yakuza Don
Detective
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Apr 27 2007, 03:15 AM
Post #2

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

Depending on what area you're in (as in, who's in power) I'd go with one of the crime bosses. Goverment officials can be great too depending on the campaign.

+Quote Post
MaxHunter
post Apr 27 2007, 03:32 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

From: Montevideo, in the elusive shadows of Latin America
Member No.: 7,727

Having a friendly cop on your side can be real useful too.

Cheers,

Max

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Apr 27 2007, 04:17 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

So much depends on context... If you don't have a Hacker in your PC group, you should definitely consider getting a good hacker contact. Heck, even if you do have one, they're still usually pretty good. After all, at least that way if your team Hacker gets cacked or otherwise incapacitated, you still have someone you can contact to spoof your datatrail for a while. At the absolute least they're potentially one more guy with a great data search pool on your side, and hackers have funny ways of knowing way more than they should about people. Something to consider, although having a mechanic means you probably won't really need someone to upgrade and repair your comm for you, since a good one should have a decent hardware skill. Hackers are still a great source of software and Electronic warfare gear though.

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Apr 27 2007, 05:05 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 392

Don't overlook Ganger contacts either. They can do more than you'd think.

+Quote Post
WhiskeyMac
post Apr 27 2007, 05:15 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,789

Get a catgirl stripper contact cause it's ... um ... helpful. Yeah, that's it :D

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Apr 27 2007, 05:43 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
Get a catgirl stripper contact cause it's ... um ... helpful. Yeah, that's it :D

well, let's face it... you're going to aquire a fixer contact, a fence contact, gang contacts, corp contacts, government contacts, organised crime contacts, smuggler contacts, hacker contacts, mechanic contacts, talismonger contacts, street doc contacts, etc over time simply by being a shadowrunner.

catgirl strippers, on the other hand... well, you don't often hear of people aquiring contacts like that without going out of their way to do it :P

+Quote Post
Magus
post Apr 27 2007, 05:50 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,644

QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)

Dikoted!! :rotfl:

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Apr 27 2007, 07:59 AM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 948

Heh, I once had a character (dead now after taking a manaball to the face after becoming unconcious) that had a professor in magical theory as a contact at Seattle university. The character had use of that contact ONCE but it was also THE contact we needed at the time. Great fun it was.

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Apr 27 2007, 02:08 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

One of the guys in my group made *great* use of a reporter contact.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Apr 27 2007, 02:44 PM
Post #11

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Look at the skill sets of the contacts. What they have and you need, then that's the contact you want. If your GM is forbidding the Fixer and the Johnson, then use the Fence(similar contact to the Fixer) and the Company Man or the Government Agent(similar contact to the Johnson). In a pinch, you could use the Blogger, he has "Chosen Specialty Topic 5" which can be used to match the Fixer on 1 of his rank 4 skills.

+Quote Post
Gustave
post Apr 27 2007, 03:19 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 8,774

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Thor Shot operator at loyalty 6. You might only get 1 use out of him, but it's sure to be a good use.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Apr 27 2007, 03:27 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

Best contacts?

w/ Thermo, Low-light, Flare comp, Smartlink, Ultrasound, Vision Magnification, Vision enhancement 3, and image link. Availability 36R baby.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Apr 27 2007, 04:29 PM
Post #14

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Street Snitch
HR Director for a Cleaning/Landscaping Company
Decker (Yeah its been said before, but this one is just too important not to have, after all can you really trust your team's Decker?)
Drycleaner

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Apr 27 2007, 05:42 PM
Post #15

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (Demerzel)
Best contacts?

w/ Thermo, Low-light, Flare comp, Smartlink, Ultrasound, Vision Magnification, Vision enhancement 3, and image link.  Availability 36R baby.

...not to threadjack (OK but just for a moment), but what they really needed was to establish capacity limits on Sense mod gear similar to how they handled sensors. Somehow all this stuff on a pair of contacts would turn them into mini-"Coke bottle bottoms" as we used to call thick lens glasses.

[edit]

...now as to contacts of the living kind...

Media contacts can come in pretty handy as they have for some of my characters. Also One player who's character didn't have a vehicle had a Cab Driver as a buddy (SR3). Not only is a hack good for getting around but also for info as well. My character Tomoe Sasaki had the owner of Emerald Towncars as a Buddy, so she was able to get a chauffeured vehicle when we needed to go to those upscale locations.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Apr 27 2007, 05:46 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (Demerzel)
Best contacts?

w/ Thermo, Low-light, Flare comp, Smartlink, Ultrasound, Vision Magnification, Vision enhancement 3, and image link.  Availability 36R baby.

...not to threadjack (OK but just for a moment), but what they really needed was to establish capacity limits on Sense mod gear similar to how they handled sensors. Somehow all this stuff on a pair of contacts would turn them into mini-"Coke bottle bottoms" as we used to call thick lens glasses.

Which is why I prefer goggles; less chance of them getting knocked off in a fight, and you can pack all sorts of neato stuff in there.

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Apr 27 2007, 08:37 PM
Post #17

Runner

Eh, those contact lenses would be balanced, when you consider that any GM worth their salt will make them so hard to acquire that you'll regret ever going for them. I mean, really, nothing in those contacts would be black market material on it's own, but a combined -36- availability? Better break out the 2 pound brick of 6 siders boys, we're going to be making rolls all night, and you still probably won't get them handed over in a pretty package.

+Quote Post
djinni
post Apr 27 2007, 10:15 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,934

QUOTE (Whipstitch)
Eh, those contact lenses would be balanced, when you consider that any GM worth their salt will make them so hard to require that you'll regret ever going for them. I mean, really, nothing in those contacts would be black market material on it's own, but a combined -36- availability? Better break out the 2 pound brick of 6 siders boys, we're going to be making rolls all night, and you still probably won't get them handed over in a pretty package.

but that's only if you are buying them illegally.
you can just order them and they'll arrive in 3-5 business days

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Apr 27 2007, 10:24 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

QUOTE (djinni @ Apr 27 2007, 03:15 PM)
but that's only if you are buying them illegally.
you can just order them and they'll arrive in 3-5 business days

QUOTE (p.301 SR4)
The Availability rating represents how easy (or hard) it is to acquire a piece of equipment.  Availability represents a range of factors: scarcity, legality, distribution issues, and so on.

There's nothing that says the legality of an item allows someone to somehow bypass the availability.

+Quote Post
Luddite
post Apr 27 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 11,195

I think he meant 6-8 weeks.

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Apr 27 2007, 10:41 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

An oft over looked contact is a street doc, some one who you can trust to patch you up at any time of night, and with out screwing up your cyber or implanting tracking beacons.

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Apr 27 2007, 11:27 PM
Post #22

Runner

Yeah. Having a super high availability means that while an item may be legal, it's not necessarily very um, available. :wobble:

Really though, availability is on there for a reason. If you sketch out a set of dream contact lenses that has an availibilty that is more than 50% higher than that of Seven-7, then your GM is being a bit of a Santa Claus if he just lets you waltz out of the Crime Mall with nary a roll, even if you can get a license for each and every augmentation on that particular pair of lenses.

+Quote Post
6thDragon
post Apr 28 2007, 12:27 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,605

I have a character with a 5/5 LoneStar Organized Crime Division Chief as a contact. He has come in handy more than once. Also I'm a big fan of the Investigative Reporter. Arms Dealers make great contacts too. It's not as easy to make characters with lots of contacts at character gen in SR4, but in SR3 I had a character with twenty-some contacts. A few other of my favorites were the Seattle Hilton Assistant Manager, Bank Loan Officer (great for credit checks when doing investigative type runs or for a small loan in a pinch), Realestate Developer (great for getting blueprints efficiently without raising an alarm).

Then this is always the running joke with my group a Talismonger who is owner of a shop called the Home O' Fetishes.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Apr 28 2007, 12:54 AM
Post #24

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (6thDragon)
It's not as easy to make characters with lots of contacts at character gen in SR4

...which is why I and most of the other people I know use Blakkie's contact rule or some variant thereof.

Yeah I certainly miss the days of having half of an entire page of my character dossier devoted to contacts. Now you really have to pick and choose carefully. The other downside of this is if you want that offbeat contact for concept colour, (like my Merc Gracie's Reverend Mother Maria who ran the orphanage she grew up in) you are pretty much wasting your BPs.

+Quote Post
fool
post Apr 28 2007, 03:15 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,316

depending on the skills of our group, a mage especially a mage with a heal spell can be really important. oor able to do ritual spell tracking or anything else a mage does.
If you're already a mage (and even if you don't have a lot of left over bp's) a good street doc is incredibly important.
Joy girls are of course classic my face character's contacts were all former dancers at her strip bar.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:38 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.