Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun: The Resistance, Story Line Help
youngtusk87
post May 1 2007, 02:56 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,525

'Ey folks, new to the forums. Anyway, my buddies and I have entertained the idea of a Shadowrun campaign in which the characters play an insurgency group. I decided to run it, but i'm still having trouble with setting up the backstory.

I know I want it to take place in a country thats been invaded and is now occupied by the invaders. The people are oppressed and exploited, the living conditions poor, the Matrix is monitored and censored, no one is let in or out, and the general scenery is grim and dark. I know how I want the setting, but I don't know how I should go about setting up the backstory/history to the game. Should the occupants be corporate or a foreign imperialist country? Why are they occupying that specific country? Where should the game take place?

Think Half-Life 2, Children of Men, and Gears of War in terms of setting.

Any help with the backstory, or suggestions for the plot would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 1 2007, 03:05 AM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

You could set it in any of the Native American Nations, or in post-Ghostwalker Denver.

~J

+Quote Post
Angelone
post May 1 2007, 03:16 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 7,409

Poland would work. Any of those Chinese city-states would do the trick. How about San Francisco or San Diego? Which is held be Japan and the Azzies IIRC.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post May 1 2007, 03:19 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

My vote: Anytown USA.

Well, Anytown UCAS or anytown CAS, or pick your favorite city that you're comfortable with running a game in and play it like, "The Siege" (1998 Film). Where some horrible thing happens, pick your poison, terrorism, ghouls, shedim, insects. Not so bad they nuke the place (not bug city), but enough that they declare Martial Law.

Then you can have this everpresent tension. While the military is there imposing martial law, doing VeryBadThings™ to potentially very innocent people; they are also there for a very good purpose, to prevent the spread of your favorite metathreat.

Your characters, being the good little neo-anarchists they are must fight the power and stand against the millitary oppression, and at the same time, protect their friends/neighbors/relatives from the threat of the metathreat of your choice.

Nothing like a good three-way :vegm:.

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 1 2007, 03:34 AM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

the Tsimshian / Salish-Sidhe would be a good choice. they have disputed borders, and a very nasty war brewing.

+Quote Post
Therumancer
post May 1 2007, 05:28 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 11,505

The priorities in an insurgent/rebels type campaign are a bit differant than a regular campaign so rewarding PCs can be trickier. However for settings I recommend the following:

1. IF YOU DON'T MIND MESSING WITH THE CANON!

A lot of GMs don't like to mess with the canon in the setting, and thus try and keep things small scale so all plot elements can remain "intact" when they get new supplements and such. Thus they don't play with anything big.

If you don't mind playing on a large scale, have Japan invaded. Given the amount of time it takes to build ships/submarines/planes/etc... I can't see Japan having much in the way of a substantial "battlefield" military ready. On the other hand right now China (which hates Japan, and has grudges going back centuries) has been involved in tensions with the USA and is building up a military while rattling their sabers. They have launched things like the new "Yuan" class Submarine which is apparently roughly on part with the US "Seawulf" and have proven their abillity to "Tag" one of our Aircraft Carriers (The "Kitty Hawk") despite it's defenses. Not to mention those laser-blinders they have been using on satellites. The point is, they have an increasingly powerful military.

I'd imagine in SR Japan is drunk on sovreignty with the USA forces more or less gone, and the "Corperate Court" maintaining order while Japan grows increasingly Fat, wealthy, and advanced.

It's quite possible that more powerful nations like China were biding their time to make sure their ducks were in a row before launching an invasion. Ignoring all the policies of the Corperate Court and such, imagine China launching a major Blitz on the island chain with the intent of capturing it and occupying it.

More or less unopposed a few state of the art Chinese Subs manage to get close to the Japanese mainland and unleash biological weapons. For the sake of making it cool, I'd probably have them create zombies out of the people they kill. They aim mostly at the population centers (like Tokyo) and leave the population in the rural areas more or less intact for the moment. After letting the Zombies finish off those that resist the virus somehow in the major cities the Chinese military lands and begins a gradual genocidal purge of the rural areas. The only survivors being sent to televised death/rape/torture camps in the name of national vengeance.

At the same time this goes on Chinese Corps launch a multi-pronged surprise attack at all the Japanacorps around the globe in violation of the corperate court. Largely due to the eventual involvement of the other (largely non-asian) AAA class corperations the purge is put down, however given the sheer size of China and the persistance it becomes very difficult for anyone to get involved in the conflict. Despite the media being more or less in sympathy with Japan (at least that coming from outside of Asia) and pressure put on the corps backing the Chinese Goverment continues to persist. The corperate court becomes
deadlocked in deciding what to do, and while the sales of the Chinese corps
suffer internationally, they maintain a big power base within Asia.

This pretty much creates an enviroment where you can justify very small amounts of Aid coming in from the rest of the world, albeit at great risk due to
the sheer size and power of China (this is their ballpark).

The PCs are mostly going to be operating out of the rural areas (likely how they survived), or perhaps the few remaining enviromentally controlled fastholds of the Japanacorp HQs in Japan (which are under constant siege from Zombies and Chinese military forces).

In addition to fighting the military the PCs can collect "evidence" to give to the Euro/UCAS Media to try and influance the Corperate Court to take more action, and perhaps end the deadlock.

You can also emulate "Survival Horror" as the PCs head into Zombie infested urban areas trying to recover technology. Indeed hiding in the sewer/subway system might be a good idea as it would allow them to move around to attack the military and would be partly "shielded" by the Zombies above. The PCs could use explosives to collapse tunnels and such after they strike to prevent pursuit.

It pretty much has all the elements your looking for. I largely thought of it because of other discussions (despite how it sounds in some of my threads I'm not Anti-Japan or anything, I'm just not a Japanaphille).

2. IF YOU WANT TO KEEP WITH THE CANON!

Join the Eco-Front! :)

If I remember there are all these little brushfire wars happening south of the old US Border between radical enviromentalists and Aztechnology and the like. Amazonia isn't especially hospitable (despite being a key player). But down here you've got a huge enemy for the PCs to fight (providing they are green enough in concept) and plenty of corps and such would would back them (just like Gangers) simply because they are messing with the Azzies.

Given that the Azzies are probably the most sick and jaded corperation out there when you get down to it, there are plenty of grotesque things the PCs could stop them from doing.

3. MORE CANON!

Elf Warz!

There is supposed to be a pretty big resistance in Tir Taingire by those who believe a change of goverment is in order. Ultimatly it's basically the Pro-Elf Aryan Brotherhood, Vs. The Anti-non Elf KKK by outsider standards, but it's a conflict that could fuel some nasty conflicts within a civilized backdrop (if that is what your looking for). Arguably all sides are nasty, but if all the PCs are elves, who cares? :)

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 1 2007, 05:37 AM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

QUOTE (Therumancer)
3. MORE CANON!

Elf Warz!

There is supposed to be a pretty big resistance in Tir Taingire by those who believe a change of goverment is in order. Ultimatly it's basically the Pro-Elf Aryan Brotherhood, Vs. The Anti-non Elf KKK by outsider standards, but it's a conflict that could fuel some nasty conflicts within a civilized backdrop (if that is what your looking for). Arguably all sides are nasty, but if all the PCs are elves, who cares?

that's... really not accurate at all, man. it's not elven supremacists versus elf haters, it's elven supremacists versus who knows. could be other elven supremacists (*cough Tir na nOg cough*), could be anti-supremacists (Harlequin sorta fits that), could be someone else entirely (Lofwyr's in ur base killing ur keebs).

+Quote Post
youngtusk87
post May 1 2007, 06:02 AM
Post #8

Target

Thanks for the advice fellas, so far you've been a lot of help in giving me ideas and plots to work off of. Keep it coming!

+Quote Post
Therumancer
post May 1 2007, 06:18 AM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 11,505

Actually what I was talking about was Elf Supremicist Vs. Elf Supremacist <SP> I just started one as "Anti-Non Elf" which meant the same thing.

My understanding was that Tir Taingaire was run by a council of princes, however not all of the younger elves appreciate this form of goverment as it happens to be very exclusionary. The way the Tir is run isn't exactly a democracy.

Thus you have those who support the current goverment, up against those who support the pro-elven attitudes but believe someone else should be in charge.

One of the "Kellen Colt" Shadowrun Novels (I believe the last one "Fallen Angels") touched on this. They were using one of the goverment resistance groups to sneak into The Tir. It's been a while but I believe it was mentioned that they were helping a human (despite being accopanied by two elves) specifically to stick it to the authorities, knowing that as Shadowrunners they were likely to raise some general H@ll (and it was a good oppertunity to make some money for the cause). Not among the best books, but not the worst either.

In general my reading has lead me to believe (despite not having gone through either Tir book for a while) that almost everyone who winds up staying in either Tir for any length of time is either very Pro-Elf, or develops those attitudes. Humans and other metatypes being second class citizens (at best) and basically disallowed from various parts of the country entirely.

Thus the resistance basically comes down to "Business as usual, but with a differant manager". The differances would be mostly apparent to those within the Tir goverment, but from an outsider perspective it wouldn't matter that much, nor would life within the Tir change radically.

I mentioned it as a side option because it's the kind of campaign you could run where the PCs would probably be very careful. Where in the other campaigns the PCs might run around blowing stuff up left and right, and letting loose with heavy weapons/acting as paramilitary fighters, the Tir campaign would be one where the resistance would be more undercover and "intellectual" in it's approach. It would favor smooth assination, and try and avoid causing too much in the way of collateral damage because it wants to take over, and doesn't want the people as a whole to see the new management (if they succeed) being the result of a terrorist Coup.

At least that's what I was thinking.

>>>----Therumancer--->

+Quote Post
youngtusk87
post May 1 2007, 08:07 AM
Post #10

Target

Indeed, when I say resistance I mean covert operations. Assassinations, demolitions on military targets, raids on military supplies, and general disruption of the occupant's forces. No terrorism, no out in the open run-and gunning, and very few heavy weapons.

+Quote Post
Athanatos
post May 1 2007, 12:48 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 11,228

Um, people the Tir Tairngire revolution is already over. The resistance won and Lugh went running like a panz with quite a number of qhosts on his tail, wishing for his head.

China is so balkanized that it probably couldn't effectively invade Japan, atleast not in a united front as a number of the nations despise eachother.

A large portion of the armed forces of one of the nations that used to be part of China departs to invade JIS, The invading nation is then probably immediately invaded by unfriendly neighbors.

China invades and Ryumyo Decides to eat "Lung's wayward children."
He's Trying to be a dominate force in JIS and other areas, and he despises and constantly opposes Lung, who is in China!

I should probably have asked whether you play 3rd or 4th edition before posting the above though.

However I believe that canonwise there are plenty of nations that are still at war. Or at the very least on less than pleasant terms. Any of the above mentioned Asian Nations, Atzlan/Yukaton if I remember right, and there are numerous resistance forces in Eastern Europe.

Don't forget Atzlan/Everyone though lol. GhostWalker and a number of other major players would be quite pleased if you work towards overthrowing the Atzlan government, as long as you aren't obviously worse.

And the Resident Evil/Shaun of the Dead, etc. Scenario works in AnyTown Earth lol. :evil: It would certainly be an interesting campaign, a specially developed HMHVV Virus would certainly be a good biological weapon for such an attack. Or Experimentation involving a captive town and Secret Organization/Government/Terrorists.

Resident Evil with mages fireballing zombies! :read:

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post May 1 2007, 03:11 PM
Post #12

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...the Balkans. Currently I have Croatia occupied by Serbia (since 2051) which is a major focus of the campaign I am currently running. SoE, left the Balkans fairly wide open more by circumstance than design. One of the things they do mention is that is it a region in turmoil where governments rise and disappear with regularity.

I have written an extensive background on the Croatian Resistance and the Serb occupiers, a lot of which stems from studies of the 1990's war.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post May 1 2007, 05:33 PM
Post #13

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

QUOTE (mfb @ Apr 30 2007, 11:34 PM)
the Tsimshian / Salish-Sidhe would be a good choice. they have disputed borders, and a very nasty war brewing.

I'd go for that too.

Focusing specifically on an urban guerrilla/insurgency setting:

Depending on if you are SR3 or SR4, you either have the border war/police state of Tsimshian (in Kitimat), or if you are SR4 you have occupied Tsimshian.

The Algonkian-Manitou (i think) also had a war thing going. You could center your campaign around the bombing of the political headquarter place... I'm hazy on the details, but basically the rebels blew up this building, and in terms of scale, it was bigger than 9/11.

The phillipines/Huk also have insugency, though it's harder to get the Children of Men urban vibe going, things are a little differant over there.

If you don't mind going retro, the EuroWars will fulfill your wildest dreams of urban warfare, though as was mentionned, 2060 Poland will do the trick perfectly also.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post May 1 2007, 05:51 PM
Post #14

Bushido Cowgirl

..agreed, there is a lot of good run potential in Divided Poland.

@Athanatos: If you are running a pre Crash 2.0 scenario, then setting things in the Tir and involving the Rinelle would work. You just need players that are good at checking their post 2063 knowledge at the door.

+Quote Post
Darkest Angel
post May 1 2007, 07:42 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,062

I'm running exactly this kind of campaign in CalFree under Saito, mostly around San Francisco/Oakland area. Hope to get the group to move about a bit more the state, but they've only really started out.

The biggest problem they're going to have is getting funds for kit, so the group are going to have to find sideline trades to bring in the money; one way is of course through Shadowruns for the corps and other groups opposed to Saito. There's also smuggling, liberation of equipment/paydata from corps/military facilities and so on.

Given they're facing proper military forces, I allowed a few choice bits of gear from the outset beyond standard rules, the Aztechnology Lasher and Walther MA2100 Sniper rifle being the two they've actually bothered with.

+Quote Post
TheRedRightHand
post May 1 2007, 10:32 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,412

If I was doing a campaign like this I would have it take place on an developed island that was part of a large nation. Maybe one of the Japanese islands, or in the Philippians.

I would have the island being taken over as part of a large military invasion attacking the nation as a whole. But then the invasion is stalled/stopped and the invading force is to hole up on the one landmass they have taken. They have enough troops/forces to keep the island indefinitely and repel any counterattacks.

So now the PC have to work from the inside to try and weaken the occupiers enough to allow the island to be retaken from the outside.

You could have all sorts of missions involved. From blowing up supply depots & taking out radar stations, defensive positions, etc... to building & training civilian resistance movements, planning large scale battles, clearing landing sites for incoming troops, hooking up with spy networks, or doing the spying themselves on the occupiers, trying to free important political captives, etc... the list goes on.

The megacorps could be involved on both sides of the fight, supplying troops and gear and mercenaries, etc... but with their shifting alliances and profit being their main goal who knows if you could really trust them.

Any then throw in random shadowrunners being sent to the island for different (cross purposes) that the PC's will ahve to deal with one way or another.

hmmm... now I want to do a campaign like this...

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post May 2 2007, 12:42 AM
Post #17

Bushido Cowgirl

Warning: to all participants in Rhapsody in Shadow, do not read spoiler.

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Gyro the Greek S...
post May 2 2007, 03:15 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,519

What about those in Chechnya?

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post May 2 2007, 03:02 PM
Post #19

Bushido Cowgirl

... I thought they were a part of the New Soviet again but I could be wrong. Need to pull out my copy of SoA

+Quote Post
MaxHunter
post May 2 2007, 04:47 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

From: Montevideo, in the elusive shadows of Latin America
Member No.: 7,727

actually, the real world has enough examples. I believe it is most important also to decide on the cultural background of the setting. Not everybody likes to play filipino rebels, nor all groups are comfortable with an all elf campaign.

After you have decided the setting, then watch the news for a while and you got it.

Example: Western American runners

-Green rebels vs. evil corporate state. Anycity USA

-freedom fighters vs. japanese supremacists. SF with Saito or Saito's replacement

-UCAS runners in a recently defeated Yucatán . Yucatán, Aztlan

-Ares operatives helping insurgency in Tsimshian, Yucatán, Tir, Africa, etc, etc.

Take a look at real history: the birth of Panama, the contras in Nicaragua, Guatemala. etc, etc, actually there are too many examples. And I have not said the runners are the "good guys" or anything like that.

Cheers,

Max

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post May 2 2007, 05:33 PM
Post #21

Bushido Cowgirl

...actually the the TT doesn't need to be all elf, particularly if it is set in Portland. One possible hook is when Jenna's protege is assassinated several days after being appointed to the council. Jenni is known to be fairly racist, especially towards humans.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post May 2 2007, 07:43 PM
Post #22

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Cuba. Make it Cuba. Instead of a blatant occupation, have the ruler of Cuba be an oppressive bourgeoisie corporate shill who has declared martial law. The runners are, of course, Communists. While I would be tempted to make two of the players be time-displaced Fidel Castro and Che Guevara, this may be a bit corny for you. But they have to be Communists.

Edit: And they have infinite grenades.

+Quote Post
MaxHunter
post May 3 2007, 02:32 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

From: Montevideo, in the elusive shadows of Latin America
Member No.: 7,727

:grinbig: :notworthy:

Cuba!!! Corporate Dictatorship!!! Communist Shadowrunners!!!! Brilliant.

Oh, this is too good! Now I want to start a new campaign!!!!!

Cheers,

Comrade Max

+Quote Post
youngtusk87
post May 3 2007, 04:01 AM
Post #24

Target

I don't want to involve communism, since corporations depend on the exploitation and freedom of capitalism, the Shadowrunners would have to be fighting both the military power as well as the corporate powers. Not to mention all the Shadowrunners who see themselves as dependent on Corporations' business. Personnaly, i'm looking for a resistance, not a revolution. More Iraq parallels.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 3 2007, 04:12 AM
Post #25

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Actually, corporations in Shadowrun depend on the absence of capitalism. I've got more on the topic to post as an essay later, but you might want to review the bits of the Neo-Anarchist's Manifesto that aren't completely addlebrained.

~J

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:31 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.