IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun is moving to a new company, Is anyone talking about this?
Shadow
post May 4 2007, 03:56 PM
Post #1

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,006

Moved my comments to the appropriate post.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post May 4 2007, 03:59 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,856

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=17320

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post May 4 2007, 04:02 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

Much of your answers are there. Highlights include:

Noone working on shadowrun now is going to leave, all the employees of FP will now work for IMR.

The reasons why aren't made public. I can't really extrapolate on rumors, but review that thread, there's also a great one at http://forums.classicbattletech.com/ though of course they aren't doing much talk specific to shadowrun, but there is a lot of general info about the changes.

Also there is a transcript of a live chat with a coupple answers to specific questions, as well as a coupple, "Sorry we can't answer that yet"s...

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post May 4 2007, 04:08 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

One thing that can be cleared up: the license changeover did not happen because of SR4 doing poorly. In fact, SR4 did very well. But a successful product isn't the only factor.

And yes, from all I've been told, this will be very good for the franchise. I'm looking forward to it. The devs I work with will not be changing (Rob, Peter, and Robyn), but the structure of the new company will make things much, much better for us. Remember, Rob didn't lose a franchise, he's going right on over to IMR. :)

+Quote Post
Lindt
post May 4 2007, 04:18 PM
Post #5

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

Overall I think its going to be a positive move. I kinda felt like some things got kicked around when Topps bought WizKids, and thus on down the line.

+Quote Post
Shadow
post May 4 2007, 04:20 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
One thing that can be cleared up: the license changeover did not happen because of SR4 doing poorly. In fact, SR4 did very well. But a successful product isn't the only factor.

Your right, money isn't the only factor, management is a big deal. I find it unbelivable that SR4 is "doing well". If it was doing well I could have gone to my local gaming store in San Diego California and bought a copy of SR4. Instead of being told for almost 5 months that is was "out of print"

So either it is doing well and is being mismanaged, or it isn't doing well. Either one would get the license yanked. And of course any official word is going to be bright and sunny since no one ever says the truth in business. My only hope is that the new company will not lead SR into further destruction.

Either way it spells bad news for us, since all sourcebooks will be put on hold for the forseable future.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post May 4 2007, 04:32 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

If it was doing well I could have gone to my local gaming store in San Diego California and bought a copy of SR4. Instead of being told for almost 5 months that is was "out of print"

This is outside my area of expertise, but as far as I know, SR4 is not out of print. I would think that term would mean it's not being printed anymore, which is certainly false. It could be out of stock, though, because it has gone through a few full print runs already and exhausted the stock of those runs.

But Adam would know those details better than I would.

So either it is doing well and is being mismanaged, or it isn't doing well.

"Mismanaged" is a loaded word. Keep in mind that the management of FanPro US was Rob and only Rob. He was the only full time employee for Shadowrun (alongside the one full time employee for Battletech). He ran the operations, oversaw the line, went to the conventions, etc. That's a lot of hats to be wearing for one employee.

IMR brings in a bigger staff so that Rob doesn't have to handle everything himself anymore. That strikes me as a good thing.

Either way it spells bad news for us, since all sourcebooks will be put on hold for the forseable future.

Actually, no, the hold is basically over.

+Quote Post
Shadow
post May 4 2007, 04:43 PM
Post #8

Really? Whens Arsenal coming out?

---

By Out of Print, I meant out of Stock. No one could order it, or tell me when they could order it. SRRPG stated that a 4th printing would be realesed at the end of January, when in reality it was April before it became availible.

For a book seller, out of stock with no print date is for all intent and purposes, "Out of Print". If you can't tell them when you are going to print another edition, then who says you are?

+Quote Post
Synner
post May 4 2007, 04:47 PM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 185

QUOTE (Shadow @ May 4 2007, 04:20 PM)
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ May 4 2007, 08:08 AM)

Your right, money isn't the only factor, management is a big deal. I find it unbelivable that SR4 is "doing well".

Unbelievable though it may be to you SR4 is (still) doing well. Core book sales continue to be strong and a significant portion of our 4th printing went to fulfill pending orders. By pretty much any standards SR4 is a success story in a uninspiring RPG market.

If it was doing well I could have gone to my local gaming store in San Diego California and bought a copy of SR4. Instead of being told for almost 5 months that is was "out of print"

SR4 was indeed temporarily out of stock between late-December and the first week of April (when the updated and errata'd 4th printing shipped). We fully expected to have the 4th printing in stores by early February but it too was delayed by recent developments.

For a book seller, out of stock with no print date is for all intent and purposes, "Out of Print". If you can't tell them when you are going to print another edition, then who says you are?

All vendors and distributors who had orders, and in fact anybody who bothered to ask or look it up, were kept up to date on the printing situation and expected reprint dates through normal avenues (including the distributor and FanPro's own retail page).

So either it is doing well and is being mismanaged, or it isn't doing well. Either one would get the license yanked. And of course any official word is going to be bright and sunny since no one ever says the truth in business. My only hope is that the new company will not lead SR into further destruction.

As other people have pointed out, the development team will be remaining in place and a lot of the administrative and commercial duties that the lead developer had to coordinate will be reassigned. I fully expect us to hit our stride in terms of release schedule, once the dust settles.

Publishing is on hold only for the very immediate future and will be resuming as soon as some final details are settled between all parties involved.

+Quote Post
Shadow
post May 4 2007, 04:49 PM
Post #10

Well, as always Sin, thanks for clearing up my naysaying :D I really, really hope it continues to do well, and even grows under the new company. Years and years of being lied to by "upper management" has made me bitter and crotchety.

+Quote Post
Platinum
post May 5 2007, 06:33 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 1,115

You guys sound like sony's pr team.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post May 5 2007, 10:25 PM
Post #12

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

QUOTE (Platinum)
You guys sound like sony's pr team.

Although hopefully without downloading viruses onto your computer. I try to avoid doing that.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 5 2007, 10:35 PM
Post #13

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

The rootkit was installed from local storage. Your evasive answer sounds like an admission of guilt to me.

I have inside information that this switch is being done to foil investigation into the growing number of freelancers sacrificed to dark gods. Beware!

~J

+Quote Post
Enigma
post May 7 2007, 02:42 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,812

It would get me purchasing books again if they went back to SR3 and forgot all this silliness that is SR4, but that's not going to happen. A compromise that I would like to see would be would be SR3 books released as PDF at a cost that is not prohibitive. The reason is that I would like to have them electronically, but since I own all the SR3 books in hardcopy I am not paying a stupid price to get them again.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post May 7 2007, 02:44 PM
Post #15

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Hells, I'd be happy if they just got more of the old sourcebooks into e-books, starting with Threats 2 of course. :cyber:

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 7 2007, 02:58 PM
Post #16

Manus Celer Dei

Well, "prohibitive" is a matter of opinion, but they've got the stated intention to release the entire back catalogue as PDF, IIRC.

~J

+Quote Post
Ravor
post May 7 2007, 03:01 PM
Post #17

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Well sure, but like everything Fourth Edition, it seems that turning Third into PDF has been moving at a pace that only an inebriated snail could admire.

+Quote Post
Chrome Shadow
post May 7 2007, 03:33 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,205

Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad...

+Quote Post
Adam
post May 7 2007, 04:36 PM
Post #19

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

PDF releases will continue, and hopefully at a quicker rate, once the license transition is complete ... and once I've gotten the summer convention books safely off to press. ;-)

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post May 7 2007, 04:59 PM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

Personally, I've seen at least one copy of SR4 in every major bookstore I've gone into within the last several months. This includes at least 3 seperate Barnes and Nobles and a Borders.

<edit> and this is in Long Beach, not that far north of SD :P

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 7 2007, 05:07 PM
Post #21

Manus Celer Dei

Well, I don't know about you, but for the vast majority of my life I never saw a copy of SR4 anywhere. No one even talked about their experiences with it—occasionally people would speculate, but it was impossible to find someone who had actually bought the thing. Clear sign of failure right there.

~J, playing the anecdote game to win

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:15 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.