Reply to this topicStart new topic
> spirit edge, is that right?
BrandedBandit
post May 4 2007, 09:03 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,573

according to spirit stats, they have edge equal to force. am i the only one that thinks this is extreme? its good for my mage, i guess, but wow, it just seems like too much. how should a gm decide when and how spirits use edge?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post May 4 2007, 09:06 PM
Post #2

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

IIRC, there is something concerning that in StreetMagic.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post May 4 2007, 09:06 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

As a GM I generally only use a spirits edge if it is in its own best interest. If a player is abusive to spirits, they save it for chances to escape (things like binding tests).

+Quote Post
Synner
post May 4 2007, 09:23 PM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 185

Street Magic p.95 addresses the issue of Spirit Edge use, while the Tweaking the Rules section on p. 31 proposes a weaker alternative.

+Quote Post
BrandedBandit
post May 4 2007, 09:28 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 11,573

thanks for the info. i will also mention: i forget where i saw it but i saw a thread about casting spells through astral projection and a new metamagic proposed to allow this while materializing. i think that would be too powerful, but it would be cool to have a summoner with spirits of men traveling with you through astral space. the spirits can materialize and sling some wicked spells. :D

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post May 4 2007, 09:57 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

QUOTE (BrandedBandit @ May 4 2007, 04:03 PM)
according to spirit stats, they have edge equal to force. am i the only one that thinks this is extreme? its good for my mage, i guess, but wow, it just seems like too much. how should a gm decide when and how spirits use edge?

Yes, and from what I remember the rules encourage you to. You're more likely to see one of your spirits using edge to whip your sorry butt EXTRA hard after a failed binding ritual than you are to see one drop some edge just to Conceal you better.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post May 4 2007, 10:11 PM
Post #7

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (Demerzel)
As a GM I generally only use a spirits edge if it is in its own best interest.  If a player is abusive to spirits, they save it for chances to escape (things like binding tests).

...something I will be using it for a lot more of as well. And man, failing a binding test can be sooooo bad for the mage. :vegm:

+Quote Post
knasser
post May 4 2007, 11:09 PM
Post #8

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (BrandedBandit)
according to spirit stats, they have edge equal to force. am i the only one that thinks this is extreme? its good for my mage, i guess.

No. Really, no it isn't. If a GM allows you to control spirits as if they were automatons then he's doing the spirits a disservice. Edge represents both utmost effort and a certain mystical luck / grace / fate. There's no reason a spirit should be spending it on behalf of some magician that is forcing it to do various tasks of no benefit to itself.

If magicians abuse their spirits, then they're going to get a nasty shock the first time one of them uses edge to resist a binding.

But a GM shouldn't be one sided. I had a beast spirit that was sent to kill four guards and was enjoying itself so much (I play Beast spirits as pretty blood-thirsty sometimes), that it stuck around after its service was complete and spent most of the rest of the mission storming round the base chasing and devouring terrified security guards and employees. If I think the spirit will enjoy what it's doing, then it might spend some edge at it.

But it's GM call. A magician can only tell a spirit what it's supposed to do, not determine whether the spirit is enthusiastic about the task or not.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post May 5 2007, 01:12 AM
Post #9

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

The use of Edge by spirits is discussed in SM, p. 95. There are some good guidelines there.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:56 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.