Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Autosofts
Ketchum
post May 7 2007, 04:54 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 589

Not sure if I'm just missing it, but does a rigger need a different set of autosofts for each drone/vehicle, or just one for his/her commlink? I noticed that the Drone Rigger archetype appears to have a single set for all drones, but I don't tend to trust the archetypes for rules judgments. :)

Thanks in advance!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post May 7 2007, 04:56 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

With the the exception of Manuever Autosofts, you can use one copy of an autosoft for every drone. Obviously a Doberman or Steel Lynx cannot use a rotorcraft manuever autosoft.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post May 7 2007, 05:54 PM
Post #3

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

QUOTE (X-Kalibur)
Obviously a Doberman or Steel Lynx cannot use a rotorcraft manuever autosoft.

Well, they could, but it would just be funny.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post May 7 2007, 05:57 PM
Post #4

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

It's far more fun to upgrade the 'legs' of a Steel Lynx to 'real' legs, then install some solid fuel rockets and add Maneuver Autosofts for both Pilot Anthromorph and Pilot Exotic Vehicle (Jumpjet), though.

+Quote Post
Aristotle
post May 7 2007, 06:01 PM
Post #5

Slacker Extraordinaire

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 997

This seems to be a point of contention. We've had other threads (I started one I think) regarding it. It appears, to me, that each drone needs it's own autosofts. The support for this, as it was explained to me, is in that different drones come prepackaged with autosofts. Others have mentioned that, even if this were the case, it doesn't take much effort to crack right protection and copy autosofts for your other drones. Then you fall into the realm of the individual GM picking apart which softs would work across different vehicle types and which would not. I remember thinking it was all a little muddled.

Maybe this is more cut and dry than I thought. I've admittedly not ready my book in a while, and I was trying to grasp other game concepts as well at the time.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post May 7 2007, 06:05 PM
Post #6

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

Of course each drone needs their own Autosofts running on it.
But still, nothing keeps you from cracking and copying, Pirate...

In the end, each team will only buy each Program/Skillsoft/Autosoft... once.
And there'S nothing wrong with that - sharing is caring.

+Quote Post
Starmage21
post May 7 2007, 08:57 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,448

I came across this problem earlier, and I calculated that the sample Drone Rigger has only paid for his autosofts one time.

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post May 7 2007, 09:11 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

QUOTE (Aaron)
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ May 7 2007, 11:56 AM)
Obviously a Doberman or Steel Lynx cannot use a rotorcraft manuever autosoft.

Well, they could, but it would just be funny.

"Hi, tech support, my drone keeps turning in circles and I can't figure out why?"

+Quote Post
Leehouse
post May 7 2007, 10:11 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 10,539

QUOTE (Starmage21)
I came across this problem earlier, and I calculated that the sample Drone Rigger has only paid for his autosofts one time.

This is the same thing I found, but it does pay for each Pilot, firewall, Signal, and response rating separately. So it pays for attributes separately but the autosofts(which act as skills) are purchased once, though personally I would require a different targeting autosoft for each type of gun(pistol, longarm, automatic, and heavy) if not each specific gun(which would be beneficial to guns that have secondary grenade launchers)

+Quote Post
Starmage21
post May 7 2007, 10:26 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

you could say that its not the weapon type thats programmed into the autosoft, but rather the ballistics information needed for the drone to calculate how to hit a target.

+Quote Post
Leehouse
post May 7 2007, 10:36 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 10,539

Actually looking at my book again it is rather clear on targeting, you need it for the category of firearm. Such as longarms, pistols, automatics, and heavy weapons so you can ignore my commentary on targeting.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post May 7 2007, 10:38 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

Well, any weapon a drone could use would be mounted to the drone, and since all weapons mounted to a vehicle uses Gunnery rather than the skill appropriate to its type then all the targeting autosofts are just like a Gunnery Skillsoft, but for drones.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post May 7 2007, 10:40 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

Hah, that's interesting that the Targeting Autosoft description says that you need one for each weapon type....

+Quote Post
Dentris
post May 8 2007, 11:28 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,691

You already solved this problem by looking at the archetype Drone Rigger. He only nhas one copy of each autosofts, which means he uses the same softs for all his drones.

+Quote Post
Starmage21
post May 8 2007, 12:19 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

as a player, you use Gunnery to fire the weapons when controlling the drone as a mounted weapon, but the Pilot program uses autosofts as it's skills and you need the proper autosoft.

If you had automatics mounted on 2 different drones, you'd only need 1 autosoft for it.

+Quote Post
Ketchum
post May 9 2007, 04:51 PM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 589

QUOTE (Dentris)
You already solved this problem by looking at the archetype Drone Rigger. He only nhas one copy of each autosofts, which means he uses the same softs for all his drones.

I take the archetypes with many, many grains of salt. I've found that basing my rules judgment entirely on the contents of the archetypes' sheets tends to lead me toward less than desirable results. :)

Thanks for the help on this one, guys. My group and I thank you.

+Quote Post
Glayvin34
post May 9 2007, 05:51 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,275

I don't know how many folks are still watching this thread, but does everyone else play with autosofts affecting response? It's hard when your drone has a Pilot of 3, that means you can only run 2 'softs without affecting initiative. And Pilot upgrades are expensive.

+Quote Post
silentmaster101
post May 9 2007, 05:56 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,863

thats how we play, but we make up for it by letting the rigger jack cars and sell em for cash.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post May 9 2007, 09:07 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (Glayvin34)
I don't know how many folks are still watching this thread, but does everyone else play with autosofts affecting response? It's hard when your drone has a Pilot of 3, that means you can only run 2 'softs without affecting initiative. And Pilot upgrades are expensive.

there's 2 places that say how many programs you can run before response degrades. one says you may run up to your system with no degradation, the other says at system programs you suffer your first point of response degradation.

that being said, 3-4 programs, even under the second ruling, only lowers your response by 1 for the purposes of initiative, basically...

also, a single pilot program at rating 4 is all you really need... just crack it, copy it, and distribute it to everything you have.

with either steel lynx or doberman drones, you don't even have to upgrade the response first :)

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post May 9 2007, 09:32 PM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

Please don't flare up the pilot fight...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:16 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.