Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Supersquirt, Effect based on success?
psychophipps
post May 8 2007, 02:48 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,613

I'm thinking about about making a character that uses Supersquirt-type weapons exclusively. My question for you guys is "Does initial successes add the effectiveness of the chemical agents with these weapons?" I can see why it wouldn't, due to the effect being based on a chemical effect rather than bullet energy and placement, but then there is the flip-side where a pepperball right in the eye socket is worth two in the chest.

Thoughts?
Mark(psycho)Phipps( HAHAHA! )
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aaron
post May 8 2007, 02:55 AM
Post #2

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

Without actually reading anything, off the top of my head, I believe that your hits on the attack do not increase the effect, but you do score a successful strike on a tie.

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post May 8 2007, 05:44 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,630

Having actually read it, yeah the dart deals no damage so the hits account for nothing just making it harder to dodge.
It looks like armor makes little difference with out chemical protection or a chemical seal.
So it be a nice weapon. The chemical seal (only on full body armor) may make the target immune to the weapon. I don't see it bypassing a solid armor shell.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post May 9 2007, 04:54 PM
Post #4

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...used it in previous editions. Excellent and effective stealthy weapon. Used to have it loaded with Gamma-S but with the reduction in power level from 10D to 8, Narcojet is now far superior (and more easily available) if you just want to go for the straight knockout shot.

+Quote Post
2bit
post May 9 2007, 07:38 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,526

"Does initial successes add the effectiveness of the chemical agents with these weapons?"

no , for the reason you stated. The thought is that a good shot can't raise the effect of the toxin beyond full strength. If anything, lack of successes would lower the power, representing less than a full dose being administered.

+Quote Post
silentmaster101
post May 9 2007, 07:45 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,863

i would rule that initial success' just increase the threshold for resisting the toxin, you know based on how well the shot was placed, like if it got the jugular or close to the heart. or maybe remove damage resist dice.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post May 9 2007, 08:41 PM
Post #7

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (silentmaster101)
i would rule that initial success' just increase the threshold for resisting the toxin...

...that's how one of the GM's I played under handled it.

+Quote Post
MJBurrage
post May 9 2007, 09:20 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 11,507

One of my favorite weapons of all time...

Back in the day, one of my runners used a ten-shot ELD-Pistol, (see the Ares ELD-AR, from M&M) with a variety of DMSO laced rounds. (I had a gunsmith manufacture one with the ten round capacity and a gas canister in a combined clip.)

Very concealable, and silent, weapon. Score a hit on anyone who is not wearing chem-sealed armor, and down they go.

And as for being rousted by the Star, all I was carrying was a paint-ball gun (unless they tested the rounds themselves).

Of course, my GM ruled that on the old equivelent of a Critical Glitch, the round broke in the gun and I was the one SOL.

+Quote Post
Squinky
post May 10 2007, 02:07 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 7,377

So, does normal armor affect the damage from a supersquirt? Does it have the normal roll body+armor deal, or does it go right to resolving the chemicals effect?

I can't find anywhere in the book where it says how to resolve it.

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post May 10 2007, 02:34 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (Squinky @ May 9 2007, 08:07 PM)
So, does normal armor affect the damage from a supersquirt? Does it have the normal roll body+armor deal, or does it go right to resolving the chemicals effect?

I can't find anywhere in the book where it says how to resolve it.

For an injection arrow (which deals damage). You get your armor in the defense. If you don't get wounded it can't inject you with poison.

However the super squirt, isn't an injection weapon. It shoots a gel pack, by that and the name it tells me it delivers contact poisons only it doesn't shoot poison darts. "forces the skin to absorb the chemicals"

Anyway armor only helps you with toxins if
A: the weapon must injure you before the poison is applied
B: Through chemical protections which you'd add to your roll
Chemical Seal grants immunity to contact and inhalation

+Quote Post
odinson
post May 10 2007, 05:29 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,383

Same sort of question, why would hits increase damage on electrical weapons then. Wouldn't it just make it harder to dodge?

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post May 10 2007, 06:01 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (odinson)
Same sort of question, why would hits increase damage on electrical weapons then. Wouldn't it just make it harder to dodge?

Because electrical damage isn't the same as poison. Poison travels through the bloodstream and attacks what ever it is meant to attack. But in the end its about dosage.

Electricity doesn't arc around your entire body it travels the shortest route to the ground. A taser dart to your foot will be much less effective then if it hits around your heart.
Electrical damage all about current and amps.

For example six milliamps is the threshold where the heart is stopped. However getting six milliamps to your arm is unlikely to travel to your heart unless the current has a long duration.

A poison dart to your arm however is just as likely to spread to your heart as a dart to your throat.
Actually a vein in the arm may be faster as a hit to the throat would have the poison pumping away. Good if the poison targeted the brain tissue.

+Quote Post
odinson
post May 10 2007, 07:41 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,383

yeah but the tasers work on really small amps with high voltages. electricity doesn't take only the shortest path it takes all paths. so a hit to the arm with a high voltage will travel through you entire body. true the number of electrons moving through farther away parts of your body will be considerably less, but the damage is from it messing with your bodies signals to it's muscles and that doesn't take much at all.

i do agree that hits shouldn't up the damage from a poison, but i also think that electicity shouldn't go up too.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post May 10 2007, 03:18 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

The statement that electricity follows ths shortest possible path, while not entirely correct, it is a good enough approximation, espcially in situations with high resistivity.

If you were to shoot someone in the foot with a taser and measure the current in the head, it would be basicaly zero compared to the situation when you shoot someone in th head. Whereas a toxin introduced into the blood stream at any point uses the body's own systems to route it to every point in the body.

+Quote Post
fool
post May 10 2007, 09:09 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,316

Very concealable, and silent, weapon. Score a hit on anyone who is not wearing chem-sealed armor, and down they go.

In the old system they were virtually silent, in the SR4 it doesn't say anything to indicate that is still so. I can imagine that to get any decent range out of it, they would need something more powerful than compressed co2

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:16 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.