Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun Video Game, Gold
Caine Hazen
post May 11 2007, 07:35 PM
Post #1

MechRigger Delux

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 1,657

For those who might have missed the announcement (cause I know we've discussed it to death :D )
http://shadowrun.com/

May 29th will be the release date
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 11 2007, 08:00 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Unfortunate.

~J

+Quote Post
Large Mike
post May 11 2007, 08:39 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,062

Honestly, even this forum has seen new people interested because of the video game. Yes, it sets up some erroneous ideas about the setting, but it's a smaller leap to explain that those two corps don't exist and there's no teleporting than to explain the whole concept.

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. Err, that is to say that any publicity is good publicity. Tabletop RPGs need all the help they can get, if our hobby is to avoid the fate of historically accurate miniature games.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post May 11 2007, 08:41 PM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

While the game may not truly be "Shadowrun", from all accounts I've heard the game is actually quite good. Tycho (of PA fame) even compared it to Starsiege: Tribes, one of my favorite FPS games of all time, and one of theirs as well. So, despite the differences, I wish the game well and hope that it gives me enjoyment.

+Quote Post
Kalvan
post May 12 2007, 01:18 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,583

I still say that the guys who came up with the idea and everybody in any position to overide them should commit seppuku with a ripsaw in a webcast or on national television before I will ever buy another Microsoft game!

+Quote Post
SuperFly
post May 13 2007, 07:17 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,132

I just opened up the newest PC Gamer magazine and saw the first full page ad for the game to my knowledge.... It's the back of some guy's head with a bunch of photoshopped eyeballs attached and the quote, 'In any othe rgame, this might help.'

Microsoft has been very successful in making sure to sever all ties between this load of garbage and the RPG source material.

+Quote Post
Sterling
post May 15 2007, 08:27 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,885

Well, having done QA for Interplay on Balder's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn, it taught me that a good RPG is a very time consuming and resource intensive project.

The resources to code and script one chapter of a decent RPG can instead crank out a complete first person shooter. Look at Doom and all the player created maps that emerged. Sure, there's arguments that games like Neverwinter Nights also had its fair share of player created content, but which was easier to make (and I know the comparison is difficult considering how far apart each game is in terms of when they were released).

What I've heard (scuttlebutt, mostly) is that if this first person shooter version does well enough to justify more effort and resources, then we may see a proper RPG. My concern now is that if they do pull off a great game with this non-canon version, the RPG will also use this non-canon version.

Microsoft's reluctance to throw insane amounts of cash towards a proper Shadowrun RPG or MMORPG is understandable, I can only recall two notable science fiction MMORPGs and the better of the two is still substantially underperforming its potential. SWG may have been a warning sign to a lot of developers.

Sadly the new version of Shadowrun makes a MMORPG (lets face it, that's what we all really want) much more doable compared to SR3, which had better systems in place for decking, rigging, etc, but each system would be a nightmare to code and integrate with each other. It's also debatable if the currently available PCs could handle such a graphics strain, but again, SR4 fixes that for us.

Really, all we need is a good developer, a team of top-notch coders, some good graphic artists, and some bored billionaire to finance a Shadowrun MMORPG. We've got all the QA and playtesters we could ever want, I'm sure. And if properly done, the variety of characters and gear, not to mention the setting, could make the Shadowrun MMORPG wildly successful. But the problem is Microsoft has the rights to that aspect of FASA's IP, and they don't seem ready to invest the money and time to create the Shadowrun (MMO)RPG yet.

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 15 2007, 09:37 AM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

the format is not the problem. it could be an SR-based table tennis game, for all many of us care. the problem is that they disregarded huge amounts of the existing material in order to make room for their own stuff.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 15 2007, 12:11 PM
Post #9

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (Sterling)
MMORPG (lets face it, that's what we all really want)

Speak for yourself, thank you very much. I at least believe that a commercial MMORPG is fundamentally incompatible with a good Shadowrun game.

~J

+Quote Post
Blade
post May 15 2007, 12:15 PM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

Seconded, I'd rather play SR table-tennis or a Drop Bear simulation.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post May 15 2007, 01:56 PM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

Another problem is the licensing situation. In order for Microsoft to make a Shadowrun MMO using any Shadowrun material since the FASA/FASA Interactive split, they'd need to hash out a licensing deal with Wizkids. Which they may decide they don't want to bother with.

I suppose they could make a retro Shadowrun MMO themselves, but even that might get fuzzy with intellectual property law. I really have no idea how that whole thing shook out with the split.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post May 15 2007, 02:46 PM
Post #12

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

Here's a bit of an interview with Mitch Gitelman, head of FASA Studios:

GS: If the game does well, could we expect to see more Shadowrun-related products down the road? For instance, the longtime fans of the franchise would really love to see a Shadowrun role-playing game.

MG: Yeah, I heard somewhere on the Web that longtime fans might want an RPG. We'll look into that.

Heard. Somewhere. On the web.
Might Want.

These guys know fuck-all about Shadowrun. Don't expect anything good to come out of them.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post May 15 2007, 03:03 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

Yea, especially if the year somewhere on the web that no self respecting shadowrun player would ever buy a microsoft product from those guys who know fuck-all about shadowrun.

Consider the community here may be doing more to prevent any sort of attempt at a reasonable SR computer game, by not being able to hold their tounges regarding this one, than any percieved lack of market could.

I mean, go to the largest fan site for an intellectual property, and see everone say they'd never buy a game loosely based on their favored property. That sure makes me want to go out and invest.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 15 2007, 03:10 PM
Post #14

Manus Celer Dei

Awesome. Is there any way I could be doing more to prevent it? 'Cause I don't want to let this chance slip by to let those guys who know fuck-all about Shadowrun possibly know that I'll be actively working to reduce sales on this and future Shadowrun-branded products from them.

(Not everyone believes that a hope of a decent product eventually is worth tolerating a bad product now)

~J

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post May 15 2007, 04:00 PM
Post #15

Runner

QUOTE (Backgammon)
Here's a bit of an interview with Mitch Gitelman, head of FASA Studios:

GS: If the game does well, could we expect to see more Shadowrun-related products down the road? For instance, the longtime fans of the franchise would really love to see a Shadowrun role-playing game.

MG: Yeah, I heard somewhere on the Web that longtime fans might want an RPG. We'll look into that.

Might Want.

These guys know fuck-all about Shadowrun. Don't expect anything good to come out of them.

But we already have a Shadowrun RPG. 3 in fact. One for the SNES, one for the Genesis, and one that was only released in Japan. And those were all great. Why mess with a good thing?

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 15 2007, 04:17 PM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
Another problem is the licensing situation. In order for Microsoft to make a Shadowrun MMO using any Shadowrun material since the FASA/FASA Interactive split, they'd need to hash out a licensing deal with Wizkids. Which they may decide they don't want to bother with.

I suppose they could make a retro Shadowrun MMO themselves, but even that might get fuzzy with intellectual property law. I really have no idea how that whole thing shook out with the split.

eh? are you sure? my impression was that FASA Interactive has the right to make video games from the SR IP, with no limit on when material could be added to that IP. i mean, if that were true, wouldn't that also imply that Wizkids has the right to make a video game out of any material created after the split, as long as they didn't use any material from before it (which would be basically impossible, but still)?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 15 2007, 04:33 PM
Post #17

Manus Celer Dei

My impression is that one of the rights FASA Interactive has is to the trademark Shadowrun in the area of video games and electronic entertainment, or whatever it's called.

Still not a lawyer.

~J

+Quote Post
Adam
post May 15 2007, 04:54 PM
Post #18

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Backgammon)
Might Want.

Or Mitch was playfully mocking the outcry. Personally, I laughed my ass off -- in a good way -- when I first saw that quote.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post May 15 2007, 05:00 PM
Post #19

Runner

QUOTE (Adam)
QUOTE (Backgammon @ May 15 2007, 09:46 AM)
Might Want.

Or Mitch was playfully mocking the outcry. Personally, I laughed my ass off -- in a good way -- when I first saw that quote.

Being facetious doesn't usually come across well in text though :S

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 15 2007, 05:02 PM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

i dunno, man, it's hard to distinguish sarcasm with that guy. i mean, when he claimed to be a big fan of SR, and then had to be forced by forum outrage to actually use the source material? a lot of people just plain stopped believing the words that came out of his mouth.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 15 2007, 05:17 PM
Post #21

Manus Celer Dei

Eh, I thought it came across—and I'm certainly not predisposed to view his statements in a favourable light, y'know?

~J

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post May 15 2007, 05:21 PM
Post #22

Ain Soph Aur

QUOTE (Adam)
QUOTE (Backgammon @ May 15 2007, 09:46 AM)
Might Want.

Maybe. But that's like a Janjaweed making a joke about genocide.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 15 2007, 05:22 PM
Post #23

Manus Celer Dei

Eh? Is there something about a man with a gun on a horse that I'm missing here?

~J

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post May 15 2007, 08:19 PM
Post #24

Ain Soph Aur

I dunno, the metaphor made sense to me. Whatever. Hey, I'd buy a good SR RPG if it was made by Microsoft, I don't care. I just don't think it's gonna happen.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post May 15 2007, 09:18 PM
Post #25

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Uh, can we just write letters to MS telling them that they don't need to develop a new SR RPG but rather they just need to overhaul and re-release the old Genesis classic?

A steaming cup of soykaf would be really whiz right about now.

Every time I read that message it made me get up from the game and brew myself a cup of coffee.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:26 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.