Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Paranoia, How to survive in a hostile world
nathanross
post May 13 2007, 06:50 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,845

Okay, Im sure this has been done before, but I feel like I have been sloppy so far in my paranoia in SR4. Obvious mistakes I noticed myself doing last run:
  • Inviting a Lone Star contact to our normal meet place
  • Bringing the case gotten from above contact straight to safe house without scanning or inspecting it
  • Not checking every knocked out guard for cybereyes
  • And the list goes on...
With the RFID tags and wireless technology, what are the ground rules professional runners should remember to cover their ass?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post May 13 2007, 10:42 PM
Post #2

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

Always have a Jammer handy.

Always be on good terms with at least 1 skilled hacker.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post May 13 2007, 11:06 PM
Post #3

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...and always have a Tag Eraser handy.

+Quote Post
kzt
post May 13 2007, 11:59 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

Wear masks and gloves at least, preferably full jumpsuits. Then you don't have to worry about what cameras and witnesses show. With jumpsuits the chance of getting tagged by DNA samples is lower, but sterilize is even better.

Remember that there is no such thing as a secure phone call or a secure matrix meeting. Don't trust caller ID on your comlink, it can be faked easily. So not only do you have no idea who is at the other end of the call, you also have no idea who else is listening. So don't transmit or talk about things over a comlink that you would be uncomfortable with the police and corporate security knowing about.

Any time you carry a running comlink the network knows where you are. So be prepared to explain this, or don't have a running commlink that can be traced back to you.

It's not just targets who have their comlink lifted by the cute chick they met in the bar. How many years would you serve if Lone Star got a copy of your comlink's data, call history and location history?

+Quote Post
Jaid
post May 14 2007, 12:19 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (kzt)
It's not just targets who have their comlink lifted by the cute chick they met in the bar. How many years would you serve if Lone Star got a copy of your comlink's data, call history and location history?

it's not how many years you're gonna serve, it's how many important people and organisations will be mad at you for their information getting out, and what *they* will do to you that should have you worrying. databomb *everything*. twice. and hash it. after watermarking and encrypting it.

better yet, get it implanted.

+Quote Post
kzt
post May 14 2007, 12:37 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Jaid)

I'd suggest not having getting too attached to anything that is used to contact other people's systems. Built into my head is pretty darn attached. Having to use a power drill to extract your compromised comlink sounds both painful and messy.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post May 14 2007, 12:40 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (kzt)
QUOTE (Jaid @ May 13 2007, 05:19 PM)

I'd suggest not having getting too attached to anything that is used to contact other people's systems. Built into my head is pretty darn attached. Having to use a power drill to extract your compromised comlink sounds both painful and messy.

ok fine, but the point is, don't let your data get stolen. it can really frag you over.

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 14 2007, 12:45 AM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

unless there are rules for undeleting data, there's no real reason to worry about that. if you get caught by such surprise that you don't have time to wipe your implanted commlink, you're not any more screwed than you would be if you didn't have an implanted commlink to begin with. moreover, with an implanted commlink, you can simply turn off the wireless link and you'll be completely unhackable.

+Quote Post
kzt
post May 14 2007, 12:47 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Jaid)
ok fine, but the point is, don't let your data get stolen. it can really frag you over.

Yup. Buy you could think of it as an opportunity to move the game (and those PCs that survive the ensuing massacre) to Australia or Hong Kong, without your fancy toys, contacts and money.

+Quote Post
kzt
post May 14 2007, 12:56 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

QUOTE (mfb)
unless there are rules for undeleting data, there's no real reason to worry about that. if you get caught by such surprise that you don't have time to wipe your implanted commlink, you're not any more screwed than you would be if you didn't have an implanted commlink to begin with. moreover, with an implanted commlink, you can simply turn off the wireless link and you'll be completely unhackable.

There are reasons why people who don't want to get caught by the cops use throw away cell phones rather then just keep the same phone and get it reprogrammed with a new number.

Having data stored in your head is one thing, but having the RF portion of a commlink there seems like a really poor idea. For one thing, warranty service is really a drag. "Yes, Mr. Smith, it will have to go back to the factory for repair. But we'll be glad to ship you a new one overnight!"

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post May 14 2007, 01:35 AM
Post #11

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (kzt)
Remember that there is no such thing as a secure phone call or a secure matrix meeting. Don't trust caller ID on your comlink, it can be faked easily. So not only do you have no idea who is at the other end of the call, you also have no idea who else is listening. So don't transmit or talk about things over a comlink that you would be uncomfortable with the police and corporate security knowing about.

Will Smith [Dean] What the hell is happening?

Gene Hackman [Brill] I blew up the building.

Will Smith [Dean] Why...?

Gene Hackman [Brill] because you made a phone call

--Enemy of the State, 1998

+Quote Post
Slump
post May 14 2007, 01:38 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,492

the 'runners that I play don't go the ghost route, I go the decoy route. Make sure that they find someone, but not somebody that is connected with me. Skin/Hair/Urine samples from random people placed in an appropriate manner goes a long way towards keeping me free.

Here are my rules for paranoia:

1) Nothing is so valuable that I have to go back for it.
2) Boobytraps make sure my stuff remains undiscovered. A smoking pile of rubble is not the same as evidence.
3) They're not who they say they are. Neither am I.
4) The only person who gets my DNA is my doctor.
5) Disposal means "cannot distinguish between it and slag" not "sold to a thug."
6) The only thing that isn't part of a frameup is what I do in the bathroom each morning.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:16 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.