IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The psycological impact of organlegging, Who did your hand come from?
hyzmarca
post May 18 2007, 04:22 AM
Post #1

Midnight Toker

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,456

The thing about getting a second-hand limb is that you'll look at that limb every day and know that it isn't really yours. You'll know that it was cut off a corpse and that can produce psychological issues far more severe than one would see from a prosthetic limb.

This is best illustrated by the following article about a man who was so psychologically disturbed by his transplanted penis that he had surgeons remove the member after only two weeks.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story/0,...1874818,00.html

I imagine that would be creepy if he ever recovered sexual function, for both him and his wife. It is literally someone else's penis.

So, this really raises questions about how much profit there would be in selling second-hand limbs. After all, word of mouth from people who have had their alien limbs chopped off due to psychological issues must severely damage the limb business. While most people who buy second-hand limbs ill be too poor to buy cloned limbs, it is just as likely that they would be able to adapt to the use of cheaper non-cyber prosthetics in many cases without the psychological trauma of having someone else's limbs.

For this reason, I suspect that internal organs will be far more popular than limbs could ever hope to be, including fifth limbs. Although, I suppose the fifth limbs will be in high demand due to their potential use in bizarre magic rituals.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ravor
post May 18 2007, 02:15 PM
Post #2

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Well I'd imagine that in a society where it's considered normal to pluck out the perfectly good eyeballs you were born with to install some metal ones that doesn't really do anything that you couldn't also do with a pair of fancy glasses people wouldn't have nearly as much problem with these types of issues as they do today.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post May 18 2007, 02:20 PM
Post #3

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

I don't know. There's still a potentially large difference.
A prosthetic is a machine. It's noone's, so when you get it, it becomes yours. Like a posession, but still yours.
But someone else's limb is someone else's, not noone's, and not yours. So even after it's attached, there's that barrier keeping it from becoming yours; because even after it's attached you know that it's someone else's.
Not everyone would have a problem with that. Odds are, if you can't imagine what the problem would be, you probably wouldn't have a problem with it.
I honestly don't know how I would handle it.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post May 18 2007, 02:40 PM
Post #4

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Hmm, good point, but the angle that I'm coming from is this, I imagine that once a society as a whole gets over whatever hurdles they'd have to in order to see their meat as so meaningless and worthless that getting cybereyes or having a datajack installed is something that teenagers do on an afternoon jaunt to the mall they are already viewing their natural body as a thing they own, so extending that line of thought to second-hand body parts isn't that great of a leap in my mind.

I guess that way of thinking just seems more in line with the way I see Sixth World society where saturday morning kid shows might very well show unsimulated sex and mom/dad routinely buys 'to the death bloodsport events' on Pay-per-view.

+Quote Post
jrpigman
post May 18 2007, 03:15 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 9,810

Even now, the example of a donated penis is probably the most hyperbolic of any implanted organ. I'm sure that, while it may be a little wierd, most people are grateful to have someone else's kidney, or heart, or whatever, and genuinely thankful someone filled out a donor card and crashed their motorcycle. Its a small step from "Thank god that guy had a brian hemmorage or I'd be dead" to "Thank god that guy pissed off somebody with a gun, or I'd be dead."

Though I do think hands, faces, and penises are a wierd thing to recieve from a dead guy.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 18 2007, 03:19 PM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

And a small step from there to hiring guys with guns to get pissed off at organ donors.

~J

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post May 18 2007, 03:29 PM
Post #7

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
The thing about getting a second-hand limb is that you'll look at that limb every day and know that it isn't really yours.

it's yours now

it will cease being yours once you are collected for spare parts.

it's 2070. with time and cheap surgery comes an almost callous appreciation for one's own body parts.

ask anyone who has had an organ transplant in order to live. I guarantee they won't be having psychological issues with it.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post May 18 2007, 03:41 PM
Post #8

There is definitely a HUGE psychological disconnect between a donor organ than you can't see and one that you can.
When was the last time you were consciously aware of your kidney? Sure, it happens, on extremely rare occasions, maybe if you have to pee really bad or if you get punched in it, but even then it's not that you're aware of your kidney, so much as a general sense of "Ow, my right here hurts really f'ing bad", or whatever. But otherwise, out of sight, out of mind.

A hand or a face or a penis has to be looked at, touched, and otherwise interacted with on a regular basis. *snicker*

Even so, I see a big difference, even between a lack of regard for your own meat and using someone elses. There's something strange and irrational about our sense of "self". An example is, if you've ever stuck your finger in your ear and pulled out some yellow yuck. (there's no use pretending you haven't) It's mildly gross, but more of a non-event. Now if that were someone else's ear yuck on your finger, it would be disgusting.
We're somehow irrationally blase about our own bodies, but grossed out by others, so by that rationale even a culture who is blase about cyber replacement and even clonal replacment might still have a problem with someone else's arm, because on a gut, irrational level, it's a very different thing.
Maybe. I don't know.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post May 18 2007, 03:44 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Fix-it)
ask anyone who has had an organ transplant in order to live. I guarantee they won't be having psychological issues with it.

I feel like that statement might deserve some research.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post May 18 2007, 05:36 PM
Post #10

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

Try checking here

Abstract:
The author presents results of a study of psychological reactions of patients undergoing renal transplantation. The study identified a kind of "emotional transplant": the image of the kidney becomes part of the psychological structures present in the psychic apparatus, finally becoming merged with the individual's self-representations

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 18 2007, 06:19 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i suddenly have this horrible vision of a cursed penis that travels from recipient to recipient, ruining lives and spreading chaos. the worst part is, i don't know whether to laugh or start writing.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post May 18 2007, 06:20 PM
Post #12

Midnight Toker

QUOTE (mfb @ May 18 2007, 01:19 PM)
i suddenly have this horrible vision of a cursed penis that travels from recipient to recipient, ruing lives and spreading chaos. the worst part is, i don't know whether to laugh or start writing.

Start writing.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 18 2007, 06:57 PM
Post #13

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

This makes me want to go watch Killer Condom.

~J

+Quote Post
kigmatzomat
post May 18 2007, 07:09 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

From: Louisville, KY (Well, Memphis, IN technically but you won't know where that is.)
Member No.: 7,626

Heck, to me the interesting issue is whether ritual magic targeted at the (hopefully deceased) owner might wind up hitting all the recipients.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post May 18 2007, 07:10 PM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

QUOTE (mfb)
i suddenly have this horrible vision of a cursed penis that travels from recipient to recipient, ruining lives and spreading chaos. the worst part is, i don't know whether to laugh or start writing.

I think I saw a Doujinshi that started this way once...

+Quote Post
nezumi
post May 18 2007, 07:41 PM
Post #16

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

I definitely think a penis would be in a different category than say a kidney. A kidney stays inside me. I don't generally think about it. A penis I put in my wife. If it's *MY* penis, life is good. If it's an artificial penis, well I guess that's okay (sort of like a vibrator, right?) If it's someone else's penis, well then I just get upset. Makes me want to go dig that guy up and punch him a few times. Bastard.

Hands are a little nicer. If it were a woman's hand it would be kind of awkward, but if it were some dude's hand, I'd just use it for all the disgusting activities like cleaning the toilet. Sucker.

+Quote Post
Dayhawk
post May 18 2007, 07:57 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,417

I agree... I would much rather have a prosthetic limb then a transplanted one.

On a side note, I think I know why he was all upset. He got stuck with 10cm.

I mean if you had the chance to choose your size, seems like a min of 13 cm would be in order. ;)

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post May 18 2007, 08:04 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (nezumi)
If it were a woman's hand...

Oh I hadn't even thought of that! Weird.

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 18 2007, 08:24 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

there ought to be some sort of Mismatched Limb flaw. you'd have to handwave a lot of medical complications, i guess, but playing a hispanic guy with an anglo hand would be kinda neat.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post May 18 2007, 08:31 PM
Post #20

"She's got man-hands!" -Seinfeld

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post May 18 2007, 08:31 PM
Post #21

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...this discussion is beginning to bring back odd memories of an episode of Futurama...

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post May 18 2007, 08:44 PM
Post #22

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

How old am I?

Jigsaw Man part of a set of short stories available in Tales of Known Space and I think I may have read the original magazine publication sometime from the late 60's

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post May 19 2007, 12:06 AM
Post #23

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

I'm unclear as to why there is any organ legging in 2070. Transplanting in 2007 is a stop-gap - it's a bad solution that we use because it works at all.

In 2070 they can force-grow clones that are fully functional and have been able to do so for over twenty years (the vat-grown replacements were an option in the basic book of first edition set in 2050). The entire reasoning behind transplants today simply doesn't wash in that future. There's no reason to hold on to someone's former kidney on the off-chance that it will turn out to be a genetic match for someone who needs a kidney to live - you could literally just make a kidney should such a hypothetical need come into being.

The people of 2070 have long since passed an informational threshold where individual organs are no longer unique. And that means that he scarce leavings of cadavers no longer has value.

A second hand organ is a risk for allergies, it's an infection hazard, and the chances of it working as well as a new organ after it's been in a dying host and the open air is as close to zero as makes no odds. The only reason to use one is because there are no other options.

But in 2070 there are other options. And the only value that some dead berk's liver has is that it is 1.4 kilograms of high-nutrient meat that might be enjoyed by a Wendigo, a Ghoul, or a Penanggalan. Everyone else has better, less dangerous, more reliable options.

-Frank

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post May 19 2007, 12:28 AM
Post #24

Midnight Toker

Second-hand organs have the advantage of being cheaper than every other option.
Most poor individuals, especially those who are SINless, simply can't afford vat-grown organs. For those people, it is far more economically feasible just to have somebody hack up another poor sinless fellow who just happens to be a match. The cost of lifelong anti-rejection treatment results in higher long-term costs, but that doesn't matter to those who can't aford the initial up-front cost of a vat-grown organ.

+Quote Post
Demon_Bob
post May 19 2007, 01:06 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,226

It starts being My Body Part the moment My Body starts keeping It Alive, or It starts Keeping Me Alive.

Like I'm going to tell the Doctor, "You know, I decided I don't want the fantastic new heart, because it wasn't the one I was born with. Can you put the old one back?" Not gonna happen!

I can't understand wanting to needlessly suffer for the lack of a certian body part because I was not the original owner. If I am legally taking care of it now, its mine. It does not matter if it is a car, kids, or body part.

Can I trade up later for a better model?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:39 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.