Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spell force and overcasting
Eryk the Red
post May 19 2007, 08:08 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,301

I find I like that with combat spells, a mage can push himself harder, risking his health, to make his spell more powerful and do more damage. The temptation to overcast exists, and I like that.

But it seems like that is missing from most other spells. Force is mostly just a hit-limiter; you only cast at higher force if you think you're going to get more hits.

I'd like to change that, at least a little. Not like a complete overhaul, or anything. Just modifying a few spells here and there.

Mostly, I've been thinking about the barrier spells, which seem like great candidates for this. (Imagining the group surrounded by heavily armed guards, someone yelling "We're boned!" and then the mage overcasts his Phys Barrier to F10 at the last moment, deflecting the barrage of bullets while bleeding out his face.)

So anyway, I figured I could do this by linking the Armor of the barrier (not the Structure) directly to Force, rather than hits. Does this seem like it'd be good? Too powerful?

Are there any other types of spells that'd be good for this kind of update?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ravor
post May 19 2007, 08:11 PM
Post #2

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Well I'd have to playtest it before coming down one way or the other, but if I remember correctly last time the Barrier spells were brought up someone made the point that if you tied their results to Force instead of Hits then you'd make spilting a Mage's Dicepool to cast two spells at once not nearly as painful as it currently is...

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post May 19 2007, 08:21 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

I'd still have Structure tied to Hits. I don't want spellcasting success to cease to matter entirely.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post May 19 2007, 08:24 PM
Post #4

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Aye, thats why I'd have to playtest it before having an opinion. :cyber:

+Quote Post
laughingowl
post May 19 2007, 11:37 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,895

QUOTE (Eryk the Red)
I find I like that with combat spells, a mage can push himself harder, risking his health, to make his spell more powerful and do more damage. The temptation to overcast exists, and I like that.

But it seems like that is missing from most other spells. Force is mostly just a hit-limiter; you only cast at higher force if you think you're going to get more hits.

I'd like to change that, at least a little. Not like a complete overhaul, or anything. Just modifying a few spells here and there.

Mostly, I've been thinking about the barrier spells, which seem like great candidates for this. (Imagining the group surrounded by heavily armed guards, someone yelling "We're boned!" and then the mage overcasts his Phys Barrier to F10 at the last moment, deflecting the barrage of bullets while bleeding out his face.)

So anyway, I figured I could do this by linking the Armor of the barrier (not the Structure) directly to Force, rather than hits. Does this seem like it'd be good? Too powerful?

Are there any other types of spells that'd be good for this kind of update?

An alternative:

How about: overcasting gets you extra 'points' these can be used to raise the cap, OR as extra dice.

Force 6 - Overcast 6 you could chose to be a force 12 spell, or a force 6 spell with 6 extra dice on your spellcasting test.

This allows spell casters to boost any spell, and gives a chance for a little extra bang.

+Quote Post
odinson
post May 20 2007, 01:07 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,383

You could do that with every spell, not just overcast ones, to simply rules. Make it so you can reduce the effective force of the spell by 1 to add 1 die to your spell casting test. The actual force of the spell is used for drain. Example: Cast a force 6 spell with an effective force of 3 (3 max hits, any numerical values based on force are at 3) add 3 dice to spell casting test, resist drain as a force 6 spell.

+Quote Post
laughingowl
post May 20 2007, 02:36 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,895

Though I have to admit my way of fixing it is to bring all the spells down a bit. (though mostly combat).

To me overcating doesnt 'promise' extra force. Overcasting generates the possiblity of extra force, but you need to channel the energy efectively.

Overcasting raises the potential force of the spell but the force is equal to magic + hits. (capped at potential force

So a magic 5 mage overcasting a bit for a for 8 heal.

Makes a spell casting roll, as long as they get atleast three hits, then the spell is force 8. (magic (5) + hits (3).

More then likely going to get the 'full effect', what this is intended to limit is the extreme overcasting.

magic 6 casting force 12 spell. (mage would need to get 6 hits to get the full force. If important enough to be spending edge, very likely to get 6 hits, however, unless spell casting is in the 24+ range, is more then likely 'wasting' some of the overcast and taking drain for no extra effect.

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post May 22 2007, 04:54 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

I actually prefer that overcasting guarantees extra power. I like the idea of being able to get extra power at a price. It creates dramatic moments where our heroes succeed, but at great cost.

+Quote Post
2bit
post May 22 2007, 07:06 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,526

sounds good for a metamagic to me.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post May 22 2007, 07:10 PM
Post #10

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

Well, Barrier is working kinda weird, anyways, with such a low Rating unless you roll extraordinarily well.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:11 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.