IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'Neuromancer' Film Greenlit..., Finally coming to the silver screen.
SuperFly
post May 20 2007, 09:21 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,132

>>>Dark Horizons Report<<<

Fantastic!! :cyber: :nuyen: :D :D :D :nuyen: :cyber:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 20 2007, 09:31 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

they're getting the guy from friggin' Torque on this? great. looks like this is shaping up to be just as bad as every other attempt to make a Gibson-based movie. 'cept maybe New Rose Hotel, and even that had some seriously deep-seated flaws.

of course, i'm gonna go see it anyway. Torque did have hot chicks with tats and piercings wearing skintight leather, so maybe there's still hope!

+Quote Post
Darkest Angel
post May 21 2007, 12:06 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,062

QUOTE (mfb)
Torque did have hot chicks with tats and piercings wearing skintight leather, so maybe there's still hope!

I'm gonna have sky plus that now.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post May 21 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

William Gibson's view on this news from his blog:

I'VE FORGOTTEN MORE NEUROMANCER FILM DEALS THAN YOU'VE EVER HEARD OF
posted 3:45 PM
Word from the Croisette has some of our posters gnashing their teeth at the possibility that someone who's made Britney vids might attempt a feature film of Neuromancer.

Discussing said possibility, earlier today, with Cory Doctorow, he said:

"I've noticed that everything in Hollywood always appears to be in a liminal state of nearly there, with enormous, gallumphing enthusiasm all around, then long periods of indifference. I get almost weekly calls about the amazing things that are just about to happen for me. I go to studio meetings with people who tell me about the amazing things we'll do together. Somehow, nothing much comes of it... It reminds me a little of bubble-era tech entrepreneurs, especially the business development people who always seemed about to close a GIANT DEAL."

If you're a novelist, or hope one day to be, and haven't yet had a film option, I suggest you remember that. It's as concise and accurate a description of this very liminal business as you're ever likely to run across.

Myself, I'll be willing to entertain the idea that Neuromancer is really "headed for the big screen" when I'm watching it being shot

As the old saying goes, I'll believe it when I see it.

I *do* believe, though, that Peter Weir will not be going forward with Pattern Recognition. That is one utterly solid little factoid of film news, alas.

I no longer get very wrought up over the liminals, myself, except to be annoyed by people who seem to assume that feature films are the ultimate stage of novelistic creation, thereby relegating the book to the status of dull gray chrysalis.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post May 22 2007, 02:34 PM
Post #5

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

[...] except to be annoyed by people who seem to assume that feature films are the ultimate stage of novelistic creation, thereby relegating the book to the status of dull gray chrysalis.

Ah, that's true. Neuromancer is Neuromancer. No movie will do it justice. We're not going to get another Blade Runner. Hell, Blade Runner had very little to do with Do Androids..., thank god. Blade Runner was an exceptionnal aligning of planets and circumstances. We're just not in the 80s anymore, the kind of cyberpunk vision we crave is gone now. A Neuromancer movie might be good, in the same way the XBOX 360 SR game is good. Objectively good, but it'll never satisfy us hard core shadowrunners.

Speaking of Blade Runner, though, there is supposed to be a theatrical re-release soonish, like this year or next or something (unless that gets scrapped too). I think that'll do for me :)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 22 2007, 03:08 PM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Backgammon)
Hell, Blade Runner had very little to do with Do Androids..., thank god.

I burn with the fires of rage.

~J

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post May 22 2007, 03:50 PM
Post #7

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

Why?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 22 2007, 04:04 PM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Because you suggest it was a good thing.

~J

+Quote Post
Vvornth
post May 22 2007, 04:13 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 11,243

I have my hopes set that this will be the best Hollywood movie since Johnny Mnemoic!

</irony>

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 22 2007, 04:45 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Backgammon)
Hell, Blade Runner had very little to do with Do Androids..., thank god.

i sorta agree. not that i wouldn't want to see a more accurate version of Do Android Dream, but it wouldn't have been Blade Runner.

the only PKD-based movie i've ever seen that comes even remotely close to capturing the feel of the novel is A Scanner Darkly. PKD novels read like dreams, or hallucinations.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post May 22 2007, 05:12 PM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

I agree too. Do Androids Dream.. is great and Blade Runner is great and I think it's because one didn't attempt to be the other too much.

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 22 2007, 05:24 PM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

caveat: the original theatrical release was not great.

"Sushi! That's what ex-wife called me. Cold fish!"

"Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life--anybody's life. My life."

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post May 23 2007, 03:14 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

I'll reserve judgement until I see a teaser or a trailer.

+Quote Post
Meriss
post May 23 2007, 03:23 AM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 11,025

Hmmm... Tempted. As long as Keanu Reeves isn't in it I may watch.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 23 2007, 03:34 AM
Post #15

Manus Celer Dei

Keanu Reeves fits shockingly well with a lot of cyberpunk and pre-cyberpunk. The same bewilderedness that made him perfect for Neo (in the first Matrix movie, back when the character had an excuse for being totally lost) was perfect for Arctor in A Scanner Darkly. Now, I don't really see Case as being quite that lost, but I could see it being pulled off decently.

~J

+Quote Post
eidolon
post May 23 2007, 03:39 AM
Post #16

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

QUOTE (William Gibson)
I *do* believe, though, that Peter Weir will not be going forward with Pattern Recognition. That is one utterly solid little factoid of film news, alas.

Thank fuck. That book sucked ass. Pure "I'm William Gibson, and I can't get past that fact to write anymore."

@Kage: I agree on Reeves. The cyberpunk "lost dude" is about all he's actually good at.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 23 2007, 03:45 AM
Post #17

Manus Celer Dei

That's probably all he's good at in cyberpunk. I dare you to watch Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and tell me that's all he's good at, period.

Admittedly, we're not getting the broadest range of characters here.

~J

+Quote Post
eidolon
post May 23 2007, 03:51 AM
Post #18

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
That's probably all he's good at in cyberpunk. I dare you to watch Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and tell me that's all he's good at, period.

Admittedly, we're not getting the broadest range of characters here.

~J

Yeah, cyberpunk brainless jackass, or teenage highschool brainless jackass. :D

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 23 2007, 04:05 AM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

whoah.

+Quote Post
Lindt
post May 23 2007, 04:43 AM
Post #20

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

No way!

+Quote Post
SuperFly
post May 23 2007, 02:02 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (Backgammon)
Speaking of Blade Runner, though, there is supposed to be a theatrical re-release soonish, like this year or next or something (unless that gets scrapped too). I think that'll do for me :)

Ridley Scott is doing a finalized 'Director's Cut', as he was never happy with the one released in like '92. They've even done some new scenes with the actress who plays Zora.

Maybe it will get a limited theatrical run, I don't know... It's supposed to be out by November of '07, though.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post May 23 2007, 02:32 PM
Post #22

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (SuperFly)
QUOTE (Backgammon)

Ridley Scott is doing a finalized 'Director's Cut', as he was never happy with the one released in like '92. They've even done some new scenes with the actress who plays Zora.

Maybe it will get a limited theatrical run, I don't know... It's supposed to be out by November of '07, though.

The real question is, will Deckard be human in this version? :-) I know there were some people who were unhappy with the loss of ambiguity in the last director's cut.

+Quote Post
SuperFly
post May 23 2007, 02:35 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (Vvornth)
I have my hopes set that this will be the best Hollywood movie since Johnny Mnemoic!

</irony>

Haha!

You have to remember that the Johnny Mnemonic released everywhere in the world (but Japan) was a mutilated piece of Hollywood garbage in comparison to Robert Longo's original vision:

Longo and Gibson collaborated on the film, and came up with a nifty little cyberpunk flick. It was going to be low budget, but they then got studio funding for about 10-12mil. They modified the idea to accomidate the larger budget, and made the film.

The original 'final cut' of the film was supposedly much longer than the theatrical release -- around 2 hours long -- but no known copies still exist. It was then edited down a good deal to accomodate a shorter run time. What was submitted to the studios was what is now the 'extended cut' -- and is about 14 minutes longer than what you saw in theaters or can get on US DVD.

The Extended Japanese Cut is actually a GOOD cyberpunk movie, a satirecal piece that never gets too campy. Some of the smallest throw-away lines add TONS of atmosphere to the piece, and a lot of valuable but short scenes are put back in. Most of the major characters get a meatier background, and the original soundtrack sets an entirely different tone, pace, and feel for the movie.

Once the studios got their claws to it they chopped it down to under 90 minutes, added some lame-ass footage/cgi regarding Johnny's mom and some red bike, and added a completely different soundtrack -- all in an attempt to make a more watered-down, kinetic, and palletable action movie to capitalize on Keanu's then-infant fame.

If all you've seen is the theatrical cut, I HIGHLY recommend getting your mits on the Japanese Extended Cut and give it a second look. In my mind, the theatrical cut doesn't even exist, and the only reason I still own a copy is for collection purposes.

...It might also help that the copy I own is PAL, so the movie runs at a faster speed -- making Keanu's performance much less lethargic. :D ("I need...a...com..put..er!")

+Quote Post
SuperFly
post May 23 2007, 02:48 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
The real question is, will Deckard be human in this version? :-) I know there were some people who were unhappy with the loss of ambiguity in the last director's cut.

***SPOILERS AHEAD...well, maybe for 1 or 2 of you.***

No. Ridley Scott has stated numerous times that Deckard is a replicant.

I can forsee the new version will have much heavier hints toward this ultimate truth. The current Director's Cut has clues that, while effective on subsequent viewings, present very little your average viewer can pick up on. Lots might not notice that only the replicants' eyes glow in the dark -- and that Deckard's do the same...that the love scene is not about controlling a sexbot, but more 'blind leading the blind'...and that the cripple with the cane is Deckard's case-worker, assigned to monitor him for obvious reasons.

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post May 23 2007, 10:51 PM
Post #25

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

it's painfully obvious. "You've done a man's job, sir"

and even in the cut without the dream sequence. the origami man. then the unicorn.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:47 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.