Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Opus Dei & The Priory Of Scion
FlakJacket
post Aug 18 2003, 10:50 PM
Post #1

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

On the recommendation of a friend I got a book called 'The Da Vinci Code' out of the library. It's a so/so read but I wont spoil the plot for anyone that might read it.

Two organisations that are involved in the plot are the Priory- depending on which sources you believe one of the oldest surviving secret societies still active with something to hide- and Opus Dei- a conservative prelate of the Catholic church- and on who you believe on this one, either the greatest thing since sliced bread or Satan's sixth column.

Have either of them come up in the Shadowrun world? I'm absolutely certain that they have but I can't for the life of me find any sources now. Muy annoying. Any help is much appreciated. :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Aug 18 2003, 11:07 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,935

Yes. Black Madonna also includes the Priory of SIon, and is a damn better read too.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Aug 19 2003, 03:22 AM
Post #3

Guests

I find that hard to believe, especially since everything the authors touch turns to crap.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Aug 19 2003, 03:26 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

If you consider their work as stand alone, and not necessairilly connected in any way to officialdom, like somebody retelling their own private campaign, it works out nicely. They can write, they just fudge things to fit their stories better.

That and "The Da Vinci Code" was really, really, really crap. Not Danielle Steele crap, but a pubic hair away, honest.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Aug 19 2003, 05:26 AM
Post #5

King of the Hobos

You thought that? Well, you have absolutely no taste so I just get to discount and ignore you. :)

+Quote Post
Drain Brain
post Aug 19 2003, 12:42 PM
Post #6

The Sewer Jockey

Member No.: 1,197

Carl Sargent & Marc Gascgoine = Good!

Or, in better English, "I very much enjoyed the Novels "Streets of Blood," "Nosferatu" and "Black Madonna" by the afore mentioned pair.

Good stuff - plus, IIRC, the first instance (beyond Verner's pal) of Catholic Magic!

+Quote Post
Synner
post Aug 19 2003, 02:05 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 185

Although I share Flak's aversion to much of Gascoigne and Sargent's creations I do think their books do have their virtues and are well researched. Unfortunately the authors tend to fixate on much the same doom and gloom that fills their old Warhammer creations and never quite get into the cyberpunk style. Gothic noir perfect, fantasy cyberpunk no.

On the other hand having read "The Da Vinci Code", I have to agree with Ancient that the book is entirely too fanciful. If you know anything about the "true" Priory and the Opus Dei you'll know what I'm talking about. This is about as fanciful revisionism as you get.

Its as if the authors researched their subjects picked a few unrelated points in the mythos that stood out and built on them mostly disregarding a lot of other references and sources along the way.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Aug 20 2003, 06:43 AM
Post #8

King of the Hobos

QUOTE (Synner)
Although I share Flak's aversion to much of Gascoigne and Sargent's creations I do think their books do have their virtues and are well researched.

Yeah. I actually loved the characterisation that they did- Streak, from 'The Black Madonna' is one of my favourite Shadowrun characters. What always put me off was as Synner said, either they got the tone wrong, the background research or more commonly they just went with really munchy/over the top storylines. 'Streets of Blood' was probably the most realistic, and that pushes it in places. :/

+Quote Post
White Knight
post Aug 20 2003, 12:05 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 195

QUOTE (Synner)
Unfortunately the authors tend to fixate on much the same doom and gloom that fills their old Warhammer creations and never quite get into the cyberpunk style.

No comment on their constant elves-uber-alles attitude? I've always found that to be the most irritating element of their writing (and not in keeping with the rest of Shadowrun).

+Quote Post
Nath
post Aug 20 2003, 02:49 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

QUOTE (White Knight)
No comment on their constant elves-uber-alles attitude? I've always found that to be the most irritating element of their writing (and not in keeping with the rest of Shadowrun).

Personally, not as much as their French-unter-alles attitude :D By luck it has a limited impact on the story, that was worst in London and TNN SBs. Bah, theyre English, still didn't got over Hastings...

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Aug 20 2003, 03:11 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

There's a reason the English named their end Waterloo Station...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2024 - 12:11 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.