IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrunning Music, Time to beat a dead horse!
Do you use music in your games?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 86
Guests cannot vote 
Diesel
post Nov 8 2003, 09:46 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,955

Just wondering how many people actually use it and what kind. My group uses non-lyrical (very important) music as quiet background noise, and just about anything to begin the night/scene and build mood. Lyrical or loud music damn near kills the game for us.

Songs I use:

Street / Ganger games: The Transplants, Rage Against the Machine
Other stuff: Fast and the Furious soundtrack, Ennio Morricone stuff (cowboy, baby!), Metal Gear, all sorts of techno and to a lesser extent hip-hop and rock. VNV nation too!

So how's about it, what do you all (not) use?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sahandrian
post Nov 8 2003, 10:58 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,880

I'd love to have some stuff playing through the game, but...

I tried it in two live games, and it resulted in the mage and street sam spending an hour talking about Linkin Park instead of listening to the game, until I yelled at them and turned off the music.

However, I do always have some SR-themed music playing on my computer when running online games. If I feel like it, I make background music suggestions to the other players OOC, too. I know at least three of my players have pretty much the same things I do.

Some suggestions for game music...

(soundtracks)
Timesplitters 2 (game)
The Matrix
Read or Die (anime)
Cowboy Bebop (anime)
Perfect Dark (game)
Final Fantasy 7 (game)

(other stuff)
The Alex Cremers / Christoph Sachal SR music
Golden Earring - Twilight Zone
The Offspring - LAPD
Papa Roach - Blood Brothers

+Quote Post
Drain Brain
post Nov 8 2003, 11:02 PM
Post #3

The Sewer Jockey

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,197

Personally I find it distracting - if I can't, as GM, generate the atmosphere enough for the relatively low standards of my retard players, then I don't deserve the job (although I admit that music is a good aid, it's just never come up, really) - but then I grew up on a strict diet of Traveller and D&D - not much scope there for atmospherics.

On that note, however, I am one for other sorts of aids - I take B&W pictures of interesting looking people on the streets and use them as "targets" or stills from sec. cams. I tend to set things up and capture them for the players' use. That's fun. Also lots of maps, blueprints and schematics, laminated and textured for fun effect. When we play fantasy settings I always colour paper to look like parchment with the old "tea-baking" method... good for a giggle...

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Nov 9 2003, 03:10 AM
Post #4

Deus Absconditus

Member No.: 5,566

I almost always do, though it's wide and varied and depends entirely on the scene. GENERALLY, though, it's industrial or noise - or certain soundtracks, like Blade Runner or Ghost in the Shell.

Here's my most recent compilation for Shadowrun, dubbed "Shadowlands Confessional" (or, alternately, 'Ventilation by 50 Calibre.')

1. Skinny Puppy - Optimissed
2. Clock DVA - Soundmirror
3. Gridlock - Halo
4. Informatik - Entropy
5. Das Ich - Destillat (VNV Nation Remix)
6. VNV Nation - Saviour (Vox)
7. Jurassic 5 - Acetate Prophets
8. God Module - Companion
9. God Module - Interference
10. God Module - Resurrection
(I hadda keep all the God Module in a block, for some reason.)
11. Skinny Puppy - Inquisition (Single Mix)
12. Deine Lakaien - Where You Are (VNV Nation Remix)
13. Silent Hill 3 - Flow Crown of Poppy
14. Gridlock - Ash [KSP Remix]
15. La Floa Maldita - La Cite
16 Suicide Commando - Hellraiser (VNV Nation remix)

Good mood music bands for Shadowrun.
Industrial or Noise (that you probably haven't heard of): Gridlock, SPK, Alien Faktor, Decoded Feedback, God Module, Neutronic (Specifically the song "Laughing Academy"), Void Construct. I also recommend VNV Nation fans find the 'Vox' remix of the song Saviour, because the lyrics they added actually kick a whole lotta ass ass. I bolded Void Construct, because they're a little in-house british industrial band that rocks an incredible amount of ass, and they're very nice people. The song "Anodyne Impulse" is probably my favorite. Check 'em out at www.voidconstruct.com
Others: La Floa Maldita, The Future Sound of London, Massive Attack, The Buena Vista Social Club (specifically for sections happening in the Carribean League), The Faint.
Soundtracks: Aside from Blade Runner and other staples, check out the Solaris Soundtrack (for the George Clooney version, not the Andrey Tarkovsky version - though it's good too), Silent Hill 2 and 3, Myst 3: Exile (for Metaplanar stuff).

My two nuyen on the subject.
Can you tell who wears a lot of black IRL? I bet you can. <G>

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Nov 9 2003, 03:14 AM
Post #5

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

We usually don't do music during game, but we have been known to listen to Celtic, Rock, and Techno beforehand. ;p

+Quote Post
Pistons
post Nov 9 2003, 03:27 AM
Post #6

Not Cameron Diaz

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 188

The last table top playing I did, I was GMing a Shadowrun tourney. Sorry, no can do music then. ;)

Online, though, you bet there is or would be music playing. Bush (especially from "Deconstructed"), The Dust Brothers (Fight Club soundtrack), haujobb, Triprocket, Curve, Garbage, Massive Attack, :wumpscut:, things like that. I want to get some Cruciform Injection cds, among a few others, and I'll be set for Shadowrun music.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 9 2003, 03:51 AM
Post #7

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Woo! Garbage works wonders. My personal favourite, probably, is the Serial Experiments Lain OST, though. The Quake II soundtrack is good as well.

~J

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Nov 9 2003, 04:57 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

Generally as a rule there is music but it's barley audable.

Though i remember once when running the arcology for my players, cyprus hill was playing in the background. Just as they were about to enter on comes cock the hammer, and 1 or 2 other tracks that fitted. (Keep remembering the lines of When the shit goes down, you better be ready)

+Quote Post
Kurb
post Nov 9 2003, 05:18 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,641

It depends on the players I play with. Generally though we just play music that fits the scene, but then again it comes as an accident. I remember Slipknot came on in a fight scene and right as the players attacked the line here come's the pain! was said. We all had a good laugh.

+Quote Post
Kurukami
post Nov 9 2003, 05:20 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,242

General sound is easy enough... I've been working on putting together a CD with lyrics that fit, and come up with some weird ideas.

Don Henley - "In a New York Minute" (about all those runners, SINned and SINless, who run afoul of forces larger than they are)
Ronny Jordan - "The Jackal" (concerning that ever-so-smooth cybered runner with the Braggart flaw)
Black Eyed Peas - "Anxiety" (the song for chip addicts everywhere)
Disturbed - "Down with the Sickness" (goblinization, anyone?)

It's still in the making. Any song suggestions, lyrics-wise?

+Quote Post
Siege
post Nov 9 2003, 05:36 PM
Post #11

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Completely unrelated, but my gaming crew took a dinner break from Shadowrun and on the way back, the radio started playing "Another one bites the dust."

-Siege

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 9 2003, 05:50 PM
Post #12

Manus Celer Dei

Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner and Jungle Work, both by Warren Zevon.
Actually, a lot of Warren Zevon's stuff.

~J

+Quote Post
Morphling The Pr...
post Nov 9 2003, 06:01 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 5,588

Everytime I try to play or run in a game with music playing, it always ends up competing with the GM and becoming noise pollution. With Star Wars, VtM, D+D, I and my GMs have tried it, and it was always too distracting. Though I haven't done it for SR, I doubt it would be any different. To have RATM or SOTD roaring while trying negotiate the cost of a human life may be thematic, it is essentially a big distraction.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 9 2003, 06:11 PM
Post #14

Manus Celer Dei

There's the problem: "roaring." It doesn't matter if you like your music loud enough to wake the neighbors, for RPGs it should be kept very quiet; loud enough to hear, but quiet enough that a stage whisper can be heard without any effort.

~J

+Quote Post
Hero
post Nov 9 2003, 07:06 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,996

I like to play terror or speedcore when in a particular edgy or violent scene. Then for most of the other edgy and violent scenes we tend to put on hard trance, or some type of hard rock. Then the background music for most situations varies a lot.

+Quote Post
Diesel
post Nov 9 2003, 07:29 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Adarael: Good stuff, that Skinny Puppy.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Nov 9 2003, 09:01 PM
Post #17

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Moby - Southside! Whenever I hear that song I imagine runners jumping in a car about to face off against some vicious corporate run.

No, lyrics are supposed to be problematic (at least intelligible ones). I would like to try some of the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack, and maybe some German grunge every once in a while. All said and done though, I've found music doesn't set the mood nearly as well as lighting.

+Quote Post
Diesel
post Nov 9 2003, 09:14 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Next run I attend with overhead lighting at full blast will result in several unidentifiable bodies and a considerable absence of myself from DSF due to incarceration.

+Quote Post
easytohate
post Nov 9 2003, 11:14 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 5,767

I adjust lights, and provide music for my table top games. I normally have a few lists plugged into the computer. One play list for each type of scene. I also have theme music for certain NPC's. I play a snippet of the song everytime they come in to play.

Rigger/Decking scenes
Lunitic calm
Orbital
Chemical Bros
Paul Oakenfold
Fatboy slim

Fight scenes
Ramstien
RATM
Sevendust
Otep

Ambient music
Moby
Garbage
Stabbing Westward
Offspring
Likin Park

High magic
Delerium
Some Tool
APC
Love Fury Passion Energy - Boy hits car
The Rebirth - Boy hits car
Believe - Disturbed

Spook scenes
Dust Brothers
NIN
Filter

I'm pretty sure you get the idea.

+Quote Post
Dr Komuso
post Nov 9 2003, 11:24 PM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 4,450

Music is an integral part of all 4 of the games we play (SR, D&D, Star Wars and Deadlands)

For the latter 3 we use pretty much spot on stuff (Both Lord of the Rings soundtracks, all five Star Wars soundtracks plus the Shadows of the Empire OST, and Ennio Morricone, respectively), but Shadowrun is the game with the REALLY varied musical stuff.

Almost everything is techno/industrial or ambient, though classical, metal and even U2 have made appearances (Great for those runs set in Ireland). As far as bands go, KMFDM definately tops the list. KMFDM, aside from being just amazingly driven and emotional industrial, is also the only band as far as I remember with an actual canon reference in the game (A t-shirt on an ork in the ooooooold Germany Sourcebook). Up there with KMFDM is Front Line Assembly, who have done some of the most amazingly SResque stuff I've ever heard. There music gives voice to everything from the street to magic.

Other artists which have made numerous appearances on our soundtracks: Front 242, Haujob, Moby, Propellerheads, David Bowie, NiN, Bob Marley and the Wailers (essential for those Carib League runs), Black Flag, Bush, Danzig, Frank Sinatra, Johnny Cash, David Brubeck (Corp executives looooove jazz), Rush, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, U2, Alex Cremers (natch), Moby, Wu-Tang Clan, NWA, Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg, DJ Shadow, DJ Krush (Absolutely essential for anything having to do with the Yakuza or Japan), and more that I can't even think of.

If I had to reccomend any three of these to other players it'd be (In no particular order), KMFDM, Front Line Assembly, and DJ Krush.... and I'll cheat and throw in DJ Shadow as a fourth.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Nov 9 2003, 11:39 PM
Post #21

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

Well, if I were to introduce only one artist into my playing, I'd say Juno Reactor.

For rigging/car chases, the Mona Lisa Overdrive (The car chase scene from Matrix 2, nonetheless.) is a must. Fight scenes would definately be Burly Brawl (Fight scene between Neo and the too-many-Smiths CGI scene). Teahouse might be a good fight/escape from death scene.

+Quote Post
Dr Komuso
post Nov 10 2003, 12:26 AM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 4,450

God, can't believe I forgot Juno Reactor. Yes. Most of their Matrix stuff is really good, but some of their other stuff is amazing.

Massive Attack is another great one.

+Quote Post
Pistons
post Nov 10 2003, 02:24 PM
Post #23

Not Cameron Diaz

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 188

QUOTE (Kurukami)
General sound is easy enough... I've been working on putting together a CD with lyrics that fit, and come up with some weird ideas.

Don Henley - "In a New York Minute" (about all those runners, SINned and SINless, who run afoul of forces larger than they are)
Ronny Jordan - "The Jackal" (concerning that ever-so-smooth cybered runner with the Braggart flaw)
Black Eyed Peas - "Anxiety" (the song for chip addicts everywhere)
Disturbed - "Down with the Sickness" (goblinization, anyone?)

It's still in the making. Any song suggestions, lyrics-wise?

Yup. Any song from haujobb's Solutions for a Small Planet. Go here, scroll down on the frame on the left to find the links to said songs, and check'em out.

Here's one example, "Clockwise" -
an ultimate time physically natural decay cell cosmetic just
let us stay forever brainless humanoids avoid the automatic
switch - off safety copies of oneself with no consciousness
potential material biofunctional design artificial but alive
somehow completely existent remake post biological age do we
have to stay in this cage

Or, "Net Culture" -
zeitgeist too old to see not enough memory for being here
golden ages transform higher quality net culture juggling
with stock options diamond age in brilliant light private
eye high energy updated source smore memory no human
difference the only terminal velocity time shortening
access no loss of time crackdown wired to life freeware
everywhere contemporary

+Quote Post
Liquid_Obsidian
post Nov 10 2003, 06:17 PM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 5,775

Combat / action :
Rammstein (all) / RATM (sleep now in the fire, vietnow , bulls on parade) / Pantera (cowboys from hell for rigger ;-) )
Mood:
Dead can dance / NOFX / Offspring
Magical:
Metaplane: New age / Metal (maybe black , depends)

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Nov 10 2003, 06:54 PM
Post #25

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

Guess Im in the minority. I only used music once, and so I was told it was to good effect. However it was for a halloween run, so its kind of a wash. Recorded a lot of little strange things, like what a car sounds like driving down a backroad from the inside. In fact now that I think of it, Im pretty sure I used more random sound then I did actual music...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:51 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.