IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shielding Focus - the price is right, right?, Also - Absorption & Reflection Q
HappyDaze
post May 23 2007, 10:24 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,669

The Shielding Focus seems a really good deal at only Force x 5,000 :nuyen: . It doesn't appear to be limited to a single category of spells like a Counterspelling Focus, but it is also not useful for any use of Counterspelling other than Spell Defense. Yeah, that's typically what you see runners using Counterspelling for, but there are a whole lot of other uses for the skill. Sadly, some (like Cleansing and Filtering) don't really get anything from a Counterspelling Focus either.

I guess that the bargain price of the Shielding Focus is made up for by the high availability, the high bonding cost, and the fact that the user needs to be an initiate with Shielding to get any benefit from it. Still, I figured I'd check here to see if the listed price is correct.

Also, will a Shielding Focus assist in Absorption and Reflecting tests? I ask becasue these both are based upon Shielding, but each seems to use their own system.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post May 24 2007, 12:44 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

The cost listed in Street Magic is correct.

Re: Absorption and Reflecting -> Technically, the focus specifies the Shielding metamagic, and if you're using Absorption or Reflecting you're not actually using Shielding per se (it proved overly powerful in certain playtest situations). Ultimately, however, the ruling is up to the GM.

+Quote Post
Athanatos
post May 25 2007, 05:12 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 11,228

Hmm, I could definately see a reflecting foci. I'm thinking like in Incarnations of Immortality: For love of Evil, when Perry reflects a curse back at an evil sorceror.

Absorbtion too, of course!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:17 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.