Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Channeling Questions
HappyDaze
post May 30 2007, 07:36 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,669

All of these apply to a spirit using Possession along with the magician using Channeling metamagic.

1 - Can the spirit provide Aid Sorcery to the spells cast by the magican while the spirt is utilizing Possession?

:S Got to go. More later.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HappyDaze
post May 30 2007, 07:49 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

OK, I'm back.

2 - Can the magician cast spells whiel possessed? I know that the answer is 'no' without Channeling, but channeling allows the use of the magician's skills (presumably including skills linked to special attributes such as Magic)?

3 - If the answer to the above is 'yes' then does the magician still use his own Magic, or does he use the possessing spirit's Magic rating? What about spells - the magician's own or just what the Spirit knows?

+Quote Post
knasser
post May 30 2007, 07:50 PM
Post #3

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

In non-numerical order (you posted whilst I was replying), the answer is "no" without Channeling as you said. That is because the mage no longer has access to his skills. With channeling, a strict RAW interpreation says "yes" but the mage will be using the spirit's magic attribute.

This seems a little odd depending on what you think the magic attribute means. The special attributes of the dual creature (i.e. Magic and Edge) are still those of the possessing spirit. You can see why a GM might disallow it.

But if casting of spells is allowed, then you might be allowed to use Aid Sorcery at the same time. The issue is that I believe Aid Sorcery is a complex action, so a GM might consider there to be a problem with the new dual entity stacking up actions like that. I would allow it in this instance however, and I think most other GMs would also. Don't count on it though. And don't count on being allowed to cast spells for certain. IANYGM.

-K.

+Quote Post
HappyDaze
post May 30 2007, 08:18 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

I'm the GM, I'm just asking to get a good feel for how a Hedge Magician with a powerful Ally Spirit would operate.

BTW, I could not find what type of action Aid Sorcery would be. Where did you find it? Also, it would be a Complex action to Aid Counterspelling? That seems pretty harsh.

+Quote Post
knasser
post May 30 2007, 08:24 PM
Post #5

Shadow Cartographer

QUOTE (HappyDaze)
I'm the GM, I'm just asking to get a good feel for how a Hedge Magician with a powerful Ally Spirit would operate.

BTW, I could not find what type of action Aid Sorcery would be. Where did you find it? Also, it would be a Complex action to Aid Counterspelling? That seems pretty harsh.

I couldn't. I've just always played that way. I did look before I posted and was unable to find it which was why I edited my post to say that I only believed it was a complex action. It makes sense to me as I see it as the mage and spirit "casting together." I think other people will have to chime in here to say how they handle it.

As you're the GM, it's a pretty big decision as to whether or not a channelling mage can cast spells as it changes the usefulness of the metamagic quite a lot. But strict RAW says yes, and you cut yourself off from some interesting villains if you say otherwise, so I go with it for both of these reasons. I don't think it unbalances things.

I hope that helps,

-K.

+Quote Post
GWCarver
post May 30 2007, 08:59 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 9,557

I GM a game with a priest with channeling. I have no problem letting him cast spells while channeling. To me its seems very appropriate. I do not let him use aid sorcery at the same time. Like Knasser said, its a dual entity and they can't both act at the same time.

+Quote Post
HappyDaze
post May 30 2007, 09:06 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

I'm pretty clear on how Possession works, but I'm not finding Channeling to be as easy. Strictly by RAW, the only change is that the Possessing spirit can now use the Magician's skills (apparently with the Spirit's Mental and Special Attributes) but that it now resists with the lower set of Mental Attributes. No so great really.

I'm thinking that I'll just drop Channeling and have the Magician use Astral Projection while the Ally uses the Body. I'm guessing that this should work out just fine - the Magician astrally projects under the normal rules while the Ally uses Possession to wear the unoccupied body.

I've seen Aid Sorcery played as not requiring any action on the part of the Spirit. The Magican simply 'pulls' as he casts (or counterspells) and the extra power is there through the conduit created by Binding the Spirit. I'm now wondering if this interpretation is correct.

+Quote Post
knasser
post May 30 2007, 09:21 PM
Post #8

Shadow Cartographer

QUOTE (HappyDaze)
I'm pretty clear on how Possession works, but I'm not finding Channeling to be as easy. Strictly by RAW, the only change is that the Possessing spirit can now use the Magician's skills (apparently with the Spirit's Mental and Special Attributes) but that it now resists with the lower set of Mental Attributes. No so great really.

I'm thinking that I'll just drop Channeling and have the Magician use Astral Projection while the Ally uses the Body. I'm guessing that this should work out just fine - the Magician astrally projects under the normal rules while the Ally uses Possession to wear the unoccupied body.

I've seen Aid Sorcery played as not requiring any action on the part of the Spirit. The Magican simply 'pulls' as he casts (or counterspells) and the extra power is there through the conduit created by Binding the Spirit. I'm now wondering if this interpretation is correct.

I'm afraid to say, that the key thing with Channeling is to make sure the spirit that possesses you is a powerful one. If you possesses yourself with a Force 3, you're weakening yourself as regards certain forms of attack. Still, if you prepare your troll samurai as a vessel, that Force 3 will be just fine. ;)

There's a precedent for possessing the bodies of astrally projecting mages in that Shedim can do it. The text does sort of present it as an exception however. The realisation that any old voodoo spirit can walk into their bodies while they're out will definitely concern your players, however. You'd better give some thought as to how a returning mage would drive the spirit out. Could this mean the Banishment rules will finally see some use? :D

+Quote Post
HappyDaze
post May 30 2007, 09:38 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

I'm afraid to say, that the key thing with Channeling is to make sure the spirit that possesses you is a powerful one. If you possesses yourself with a Force 3, you're weakening yourself as regards certain forms of attack. Still, if you prepare your troll samurai as a vessel, that Force 3 will be just fine.

You can't use Channeling when a spirit uses Possession on anyone other than youself, right? So that Troll samurai is out of luck.

+Quote Post
knasser
post May 30 2007, 09:54 PM
Post #10

Shadow Cartographer

QUOTE (HappyDaze)
I'm afraid to say, that the key thing with Channeling is to make sure the spirit that possesses you is a powerful one. If you possesses yourself with a Force 3, you're weakening yourself as regards certain forms of attack. Still, if you prepare your troll samurai as a vessel, that Force 3 will be just fine.

You can't use Channeling when a spirit uses Possession on anyone other than youself, right? So that Troll samurai is out of luck.

Yes. The troll samurai is out of luck....

... but you're not. :D

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:18 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.