> Real Fichetti Pain Inducer?
Tarantula
post Jun 1 2007, 12:45 AM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,686

Microwave Video

I've no idea if this is a real video, or completely made up, maybe some of you guys can figure it out. Either way, pretty neat if it worked.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Jun 1 2007, 01:23 AM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,440

Just another group of beings trying out for their Darwin Award.

Magnetrons and microwaves are not to be payed with at all. Well ok only in the US Military. I serious doubt the microwave from that could be felt a beyond 10 feet.

My Fire Control Radar from my USN service days, put out 2,000 kilowatts in a beam, yes at 200 feet you could feel it. But it had a 10,000 volt power supply fueling it, that is why I no longer wear my white gold wedding band, forgot to take it off one day, ZAPP!!. The wattage on most household microwaves is 1000 watts or less now.

Now the Radar that put out 10 Megawatts in a beam,,,well it killed flying seagulls that flew thru the beam at "close ranges".

To me the effects were staged.

WMS

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Jun 1 2007, 01:26 AM
Post #3

Dragon

Note, RADAR uses different frequencies of microwaves different from those used in microwave ovens, so, the fact that you weren't heated by the waves from your radar use/experience, is not really relevant in that the wavelengths used were different from those used by the microwave oven.

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Jun 1 2007, 01:35 AM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Tarantula)
Note, RADAR uses different frequencies of microwaves different from those used in microwave ovens, so, the fact that you weren't heated by the waves from your radar use/experience, is not really relevant in that the wavelengths used were different from those used by the microwave oven.

Well lets see my radars interfered with FAA landing Approach Radars, California Highway Patrol Radar Guns, FAA IFF beacons and the list can go on.

Radars use different frequency for different uses, shorter waveforms for shorter ranges and better definition, longer waveforms for greater distance but less definition.

It was not the frequency I was speaking about but the Power of the house hold microwaves. Off the cuff, the effective range of harmful microwaves from that rigg would be under 20 feet if they boosted the power going into the magnetron. Unboosted under 10 feet. But 200 feet,,,staged.

But from what I recall you feel the microwaves in your eyes and if male testicals, but I never tested that out, I took their word on that.

I do not recall seeing them use waveguide to transmit the signal...but maybe for those ranges they did not need them.

WMS

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Jun 1 2007, 02:30 AM
Post #5

Dragon

The fact that your radar interfered with other radars is moot. Microwaves used for radar are a different frequency of those used in microwave ovens. No matter how much power you pump through radar frequency microwaves, you'll never heat up your glass of water, or cook that tv dinner with one.

The frequencies used in a microwave oven however, do cause heat to be generated from their reactions with water. So, saying that there is insufficient power to cause an effect is incorrect, as I'm sure the microwave oven in question is in fact able to heat up a glass of water, or cook a tv dinner.

Thusly, the question is more, is the effect caused the one depicted in the video, or is it something much less dramatic. Also, at what ranges would such an effect be caused.

Your time spent using RADAR systems while interesting, is utterly and completely irrelevant. Not to mention anecdotal evidence at best.

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Jun 1 2007, 02:50 AM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Tarantula)
The fact that your radar interfered with other radars is moot. Microwaves used for radar are a different frequency of those used in microwave ovens. No matter how much power you pump through radar frequency microwaves, you'll never heat up your glass of water, or cook that tv dinner with one.

The frequencies used in a microwave oven however, do cause heat to be generated from their reactions with water. So, saying that there is insufficient power to cause an effect is incorrect, as I'm sure the microwave oven in question is in fact able to heat up a glass of water, or cook a tv dinner.

Thusly, the question is more, is the effect caused the one depicted in the video, or is it something much less dramatic. Also, at what ranges would such an effect be caused.

Your time spent using RADAR systems while interesting, is utterly and completely irrelevant. Not to mention anecdotal evidence at best.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I was using that as examples of different frequencies used in radars.

This kinda like saying it is the voltage that kills you, no it is the amps that kill you. I have been shocked by a 10,000 volt power supply, why am I alive, in large part due the amps were not there.

It is not the just the frequency of the microwaves that causes molecules to rub to together but the power and the frequency together.

All RF energy can cause tissue damage, but it is the power that determines the amount of damage you take and how quickly it occurs.

Klystrons, magnetron's, traveling wave tubes(TWATS) are all devices that allow more power to input with the frequency, to do things like "heat" the food etc, bounce off objects.

The frequency and power determines how fast the food heats up.

To say that only a specific range of frequencies is used by microwave ovens is not correct, the same for saying that RADARs only use a certain part.

Go back to school and read up of RF theory and microwaves. You must have missed this part in the class. :)

+Quote Post
Demon_Bob
post Jun 2 2007, 01:35 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,226

It looks like it would be more dangerous to the wielder than the target.

Especially if it was targeted at a couple of people I know and they realized what you were holding.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Jun 2 2007, 01:57 AM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (Tarantula @ May 31 2007, 07:30 PM)
The fact that your radar interfered with other radars is moot.  Microwaves used for radar are a different frequency of those used in microwave ovens.  No matter how much power you pump through radar frequency microwaves, you'll never heat up your glass of water, or cook that tv dinner with one.

Microwave ovens are typically centered at channel 6 on B&G band wireless network cards and APs. The wireless signal is 0.1 watt or less, the oven is 1500 watts. Which is a key part of how you build a 1500 Watt wireless network jammer.

Well, no this isn't safe. Even vaguely.

+Quote Post
Slump
post Jun 2 2007, 06:00 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,492

A agree that the effects shown were staged. Why? They did a really bad job on the 'zap a cat' part. The camera position changes, and the cat just flat dissapears. It doesn't run, it vanishes. Not a good sign for 'legit' microwave shenanigans.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jun 2 2007, 07:34 AM
Post #10

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Microwave ovens work because they're small metal boxes that the microwaves can't escape from. With a microwave gun you're only going to get a tiny percentage of your input wattage onto your target.

+Quote Post
MaxHunter
post Jun 2 2007, 08:21 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

From: Montevideo, in the elusive shadows of Latin America
Member No.: 7,727

Btw: microwave ovens were invented after some guy noticed how his chocolate melted while he was working with radars. Nobody can say that the two are not related. Power and frequency matter, and for heat what matters more is power.

Oh, and I don't buy the video either.

Cheers,

Max

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:21 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.