Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Integral sound suppressor, hopefully a quick question
yoippari
post Jun 1 2007, 08:02 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,865

I checked back three of four pages in two different searches and couldn't find anything.

Are integral suppressors like on the Smartgun X subject to the 300 round life expectancy that the suppressor accessory is? If so are they replaceable or is the gun essentially insuppressible at that point. Also is your answer RAW that I couldn't find or a common houserule?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kzt
post Jun 1 2007, 08:13 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

Real world, really well built suppressors will outlive the barrel of an automatic weapon. Surefire has a piece where they shoot out 5 or so M4 barrels using the same (glowing red hot) suppressor firing as fast as they can. Many silencers have wipes and other parts that need to be replaced. But I don't think the body actually wears out and needs to be thrown away.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Jun 1 2007, 09:35 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Wipe style suppressors are obsolete and are not really used by anyone anymore. Modern suppressors are good for several thousand rounds

+Quote Post
FriendoftheDork
post Jun 1 2007, 04:26 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 9,300

Oh, and don't think suppressors are that good. A -2 to hear the gunfire should be sufficent penalty.

Hollywood still tends to overrate the effectiveness of silencers and suppressors, even in Prison Break someone fires a silenced pistol in a room and one of the people in the next room barely hears the sound of the spent casing hitting the floor.... yeah right! Silenced weapons are loud still.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jun 1 2007, 04:28 PM
Post #5

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

You might be surprised at how quiet a silenced subsonic round can be.

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post Jun 1 2007, 05:27 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,630

QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)
Oh, and don't think suppressors are that good. A -2 to hear the gunfire should be sufficent penalty.

Hollywood still tends to overrate the effectiveness of silencers and suppressors, even in Prison Break someone fires a silenced pistol in a room and one of the people in the next room barely hears the sound of the spent casing hitting the floor.... yeah right! Silenced weapons are loud still.

Real world doesn't matter,
SR SHOULD follow hollywood rules on silencers

+Quote Post
MJBurrage
post Jun 1 2007, 06:08 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 11,507

A silencer and a suppressor are not quite the same thing. The former combined with subsonic ammunition, and firing from a closed bolt is silent. The latter is much more common, and simply reduces the volume of the firing weapon.

The "silencer" in SR4 seems to be more of a suppressor. I think it would be more confusing than helpful to now try and differentiate different types of silencers/suppressors, so...

For those desiring uber-stealth I would would make available:

Sub-Sonic Ammunition
This ammunition does not create a small sonic boom when fired. As a result, it applies a –4 dice pool modifier on all Perception Tests to notice the weapon’s use or locate the weapon’s firer. This modifier stacks with the modifier for using a silencer. (–1 damage, +1 AP, 8R, 50¥)

I went with R, because while it might be suspicious on the street, it has a valuable use at target ranges in keeping the neighbors happy.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Jun 1 2007, 06:17 PM
Post #8

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

QUOTE (Jack Kain)

To each their own. Although I might not be a huge fan of making Shadowrun line up with Real World Physics, I've even more revoted by twisting it to Hollywood Physics.

*Edit*

Alsom to answer the OP's question, personally at the moment I assume that internal silencer's are good for the life of the weapon although I'm toying with the idea of charging a monthly 'Maintance' Fee ala Lifestyle to cover for the costs the Runners surely have in keeping their gear in full working order and SOTA.

However, it's low priority for me right now because I figure that 'I'll be able to pull it out of my ARSE' when it is finally released... :cyber:

+Quote Post
kzt
post Jun 1 2007, 07:33 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Ravor)
I'm toying with the idea of charging a monthly 'Maintance' Fee ala Lifestyle to cover for the costs the Runners surely have in keeping their gear in full working order and SOTA.

Consider that they should each be monthly firing a few hundred rounds using pistols or rifles, and a thousand+ using MGs or SMGs to maintain (much less improve) their skills.

+Quote Post
Eleazar
post Jun 1 2007, 08:20 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,130

QUOTE (MJBurrage @ Jun 1 2007, 01:08 PM)
A silencer and a suppressor are not quite the same thing.  The former combined with subsonic ammunition, and firing from a closed bolt is silent.  The latter is much more common, and simply reduces the volume of the firing weapon.

The "silencer" in SR4 seems to be more of a suppressor.  I think it would be more confusing than helpful to now try and differentiate different types of silencers/suppressors, so...

For those desiring uber-stealth I would would make available:

Sub-Sonic Ammunition
This ammunition does not create a small sonic boom when fired.  As a result, it applies a –4 dice pool modifier on all Perception Tests to notice the weapon’s use or locate the weapon’s firer.  This modifier stacks with the modifier for using a silencer.  (–1 damage, +1 AP, 8R, 50Â¥)

I went with R, because while it might be suspicious on the street, it has a valuable use at target ranges in keeping the neighbors happy.

I don't think I would decrease the damage, I do agree with the +AP. Maybe you could get rid of the -1 damage reduce and change the AP to +2 or +3. The AP and damage modifiers would also be variable depending on the muzzle velocity of the bullets. For instance, a SMG with a muzzle velocity of 1476 fps would not be as severely hampered as a Rifle with a muzzle velocity of 2800 fps. I do not know enough about the muzzle velocity of the guns in SR4, and how they differ in each gun. Subsonic rounds would be anything below 1100 fps (feet-per-second), in normal weather conditions. We would also have to reduce the effective range of the gun as well, in some cases it would actually half the effective range.

I have a question that is pertinent to this discussion, what is the muzzle velocity of most pistols, most smg's, most rifles, most hmg's, most sniper rifles, etc? In regards to SR4, would the muzzle velocity of the real-life guns match the muzzle velocities of the guns in SR4?

EDIT: One last thing, if I am correct, most pistols would not even need subsonic ammo, as their muzzle velocity is already subsonic. Is this correct? Does that mean if we introduce the idea of subsonic ammo into SR4 that all pistols should get this same -4 perception bonus?

+Quote Post
yoippari
post Jun 1 2007, 09:01 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Well, this is for a "Down in the Gutter" ganger character. The gun is more for emergencies than a once a week run. I actually see it being used for the occasional driveby more than anything.

Having a suppressor is just ok in that I don't really care if everyone hears a gun go off in the barrens but if I have it do I need to replace it with a 12F aftermarket suppressor which might take a long time to get or is it good "forever".

+Quote Post
djinni
post Jun 1 2007, 09:07 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,934

this made me wonder where is a suppressor for a fubuki?
the bbarrel/integral is the clip...but then can you attach an after market supressor?

+Quote Post
Demon_Bob
post Jun 2 2007, 02:03 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,226

QUOTE (Jack Kain)

Having it take only a combat pass to attach or remove a silencer, just does not sit right with me.

+Quote Post
Demon_Bob
post Jun 2 2007, 02:10 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,226

QUOTE (MJBurrage)
Sub-Sonic Ammunition
This ammunition does not create a small sonic boom when fired. As a result, it applies a –4 dice pool modifier on all Perception Tests to notice the weapon’s use or locate the weapon’s firer. This modifier stacks with the modifier for using a silencer. (–1 damage, +1 AP, 8R, 50¥)

Might suggest reducing the range catagory to the next type as well.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Jun 2 2007, 02:27 AM
Post #15

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Demon_Bob)
Having it take only a combat pass to attach or remove a silencer, just does not sit right with me.

It's fairly accurate with some suppressors. If you have to unscrew retaining nuts,etc it's totally bogus.

A decent article (though remember it is marketing) on suppressors is Surefire's "SUPPRESSOR SCIENCE "

They have a lot more on their site. Despite what they say, other people do make pretty good suppressors and silencers. I've been told that their "no point of aim change" was something original, most manufactures apparently just suggested just not removing the suppressor after you zeroed.

+Quote Post
FriendoftheDork
post Jun 2 2007, 04:11 AM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 9,300

QUOTE (Jack Kain)
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ Jun 1 2007, 10:26 AM)

Sorry, I don't do Shadowrun D20.

SR doesen't have to be realistic, but believable. Silencers and suppressors as undetectable weapons with no drawbacks at all doesen't sit well with me. A true silenced pistol (like the MK-22 navy) with locked slide and subsonic ammo is good for stealthy shooting, but even so the clack of hammer and the sound of the bullet will still be there. The main advantage is that most people won't realize a gun has been fired even if they heard the shot.

Supressors is mostly made to make it difficult for the enemy to pinpoint your position, not to avoid hearing you shoot at all.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Jun 2 2007, 10:02 AM
Post #17

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

QUOTE (Eleazar)
I have a question that is pertinent to this discussion, what is the muzzle velocity of most pistols, most smg's, most rifles, most hmg's, most sniper rifles, etc? In regards to SR4, would the muzzle velocity of the real-life guns match the muzzle velocities of the guns in SR4?

Speed of sound is roughly 1100 fps / 340 m/s

The muzzle velocity of most 'normal' pistols is somewhere around the speed of sound. As a sample, .45 and come .40, .38 spl, and 9mm loads are subsonic. .357, .44. 10mm. most 9mm loads, etc are supersonic.

Typical pistol round speeds 800-1300 fps / 250-370 m/s

Pistol rounds fired from sub-machine guns are almost invariably supersonic, due to the longer barrel of the SMG giving them another 100 fps/30 m/s in velocity. Expect velocities in the range of 1000-1400 fps / 310-430 m/s

For rifle rounds fired from very compact carbines/smgs the rounds will be going much faster, around 1300-1800 fps / 400-550 m/s

For military rifles, bullet velocity goes from around 2600-3100 fps / 800-950 m/s with the lower velocity range comming out of rifles with shorter barrels / carbines.

For sniper and anti-material rifles, they will typically have velocities around 850-1000 m/s. The anti material rifles just throw a much larger projectile.

Maximum projectile velocity is determined by the gas expansion rate of the explosive used to fire the projectile, the maximum speed for an explosive driven projectiles is somewhere around 2000-2500 m/s. Of course, the 'practical' maximum velocity is considerably smaller.

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Jun 2 2007, 06:14 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Maximum projectile velocity is determined by the gas expansion rate of the explosive used to fire the projectile, the maximum speed for an explosive driven projectiles is somewhere around 2000-2500 m/s.  Of course, the 'practical' maximum velocity is considerably smaller.

Just to give an example of bullet speeds aside from smallarms:

A 105mm APFSDS-T round fired from the L7 cannon of a Leopard 1A5 battle tank has a muzzle velocity of ~1450 m/s or ~4760 fps - 4.2 times the speed of sound.

+Quote Post
yoippari
post Jun 3 2007, 06:46 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

So by RAW the integral suppressor does or does not have the 300 round life span of the accessory suppressor?

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Jun 3 2007, 12:13 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

Suppressors actually do a great job at reducing firearm sound. Many people just don't realize how loud firearms really are. Even phrases like "The only sound you hear is that of the action cycling" is a little misleading. When you read "action cycling" think "one big piece of metal hitting another big piece of metal really hard."

A quality suppressor can reduce the peak sound volume by 30dB. This is enough to turn "painfully, stunningly, your ears making disturbing whistling noises afterwards, loud" into just "loud". It also makes the gunshot sound less like a gunshot, and more like someone dropping something onto a bare floor.

Suppressor manufacturers today (2007) are developing technology where sound from one part of the silencer partially cancels out sound from another part of the silencer. I think in 2070, this will give rise to smart silencers that can adjust themselves on the fly to optimise for ambient weather conditions. This might give you a 40 or even 50 dB suppressor.

I'll second KZT's link to the Surefire site. It's a good intro to suppressors.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Jun 3 2007, 06:31 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

QUOTE (yoippari)
So by RAW the integral suppressor does or does not have the 300 round life span of the accessory suppressor?

The book doesn't say. I'd say the 300 round lifetime is BS and I'd ignore it.

+Quote Post
yoippari
post Jun 4 2007, 12:25 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Ok, stupid, no make sense, fluff mechanic is considered ignored. With the original question out of the way then I'll leave you guys to your suppressor effectiveness debate.

+Quote Post
Eleazar
post Jun 4 2007, 01:40 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (kzt @ Jun 3 2007, 01:31 PM)
QUOTE (yoippari @ Jun 2 2007, 11:46 PM)

The book doesn't say. I'd say the 300 round lifetime is BS and I'd ignore it.

I personally would ignore the unintegral 300 round life span as well.

EDIT: One more thing, I about fell out of my chair when I read the words "cool science". Who the heck does marketing for these people?

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Jun 4 2007, 02:54 PM
Post #24

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

QUOTE (Ed_209a)
Suppressor manufacturers today (2007) are developing technology where sound from one part of the silencer partially cancels out sound from another part of the silencer. I think in 2070, this will give rise to smart silencers that can adjust themselves on the fly to optimise for ambient weather conditions. This might give you a 40 or even 50 dB suppressor.

QFT

You guys have to remember, you need to add 40 years to SOTA in order to get where SR is at.

+Quote Post
Eleazar
post Jun 4 2007, 03:20 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (Fix-it)
QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Jun 3 2007, 12:13 PM)

QFT

You guys have to remember, you need to add 40 years to SOTA in order to get where SR is at.

Except this isn't an absolute rule in SR, some of this alleged future tech in SR is more like slightly improved, if at all, modern tech. This is most especially the case with guns. Think of how much has improved with guns from WW2 and now. Technological progress seems to be moving even faster(could just be me, or my limited POV), so unless it hits a wall, I think we would see more change by 2070.

So yeah I guess I agree with you in terms of where I think SR should be in 2070, but then again I disagree in terms of where SR actually is in 2070.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 08:52 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.