Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Great Awakened Pig, Biggest Hog Ever
Trigger
post Jun 2 2007, 09:14 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,215

Recently the biggest hog ever was found and killed. The thing is 9'4" long and weighs over a 1000 pounds, making it now my example of a great and dangerous awakened animal. But if it is around now, what is going to happen when the Awakening actually does happen?
The pig and story found here...

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MITJA3000+
post Jun 2 2007, 10:54 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,552

Interesting stuff. Makes you wonder how big animals are there, in places where humans don't dwell.

Kinda weird though, isn't .50 a big round? And this kid is 11, blasting away with that handcannon...

+Quote Post
Trax
post Jun 2 2007, 11:49 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,924

He was surely holding it with both hands, as apparently anyone using it would. Unless you are Cybered, or a Troll. Maybe even an Ork.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jun 2 2007, 02:51 PM
Post #4

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

I'd be interested in examining that photo.

By the look of it on the link site, it could have been posed in such a way as to make the pig look bigger by having the kid farther back in the field of view than is implied.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 2 2007, 03:09 PM
Post #5

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Or just superimposed, yeah. I'm not exactly ready to call it a fake, but the fact that no part of the kid overlaps any part of the pig triggers warning bells.

~J

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jun 2 2007, 04:21 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Every couple of years you get another pigzilla out of Georgia.

+Quote Post
djinni
post Jun 2 2007, 04:31 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,934

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Or just superimposed, yeah. I'm not exactly ready to call it a fake, but the fact that no part of the kid overlaps any part of the pig triggers warning bells.

~J

that and other issues.
all the pics of the pig do that (there are only 3) instead of the plethora that there would normally be
the weight of the pig is wrong, the scales supposedly used weigh to the nearest tens not the nearest ones.
in addition no one saw it weighed, a pig of that size you'd be showing everyone, not keeping it a secet.
in addition no one has confirmed it.
I'm already calling it fake. based on they are not acting like someone would if they had really bagged that animal, in addition to the previously mentioned items

+Quote Post
bclements
post Jun 3 2007, 05:12 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,021

One, that pig used to be someone's pet (I.E. wasn't born wild). The kid probably could have walked up to it and put a round in it's head.

Two, this looks to be in a fenced-in game hunting ground. As someone that still hunts occassionaly, I guess I'm ok with that, but don't try to let on that you've slogged through swamps tracking this monster boar and just barely fended it off before putting it down. This was a trophy 'go shoot this now, son', not a hunt in any sense that I'd use the word.

EDIT:

Kinda weird though, isn't .50 a big round? And this kid is 11, blasting away with that handcannon...

Oh yeah, the hog hunters I know don't let their kids out with them until older than that kid. And it's usually done with handguns, .44mag or something similar; wild hogs are typically found (at least around here) in fairly heavy brush. You wouldn't necessarly be able to raise a rifle at all.

+Quote Post
Demon_Bob
post Jun 4 2007, 12:20 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,226

QUOTE (pbangarth)
I'd be interested in examining that photo.

By the look of it on the link site, it could have been posed in such a way as to make the pig look bigger by having the kid farther back in the field of view than is implied.

Ya I noticed that the pig is a little to Out of Focus.

I'm crushing your head. I'm crushing your head.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Jun 4 2007, 06:35 AM
Post #10

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

So if I'm reading this right, the story consists of someone's pet pig being sold, put in a large pen and then shot at repeatedly by an eleven year old who's father is subsequently very proud of him.

Is that the gist of it?

+Quote Post
Angelone
post Jun 4 2007, 07:21 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 7,409

Yes, yes it is :(

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jun 4 2007, 01:28 PM
Post #12

Old Man of the North

Yes, it does sound bad when put that way. As disgusting as it seems to me (if true), there is another take on setting up the kill that way.

A while back I watched a TV documentary showing a lioness (cheetah?) bring home a baby animal for its young to practice killing. It took two days for the young cat to figure out how to kill the thing, and mom had to keep catching it and bringing it back.

So, the dad's behaviour could be said to be natural, if not humane. ;)

+Quote Post
djinni
post Jun 4 2007, 03:07 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (pbangarth)
So, the dad's behaviour could be said to be natural, if not humane. ;)

and still no credible witness has been able to certify the size of the pig.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Jun 4 2007, 03:43 PM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/02/monster.p...g.ap/index.html

The original owner of the pig even says it's a big pig and is pissed that people are saying the photo is doctored.

+Quote Post
djinni
post Jun 4 2007, 06:09 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (PBTHHHHT @ Jun 4 2007, 10:43 AM)
The original owner of the pig even says it's a big pig and is pissed that people are saying the photo is doctored.

I did say credible... >.<

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jun 4 2007, 08:56 PM
Post #16

Old Man of the North

Anybody up for starting a collection to pay for the kid's flight to Germany? Then let him loose in the Black Forest to hunt wild boar. See which one walks out the next day.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Jun 4 2007, 11:25 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

There's another picture with the kid and the wild hog on their homepage: http://www.monsterpig.com/New_Folder/jamison2.jpg

There you can see the ACTUAL size of the pig, confirming that the kid is further back in the cnn picture.

Based on that image, I'd say the animal can't be much longer than 8 feet from snout to the base of it's tail (still impressive, though) - perhaps if you let the tape measure follow the curves of it's back you'll get 9'4"...

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Jun 6 2007, 02:47 AM
Post #18

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

As soon as i heard that, I knew it wasn't a fake. When I lived in NY there was a county farm we'd visit, I'd disturb my husband, who's jewish and deosn't eat prok, by looking at the pigs and refering to them by their cuts- There's bacon, and little ham...etc he got really distrubed when they started responding to the names! But the king boar was in his own pen and was over 1,100 pounds. they had him on a diet. But having seen that monster- Spare ribs-i oculd easily believe in a 1/2 ton pig.

+Quote Post
Demon_Bob
post Jun 6 2007, 03:27 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,226

Sometimes I think the difference between farm kids and city folk is that the farm children expect their pet pigs to end up on the dinner table.

Having both Rammsteign and Ricky Skaggs in the CD player gets some strange looks when its on random play.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jun 6 2007, 04:15 AM
Post #20

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

I remember the old joke about the three-legged super-pig that saved the family from a house fire. Why does it only have three legs? Because you don't eat a pig like that all at once.

However, I must say that hunting this guy was rather wasteful. I'm a catch-and-release advocate, myself. With a pig like that, domesticated as it is, a hunter could just count coup on it without placing himself at undue risk.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Jun 7 2007, 02:16 AM
Post #21

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

How do you hunt and release a ham hock? spare ribs, fat back,chops? Loin? gods i'm getting hungry, where's the apple sauce?

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Jun 7 2007, 03:47 AM
Post #22

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

True, but as big as the pig was it must have been old, and I wonder exactly how much of the meat was worth as anything other then hamburger as tough as it must have been.

Besides, although I've hunted all my life and have killed my fair share of critters for meat as well as 'varment control' I get a little creeped out by people who hunt solely for sport.

Still, too each their own I supose, I don't have to like something to accept its validlity.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 7 2007, 01:43 PM
Post #23

Manus Celer Dei

I'd say that pork wasn't worth much as hamburger. Ground pork, maybe, but I'm sure as hell not paying much for hamburger made from a pig.

~J

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Jun 7 2007, 03:30 PM
Post #24

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Hey now, Pork Burgers aren't too bad. :cyber:

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 7 2007, 03:31 PM
Post #25

Manus Celer Dei

Sure, and chicken tastes good too. But just like I wouldn't pay for chicken labeled as beef, I wouldn't pay for ground pork labeled as hamburger.

~J

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:02 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.