Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hiding that AK, Spotting vs. patdown
psykotisk_overle...
post Jun 6 2007, 09:45 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,817

I just noticed something with the rules for concealing items, and I can't say I like it. I might have missed something though.

Say someone is trying to walk around with an AK-97 hidden under their sweater without arousing suspiscion (yeah right). This weapon can be discovered in two ways, it can be spotted, or discovered in a pat down search.

Say you try to sneak this past a guard with intuition 3, agility 3 and perception 1.
For spotting the weapon he would roll 10 dice (intuition + perception +6 (concealability modifier)).
For discovering the weapon in a patdown searc he would roll 9 dice (intuition + agility + 3 (half concealablity modifiers on searches)).

For me it doesn't make sense because I can understand that a not too alert guy misses a weapon hidden under a sweater, even if it makes the wearer of the sweater look vaguely AK-shaped. How it is possible to miss an assualt rifle in a search however, escapes me.

So, have I missed something in the rules here? Is there a fix?

And I know the guard doing the search would get a chance to spot the weapon first, before doing the search, but that doesn't change the fact that he has a bigger chance of seeing the hidden AK than feeling it beneath the sweater.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Jun 6 2007, 10:12 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

I'd guess they mean x.5 negative modifiers and x1.5 positive modifiers.

+Quote Post
Trax
post Jun 6 2007, 11:57 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,924

During a pat down the weapon should receive no bonus from clothing concealability, relying only on their natural conceal. Clothes might be able to prevent bulging that someone might see, but there is no hiding feeling something the shape and size of an smg. Unless it is very small, they will find everything he is carrying.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jun 6 2007, 02:24 PM
Post #4

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Trax)
During a pat down the weapon should receive no bonus from clothing concealability, relying only on their natural conceal. Clothes might be able to prevent bulging that someone might see, but there is no hiding feeling something the shape and size of an smg. Unless it is very small, they will find everything he is carrying.

That may be true in real life.

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post Jun 6 2007, 02:27 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 8,445

"Yo, Trog, how did they miss that AK? I mean, they damn near patted you down all over!"

"They no do full cavity search..."

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jun 6 2007, 05:15 PM
Post #6

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Trolls getting a universal concealability bonus is an entirely different debate. :-P

+Quote Post
WhiskeyMac
post Jun 7 2007, 03:38 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,789

That comment reminds me of the Spacious Anus edge/flaw. That was hilarious.

+Quote Post
Kerris
post Jun 7 2007, 04:17 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,360

As far as I know, there's no official errata, but I figure there are two ways of fixing it.

1) Only negative modifiers are halved for searches. Positive ones stay the same.
2) The concealability modifier during searches is the original concealability plus the absolute value of half of the concealability. So, in programming terms:

var c = concealability;
cSearch = c + abs(c/2);

So, if concealability = -4, then cSearch = -4 + abs(-4/2) = -4 + 2 = -2

If concealability = +6, then cSearch = 6 + abs(6/2) = 6 + 3 = 9;

That's my fix, anyways.

+Quote Post
tehbighead
post Jun 7 2007, 04:22 AM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 11,788

at the OP:: i believe that you're misreading the rules. during a physical search, concealability modifiers are applied at half their value. that means concealed holsters, deep pockets, etc. only lend half of their benefit, but it by no means infers that an item's concealability rating itself should be halved.

ex. the AK has a concealability rating of +6 [adding dice to any test to detect it] and a loose jacket gives, say, -1. it's modified rating would be +5, but during a physical search, the -1 would be completely nullified due to halving the gear's concealability and then rounding down.

physical searches, in this sense, are more effective than mere perception tests.

+Quote Post
Kerris
post Jun 7 2007, 04:25 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,360

Ooh, good point. I hadn't even thought of that.

+Quote Post
Wiseman
post Jun 7 2007, 02:00 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,911

Though its a little vague, you could rule a character can only roll the opposed Palming + Agility (or agility -1) test to actively hide an item during the perception test and not for a physical patdown on anything other than a "small object" since palming does refer to small objects.

Example:
I could hide a rifle from a guards sight by keeping my front to him and the rifle under the sweater in the back.

But if he pats me down, there isn't any way a rifle (not a small object) could be moved around (under a sweater no less) without him noticing.

However if it was a hold-out pistol, you could palm it for a moment and put it back in your pocket after he patted down that area.

Also perception tests have lots of modifiers on page 117 BBB. Such as your friend distracting said guard with banter for a -2 perception modifier, the distance from the guard, etc. Though cybereyes and the possibility the concealing person looks out of place or is drawing attention could work in the opposite way.

Also another big difference is MAD Scanners to detect weapons (think the wand in the airport). Chances are these are hand held or "walk through" devices mean more for physical searches than a guard watching people entering a building from a balcony.

Basically no matter how you cut it, its pretty damn hard to hide a rifle or panther assault cannon in anyplace but a crowded public with a lined coat and a low low profile.

:twirl:

+Quote Post
psykotisk_overle...
post Jun 7 2007, 02:40 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,817

QUOTE (tehbighead)
at the OP:: i believe that you're misreading the rules. during a physical search, concealability modifiers are applied at half their value. that means concealed holsters, deep pockets, etc. only lend half of their benefit, but it by no means infers that an item's concealability rating itself should be halved.

ex. the AK has a concealability rating of +6 [adding dice to any test to detect it] and a loose jacket gives, say, -1. it's modified rating would be +5, but during a physical search, the -1 would be completely nullified due to halving the gear's concealability and then rounding down.

physical searches, in this sense, are more effective than mere perception tests.

You might be right, that certainly sounds plausible. That sounds like it could work, so no matter what the original rules actaully were I think I'll go with that.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jun 7 2007, 03:04 PM
Post #13

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (tehbighead)

You would be deliberately misinterpretating the fact that the Concealability Modifier of an Assault Rifle is +6. The AK does not have a concealability rating of +6. The AK has a concealability modifier, same as that of a long coat with hidden pockets. The object itself has no Concealability Rating, the object confers a Concealability Modifier.
Basically no matter how you cut it, its pretty damn hard to hide a rifle or panther assault cannon in anyplace but a crowded public with a lined coat and a low low profile.
As I said before, in real life, it might be so. In SR however, it might not be.

+Quote Post
Wiseman
post Jun 7 2007, 03:26 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

I agree that in a pat-down the +6 modifier would be halved as well. Touch isn't as dominant a sense as sight is and clothing and body types would get in the way. Plus how thoroughly do you search the trolls crotch exactly? a quick pat or a full grope.

As I said before, in real life, it might be so. In SR however, it might not be.

keyword is might. but if you look at perception rules, and then figure in enchancements from cyberware and scanners and such. It can get pretty difficult to conceal large items.

In the end it depends on the security, could you sneak the rifle into a dimly lit hole-in-the-wall drinking spot with an underpaid novacoked out bouncer, most likely. Could you get it past the front desk of almost any megacorp building, doubtful.

+Quote Post
djinni
post Jun 7 2007, 04:17 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,934

stop looking at a single instance, it gets very annoying (not for me but for whoever is looking at the instance)
you say it should be easier to find a concealed item in a pat down but you say that the +6 for the assault rifle shouldn't be halved...
waht about the -8 for the hold out pistol? if the +6 is not halved then the -8 should not be either...but then you loop the logic because that would make it easier...

+Quote Post
Wiseman
post Jun 7 2007, 07:17 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

stop looking at a single instance, it gets very annoying (not for me but for whoever is looking at the instance)
you say it should be easier to find a concealed item in a pat down but you say that the +6 for the assault rifle shouldn't be halved...

Who are you referring too?

A modifier is a modifier + or - so they'll both be halved for a pat down (things like clothes, harmless items in your pocket, body characteristics make it harder to distinguish by touch alone).

"Sir! theres something hard here!" "Uh, thats my cyber torso implant for my bad back, doc said it would straighten out my spine"

A guard just looking at you will use the Perception test.

A guard searching you will use perception test and then a pat down test. That right there almost doubled his chances of finding it. A smart guard will use a scanner and both the above.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jun 7 2007, 10:26 PM
Post #17

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

I've also applied a bonus to pat down searches if the person doing the pat down has a touch link installed. Granted, there's no rules for what a touch link could give you, but it does say that one "allows for the processing of tactile information (texture, temperature, etc.)" so things that could be missed during a cursory pat down without a touch link might become more obvious with one. 'Course, that's not RAW, it just my attempt to make touch links do something.

+Quote Post
WhiskeyMac
post Jun 7 2007, 11:20 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,789

I still don't understand Touch Links either. I give them the ability of a set of AR gloves with the added benefit of being like force feedback clothing for AR. But, I still don't understand WTF they do.

+Quote Post
djinni
post Jun 7 2007, 11:41 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,934

QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
I still don't understand Touch Links either. I give them the ability of a set of AR gloves with the added benefit of being like force feedback clothing for AR. But, I still don't understand WTF they do.

<hic #1 sticks his finger in a steaming pile of...um....you know...>
hic #2 "Gee bubba whaz dat feel like?"
<hic #1 sends the data from his sense link to hic #2>
hic #1 "Like dat!"

+Quote Post
Wiseman
post Jun 8 2007, 01:12 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

<hic #1 sticks his finger in a steaming pile of...um....you know...>
hic #2 "Gee bubba whaz dat feel like?"
<hic #1 sends the data from his sense link to hic #2>
hic #1 "Like dat!"

hic #2 that better be an extra nutty snickers your squeezing!

image link, touch link, sound link are like individual parts of a sim module. Mostly used to interpert AR signals or direct connections from other sources.

In the future, comments like go frag yourself can be pretty literal.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:50 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.