> Movement rules with skates
GrinderTheTroll
post Jun 11 2007, 08:54 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,465

Hi everyone,

Anyone have some ideas about how to incorporate skates/skiis/skateboards during combat? One of my group members had Cyberskates in SR3 and SR4 doesn't yet count for these.

Here's what we've devloped so far:

New Skill: Skating/Skiing (Agility)

Like adding extra meters-per-Combat-Turn for Runnings, Skating will allow the player to make a similar test for both Walking or Running.

For "Walking" movement, Make a Skating Test (Skill+Agility) adding additional dice for cyberware/bioware that grants Athletics bonus dice and adjusting for Terrain/Speed. Every 2 hits (round up) adds 1 meter to the number for "Walking" for the Combat Turn.

For "Running" movement, same as "Walking" except every 2 hits (round up) adds 4 metes to the total distance for the Combat Turn.

A Skating Test (2) should be made on any 1 Action during the players Combat Turn to keep from falling. This should be modified by Speed and Terrain.

No solid rules on gliding/coasting, but we are considering having the player spend at least "Walking" points to keep speed and only "Running" points will allow a speed increase. We are also considering your skill either dictating top-speed in some way (dice penalties?).

This is a work in progress and your input is welcome.

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Jun 11 2007, 08:58 PM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,440

<<runs and hides waiting for FrankTrollman to give an example of enhanced movement>> :rotfl:

You have asked, you get more than what you have asked for...... :D

Frank it is your call, step up please. :)

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jun 11 2007, 09:00 PM
Post #3

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

I would think "skating" would be a valid specialization of athletics, not its own skill.
Flat increase to walking and running speeds, slightly different but analgous test for running.
You don't want to roll tests for every "walking" action though, that'll grind the game to a halt.
Oh, and maybe a penalty to avoid knockdown, but you probably don't really want your players rolling every action to not fall down.

+Quote Post
odinson
post Jun 11 2007, 09:04 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,383

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)

Like adding extra meters-per-Combat-Turn for Runnings, Skating will allow the player to make a similar test for both Walking or Running.

I would probably go for a strength based skill. You don't have to be too agile to stand on skates or to skate. To go fast you have to be strong. Strong legs will push you much faster than agile ones. I would probably just make skating a specialization of both running and gymnastics. Running would cover anything to do with skating and gymnastics would cover tricks like rail slides or flips or anything like that.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Jun 11 2007, 09:49 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

QUOTE (odinson @ Jun 11 2007, 02:04 PM)
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Jun 11 2007, 03:54 PM)

I would probably go for a strength based skill. You don't have to be too agile to stand on skates or to skate. To go fast you have to be strong. Strong legs will push you much faster than agile ones. I would probably just make skating a specialization of both running and gymnastics. Running would cover anything to do with skating and gymnastics would cover tricks like rail slides or flips or anything like that.

We also argued over Agility/Stregnth, both are important. Agility seemed more useful for Walking while Stregnth seemed more applicable to Running.

We avoided adding a flat move increase since skill really seems to dictate how fast you can skate. Tony Hawk can probably get more movement than somebody with a few weeks practice.

I know it's messy, but SR3 movement with skates is just really, really broken IMO.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Jun 13 2007, 04:51 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

So after thinking more about this I think my group's going to handle skates using the vehicle rules:

New skill would be Metahuman Powered Vehicle (Reaction) : Specializations (Skates, Skateboards, Skiis, Bicycles, etc.)

Acceleration will be the players Stregnth and each hit on the Test will bump this +1 instead of +5. Handling bonus will probably be +3/+4. The unsolved part is Top speed.

Considering a level surface (no +/- grade) top speed should be based on Stregnth, perhaps racial Running Movement + Stregnthx5 ? I've yet to do some emperical analysis on staking top-speeds, but I think we are going down a better path here.

As always, feel free to comment.

Thanks,

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:06 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.