Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Magic Fingers
Blink
post Jun 14 2007, 08:09 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,791

I had two questions about the Magic Fingers spell on page 203.

First, can you sustain the spell and in the next round cast Death Touch or Heal and use it to deliver the spell to a target in your line of sight?

Second, can Magic Fingers cross the plane boundries? For example, if you are projecting on the astral plane, can you use magical fingers to attack or heal someone on the physical plane if they would not otherwise be in your line of sight if you stopped projecting? Sorry for the wordy question...it just seems to be a gray area in the rules.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jun 14 2007, 08:20 PM
Post #2

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

1. No; I wouldn't allow Magic Fingers to extend touch range to LOS.

As for the second one, I'm not sure. I can't recall any specific rule that says physical spells cannot be cast from the astral plane. It does specify that astral beings can only be targeted by Mana spells unless they have a physical Materialization (i.e., spirits). But, your question seems to be casting from the astral a Physical spell to interact with a Physical target (i.e., a teammate). My gut says no.

+Quote Post
Noctum
post Jun 14 2007, 08:24 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 4,256

Magic Fingers is a Physical Spell and only Mana spells function in the Astral Plane.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jun 14 2007, 08:27 PM
Post #4

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

Yeah, regardless of whether or not you can cast the spell, it's still not going to do anything and you're going to suffer drain. In other words, it's not going to work.

+Quote Post
djinni
post Jun 14 2007, 08:46 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,934

bad runner no nuyen!

the point to alway slook at is not whether or not it CAN be done, but should it.
if you could cast physical spells from the astral plane then the team gets ambushed from the astrally projecting magician, POW POW POW!!!

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Jun 15 2007, 02:23 AM
Post #6

Man Behind the Curtain

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Blink)
Second, can Magic Fingers cross the plane boundries? For example, if you are projecting on the astral plane, can you use magical fingers to attack or heal someone on the physical plane

I would say that this means no.
QUOTE (Page 173 @ SR4 PHB)
Similarly, a magician in astral space can only cast spells on targets that have an astral form (though the auras of things in the physical world can be seen, auras alone cannot be targeted)

+Quote Post
laughingowl
post Jun 16 2007, 11:42 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,895

QUOTE (Blink)
Second, can Magic Fingers cross the plane boundries? For example, if you are projecting on the astral plane, can you use magical fingers to attack or heal someone on the physical plane if they would not otherwise be in your line of sight if you stopped projecting? Sorry for the wordy question...it just seems to be a gray area in the rules.

A better way to ask this.

Can Mgic Fingers be cast on the physical plane and then sustained, while the mage astral projects to see the object they want to manipulate.

(The ultimate safe bomb disposer).

Mage Sight Googles to get line of site: Anaylze Device on Bomb. (Ideally cast by back-up mage on main disposer)

Magic Fingers: cast and then sustained.

Astral Project from safe distance to bomb.
Have elemental take over sustaing magic fingers (to ditch the penalty), have magic fingers disarm the bomb.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Jun 16 2007, 11:44 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

A bomb is complex technical device. Yow are not going to see anything useful looking at it from the astral. Other then possibly confirmation that it is a bomb by seeing the intent and hatred/anger of the guy who built it.

+Quote Post
laughingowl
post Jun 16 2007, 11:48 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Hmm true, and actually thinking back no reason technologica viewing at this point couldnt be used for the magic fingers.

So could the astral projecting mage 'Punch' somebody (on the physical) with the mage fingers, not real effective, but then unless they could go astral there isnt anything the opposing side could do?

+Quote Post
knasser
post Jun 17 2007, 12:24 AM
Post #10

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (laughingowl)
Hmm true, and actually thinking back no reason technologica viewing at this point couldnt be used for the magic fingers.

So could the astral projecting mage 'Punch' somebody (on the physical) with the mage fingers, not real effective, but then unless they could go astral there isnt anything the opposing side could do?

Swap Magic Fingers for Levitate. I can't think of anything in RAW that would actually stop this. It's an interesting idea. Don't know why it hasn't come up before.

-K.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jun 17 2007, 01:12 AM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

you cannot project a spell across planar boundaries. a spell is other on the physical plane, or the astral plane, and you cannot cast between them.

+Quote Post
laughingowl
post Jun 17 2007, 02:05 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Jaid that is the catch:

"and you cannot cast between them."

You cast Magic fingers on the mundane...

You Sustain Magic Fingers on the mundane ...

You Astral Project and move towards some place and use the magic fingers (which are on the physical plane).

Spells can be sustained from anywhere.

Magic fingers can interract with anything you can see.

I can see nothing in the 'rules' that would stop it, although I guess the quetion would be 'can the mage 'see' the people to punch them' He can see 'their aura's' but that arguabley is not quite the same thing.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jun 17 2007, 02:07 AM
Post #13

Great Dragon

you don't have physical LOS to the target from the astral. therefore, you cannot change the direction or effect of a magic fingers spell from the astral.

you could sustain it and have it just hold something in place, or constantly rotate it, but you couldn't change the orders.

+Quote Post
laughingowl
post Jun 17 2007, 02:15 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Knasser:

Well levitate (if you mean the target could be problematic) (since you would have to levitate the target 'before' projecting'

Control line would be good accept for the general very short duration.

Shape Material could be interesting.

'Shape' a tunnel for you crew to escape.
Sustain the spell and get in vehicle, astral project back to the tunnel, when/if follow shape the tunnel closed again.....

It is given that a spell can be sustained across the planes (even meta); however, can it be 'directed' across the planes...

Nothing says no...

But then nothing says yes?

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Jun 17 2007, 04:54 AM
Post #15

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

This gives me an even better idea. Cast your magic fingers, and sustain it, then cast clairvoyance, and use your new sight plane to control the magic fingers.

While clairvoyance does say you cannot use it to target with other spells, you're not. You're simply controlling your sustained spell which has already been cast.

Anyone find something that says no?

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jun 17 2007, 04:57 AM
Post #16

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

You need actual LOS to control sustained spells. Clairvoyance will help you get a better view but it won't work through walls. You need an actual LOS.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jun 17 2007, 04:59 AM
Post #17

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

In fact p. 204

"The spell can reach any point the caster can see, and Clairvoyance
or remote-viewing technology can be used to get a close-up
of the scene as long as it is within the caster’s normal line of
sight. This spell comes in very handy for disarming bombs
and handling other hazardous work from a safe distance."

Darn someone though of it already! (Check the within normal line of sight clause)

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Jun 17 2007, 05:01 AM
Post #18

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

:vegm:

Just remember that anything your Mage can pull off so can my Mages, and I get more of them to play around with.

Seriously though, although I think that it may be legal under RAW I don't believe that Controlling a spell is the same as Sustaining a spell so it wouldn't work in my games unless the Mage still had 'real' LOS and was just using Clairvoyance to remove any 'Remote Control Modifiers' he might have while disarming the bomb.

*Edit*

Hmm, good, it seems that I don't have to plug another leak in RAW after all.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Jun 17 2007, 09:37 AM
Post #19

Shadow Cartographer

Hmmm. So I think we're probably mostly agreed that RAW doesn't forbid this. I guess the useful question now is should it? Are we opening ourselves up to abuse with flying knives and The Amazing Grenade Swarm (watch it buzzing it's way through the corridors of the site, dropping off one or two of it's number every now and then, as it passes).

-K.

+Quote Post
Da9iel
post Jun 17 2007, 10:26 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,367

When did this agreement come? You can sustain a physical spell from astral space, but you don't have LOS to control it. There is no LOS from the astral plane to the physical plane. You can see auras and shadows, but you cannot see the physical plane.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Jun 17 2007, 12:32 PM
Post #21

Shadow Cartographer

QUOTE (Da9iel)
When did this agreement come? You can sustain a physical spell from astral space, but you don't have LOS to control it. There is no LOS from the astral plane to the physical plane. You can see auras and shadows, but you cannot see the physical plane.

You can still perceive the physical world whilst astrally projecting. It says that details are hazy, not that you are blind. I'd consider that more than enough to float a grenade about. If a GM definitely ruled otherwise, then I would have my mage Manifest which is defined as "the opposite of astral projection - the extending of senses into the physical plane." (SR4, pg. 184). I think you'd have to be pretty biased against this happening in the first place to rule against that one.

And if a GM was adamant that somehow being able to see in the physical world via Manifesting was for some inexplicable reason not able to provide a line of sight to the thing that had a spell sustained on it, then I'd just sustain Clairvoyance at the same time. You can't use them for casting spells, but this isn't about casting spells.

I'm satisfied that RAW allows manipulating your spells whilst on the astral. My question now, is whether it is necessary to start coming up with house rules and fluff to prevent it?

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jun 17 2007, 06:31 PM
Post #22

Great Dragon

well, if you're determined to interpret the rules such that it allows that kind of nonsense, then i suppose you would need to add some houserules to remove it.

otherwise, you're pretty much looking at anyone who spends the points on ritual sorcery and telling them they're an idiot, because this sort of thing is *exactly* what ritual sorcery is for.

seriously, you need to have LOS to cast a spell, and you need to have LOS to control it. if you can't get LOS to cast a spell from the astral to the physical, then how does it make sense that you can get LOS from astral to physical for sustaining [edit] controlling purposes?

[edit] i really need to figure out how to do strikethrough text on these boards... pretty sure i've seen it here before, so i just need to quote the right post i guess =P [/edit]

This post has been edited by Jaid: Jun 17 2007, 06:39 PM

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post Jun 17 2007, 06:35 PM
Post #23

Runner

Member No.: 8,445

Magic fingers, the poor mages Orgasm spell... :D

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jun 17 2007, 08:39 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

I would disallow this because:

1) The divide between astral and physical planes, and the inability to affect targets in one plane from another, has been established in every edition of SR. The only exception was the old rules for grounding (which still needed a dual-natured object to work), which were removed for being unbalancing.

QUOTE (Pg. 173)

"... a magician in astral space can only cast spells on targets that have an astral form (although the auras of things in the physical world can be seen, auras alone cannot be targeted)."

2) Assuming an astral form (an exclusive action under SR3) would both disrupt the concentration required for a sustained spell, and disrupt line of sight.

QUOTE (Pg. 174 (emphasis mine))

"If an area-effect spell is sustained, the affected area may be moved with a Complex Action, as long as it remains within line of sight."

Of course, it could be argued the other way. But there is enough justification within RAW to disallow it, so I probably would, since it would open up such a big can of worms.

+Quote Post
Da9iel
post Jun 18 2007, 01:11 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,367

What they said!

P. S. Jaid: strikethrough is [ s ]nevermind[ /s ] (without the spaces of course).

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:10 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.