Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Double tapping attribute boost
sunnyside
post Jun 18 2007, 04:56 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,502

I'm helping a new player with a character and they're looking to have a single boostable attribute.

I was thinking of close combat, and how you can't do much with a simple action there. So what could they do with a spare simple action if they boost?

What about boosting again? I could see a couple ways this could work.

1. They stack bonus but not time (alowing you to go up to your racial maximum)

2. They stack time, but not bonus.

3. They operate simultaniously, but don't stack. So essentially you're just taking the better of the two.

4. You have to "cancel" the first before trying a second.

5. You can't cancel have to wait until it runs out to try a second.

In all cases you still take drain from both.

Personally I'm leaning towards 3.

If not 1, 2 or 3 can you think of something good to do in CC with a simple action?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jun 18 2007, 05:00 PM
Post #2

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

I would go with 4. You boost, let the boost go (suffering drain), and can then boost again. The last paragraph for attr. boost is as follows:

The attribute bonus from Attribute Boost is not compatible with any other attribute augmentations, whether from implants or spells, with the exception of the Improved Physical Attribute adept power.

... which specifically indicates that boost is only compatible with the imp. physical attr. power which means it isn't compatible with itself. Thus, 1 and 2 are out at the very least.

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post Jun 18 2007, 05:07 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,301

Dashifen probably has it right, but I'd let them use #3, because it seems fair. Of course, they'd end up suffering drain from both.

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Jun 18 2007, 05:19 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 392

I think that 4 is the way to go too. It is basically a re-roll and keep the result. It is only slightly different than 3 in that you have to give up your original bonus and might get a better or worse result for the second.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Jun 18 2007, 05:23 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,502

First off if I wanted to be a real RAW lawyer it does say that it isn't compatable with any other attribute augmentations. Implying self compatability.

Beyond just opinions is there any precidence in the FAQ on similar subjects or whatnot?

For example there is a little precidence in the rules for 3 because that's how armor works. Doing something again to extend time/services is also popular. For example wards, sprites, and spirits.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jun 18 2007, 06:14 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

QUOTE (Dashifen)
... which specifically indicates that boost is only compatible with the imp. physical attr. power which means it isn't compatible with itself. Thus, 1 and 2 are out at the very least.

2 is not actually out. with 2, you're not getting any further bonus to your attribute--you're just increasing the amount of time the power which provides the bonus lasts.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:18 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.